Windows 10: Enable or Disable Touchpad in Windows 10

Discus and support Enable or Disable Touchpad in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Enable or Disable Touchpad in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Touchpad in Windows 10 If your Windows 10 PC (ex: laptop) has a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by CubularMonoxide, Jul 26, 2018.

1. Enable or Disable Touchpad in Windows 10

How to: Enable or Disable Touchpad in Windows 10

How to Enable or Disable Touchpad in Windows 10

If your Windows 10 PC (ex: laptop) has a built-in touchpad, you may want to enable or disable on demand.

This tutorial will show you how to enable or disable the touchpad in Windows 10.

The TouchPad settings will vary from one device and driver to another, so you may not have some settings or your settings may be different than in this tutorial.

If you have something different, then please post screenshots. I'll be happy to include it in the tutorial for others.

Contents
    • Option One: Double Tap to Enable or Disable Touchpad
    • Option Two: Disable Touchpad when Mouse is Connected
    • Option Three: Enable or Disable Touchpad using Keyboard Shortcut
    • Option Four: Enable or Disable Touchpad in Touchpad Settings
    • Option Five: Enable or Disable Touchpad for some ThinkPad, IdeaPad, Lenovo Laptops

OPTION ONE [/i] Double Tap to Enable or Disable Touchpad
    1 If the Double Tap To Enable or Disable TouchPad setting is enabled, you can double tap on the corner zone (top left) of the touchpad to enable or disable the touchpad as wanted.

OPTION TWO [/i] Disable Touchpad when Mouse is Connected
    1 If the Disable internal pointing device when external USB pointing device is attached setting is enabled, the touchpad will automatically be disabled when a mouse is connected and automatically enable the touchpad when the mouse is disconnected.

OPTION THREE [/i] Enable or Disable Touchpad using Keyboard Shortcut
    1 Some devices may have a F5 or F6 function key available allowing you to press Fn plus the function key to enable or disable the touchpad as wanted.

The exact function key will vary per device if even available. Some devices may have a switch to toggle instead.

Enable or Disable Touchpad in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION FOUR [/i] Enable or Disable Touchpad in Touchpad Settings
    1 Open Settings, and click/tap on the Devices icon.

2 Click/tap on Touchpad on the left side, and click/tap on the Additional settings link under Related settings on the right side. (see screenshot below)

3 Do step 4 (disable) or step 5 (enable) below for what you want to do.

4. To Disable Touchpad
    A) In the ClickPad Settings tab (name may vary), click/tap on the ClickPad Disable button (name may vary). (see screenshots below)

B) Click/tap on OK to confirm. (see screenshot below)

C) Click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

5. To Enable Touchpad
    A) In the ClickPad Settings tab (name may vary), click/tap on the ClickPad Enable button (name may vary), and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

OPTION FIVE [/i] Enable or Disable Touchpad for some ThinkPad, IdeaPad, Lenovo Laptops
    1 Source: How to enable and disable your touchpad for ThinkPad, IdeaPad, Lenovo Laptops - US

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

CubularMonoxide, Jul 26, 2018
  2. Ralph Sta Win User

disable touchpad

Hi Donna,

Disabling touchpad will depend on the make and model of your Laptop. Some models would have its own button that would allow you to disable/enable the touchpad from the keyboard. Other models would also have settings from its own driver software that would
    allow you to toggle it on/off. Since you've mentioned that your laptop is Dell, may we know the specific model?

However, if you have other pointing device to connect on your laptop (like a mouse), you can disable the touchpad through Windows settings by following these steps:

• On your keyboard, press Windows + I.
    • Click Devices.
    • Choose Touchpad.
    • Uncheck Leave touchpad on when a mouse is connected.

After performing the steps above, your touchpad will be disabled until you disconnect the other pointing device.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Regards.

Ralph Sta, Oct 27, 2019
  3. win 10 disable touchpad

Hi,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. I understand the inconvenience you are facing. I will certainly help you with this.

You can disable the touchpad pressing the FN key + (F1 – F10) (check the laptop user manual to find the Disable/enable touchpad function key).

You can also disable the touchpad using Device manager. To do so kindly follow the below given steps and check if it works:

• Press “Windows key + X” and click on “Device Manager”.
    • In the list of devices, you should see the touchpad drivers.
    • Right click on the device and then select "Disable".

Hope this information helps. Post back with updated issue details for further help.

Thank you.

Parth P Patel, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Anne Ros Win User

Enable or Disable Touchpad in Windows 10

Disabling touchpad gestures in Windows 10

Hi Andrzej,

Precision touchpad is one of the improvements recently brought to Windows 10 to support touch gestures. Is you device running on Windows Creators Update? If yes, follow the steps below to disable touchpad:

• Go to Settings.
    • Select Ease of Access.
    • Click Touchpad.
    • Under Touchpad, toggle the switch on or off.
    • You can also uncheck the box beside Leave touchpad on the when a mouse is connectedoption to disable it when you use a traditional mouse.
    Once done with the steps above, check if the issue will persist.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Anne Ros, Oct 27, 2019
  5. Yaqub K Win User
    Disabling Synaptic touchpad in Windows 10, and why it won't stay disabled. For a left handed person, it is disruptive.

Hi,

If you wish to disable your touchpad, I suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below.

• Press Windows Key +X.
    • Select Device manager.
    • Expand Mice and other pointing devices.
    • Right click on Synaptic touchpad driver and select Disable.
    • Click OK to confirm and check with the issue.

Please reply us with the status to assist you further.

Yaqub K, Oct 27, 2019
  6. disable touchpad

Hi James,

Touchpad is usually disabled and re-enabled by pressing the Fn and either
    F3 or F9 keys, but that depends on the laptop that you have. Each brand have its own shortcut keys. However, you can disable the touchpad from the Settings page. Follow these steps:

1. Open Settings > Devices.
    2. In the left pane, click Touchpad.
    3. To completely disable the touchpad, toggle off Touchpad.
    4. If you only want to disable the touchpad when an external mouse is connected, check the box for
      Leave touchpad on when a mouse is connected option.

Let me know if you need further help so I can assist you.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

Enable or Disable Touchpad in Windows 10

1. Enable or Disable Touchpad in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Enable Disable Touchpad

2. Windows Touchpad won't stay enabled or disabled

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Touchpad won't stay enabled or disabled: Issue is as the subject reads, I have to repeatedly disable and reenable or vice- my touchpad in my settings if I want it to stay on or off only to last a few minutes at best, and if my gestures stop working then I just have to reset my pc. I've already tried reinstalling and...
  3. Touchpad + Windows 10 + Enable/Disable

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Touchpad + Windows 10 + Enable/Disable: After the recent update, I am unable to disable/enable my touch-pad from neither the settings nor from the hot keys. The enable/disable option has been removed. why ? I really need to disable my touch-pad on-board mouse, as it is very problematic while typing/coding....
  4. When "enable touchpad despite a mouse being present" is disabled, the touchpad disables...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    When "enable touchpad despite a mouse being present" is disabled, the touchpad disables...: What the title says. It's an MSI GE65 Raider 9SF laptop, running Windows 10 Pro. I disabled this option so that a the touchpad is disabled when I have an USB mouse connected, but the thing is that it's disabled even when a mouse isn't present? I booted up my laptop today in...
  5. Disabling the touchpad in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Disabling the touchpad in Windows 10: I can't find the setting for disabling the touchpad. I looked in the settings for both the touchpad and the mouse. From what I read, there is supposed to be a setting for the mouse that says "Disable Touchpad when mouse is plugged in" or something like that, but that...
  6. Can not enable/disable HP Laptop touchpad.

Can not enable/disable HP Laptop touchpad.: Can not enable/disable HP Laptop touchpad https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-not-enabledisable-hp-laptop-touchpad/6203722d-405c-42c2-b3b5-8894213e6d0d
  7. disable touchpad windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    disable touchpad windows 10: I had disabled my touchpad because I use a mouse. Now it is back again and can't seem to disable it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disable-touchpad-windows-10/f0f064aa-00de-46b0-81cb-41bff3fe0605
  8. Touchpad disabled and no where to enable again

Touchpad disabled and no where to enable again: My PC is a Lenovo Ideapad 330, windows 10 home after MS Windows update, my touchpad scrolling functions (2 / 3 / 4 finger gestures) was disabled I have tried all means to enable it (using the Touchpad settings) but there is no more checkbox for me to turn the hand gestures...
  9. Enable or Disable Double Tap to Enable or Disable Touchpad in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Double Tap to Enable or Disable Touchpad in Windows: How to: Enable or Disable Double Tap to Enable or Disable Touchpad in Windows How to Enable or Disable Double Tap to Enable or Disable Touchpad in Windows 10 If your Windows 10 PC (ex: laptop) has a built-in touchpad, you may want to enable or disable on demand. The...
  10. Enable or Disable Touchpad Tapping and Tap to Click in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Touchpad Tapping and Tap to Click in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Touchpad Tapping and Tap to Click in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Touchpad Tapping and Tap to Click in Windows 10 If your Windows 10 PC (ex: laptop) has a built-in touchpad, you may want to enable or disable the tapping feature (aka: Tap...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. show touchpad enable button

2. www.windowsphoneinfo.com/threads/disable-internal-pointing-device.105743/

3. regedit win 10 enable touchpad

4. wasd disabling touchpad bootcamp 2019