Windows 10: Enable or Disable Changing Desktop Icons in Windows

Discus and support Enable or Disable Changing Desktop Icons in Windows in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Enable or Disable Changing Desktop Icons in Windows How to Enable or Disable Changing Desktop Icons in Windows Windows includes the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Mar 7, 2018.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Enable or Disable Changing Desktop Icons in Windows

How to: Enable or Disable Changing Desktop Icons in Windows

How to Enable or Disable Changing Desktop Icons in Windows

Windows includes the common This PC, User's Files, Network, Recycle Bin, and Control Panel shortcuts that you can add or remove as icons on your desktop.

By default, users can use the Desktop Icon Settings dialog to show, hide, or change the desktop icons.

This tutorial will show you how to enable or disable changing desktop icons for specific or all users in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10.

*Warning You must be signed in as an administrator to enable or disable changing desktop icons.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Enable or Disable Changing Desktop Icons in Local Group Policy Editor
    • Option Two: Enable or Disable Changing Desktop Icons for All Users using a REG file
    EXAMPLE: Changing desktop icons enabled and disabled

Enable or Disable Changing Desktop Icons in Windows [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] Enable or Disable Changing Desktop Icons in Local Group Policy Editor

*note In Windows 7, the Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Professional, Ultimate, and Enterprise editions.

In Windows 8, the Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Pro and Enterprise editions.

In Windows 10, the Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions.

All editions can use Option Two.
    1. Open the all users except administrators Local Group Policy Editor for how you want this policy applied.

2. In the left pane of the Local Group Policy Editor, click/tap on to expand User Configuration, Administrative Templates, Control Panel, and Personalization. (See screenshot below)

3. In the right pane of Personalization, double click/tap on the Prevent changing desktop icons policy to edit it. (see screenshot above)

4. Do step 5 (enable) or step 6 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

5. To Enable Changing Desktop Icons
    A) Select (dot) either Not Configured or Disabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

*note Not Configured is the default setting.

6. To Disable Changing Desktop Icons
    A) Select (dot) Enabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

7. When finished, you can close Local Group Policy Editor if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] Enable or Disable Changing Desktop Icons for All Users using a REG file

*note The downloadable .reg files below will add and modify the DWORD value in the registry keys below.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System

NoDispBackgroundPage DWORD

(delete) = Enable
    1 = Disable

1. Do step 2 (enable) or step 3 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Enable Changing Desktop Icons for All Users
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Enable_changing_desktop_icons.reg

Download

3. To Disable Changing Desktop Icons for All Users
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Disable_changing_desktop_icons.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. You could now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Mar 7, 2018

2. Windows vista x64 computer icon always changing

what icons are you referring to?
    In the Windows Explorer list or desktop?

twicksisted, Oct 27, 2019
  3. Remove Linux Desktop Icons

I am not sure whether this will work (Ubuntu does not have icons like that on the desktop by default), but I suggest opening the trash bin and sweeping the icons into the window showing the trash bin.

Peter1986C, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Enable or Disable Changing Desktop Icons in Windows

Desktop Icons

Hello Charles,

For us to better assist you, we'd like to know the following:

• Confirm which build is currently installed on your device. To check, follow the steps below:
    • Press Windows key + R, then type in winver.
    • Click OK.
    • Were there any recent changes made prior to this issue?
    • Are you using any 3rd-party antivirus software?
    • Check if the Auto arrange icons is enabled, refer to the steps below:
    • Right-click on your Desktop, hover your mouse cursor to View.
    • Click on Auto arrange icons to disable the feature.
    • Kindly send us a screenshot of your Desktop icons.

We look forward to your response.

Regards.

Melchizedek Qui, Oct 27, 2019
  5. MCK
    mck Win User
    Cannot change desktop icon

Sometimes a desktop icon changes from what it was to a plain white folder. Might be something I did but not sure what.

To change it to the icon I want, I go:
    1. Rt-click icon > Properties > Change icon
    2. I select the icon I want from the thumbnails of icons.
    3. Click OK
    4. Click Apply
    But the icon does not change. It just stays looking like a white folder.
    HOWEVER, if I pin the icon to the taskbar, the icon on the taskbar does look like the icon I selected in step-2. So the change is registered with Win10 but the icon on the desktop just doesn't change.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

6. Argel Obm Win User
    How to prevent desktop icons from changing positions

Hi Stephen,

There are various reasons why you're experiencing the issue. Let us isolate your concern by enabling the
    Auto arrange icons option, and then disabling it to see if the issue will persist. To do this follow these steps:

• Go to the Desktop screen, and then right click anywhere.
    • Hover your mouse on View.
    • Select Auto arrange icons.
    • Restart the computer.
    • After restarting the computer, check if your Desktop icons are still in the right position after clicking the
      Auto arrange icons option.
    • If your Desktop icons are in the right position, repeat steps 1-3 to disable the
      Auto arrange icons option.
    • Customize the position of your Desktop icons.
    • Restart the computer.
    • After restarting the computer, check if the issue will occur.

We'll be waiting for your response.

Argel Obm, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

Enable or Disable Changing Desktop Icons in Windows

1. Enable or Disable Changing Desktop Icons in Windows - Similar Threads - Enable Disable Changing

2. change icon on desktop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    change icon on desktop: I wanted to change the icon to something that I chose and is in JPG format.So, I right-click on the present icon on the desktop, properties, customize, and change icon that is the folder that I would like to place it in, if possible. Ultimately everything this is inside that...
  3. change icon on desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    change icon on desktop: I wanted to change the icon to something that I chose and is in JPG format.So, I right-click on the present icon on the desktop, properties, customize, and change icon that is the folder that I would like to place it in, if possible. Ultimately everything this is inside that...
  4. change icon on desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Disabling the Multiple Desktops Icon

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disabling the Multiple Desktops Icon: The taskbar in Windows 11 has a multiple-desktops icon. Since I always use only one desktop, I would like to know how to disable this icon. No options are displayed when I right-click on it....
  6. Disabling the Multiple Desktops Icon

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disabling the Multiple Desktops Icon: The taskbar in Windows 11 has a multiple-desktops icon. Since I always use only one desktop, I would like to know how to disable this icon. No options are displayed when I right-click on it....
  7. Desktop icons changed...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop icons changed...: Suddenly, most of my desktop file/folder icons have acquired two opposing blue arrows in the top-right corner of the icon. What does this mean? [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-icons-changed/dedee99f-72a0-47a7-bb61-d514efd0e8c4
  8. Changing Icons On Desktop

in Windows 10 Customization
    Changing Icons On Desktop: Hello, all. Is there a way to change to icons on the desktop from stock image to something custom, like a picture? If not a picture, then just a different icon? I am mainly thinking of the folders with their generic folder icons. Thanks for the feedback. bug 94787
  9. Enable or Disable Changing Screen Saver in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Changing Screen Saver in Windows: How to: Enable or Disable Changing Screen Saver in Windows How to Enable or Disable Changing Screen Saver in Windows A screen saver is a moving picture or pattern that displays on the screen(s) of your PC after you have not been active on the PC for specified period of...
  10. Enable or Disable Changing Mouse Pointers in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Changing Mouse Pointers in Windows: How to: Enable or Disable Changing Mouse Pointers in Windows How to Enable or Disable Changing Mouse Pointers in Windows A mouse pointer or cursor is a graphical image on the PC monitor or other display device. The pointer echoes movements of the pointing device,...