Windows 10: Disable group by in Downloads folder

Discus and support Disable group by in Downloads folder in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Ever since Windows 10 has updated to 1903 files in the default Downloads folder are being grouped by date. I tried changing it to none but it keeps... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Zaoshi Kaba, Oct 27, 2019.

1. Disable group by in Downloads folder

Ever since Windows 10 has updated to 1903 files in the default Downloads folder are being grouped by date. I tried changing it to none but it keeps resetting back - sometimes after restart, sometimes just pressing refresh is enough to reset it back. How can I permanently disable grouping?

I am running Windows 10 Version 1903 build 18362.449.

:)

Zaoshi Kaba, Oct 27, 2019

2. Enable or Disable Microsoft Edge Address Bar Drop-down Suggestions in Local Group Policy Editor

How to Enable or Disable Microsoft Edge Address Bar Drop-down Suggestions in Windows 10

Microsoft Edge is a new web browser that is available across the Windows 10 device family. It is designed for Windows 10 to be faster, safer, and compatible with the modern Web.

The Address bar drop-down functionality in Microsoft Edge allows showing suggested search results when typing in the Microsoft Edge address bar (suggestions list).

If you like, you can configure the Allow Address bar drop-down list suggestions group policy setting that lets you decide whether the Address bar drop-down functionality is available in Microsoft Edge. Microsoft recommends disabling this setting if you want to minimize network connections from Microsoft Edge to Microsoft services.

If you enable or don't configure this setting, users can see the Address bar drop-down functionality in Microsoft Edge.

If you disable this setting, users won't see the Address bar drop-down functionality in Microsoft Edge. This setting also disables the user-defined setting, Show search and site suggestions as I type in Microsoft Edge settings.

This tutorial will show you how to enable or disable the Address bar drop-down list suggestions functionality in Microsoft Edge for all users in Windows 10.

*Warning You must be signed in as an administrator to enable or disable the Address bar drop-down functionality in Microsoft Edge.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Enable or Disable Microsoft Edge Address Bar Drop-down Suggestions in Local Group Policy Editor
    • Option Two: Enable or Disable Microsoft Edge Address Bar Drop-down Suggestions using a REG file

EXAMPLE: Microsoft Edge Address Bar Drop-down Suggestions enabled and disabled

Disable group by in Downloads folder [​IMG]

OPTION ONE
    Enable or Disable Microsoft Edge Address Bar Drop-down Suggestions in Local Group Policy Editor

*note The Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions.

All editions can use Option TWO below.

1. Open the Local Group Policy Editor.

2. In the left pane of Local Group Policy Editor, navigate to the location below. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Microsoft Edge

3. In the right pane of Microsoft Edge in Local Group Policy Editor, double click/tap on the Allow Address bar drop-down list suggestions policy to edit it. (see screenshot above)

4. Do step 5 (enable) or step 6 (disable) below for what you want.

5. To Enable Microsoft Edge Address Bar Drop-down Suggestions
    A) Select (dot) Not Configured or Enabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

*note Not Configured is the default setting.

6. To Disable Microsoft Edge Address Bar Drop-down Suggestions
    A) Select (dot) Disabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

7. You can close the Local Group Policy Editor if you like.

8. If Microsoft Edge is currently open, then close and reopen it to apply.

OPTION TWO
    Enable or Disable Microsoft Edge Address Bar Drop-down Suggestions using a REG file

*note The downloadable .reg files below will add and modify the DWORD value in the registry keys below.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\MicrosoftEdge\Main

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\MicrosoftEdge\Main

ShowOneBox DWORD

delete = Enable
    0 = Disable

1. Do step 2 (enable) or step 3 (disable) below for what you want.

2. To Enable Microsoft Edge Address Bar Drop-down Suggestions
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Enable_Microsoft_Edge_address_bar_drop-down_list_suggestions.reg

3. To Disable Microsoft Edge Address Bar Drop-down Suggestions
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Disable_Microsoft_Edge_address_bar_drop-down_list_suggestions.reg

4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. If you like, you can now delete the downloaded .reg file.

8. If Microsoft Edge is currently open, then close and reopen it to apply.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

Shawn Brink, Oct 27, 2019
  3. Enable or Disable Steps Recorder in Local Group Policy Editor

How to Enable or Disable Steps Recorder in Windows

post or send this record to a support professional to help them diagnose the problem.

This tutorial will show you how to enable or disable Steps Recorder for all users in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10.

*Warning You must be signed in as an administrator to enable or disable Steps Recorder.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Enable or Disable Steps Recorder in Local Group Policy Editor
    • Option Two: Enable or Disable Steps Recorder using a REG file

EXAMPLE: Steps Recorder

OPTION ONE
    Enable or Disable Steps Recorder in Local Group Policy Editor

*note In Windows 7, the Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Professional, Ultimate, and Enterprise editions.

In Windows 8, the Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Pro and Enterprise editions.

In Windows 10, the Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions.

All editions can use Option Two.
    1. Open the all users except administrators Local Group Policy Editor for how you want this policy applied.

2. In the left pane of the Local Group Policy Editor, click/tap on to expand User Configuration, Administrative Templates, Windows Components, and Application Compatibility. (see screenshot below)

3. In the right pane of Application Compatibility, double click/tap on the Turn off Steps Recorder policy to edit it. (see screenshot above)

4. Do step 5 (enable) or step 6 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

5. To Enable Steps Recorder
    A) Select (dot) either Not Configured or Disabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

*note Not Configured is the default setting.

6. To Disable Steps Recorder
    A) Select (dot) Enabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

7. When finished, you can close Local Group Policy Editor if you like.

OPTION TWO
    Enable or Disable Steps Recorder using a REG file

*note The downloadable .reg files below will add and modify the DWORD value in the registry key below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\AppCompat

DisableUAR DWORD

(delete) = Enable
    1 = Disable

1. Do step 2 (enable) or step 3 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Enable Steps Recorder
    *note This is the default setting.

Enable_Steps_Recorder.reg

3. To Disable Steps Recorder

Disable_Steps_Recorder.reg

4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

Shawn Brink, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Disable group by in Downloads folder

Disable group by in Downloads folder (Windows 10 1903)

Hi, since I updated to the new Windows 1903 version the files in some folders like
    "Downloads" are always grouped by the date. I was able to disable this in the File Explorer itself by choosing
    "Group by = none". But in all kind of "Save as" dialogs from any application the group by date still appears and in those special explorer windows there is no option to disable file grouping in them. So how can I disable this globally?

chap_sistine, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

Disable group by in Downloads folder

1. Disable group by in Downloads folder - Similar Threads - Disable group Downloads

2. Disable "grouped by date" in Downloads folder and subfolders but preserve it for Pictures...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disable "grouped by date" in Downloads folder and subfolders but preserve it for Pictures...: Hello,I got a real burden with recent update of Windows 11. My downloads directory became grouped in Explorer by date. I can set grouping to none but all subdirectories still remain grouped.So I want to remove grouping from Directory folder and subfolders but preserve...
  3. Disable "grouped by date" in Downloads folder and subfolders but preserve it for Pictures...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disable "grouped by date" in Downloads folder and subfolders but preserve it for Pictures...: Hello,I got a real burden with recent update of Windows 11. My downloads directory became grouped in Explorer by date. I can set grouping to none but all subdirectories still remain grouped.So I want to remove grouping from Directory folder and subfolders but preserve...
  4. Disable file grouping in subfolders in the downloads folder in win 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disable file grouping in subfolders in the downloads folder in win 11: When I go into the downloads folder I have the classic grouping with yesterday, today, this month, etc. The Problem is, that when I go into a subfolder a folder inside of the downloads folder, I still have the same grouping. In subfolders i want no grouping, just like it is...
  5. Disable file grouping in subfolders in the downloads folder in win 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disable file grouping in subfolders in the downloads folder in win 11: When I go into the downloads folder I have the classic grouping with yesterday, today, this month, etc. The Problem is, that when I go into a subfolder a folder inside of the downloads folder, I still have the same grouping. In subfolders i want no grouping, just like it is...
  6. How to permanently disable Group By in Downloads folder Solution

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to permanently disable Group By in Downloads folder Solution: Like many MANY! other people I am as well trying to deal with the incredibly annoying "Group By" view for the Downloads directory. I've tried many "solutions" but none of them were truly permanent. This cancer just keeps coming back again and again. So, is there an actual...
  7. How do I disable grouping by file type in the downloads folder

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I disable grouping by file type in the downloads folder: Hello everyone! So I recently re installed windows 10 1909 and every time i download a file it goes into a folder based on its file type so lets say i download a .zip file it will go into the main downloads folder then a sub folder called archives where the .zip is located....
  8. Downloads Folder - Grouping by Date Modified

Downloads Folder - Grouping by Date Modified: Since the Windows update in June, my Downloads folder is grouping by date modified. I have changed this in File Explorer, but I can't see how to change it when I am saving a file. For instance, if I download an update or a new app, I usually save it to a folder in...
  9. Disable "grouped by date" in Downloads folder completely

Disable "grouped by date" in Downloads folder completely: On Windows 10, latest updates installed (which is what caused this problem in the first place). I do not want this crazy "grouped by date" in the Downloads folder, I have a fairly elaborate folder setup in there and "grouped by date" means I cannot find anything any more. I...
  10. Disable group by in Downloads folder (Windows 10 1903)

Disable group by in Downloads folder (Windows 10 1903): Hi, since I updated to the new Windows 1903 version the files in some folders like "Downloads" are always grouped by the date. I was able to disable this in the File Explorer itself by choosing "Group by = none". But in all kind of "Save as" dialogs from any application the...