Windows 10: Curious To Figure When Microsoft Will Address This "Issue"

Discus and support Curious To Figure When Microsoft Will Address This "Issue" in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Okay, so this is not a problem that really bothers me too much, but according to how advanced Microsoft is of a company, I'm still wondering why they... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by pepanee, Oct 24, 2019.

1. pepanee Win User

Curious To Figure When Microsoft Will Address This "Issue"

Okay, so this is not a problem that really bothers me too much, but according to how advanced Microsoft is of a company, I'm still wondering why they haven't addressed this certain "visual issue".

***Please be aware that I am not looking for a solution to this; I am just posting this so, hopefully, Microsoft gets more awareness of it... yet honestly.. who cares, right?***

Whenever you have many files in a folder with the same name, each duplicate name you can rename to add a "(2)" & "(3)" at the end of the file name, and so on... like: File.txt, File (2).txt, File (3).txt, etc...

Yet when the file names are sorted by the default "alphabetical" order in a folder, the "firstly named file" gets listed at the end. (Refer to the attached picture. You can see the "first" file gets listed last, yet all the other ones are listed chronologically, starting from the top.)

...So by now, (the year 2019,) why hasn't Microsoft came up with some sort of solution to list the first supposed file to be listed first in File Explorer?
    Is there a reason why there is no certain "rule" that has been implemented in File Explorer that lists the files the way that it "should" be listed?
    (Also, the same applies for when you create a new folder, and create a new file inside the folder, named File.txt for example, and you copy-paste that file over and over. As a matter of fact, that method makes the listing just a tad bit slightly worse. *Extra Credit!*: Try this method out, and tell us how the listing looks in the folder.)

Please keep note: I'm not trying to "put down" Microsoft's logic or credibility or whatever. I'm just wondering why this weird "idea" doesn't have a realistic "solution" to it yet.

Curious To Figure When Microsoft Will Address This "Issue" [​IMG]

:)

pepanee, Oct 24, 2019

2. Enable or Disable Microsoft Edge Address Bar Drop-down Suggestions in Local Group Policy Editor

How to Enable or Disable Microsoft Edge Address Bar Drop-down Suggestions in Windows 10

Microsoft Edge is a new web browser that is available across the Windows 10 device family. It is designed for Windows 10 to be faster, safer, and compatible with the modern Web.

The Address bar drop-down functionality in Microsoft Edge allows showing suggested search results when typing in the Microsoft Edge address bar (suggestions list).

If you like, you can configure the Allow Address bar drop-down list suggestions group policy setting that lets you decide whether the Address bar drop-down functionality is available in Microsoft Edge. Microsoft recommends disabling this setting if you want to minimize network connections from Microsoft Edge to Microsoft services.

If you enable or don't configure this setting, users can see the Address bar drop-down functionality in Microsoft Edge.

If you disable this setting, users won't see the Address bar drop-down functionality in Microsoft Edge. This setting also disables the user-defined setting, Show search and site suggestions as I type in Microsoft Edge settings.

This tutorial will show you how to enable or disable the Address bar drop-down list suggestions functionality in Microsoft Edge for all users in Windows 10.

*Warning You must be signed in as an administrator to enable or disable the Address bar drop-down functionality in Microsoft Edge.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Enable or Disable Microsoft Edge Address Bar Drop-down Suggestions in Local Group Policy Editor
    • Option Two: Enable or Disable Microsoft Edge Address Bar Drop-down Suggestions using a REG file

EXAMPLE: Microsoft Edge Address Bar Drop-down Suggestions enabled and disabled

OPTION ONE
    Enable or Disable Microsoft Edge Address Bar Drop-down Suggestions in Local Group Policy Editor

*note The Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions.

All editions can use Option TWO below.

1. Open the Local Group Policy Editor.

2. In the left pane of Local Group Policy Editor, navigate to the location below. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Microsoft Edge

3. In the right pane of Microsoft Edge in Local Group Policy Editor, double click/tap on the Allow Address bar drop-down list suggestions policy to edit it. (see screenshot above)

4. Do step 5 (enable) or step 6 (disable) below for what you want.

5. To Enable Microsoft Edge Address Bar Drop-down Suggestions
    A) Select (dot) Not Configured or Enabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

*note Not Configured is the default setting.

6. To Disable Microsoft Edge Address Bar Drop-down Suggestions
    A) Select (dot) Disabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

7. You can close the Local Group Policy Editor if you like.

8. If Microsoft Edge is currently open, then close and reopen it to apply.

OPTION TWO
    Enable or Disable Microsoft Edge Address Bar Drop-down Suggestions using a REG file

*note The downloadable .reg files below will add and modify the DWORD value in the registry keys below.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\MicrosoftEdge\Main

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\MicrosoftEdge\Main

ShowOneBox DWORD

delete = Enable
    0 = Disable

1. Do step 2 (enable) or step 3 (disable) below for what you want.

2. To Enable Microsoft Edge Address Bar Drop-down Suggestions
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Enable_Microsoft_Edge_address_bar_drop-down_list_suggestions.reg

3. To Disable Microsoft Edge Address Bar Drop-down Suggestions
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Disable_Microsoft_Edge_address_bar_drop-down_list_suggestions.reg

4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. If you like, you can now delete the downloaded .reg file.

8. If Microsoft Edge is currently open, then close and reopen it to apply.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

Shawn Brink, Oct 24, 2019
  3. Turn On or Off Search Suggestions in Address Bar of Microsoft Edge for Current User in Microsoft Edge Settings

How to Enable or Disable Search Suggestions in Address Bar of Microsoft Edge in Windows 10

Microsoft Edge is a new web browser that is available across the Windows 10 device family. It is designed for Windows 10 to be faster, safer, and compatible with the modern Web.

As you type in the address bar of Microsoft Edge, search suggestions appear in the address bar drop-down list by default.

This tutorial will show you how to enable or disable search suggestions in the Address bar of Microsoft Edge for your account or all users in Windows 10.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Turn On or Off Search Suggestions in Address Bar of Microsoft Edge for Current User in Microsoft Edge Settings
    • Option Two: Turn On or Off Search Suggestions in Address Bar of Microsoft Edge for Current User using a REG file
    • Option Three: Enable or Disable Search Suggestions in Address Bar of Microsoft Edge for All Users in Local Group Policy Editor
    • Option Four: Enable or Disable Search Suggestions in Address Bar of Microsoft Edge for All Users using a REG file

EXAMPLE: Search Suggestions in Address Bar of Microsoft Edge enabled and disabled

OPTION ONE
    Turn On or Off Search Suggestions in Address Bar of Microsoft Edge for Current User in Microsoft Edge Settings
    1. Open Microsoft Edge.

2. Click/tap on the Settings and more (Alt+X) button (3 dots), and click/tap on Settings. (see screenshot below)

3. Click/tap on Privacy & security on the left side, and turn on or off (default) Show search and site suggestions as a I type for what you want under Privacy on the right side. (see screenshot below)

OPTION TWO
    Turn On or Off Search Suggestions in Address Bar of Microsoft Edge for Current User using a REG file

*note The downloadable .reg files below will modify the DWORD value in the registry key below.

Code:
    ShowSearchSuggestionsGlobal DWORD

0 = Off
    1 = On

1. Do step 2 (on) or step 3 (off) below for what you want.

2. To Turn On Search Suggestions in Address Bar of Microsoft Edge for Current User

Turn_ON_Show_search_and_site_suggestions_as_I_type_in_Microsoft_Edge_address_bar.reg

3. To Turn Off Search Suggestions in Address Bar of Microsoft Edge for Current User

Turn_OFF_Show_search_and_site_suggestions_as_I_type_in_Microsoft_Edge_address_bar.reg

4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. If Microsoft Edge is currently open, then close and reopen the browser to apply.

8. If you like, you can now delete the downloaded .reg file.

OPTION THREE
    Enable or Disable Search Suggestions in Address Bar of Microsoft Edge for All Users in Local Group Policy Editor

*note You must be signed in as an administrator to do this option.

*note If this policy is enabled or disabled, it will override Option One and Option Two for all users.

*note The Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions.

All editions can use Option FOUR below.

1. Open the Local Group Policy Editor.

2. In the left pane of Local Group Policy Editor, navigate to the location below. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Microsoft Edge

3. In the right pane of Microsoft Edge in Local Group Policy Editor, double click/tap on the Configure search suggestions in Address bar policy to edit it. (see screenshot above)

4. Do step 5 (not configured), step 6 (disable), step 7 (enable) below for what you want.

5. To Not Configure Search Suggestions in Address Bar of Microsoft Edge for All Users
    A) Select (dot) Not Configured, click/tap on OK, and go to step 8 below. (see screenshot below)

6. To Disable Search Suggestions in Address Bar of Microsoft Edge for All Users
    A) Select (dot) Disabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 8 below. (see screenshot below)

7. To Always Enable Search Suggestions in Address Bar of Microsoft Edge for All Users
    A) Select (dot) Enabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 8 below. (see screenshot below)

8. You can close the Local Group Policy Editor if you like.

9. If Microsoft Edge is currently open, then close and reopen the browser to apply.

OPTION FOUR
    Enable or Disable Search Suggestions in Address Bar of Microsoft Edge for All Users using a REG file

*note You must be signed in as an administrator to do this option.

*note If this policy is enabled or disabled, it will override Option One and Option Two for all users.

*note The downloadable .reg files below will add and modify the DWORD value in the registry key below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\MicrosoftEdge\SearchScopes

ShowSearchSuggestionsGlobal DWORD

delete = Not Configured (default)
    0 = Disable
    1 = Enable

1. Do step 2 (not configured), step 3 (disable), step 4 (enable) below for what you want.

2. To Not Configure Search Suggestions in Address Bar of Microsoft Edge for All Users
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 5 below.

Default_Not_configured_Microsoft_Edge_search_suggestions.reg

3. To Disable Search Suggestions in Address Bar of Microsoft Edge for All Users
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 5 below.

Disable_Microsoft_Edge_search_suggestions.reg

4. To Always Search Suggestions in Address Bar of Microsoft Edge for All Users

Always_enable_Microsoft_Edge_search_suggestions.reg

5. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

6. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

7. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

8. If Microsoft Edge is currently open, then close and reopen the browser to apply.

9. If you like, you can now delete the downloaded .reg file.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

Shawn Brink, Oct 24, 2019
  4. Curious To Figure When Microsoft Will Address This "Issue"

Microsoft Edge Address Bar

Hi Zach,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community. We appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I suggest you to follow the below steps to open actual address of websites with short forms as you wish:

• Open Microsoft Edge, click on More actions(...) at the right top corner.
    • Click on View advanced settings, under Search in the address bar with
      click on down arrow.
    • Choose <add new>, try to add the default website.
    Secondly, as opening pages in new tab is set by design, I suggest you to provide this as a feedback.

Hope it helps. Feel free to contact us for further assistance, we will be happy to help you.

Deepika Gowda, Oct 24, 2019
Thema:

Curious To Figure When Microsoft Will Address This "Issue"

1. Curious To Figure When Microsoft Will Address This "Issue" - Similar Threads - Curious Figure Microsoft

2. Curious sleep mode issue

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Curious sleep mode issue: Hey guys. So I have a fairly new Win10 Pro 64-bit installation on a high-end Ryzen based gaming desktop and since a week or two, I can't put the PC into sleep mode anymore. When I click on sleep in the power sub-menu of the start-menu, the monitor goes dark as expected, but...
  3. AOMEI and a curious issue with Adobe Reader DC

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    AOMEI and a curious issue with Adobe Reader DC: I wonder if anyone could check this... I'm running AOMEI Professional 5.7.0 having updated from the previous version a couple of weeks ago. I wanted to look something up in the user pdf manual which is installed by default in the AOMEI program files folder and this manual is...
  4. Curious

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Curious: I've been having issues for about a month with my windows 10 on the activation side. I've been getting help through tech support and they got me an ISO to install. My question is - can I still use the key that came pre-installed on my comp, or do I have to go and strike up...
  5. Having a Curious Issue with "Microsoft Office Upload Center"

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Having a Curious Issue with "Microsoft Office Upload Center": So, for the first time (I think ever), Microsoft Office Upload Center opened up on my computer, saying that a file failed to upload. However, when I open it up, there are no documents set to be uploaded, in fact there's no documents anywhere on every part of the list. How do...
  6. Just curious, having issues with Microsoft store again

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Just curious, having issues with Microsoft store again: hi, :). We just had a user update to the latest version of Windows 10 vs 1903 yesterday and the microsoft store apps are no longer working again. I have tried all of the "fixes" found online. Just curious if this is a known issue and if I should just let sleeping dogs lie...
  7. Ms paint issue that I was curious about.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Ms paint issue that I was curious about.: I was working with a scanned picture in paint. I had wanted to outline and color it . Saved a separate copy of the image and when I came back to it, the solid red lines that were used to outline the picture were all different shades of red and pixelated. The fill bucket tool...
  8. Curious

in Windows 10 Support
    Curious: This is a pic of my drive can someone please in simple language atel me what the partitions contain - I have a rough idea but would appreciate knowing what they are 118689
  9. Curious...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Curious...: I'm waiting to see if the new users of Windows 9 still get themselves into trouble as they did with all the other Windows OS's. *Tongue Hopefully, {some} have learned through time, to be vigilant about security. *Wink 1755
  10. Curious

in Windows 10 Support
    Curious: I just read on here that after 30 days when upgrading from 7 to 10 all the 7 files will be deleted, is that true? I created my 2nd drive just to upgrade so don't really care if 7 is deleted unless it creates problems. How I actually got Win 10 to upgrade from 7 I'm not...