Windows 10: Add or Remove This PC in Navigation Pane in Windows 10

Discus and support Add or Remove This PC in Navigation Pane in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Add or Remove This PC in Navigation Pane in Windows 10 [img] Information This tutorial will show you how to add or remove This PC in the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by John W, Aug 7, 2017.

1. John W Win User

Add or Remove This PC in Navigation Pane in Windows 10

How to: Add or Remove This PC in Navigation Pane in Windows 10

Add or Remove This PC in Navigation Pane in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information This tutorial will show you how to add or remove This PC in the navigation pane of File Explorer for all users in Windows 10.

You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to add or remove This PC in the navigation pane.

Note If you remove This PC from the navigation pane, it will also remove the default This PC This PC shortcut to use instead though.

If you set File Explorer to open to This PC by default and remove This PC from the navigation pane, File Explorer will still open to This PC.

EXAMPLE: Add or Remove "This PC" in navigation pane

Here's How:

1. In the search box on your taskbar or Start menu, type regedit, and press Enter to open Registry Editor.

2. If prompted by UAC, click/tap on Yes.

3. In Registry Editor, navigate to the location below. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}\ShellFolder

4. If you have not already, you will need to first step 3)

5. If you have not already, you will need to second step 3)

6. In the right pane of the ShellFolder key, double click/tap on the Attributes DWORD to modify it. (see screenshot below step 3)

Note If you do not have the Attributes DWORD, then right click on an empty space in the right pane of the ShellFolder key, click/tap on New, click/tap on DWORD (32-bit) Value, type Attributes for the name, and press Enter.

7. Do step 8 (remove) or step 9 (add) below for what you want.

8. To Remove This PC from Navigation Pane
    A) Type in b094010c, click/tap on OK, and go to step 10 below. (see screenshot below)

9. To Add This PC to Navigation Pane
    NOTE: This is the default setting.
    A) In the right pane of ShellFolder, right click or press and hold on Attributes, click/tap on Delete, and click/tap on Yes to confirm. (see screenshot below step 3)
    10. If you have a steps 4 to 7 above for the registry location below.

Note This step is to add or remove This PC from the "Open" and "Save as" type dialogs in 64-bit Windows 10.

This step is not for 32-bit Windows 10.

*Arrow HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Classes\CLSID\{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}\ShellFolder
    11. When finished, close Registry Editor.

12. restart the computer to apply.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

John W, Aug 7, 2017
  2. Tryx3 Win User
    Tryx3, Aug 7, 2017
  3. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello John, *Smile

Change the owner to the "Administrators" group instead, then see if you're able to change permissions.

Brink, Aug 7, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Your screenshot indicates that you changed the owner to the built-in "Administrator" account instead of the "Administrators" group.

Brink, Aug 8, 2017
  5. John W Win User
    That did it! Thanks.
    'till now I didn't know there was a difference.

Any idea why Microsoft keeps claiming that if you are an "Administrator" you have full control of everything on the computer when in fact you are just a user with very little control of anything?

...although on my installation there is no "Attributes" field (attached This PC 2.png).
    Should I try and create an "Attributes" field?

Regards,
    John

John W, Aug 8, 2017
  6. John W Win User
    Never mind on the question of "Attributes", I went ahead and added it in (after reading you tutorial more carefully) and it worked - but not as I had expected.

I was trying to get the Navigation pane to look like a windows 7 pane, just the drives and network showing.

...but I'll continue to struggle with microsoft.

Thanks again,
    John

John W, Aug 8, 2017
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member

Great news John. *Smile

Check the "Related Tutorials" links at the bottom of the tutorial for other add/remove items from the navigation pane tutorials that may help.

Brink, Aug 8, 2017
  8. gutie049 Win User
    Hello, once i get to the "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}\ShellFolder" area in the registry, the "attributes" folder is not visible.

What can be the cause of that?

gutie049, Dec 12, 2017
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello gutie, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

I have added a note under step 6 to help show how to add the "Attributes" DWORD when it's not there by default.

Brink, Dec 12, 2017
  10. gutie049 Win User
    i get an error, do i just not have the right permissions?

gutie049, Dec 12, 2017
  11. Brink
    Brink New Member
    It sounds like you didn't get steps 4 and 5 done first.

Brink, Dec 12, 2017
  12. gutie049 Win User

ok, so i've now completed all steps in both 32 and 64 bit but "This PC" is still appearing in my save as window. Halp

ps. i'm trying this in excel if that means anything

gutie049, Dec 13, 2017
  13. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Unfortunately, it may still show for some programs if they ignore this setting. *Sad

Brink, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Add or Remove This PC in Navigation Pane in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Add Remove Navigation

2. Add or Remove Linux from Navigation Pane in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove Linux from Navigation Pane in Windows 10: How to: Add or Remove Linux from Navigation Pane in Windows 10 How to Add or Remove Linux in Navigation Pane of File Explorer in Windows 10 The Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) is a new Windows 10 feature that enables you to run native Linux command-line tools directly...
  3. Add or Remove Dropbox from Navigation Pane in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove Dropbox from Navigation Pane in Windows 10: How to: Add or Remove Dropbox from Navigation Pane in Windows 10 How to Add or Remove Dropbox in Navigation Pane of File Explorer in Windows 10 Dropbox is a file hosting service operated by American company Dropbox, Inc. that offers cloud storage, file synchronization,...
  4. Add or Remove Google Drive from Navigation Pane in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove Google Drive from Navigation Pane in Windows 10: How to: Add or Remove Google Drive from Navigation Pane in Windows 10 How to Add or Remove Google Drive in Navigation Pane of File Explorer in Windows 10 Google Drive is a file storage and synchronization service created by Google. It allows users to store files in the...
  5. Add or Remove Homegroup from Navigation Pane in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove Homegroup from Navigation Pane in Windows 10: How to: Add or Remove Homegroup from Navigation Pane in Windows 10 [img] Information A homegroup is a group of PCs on a home network that can share devices (such as printers), and libraries (such as your Documents, Pictures, Music, and Video libraries). Using a homegroup...
  6. Add or Remove Network from Navigation Pane in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove Network from Navigation Pane in Windows 10: How to: Add or Remove Network from Navigation Pane in Windows 10 How to Add or Remove Network in Navigation Pane of File Explorer in Windows 10 This tutorial will show you how to add or remove Network in the navigation pane of File Explorer for all users in Windows 10....
  7. Add or Remove Favorites from Navigation Pane in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove Favorites from Navigation Pane in Windows 10: How to: Add or Remove Favorites from Navigation Pane in Windows 10 How to Add or Remove Favorites in Navigation Pane of File Explorer in Windows 10 [img] Information Favorites in the navigation pane is a way to easily access items in your %UserProfile%/Links folder....
  8. Add or Remove Duplicate Drives in Navigation Pane in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove Duplicate Drives in Navigation Pane in Windows 10: How to: Add or Remove Duplicate Drives in Navigation Pane in Windows 10 How to Add or Remove Duplicate Drives in Navigation Pane of File Explorer in Windows 10 [img] Information By default, all removable drives are shown separately in the navigation pane of File...
  9. Add or Remove OneDrive from Navigation Pane in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove OneDrive from Navigation Pane in Windows 10: How to: Add or Remove OneDrive from Navigation Pane in Windows 10 How to Add or Remove OneDrive in Navigation Pane of File Explorer in Windows 10 [img] Information In Windows 10, you can easily save your files to OneDrive and get to them from any device, like your PC,...
  10. Add or Remove User Folder from Navigation Pane in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove User Folder from Navigation Pane in Windows 10: How to: Add or Remove User Folder from Navigation Pane in Windows 10 How to Add or Remove User Folder in Navigation Pane of File Explorer in Windows 10 A user profile is a collection of settings that make the computer look and work the way you want it to for a user...