Windows 10: Enable or Disable Security Questions for Local Accounts in Windows 10

Discus and support Enable or Disable Security Questions for Local Accounts in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Enable or Disable Security Questions for Local Accounts in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Use of Security Questions for Local Accounts in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Sandi1987, Oct 16, 2016.

1. Sandi1987 Win User

Enable or Disable Security Questions for Local Accounts in Windows 10

How to: Enable or Disable Security Questions for Local Accounts in Windows 10

How to Enable or Disable Use of Security Questions for Local Accounts in Windows 10

Starting with local accounts in Windows 10.

Security questions will provide an extra layer of protection for your local account in case you forget your password.

Available security questions for local account:
    • What was your first pet's name?
    • What's the name of the city where you were born?
    • What was your childhood nickname?
    • What's the name of the city where your parents met?
    • What's the first name of your oldest cousin?
    • What's the name of the first school you attended?
    If you already have a reset your password, whereupon clicking youll be prompted to enter the answers to your security questions.

Starting with reset their passwords at sign in.

This tutorial will show you how to enable or disable the use of security questions for local accounts to reset passwords in Windows 10.

*Warning You must be signed in as an administrator to enable or disable security questions for local accounts.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Enable or Disable Use of Security Questions for Local Accounts using Local Group Policy Editor
    • Option Two: Enable or Disable Use of Security Questions for Local Accounts using a REG file

EXAMPLE: Security questions for local accounts enabled and disabled in Windows 10

Enable or Disable Security Questions for Local Accounts in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] Enable or Disable Use of Security Questions for Local Accounts using Local Group Policy Editor

*note The Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions.

All editions can use Option Two below.
    1. Open the Local Group Policy Editor.

2. In the left pane of Local Group Policy Editor, navigate to the location below. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Credential User Interface

3. In the right pane of Credential User Interface in Local Group Policy Editor, double click/tap on the Prevent the use of security questions for local accounts policy to edit it. (see screenshot above)

4. Do step 5 (enable) or step 6 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

5. To Enable Use of Security Questions for Local Accounts
    A) Select (dot) Not Configured or Disabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

*note Not Configured is the default setting.

6. To Disable Use of Security Questions for Local Accounts
    A) Select (dot) Enabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

7. When finished, close the Local Group Policy Editor if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] Enable or Disable Use of Security Questions for Local Accounts using a REG file

*note The downloadable .reg files below will add and modify the DWORD value in the registry key below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System

NoLocalPasswordResetQuestions DWORD

(delete) = Enable
    1 = Disable

1. Do step 2 (enable) or step 3 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Enable Use of Security Questions for Local Accounts
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Enable_Use_of_security_questions_for_local_accounts.reg

Download

3. To Disable Use of Security Questions for Local Accounts
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Disable_Use_of_security_questions_for_local_accounts.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Sandi1987, Oct 16, 2016

2. Local account installation question

I'm fairly certain that Skip this step was available in 10.0.130 - the workaround in Step 20 (back button) is no longer required.

The currently known, as of 10.0.130, ways to create a Local account sign-in are
    • Skip this step at the MS account creation phase
    • No Internet connection during the install
    • static IP (post# 2 by Fragment) - New (to me anyway)

Slartybart, Oct 27, 2019
  3. Brink Win User
    Brink, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Zakin Win User

Strange Windows 10 User Account issue.

Unfortunately I had done those steps numerous reboots, it just, reappears for no good reason. The base account isn't even a Microsoft account, it's a local account.

I haven't quite tried the built in administrator account on W10, but so far in my experience on my own computer, the built in account seemed to have absolutely no more control than I did on my own.

It's just strange, I go in, it warns me twice about deleting the account, then it's gone. Reboot, and it's back?

EDIT: Just to specify, both command line and Netplwiz both say only HIS account exists on the computer, it doesn't list this rogue account. This is what I meant in my first post about the fact that even Windows doesn't seem to believe it exists, HALF the time. *Frown Enable or Disable Security Questions for Local Accounts in Windows 10 :(

Zakin, Oct 27, 2019
  5. Brink Win User
    Brink, Oct 27, 2019
  6. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

As you may already know, Windows 10 (as well as Windows 8) allow you to log in with a valid Microsoft account, instead of creating a local account that only works on your machine. However, you may prefer to keep a local account for privacy reasons. If you do, though, some Windows 10 features—like Cortana—may not work. Despite the default behavior, the Windows 10 Store is not one of them. You can still log in to your Microsoft account for just the Store without switching to a full Microsoft account. The process, however, is not terribly obvious. To do so, follow these steps:

• Launch the Store from your Start menu.
    • Click the user icon next to the search box.
    • Click “Sign-in” from the menu that appears.
    • Choose “Microsoft account” and log in like normal.
    • When the “Make it yours” box appears do not enter your password. Instead, click “Sign in to just this app instead.”
    from Lifehacker

Ahhzz, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

1. Enable or Disable Security Questions for Local Accounts in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Enable Disable Security

2. Enable local security policy for a local account with Windows server 2022

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Enable local security policy for a local account with Windows server 2022: We have a Windows system with OS Windows 2022 server. This system is part of a domain. We created a local account which is a member of local Administrators. We are trying to enable some local security policies for the local account, but these policies are "greyed out" in the...
  3. Enable local security policy for a local account with Windows server 2022

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Enable local security policy for a local account with Windows server 2022: We have a Windows system with OS Windows 2022 server. This system is part of a domain. We created a local account which is a member of local Administrators. We are trying to enable some local security policies for the local account, but these policies are "greyed out" in the...
  4. Windows and local account question

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows and local account question: Hello I'm going to need to switch my harddrive out soon and read that if i used the activation feature and linked my digital license to a Microsoft account I would be able to add windows to my new HD after I change it. The problem I'm having is that when I login my...
  5. Local Account question

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Local Account question: Hi, I am in the process of upgrading from Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro. And once it is upgraded, I want to get a local account, not a MS account. In reading the steps involved in this process, it says that you will come to a window where you are asked to verify your current...
  6. Enable or Disable Windows Security in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Windows Security in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Windows Security in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Windows Security in Windows 10 The version 1703[/b] and later that makes it is easier for you to view and control the security protections you choose and better understand the security...
  7. Add or Update Security Questions for Local Account in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Update Security Questions for Local Account in Windows 10: How to: Add or Update Security Questions for Local Account in Windows 10 [img] Information Starting with Windows 10 build 17063, Microsoft added the use of security questions to local accounts in Windows 10. Security questions will provide an extra layer of protection...
  8. Enable or Disable Password Expiration for Local Accounts in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Password Expiration for Local Accounts in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Password Expiration for Local Accounts in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Password Expiration for Local Accounts in Windows 10 [img] Information Password expiration is a feature in Windows that forces a maximum (42 days by default) and...
  9. Enable or Disable Secure Boot on Windows 10 PC

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Secure Boot on Windows 10 PC: How to: Enable or Disable Secure Boot on Windows 10 PC How to Enable or Disable Secure Boot on Windows 10 PC Secure Boot is a security standard developed by members of the PC industry to help make sure that your PC boots using only software that is trusted by the PC...
  10. Enable or Disable Account in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Account in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Account in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable User Accounts in Windows 10 User accounts help control which files and apps each person can use and what changes they can make to the PC. If you have a user account that you want to make...