Windows 10: Enable or Disable NTFS Last Access Time Stamp Updates in Windows 10

Discus and support Enable or Disable NTFS Last Access Time Stamp Updates in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Enable or Disable NTFS Last Access Time Stamp Updates in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable NTFS Last Access Time Stamp Updates in Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by mikewarren1, Jul 15, 2018.

1. Enable or Disable NTFS Last Access Time Stamp Updates in Windows 10

How to: Enable or Disable NTFS Last Access Time Stamp Updates in Windows 10

How to Enable or Disable NTFS Last Access Time Stamp Updates in Windows 10

The Last Access Time stamp displays an updated time each file and folder on a NTFS volume was last accessed.

In the System Managed mode, the NTFS driver can enable or disable the Last Access updates during the boot (in particular, when the system volume is mounted). The Last Access updates are enabled for NTFS volumes when the size of the system volume (which is usually mounted as the C: drive) is 128 GB or less. If the system volume is larger, then the Last Access updates are disabled.

In the User Managed mode (recommended), the status of the Last Access updates isnt modified by the system during the boot. "Last Access" will stay enabled or disabled as you set.

[table][tr][td]Value[/td] [td]Description[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]0[/td] [td]User Managed, Last Access Updates Enabled[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]1[/td] [td]User Managed, Last Access Updates Disabled[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]2 (default)[/td] [td]System Managed, Last Access Updates Enabled[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]3[/td] [td]System Managed, Last Access Updates Disabled[/td] [/tr] [/table]

Enable or Disable NTFS Last Access Time Stamp Updates in Windows 10 [​IMG]

See also:
    Having the Last Access Time stamp enabled on an older or slower computer may cause file access to take longer.

This tutorial will show you how to enable or disable the NTFS Last Access Time stamp updates for all users in Windows 10.

*note You must be signed in as an administrator to enable or disable the Last Access Time stamp.

*Warning This tutorial is only valid in Windows 10 version 1803 and higher.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Enable or Disable NTFS Last Access Time Stamp Updates using Command
    • Option Two: Enable or Disable NTFS Last Access Time Stamp Updates using a REG file

EXAMPLE: Last Access Time stamp

*note The details view is not there by default unless added.

OPTION ONE [/i] Enable or Disable NTFS Last Access Time Stamp Updates using Command
    1. Open an elevated PowerShell console window.

2. Copy and paste the command below you want to use into the elevated console window, and press Enter.
    (User Managed, Last Access Updates Enabled)
    fsutil behavior set disablelastaccess 0

OR

(User Managed, Last Access Updates Disabled)
    fsutil behavior set disablelastaccess 1

OR

(Default - System Managed, Last Access Updates Enabled)
    fsutil behavior set disablelastaccess 2

OR

(System Managed, Last Access Updates Disabled)
    fsutil behavior set disablelastaccess 3
    3. Close the elevated console window.

4. Restart the computer to apply.

OPTION TWO [/i] Enable or Disable NTFS Last Access Time Stamp Updates using a REG file
    *note The downloadable .reg files below will modify the DWORD value in the registry key below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem

NtfsDisableLastAccessUpdate DWORD

80000000 (hex) = User Managed, Last Access Updates Enabled
    80000001 (hex) = User Managed, Last Access Updates Disabled
    80000002 (hex) = System Managed, Last Access Updates Enabled
    80000003 (hex) = System Managed, Last Access Updates Disabled

1. Do step 2 (user enabled), step 3 (user disabled), step 4 (system enabled), or step 5 (system disabled) below for what you would like to do.

2. User Managed, Last Access Updates Enabled
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 6 below.

User_Managed,_Last_Access_Updates_Enabled.reg

Download

3. User Managed, Last Access Updates Disabled
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 6 below.

User_Managed,_Last_Access_Updates_Disabled.reg

Download

4. System Managed, Last Access Updates Enabled
    *note This is the default setting.

DEFAULT_System_Managed,_Last_Access_Updates_Enabled.reg

Download

5. System Managed, Last Access Updates Disabled

System_Managed,_Last_Access_Updates_Disabled.reg

Download
    6. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

7. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

8. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

9. Restart the computer to apply.

10. You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

:)

mikewarren1, Jul 15, 2018
  2. Brink Win User
    Brink, Oct 27, 2019
  3. pml_ Win User
    How to disable Last Accessed date ( timestamp ) on FAT32 file system?

Scope of that article is how to *enable* the last accessed timestamp as it's disabled by default on NTFS drives.

Was it any special steps you were thinking about? I've already tried the fsutil command (see above); without rebooting though.

4. Kishvand Win User

Enable or Disable NTFS Last Access Time Stamp Updates in Windows 10

Kishvand, Oct 27, 2019
  5. W1zzard Win User
    Windows 10 update being enabled.

My experience was that disabling Windows Update service works for a while until suddenly that service is magically enabled again and starts updating everything.

W1zzard, Oct 27, 2019
  6. Knoxx29 Win User
    Windows 10 update being enabled.

Good to know, i will check later to see if it's still disabled.

Knoxx29, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

Enable or Disable NTFS Last Access Time Stamp Updates in Windows 10

1. Enable or Disable NTFS Last Access Time Stamp Updates in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Enable Disable NTFS

2. Time stamps in ntbootlog

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Time stamps in ntbootlog: The boot time for my computer has gotten pretty slow, and I'm trying to figure what the issue is. It sure would be helpful if the entries in ntbootlog.txt was timestamped so I could see what is taking so long.I tried searching and didn't find any helpful answers. Does anyone...
  3. How to Enable or Disable NTFS Last Access Time Stamp Updates

in Windows 10 News
    How to Enable or Disable NTFS Last Access Time Stamp Updates: [ATTACH]When you use a computer, you want it to perform as well as it […] This article How to Enable or Disable NTFS Last Access Time Stamp Updates first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  4. About time stamps

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    About time stamps: KB4550945 HotFix fixes a bug with the time stamp. Does KB4552152 or KB4556799 fix the time stamp issue? I'd like to confirm with the Log, but the new patch KB4556799 has begun to be applied, and KB4550945 is no longer displayed....
  5. Time Stamps in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Time Stamps in Windows 10: I am wondering what causes my computer to put incorrect dates and times on files. today i edited a file around noon, the computer shows the correct time-internet sync'd- The CREATED TIME is correct but the computer shows a MODIFIED TIME of almost 7 hours later - when i have...
  6. Threat Definition version Last Update time stamp is wrong

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Threat Definition version Last Update time stamp is wrong: Hello. I often manually update threat definitions. I recently noticed that after checking for updates, the "Last Update: " field shows the correct date, but the time is off 6 hours. I recently got the Windows 10 Pro Version 1809 OS Build 17763.379 as part of an update....
  7. Date/Time Stamp

in Windows 10 Customization
    Date/Time Stamp: How to add the current date and time on any Windows 10 document and program (that allows entering data), i.e., stamping the current date and time into whatever program I am using. Thank you....
  8. Question Regrading NTFS Last Access

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Question Regrading NTFS Last Access: Hello There Whats the purpose of this particular NtfsDisableLastAccessUpdate, is it better for SSDS to set this setting? still sorta new to SSD Drives, so my previous clean installs didn't run this command, should I on this newest clean install? 109217
  9. Enable or Disable NTFS File Encryption in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable NTFS File Encryption in Windows: How to: Enable or Disable NTFS File Encryption in Windows How to Enable or Disable NTFS File Encryption in Windows The Encrypting File System (EFS) is the built-in encryption tool in Windows used to encrypt files and folders on NTFS drives to protect them from unwanted...
  10. Enable or Disable NTFS File Compression in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable NTFS File Compression in Windows: How to: Enable or Disable NTFS File Compression in Windows How to Enable or Disable NTFS File Compression in Windows Windows supports compression for individual files and folders on NTFS volumes using NTFS compression. While NTFS file system compression can save disk...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. NtfsDisableLastAccessUpdate 128 gb