Windows 10: Create This PC Shortcut in Windows 10

Discus and support Create This PC Shortcut in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Create This PC Shortcut in Windows 10 How to Create a This PC Shortcut in Windows 10 [img] Information My Computer was changed to This... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by hb860, Oct 31, 2014.

1. hb860 Win User

Create This PC Shortcut in Windows 10

How to: Create This PC Shortcut in Windows 10

How to Create a This PC Shortcut in Windows 10

Create This PC Shortcut in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information My Computer was changed to This PC in Windows 8.1 and Windows RT 8.1. You would open File Explorer to view This PC.

In Windows 10, File Explorer now opens to Quick access by default instead of This PC.

This tutorial will show you how to create or download a This PC shortcut that you can use anywhere in Windows 10.

CONTENTS:

EXAMPLE: This PC

OPTION ONE [/i] To Download a "This PC" Shortcut
    1. Click/tap on the Download button below to download the .zip file below.
    This_PC_shortcut.zip

Download
    2. Save the .zip file to your desktop.

3. Unblock the .zip file..

4. Open the .zip file, and extract (drag and drop) the shortcut to your desktop.

5. You can assign a keyboard shortcut to, or move this shortcut to where you like for easy use.

6. When finished, you can delete the downloaded .zip file if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Manually Create a "This PC" Shortcut
    1. Right click or press and hold on an empty area on your desktop, and click/tap on New and Shortcut.

2. Copy and paste either location below into the location area, and click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)
    %windir%\explorer.exe "

OR

%WinDir%\explorer.exe /e,::{20d04fe0-3aea-1069-a2d8-08002b30309d}

OR

explorer.exe shell:::{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}

3. Type This PC for the name, and click/tap on the Finish button. (see screenshot below)
    NOTE: You could name this shortcut anything you would like though.

4. Right click or press and hold on the new This PC shortcut, and click/tap on Properties.

5. Click/tap on the Shortcut tab, then click/tap on the Change Icon button. (see screenshot below)

6. In the line under "Look for icons in this file", copy and paste the location below, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)
    %windir%\System32\imageres.dll

7. Select the icon highlighted in blue above, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot above)
    NOTE: You could use any icon that you would like instead though.

8. Click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below step 5)

9. You can assign a keyboard shortcut to, or move this shortcut to where you like for easy use.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

hb860, Oct 31, 2014

2. Microsoft Store Download

download store

This PC - Shortcut, Oct 31, 2014
  3. How do I created a desktop shortcut for Office Home and Student 2010 on my Windows 10 PC?

*Original Title: shortcut for Office in Windows 10

How do I created a desktop shortcut for Office Home and Student 2010 on my Windows 10 PC?

rbs-jos2500, Oct 31, 2014
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

That's one of the points of this shortcut. *Wink

Brink, Nov 1, 2014
  5. topgundcp Win User
    Not really sure why we need a tut for this ?

topgundcp, Nov 1, 2014
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    The shortcut in this tutorial will have all the items available in it's context menu unlike that one. For example, "Pin to taskbar". Right click on it and see. *Wink

Brink, Nov 1, 2014
  7. topgundcp Win User
    Well, the shortcut in your ZIP file does not default to "This PC" but open "This PC->Documents" and when you pin to takbar, it will do the same.

topgundcp, Nov 1, 2014
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Thank you. Fixed now. *Smile

Brink, Nov 1, 2014
  9. Edwin New Member
    The 'Drag and Drop' method is fine if you just want to pin the shortcut to the Taskbar; Shawn's tutorial method is necessary if you want to keep the shortcut, with the proper shell attributes in the right click context menu, on the Desktop.

Edwin, Nov 1, 2014
  10. netuser Win User
    Thanks for tutorial worked perfectly

However some mentonned that This PC short cut is in Start Menu, but I dont have it (build 9860) I see

Documents
    Pictures
    PC settings
    File Explorer (which bring to Home)

How become you guys have This PC by default in Start Menu?

Also anyone found a way to make icons and text bigger in start Menu as i ave Full HD screen and the text and icons are so tiny *Sad

netuser, Nov 5, 2014
  11. Edwin New Member
    'This PC' may or may not be pinned to the Start List by default but you could fetch it from the 'All Apps' sub menu►'Windows System' folder, (Shift/right click-'Pin to Start List'), or 'Taskbar Properties'►'Start Menu' tab►'Customize'.
    (again, it's not the "shell" shortcut Mr. Brink refers to in the tutorial)

To make icons and text bigger might depend on your resolution but it would be a combination of your DPI scale and choosing a larger immersive scale for the Start Menu in PC Settings►PC and devices►Display►More Options-Larger(or Default).

Edwin, Nov 5, 2014
  12. netuser Win User
    Thanks Edwin for this tip, i was getting blind with this tiny Start Menu lol

For This PC in start Menu if I pin it it shows in Right Panel, while when i look at topgundcp screenshot it is at left side where my file explorer is.

netuser, Nov 6, 2014
  13. Edwin New Member

Edwin, Nov 6, 2014
  14. netuser Win User
    Very neat, thanks *Smile

netuser, Nov 7, 2014
  15. excellent...just what i need..thanks Shawn.

onlytanmoy, Jul 31, 2015
Thema:

1. Create This PC Shortcut in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Create Shortcut

2. Easy Way to Create Desktop Shortcut for Apps

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Easy Way to Create Desktop Shortcut for Apps: The only way I know of to create a desktop shortcut for an app is slightly complicated because I have to hunt down and search for the .exe file and then create a shortcut from that. This is a lot harder than it sounds because I find apps installed in multiple different...
  3. Easy Way to Create Desktop Shortcut for Apps

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Easy Way to Create Desktop Shortcut for Apps: The only way I know of to create a desktop shortcut for an app is slightly complicated because I have to hunt down and search for the .exe file and then create a shortcut from that. This is a lot harder than it sounds because I find apps installed in multiple different...
  4. How to create shortcuts in different ways other then file explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to create shortcuts in different ways other then file explorer: Hi!I need help,I need to create a shortcut for MCAFEE AV antivirus, Microsoft edge, and VMware Workstation 17 - a virtual machine platform that runs windows - mac - linuxI'm running windows 11I am unable to find them at file explorer nor start, However they are installed as i...
  5. How to create shortcuts in different ways other then file explorer

How to create shortcuts in different ways other then file explorer: Hi!I need help,I need to create a shortcut for MCAFEE AV antivirus, Microsoft edge, and VMware Workstation 17 - a virtual machine platform that runs windows - mac - linuxI'm running windows 11I am unable to find them at file explorer nor start, However they are installed as i...
  6. How do I create a desktop shortcut for Gmail in Edge on Windows 11 that actually uses the...

How do I create a desktop shortcut for Gmail in Edge on Windows 11 that actually uses the...: How do I create a desktop shortcut for Gmail in Edge on Windows 11 that actually uses the Gmail icon? I created the shortcut but it defaulted to the Edge icon. When Gmail is pinned to my taskbar, the Gmail icon appears same for Ravelry pin vs. shortcut. Minor vexation here as...
  7. How do I create a desktop shortcut for Gmail in Edge on Windows 11 that actually uses the...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I create a desktop shortcut for Gmail in Edge on Windows 11 that actually uses the...: How do I create a desktop shortcut for Gmail in Edge on Windows 11 that actually uses the Gmail icon? I created the shortcut but it defaulted to the Edge icon. When Gmail is pinned to my taskbar, the Gmail icon appears same for Ravelry pin vs. shortcut. Minor vexation here as...
  8. I have created a GPO to create a URL Shortcut on Desktop but it is not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have created a GPO to create a URL Shortcut on Desktop but it is not working: Dear Support,I have created a URL Shortcut GPO to create a URL based shortcut on desktop but its not working on old profiles. Kindly guide me why is it not working for old user Profiles. I have logged-on the with this new Profile:Kindly guide me.Thanks....
  9. I have created a GPO to create a URL Shortcut on Desktop but it is not working

I have created a GPO to create a URL Shortcut on Desktop but it is not working: Dear Support,I have created a URL Shortcut GPO to create a URL based shortcut on desktop but its not working on old profiles. Kindly guide me why is it not working for old user Profiles. I have logged-on the with this new Profile:Kindly guide me.Thanks....
  10. How can I create shortcut microsoft apps into desktop using screen reader

How can I create shortcut microsoft apps into desktop using screen reader: how can I create a shortcut those apps which I downloaded from ms store with screen reader?I am visually impaired person, I am using computer with Jaws and NVDA.?EI cannot use mouse, Microsoft must care accessibility in microsoft store and its apps....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. This_PC_shortcut.zip window 10