Windows 10: Create Remote Desktop Connection Shortcut for Specific PC in Windows

Discus and support Create Remote Desktop Connection Shortcut for Specific PC in Windows in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Create Remote Desktop Connection Shortcut for Specific PC in Windows How to Create Remote Desktop Connection Shortcut for Specific PC in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Dec 1, 2017.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Create Remote Desktop Connection Shortcut for Specific PC in Windows

How to: Create Remote Desktop Connection Shortcut for Specific PC in Windows

How to Create Remote Desktop Connection Shortcut for Specific PC in Windows

Create Remote Desktop Connection Shortcut for Specific PC in Windows [​IMG]
    Information You can use the Remote Desktop Connection (mstsc.exe) or connect to and control your Windows PC from a remote device. When you allow remote desktop connections to your PC, you can use another device to connect to your PC and have access to all of your apps, files, and network resources as if you were sitting at your desk.

This tutorial will show you how to create a custom Remote Desktop Connection (RDC) shortcut for a specific computer in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10.

Note You must enable Remote Desktop on a PC to allow remote connections to the PC.

The Remote Desktop client does not support connecting to the Windows editions below. See: Supported PCs
    • Windows 7 Starter
    • Windows 7 Home
    • Windows 8 Home
    • Windows 8.1 Home
    • Windows 10 Home
    EXAMPLE: Remote Desktop Connection shortcut to specific PC

Here's How:

1. Right click or press and hold on an empty area on your desktop, and click/tap on New and Shortcut.

2. Type the location below you want to use into the location area, and click/tap on Next. (see screenshots below)
    *Arrow mstsc.exe /v:Computer Name

(Start RDC in full-screen mode)
    *Arrow mstsc.exe /v:Computer Name /f

OR

*Arrow mstsc.exe /v:IP Address

(Start RDC in full-screen mode)
    *Arrow mstsc.exe /v:IP Address /f

Note Substitute Computer Name in the command above with the actual computer name (ex: "Brink-Laptop") of the PC you want to connect remotely to.

Substitute IP Address in the command above with the actual IP address (ex: "192.168.1.133") of the PC you want to connect remotely to.

More usage options for "MSTSC" command:

3. Type a name (ex: "Brink-Laptop RDC") you want for this RDC shortcut, and click/tap on the Finish button. (see screenshot below)

4. If you like, you can assign a keyboard shortcut to, or move this shortcut to where you like for easy use.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Dec 1, 2017
  2. Yuri Nathan, Oct 26, 2019
  3. MichelB62 Win User
    Shortcut to (specific) Remote Desktop?

I created a shortcut to start a remote desktop session (Right click on the desktop, choose New > Shortcut). When I click it my browser is started, after which the remote desktop is started. How can I cut starting the browser out of this process?

MichelB62, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Kari Win User

Remote Desktop Connection problems

Have you tried Remote Desktop Connection, to connect from your Windows 10 laptop to your Windows 7 desktop? Try it first, post back and tell how it went.

Some additional help because you mentioned you are a remote newbie *Wink. The windows 7 related tutorials from our sister site the Seven Forums:

1. On Windows 7 desktop, set network location to either Home or Work (I recommend Work):
    2. On Windows 7 desktop, allow incoming remote connections:
    3. On Windows 7 desktop, find out its IP address:
    4. On Windows 10 laptop, start the Remote Desktop application and connect to the Windows 7 desktop using the IP address from step 3 above (see Part Three in the tutorial):
    Try the above, post back how it went.

5. Amit_Sun Win User
    Create Ethernet adapter shortcut on the desktop.

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

To create the Ethernet shortcut on your desktop, you can follow the step provided below.

Step: Create Ethernet shortcut on the desktop.

1. Press Windows + R key on your keyboard together.
    2. Type in ncpa.cpl
      and hit enter.
    3. You will see all your network adapter.
    4. Right click on your desired adapter and click on
      Create Shortcut and allow the prompt.
    5. Or you can drag and drop the network adapter on the desktop that will create a shortcut too.
    6. You can now right on the shortcut on your desktop and disable and enable internet connection.

If you still face the issue, reply to this post with more information.

Hope it helps.

Amit Sunar

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Amit_Sun, Oct 26, 2019
  6. Desktop Shortcut Icons

Hi Mik-Dav,

The desktop shortcut created for a specific website should bear the website's actual logo. With what you've experienced, there could be something wrong with how the shortcut was created.

If you've created the shortcut by selecting Create shortcut, then we suggest that you try the other way, that is by dragging the website icon that appears in the address bar to your desktop. Follow these steps:

• Using Internet Explorer, access a website.
    • Once the website opens, you will see its icon in the address bar.
    • Click and drag the icon on your desktop.

The website shortcut bearing its actual logo should now be saved on your desktop.

Let us know if you need further help.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

1. Create Remote Desktop Connection Shortcut for Specific PC in Windows - Similar Threads - Create Remote Desktop

2. Cannot create remote connection to PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot create remote connection to PC: I have a server for a local network, and I would like to be able to access it remotely using built-in Windows features if possible. I have tried setting up a VPN on the server using these instructions, while setting up the port forwarding on our router. When trying to create...
  3. Cannot create remote connection to PC

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot create remote connection to PC: I have a server for a local network, and I would like to be able to access it remotely using built-in Windows features if possible. I have tried setting up a VPN on the server using these instructions, while setting up the port forwarding on our router. When trying to create...
  4. Cannot create remote connection to PC

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Is there a shortcut to create desktop shortcuts ?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there a shortcut to create desktop shortcuts ?: I'm working on a software to help blind people use computers, and I'm searching for a way for them to create desktop icons/shortcut to Web sites. Is there a way to do this only using the keyboard ? I tried using the Shift + F10, but this doesn't work if an icon is selected,...
  6. Is there a Remote Desktop specific for Windows 11?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is there a Remote Desktop specific for Windows 11?: Is there a Remote Desktop specific for Windows 11? Before I upgraded from Windows 10, my connection had been fine. Since being on 11, it's slow at best despite fast network connection, and frequently hangs or drops the connection. My local machine is the Windows 11, and I'm...
  7. Is there a Remote Desktop specific for Windows 11?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is there a Remote Desktop specific for Windows 11?: Is there a Remote Desktop specific for Windows 11? Before I upgraded from Windows 10, my connection had been fine. Since being on 11, it's slow at best despite fast network connection, and frequently hangs or drops the connection. My local machine is the Windows 11, and I'm...
  8. [Q] Desktop shortcut to connect to a SPECIFIC wireless display

in Windows 10 Customization
    [Q] Desktop shortcut to connect to a SPECIFIC wireless display: Hey guys! Windows 10 1909 here. Is there anything I can do to make a shortcut or a batch file that allows me to stream my Surface Go screen on my Samsung TV automatically without the need to click on the tv tab that opens on the right? I mean, I have already created a...
  9. Remote Desktop Connection Unmutes Remote PC

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Remote Desktop Connection Unmutes Remote PC: I use Remote Desktop Connection via a VPN from my home laptop to my work desktop, both of which are using WIN10. Whatever the sound settings are on my desktop doesn't affect my remote session. My remote session is always unmuted and always at 100% when I start it. I can mute...
  10. Creating a desktop shortcut

in Browsers and Email
    Creating a desktop shortcut: All I want to do is create a Desktop shortcut & icon for Microsoft Edge. Simple I thought, but I cannot do it. If I move an icon in the source folder, either an exe or lnk, to the Desktop it does not launch when clicked, or when I click open or run as Admin. Sometimes I cant...