Windows 10: DPI settings over 125% produce smaller fonts in some situations.

Discus and support DPI settings over 125% produce smaller fonts in some situations. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I needed fonts on my 24" monitors to be a little larger for my aging eyes. So I settled on 135%. One consequence of doing this is that some fonts are... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by streetwolf, Sep 9, 2017.

1. DPI settings over 125% produce smaller fonts in some situations.

I needed fonts on my 24" monitors to be a little larger for my aging eyes. So I settled on 135%. One consequence of doing this is that some fonts are smaller now. A good example is Task Manager. Other examples are some message boxes. It appears when you go over 125% DPI this font weirdness happens.

First off, does anyone else notice the smaller fonts and if so is there a way to make them bigger? I played around with High DPI Awareness in the registry but can't get larger fonts for those things affected. Perhaps the Creators Update will address this.

:)

streetwolf, Sep 9, 2017
  2. lintekPC Win User

Legacy applications font scaling is blurry in build 10586

This question I'm sure has been addressed many times, yes? I just made a purchase of a Dell Inspiron 13 5000 2-in-1. The system is a pearl accept for the font display in the legacy applications and OS widgets. The only solution seems to be to adjust the
    font scaling and set the DPI value to 125%. This makes everything smaller, yuck! My question, has anyone seen the same on any build 10586 system and then see the problem go away by installing the August update build 14393? Because that is the only software
    related change I haven't tried. Updating Intel display drivers had no effect.

lintekPC, Sep 9, 2017
  3. Dgust Win User
    Disable High DPI Automatic Scaling

Hi,

I have a few systems where I need to disable automatic scaling from occurring when connecting new screens.

Situation

DPI Scaling manually set to 100%

On connection to new screen, DPI Scaling changes to 125% automatically

Question:

How do I disable automatic DPI scaling changing my global settings from 100% to 125% when connecting a new screen?

I am ONLY interested in replies answering my clearly stated question above.

Thanks in advance

Dgust, Sep 9, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

DPI settings over 125% produce smaller fonts in some situations.

Brink, Sep 10, 2017
  5. Unfortunately the Anniversary Update got rid of the menu to change the font sizes as your tutorial shows. This presumably is because MS doesn't want the user to change the UI, at least not easily.

I changed the message box font size in the Registry but it didn't work. It's probably a leftover from the font menu and not tied to anything. Some message box fonts are fine btw. As I said, the most notable example of using a DPI > 125% is Task Manager where the font is even smaller than when I had my DPI at 125%. I know Windows 10 CU has some DPI enhancements so I'm hoping my problems get fixed.

streetwolf, Sep 10, 2017
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Using the .reg files in the tutorials to change the text size still work, but you may need to play with larger sizes until you find one that looks best for you.

Brink, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

DPI settings over 125% produce smaller fonts in some situations.

1. DPI settings over 125% produce smaller fonts in some situations. - Similar Threads - DPI settings 125%

2. How can I set my DPI settings 100% default instead of 125%?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How can I set my DPI settings 100% default instead of 125%?: Hello, I had recieved my laptop for a year now and at first glance, when I play roblox, it's so blury, and it's like roblox is running the resolution at: (quotation mark " means it's the same procedure) 1920 / 125 = 15.36 (then moving the decimal 2 times right) 1080 / 125...
  3. Windows add font 8514oem when I change windows DPI to 125%. Why?

Windows add font 8514oem when I change windows DPI to 125%. Why?: I found this wired font that windows add when I switch windows DPI to 125% font name is 8514oem And It show up when I change windows DPI to 125%. Why windows add this font? Is it bug? You need to sign out and in again after you change DPI [ATTACH]...
  4. My font suddenly gets larger and smaller

My font suddenly gets larger and smaller: I use Windows 10. Have an MSI computer. When I first got it, the font would suddenly get larger and smaller and I would have done nothing to have this happen. I searched for answers and found one that said to go to settings for Mouse & Touchpad, Device and turn off "pinch...
  5. Some Apps & Games force to close when at 125% DPI

Some Apps & Games force to close when at 125% DPI: So it's been bothering me lately that I can't use apps nor play games that are old, examples being Star Wars Battlefront II (2005), Star Wars Rogue Squadron, Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds Yume Nikki, Puyo Puyo 3, and PoD Gold due to their low resolution. (Actually, any...
  6. DPI Settings

DPI Settings: Yesterday I realised that Windows recommend to have the DPI settings at 125% I know that they have changed the whole DPI system in the creators update, but I wonder if there is an article that explain why the setting 125% and not 100% is recommended?...
  7. 10074 DPI settings??

in Windows 10 Support
    10074 DPI settings??: I cannot figure out where the DPI settings have gone in this version, and google is not helping either. No matter what I change, everything is staying small. Anyone know where they have moved this configuration? 5975
  8. Windows 10 DPI-Awareness issues, blurry text 125%

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 DPI-Awareness issues, blurry text 125%: Hi, I don't know if it has been asked before but I have had issues that I can reproduce on both my laptop and desktop, with DPI scaling. Applications like Device Manager would scale fine in 8.1, but in 10 the text is stretched. At 125% the text is blurry, and at 200% it...
  9. Blurry Start Menu titles icons with 125% dpi

in Windows 10 Support
    Blurry Start Menu titles icons with 125% dpi: After switching to 125% DPI the start menu titles become bigger (which is a nice thing) but also some weird blurring filter is applied to icons. Right away after you open start menu the icons are more sharp for 1 second then become blurry, is there any work around to change...
  10. DPI Settings Not Working

in Windows 10 Support
    DPI Settings Not Working: We just got our first Surface Pro 4 tablet in. I'm working on testing it now. For the moment, I have it docked and connected to two 19" monitors. The desktop is extended across all 3 screens. I have the "Change the size of text, apps, and other items" settings as follows:...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. what do i have do when play.me say my dpi is 125%