Windows 10: Disable Touchpad when Mouse is Connected in Windows 10

Discus and support Disable Touchpad when Mouse is Connected in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Disable Touchpad when Mouse is Connected in Windows 10 How to Disable Touchpad when Mouse is Connected in Windows 10 If your Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Dec 14, 2017.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Disable Touchpad when Mouse is Connected in Windows 10

How to: Disable Touchpad when Mouse is Connected in Windows 10

How to Disable Touchpad when Mouse is Connected in Windows 10

If your Windows 10 PC (ex: laptop) has a built-in touchpad and you like to use an external USB or Bluetooth mouse, you can set to automatically disable the touchpad when a mouse is connected and automatically enable the touchpad when the mouse is disconnected.

This tutorial will show you how to automatically disable the touchpad when a mouse is connected for your account in Windows 10.

Currently this tutorial will only apply to a Synaptics touchpad.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Leave Touchpad On or Off when Mouse is Connected in Control Panel
    • Option Two: Leave Touchpad On or Off when Mouse is Connected using a REG file

OPTION ONE [/i] Leave Touchpad On or Off when Mouse is Connected in Control Panel
    This setting and/or GUI may vary from one Synaptics driver to another. If your setting or GUI is different for this, please post a screenshot showing it, and I'll be happy to include it in the tutorial for others.

1 Open the Control Panel (icons view), and click/tap on the Mouse icon.

2 Click/tap on the Clickpad Settings tab in Mouse Properties. (see screenshot below)

The actual name of this tab will vary depending on the touchpad brand and drivers. It will usually be the last tab.

3 Check or uncheck (default) the Disable internal pointing device when external USB pointing device is attached setting for what you want, and click/tap on OK.

Disable Touchpad when Mouse is Connected in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION TWO [/i] Leave Touchpad On or Off when Mouse is Connected using a REG file
    The downloadable .reg files below will modify the DWORD value in the registry key below.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Synaptics\SynTPEnh

DisableIntPDFeature DWORD

33 = Check (off)
    22 = Uncheck (on)

1 Do step 2 (on) or step 3 (off) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Check "Disable internal pointing device when external USB pointing device is attached"
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Check-Disable_internal_pointing_device_when_external_USB_pointing_device_is_attached.reg

Download

3. To Uncheck "Disable internal pointing device when external USB pointing device is attached"
    This is the default setting

.A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Uncheck-Disable_internal_pointing_device_when_external_USB_pointing_device_is_attached.reg

Download
    4 Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5 Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6 When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7 Restart the computer to apply.

8 You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Dec 14, 2017
  2. Anne Ros Win User

Disabling touchpad gestures in Windows 10

Hi Andrzej,

Precision touchpad is one of the improvements recently brought to Windows 10 to support touch gestures. Is you device running on Windows Creators Update? If yes, follow the steps below to disable touchpad:

• Go to Settings.
    • Select Ease of Access.
    • Click Touchpad.
    • Under Touchpad, toggle the switch on or off.
    • You can also uncheck the box beside Leave touchpad on the when a mouse is connectedoption to disable it when you use a traditional mouse.
    Once done with the steps above, check if the issue will persist.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Anne Ros, Oct 27, 2019
  3. Nikhar_K Win User
    Disable Touchpad and use External mouse

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you want to disable the TouchPad of your laptop and want to use an external USB mouse.

To use an external USB mouse, please connect the USB mouse to any USB port on your laptop and it will be set up automatically.

To disable the touchpad you can try the following steps and check if that helps:

1. Press and hold Windows + X key on the keyboard.
    2. Select Device manager from the list.
    3. Expand Mice and other pointing devices.
    4. Find Synaptics SMBus TouchPad/ELANClickpad touchpad.
    5. Right click on the driver and select Disable.

Hope it helps.

Please reply with the status of the issue, we will be glad to help you further.

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Ralph Sta Win User

disable touchpad

Hi Donna,

Disabling touchpad will depend on the make and model of your Laptop. Some models would have its own button that would allow you to disable/enable the touchpad from the keyboard. Other models would also have settings from its own driver software that would
    allow you to toggle it on/off. Since you've mentioned that your laptop is Dell, may we know the specific model?

However, if you have other pointing device to connect on your laptop (like a mouse), you can disable the touchpad through Windows settings by following these steps:

• On your keyboard, press Windows + I.
    • Click Devices.
    • Choose Touchpad.
    • Uncheck Leave touchpad on when a mouse is connected.

After performing the steps above, your touchpad will be disabled until you disconnect the other pointing device.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Regards.

Ralph Sta, Oct 27, 2019
  5. nxavis9 Win User
    I want to disable touchpad on Dell laptop

Hello everyone,
    My laptop's touchpad works and I don't want it to, because I prefer a mouse. It's a Dell Inspiron 11 3000 series on windows 10 OS.

What I have tried that hasn't worked:
    • start<settings<devices<mouse & touchpad<additional mouse options. This opens a window called Mouse Options which has 5 tabs up top, none of which involve the touchpad. The Hardware tab shows 2 devices: the mouse itself, and the USB. No touchpad there.
    • windows key+x<mobility center. No touchpad to be found.
    • various function keys. No options for touchpad on/off.
    • device manager<mice and other pointing devices. Again, only the mouse and usb show up. It appears the touchpad is working without a driver, which is a little spooky.
    Any other suggestions? I could try downloading a third party driver, but that seems like a step in the wrong direction.
    Thanks

nxavis9, Oct 27, 2019
  6. How to disable touchpad while accessing mouse on Dell Inspiron n7110 device running Windows 10?

Hi Bunny,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community and being a part of Windows 10.

I understand your concern about disabling touchpad while accessing the external mouse on your device. We will help you with this issue.

I suggest you to follow the below steps to disable the touchpad:

• Press Windows + X keys from the keyboard and click on
      Control Panel.

• Click on Mouse.

• On the Device Settings tab of the
      Mouse Properties screen, click the Disable button to turn off the Touchpad.

• Restart the system

Hope it helps. Get back to us for further assistance on this issue, we will be happy to help you further.

Deepika Gowda, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

1. Disable Touchpad when Mouse is Connected in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Disable Touchpad Mouse

2. Disable Touchpad When Mouse is Connected

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disable Touchpad When Mouse is Connected: Please, bring back this option or else tell me how I can do this.I bought a laptop so that I could be portable. But since taking away the checkbox for disabling the touchpad, I've had to connect a keyboard, because the palms of my hands inadvertently always touch the touchpad...
  3. Disable Touchpad When Mouse is Connected

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disable Touchpad When Mouse is Connected: Please, bring back this option or else tell me how I can do this.I bought a laptop so that I could be portable. But since taking away the checkbox for disabling the touchpad, I've had to connect a keyboard, because the palms of my hands inadvertently always touch the touchpad...
  4. disable touchpad single click when external mouse is connected

in Windows 10 Customization
    disable touchpad single click when external mouse is connected: Hi,I've seen a million give or take solutions to disabling the touchpad when I have a mouse connected. Those work, but are not really what I am looking for.I ONLY want to disable the one-finger single-click aspect of the touchpad if my external mouse is connected. That way I...
  5. Disable touchpad when mouse is connected option is gone.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Disable touchpad when mouse is connected option is gone.: When I go to settings and go to devices, the disable touchpad when mouse is connected option is gone. My system info https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disable-touchpad-when-mouse-is-connected-option-is/83e5d388-7667-4066-958f-65a7cfdb3d03
  6. Disable touchpad when external mouse connected - HP Envy

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Disable touchpad when external mouse connected - HP Envy: Last year, I had a toggle that enabled me to disable the touchpad, but it's no longer present. All enquiries I've looked at show a feature in Settings/Touchpad that's not there on my laptop. Can anyone please help me to recover the feature that was previously available?...
  7. How to Disable the Touchpad when Mouse is Connected

How to Disable the Touchpad when Mouse is Connected: I am using Windows 10 Pro, build 20H2. I have attempted the following code to disable the touchpad when a mouse is detected, but it seems to not be working. I have restarted the computer after applying, and does not take effect. Disable Touchpad when Mouse is Connected in...
  8. How to disable laptop touchpad when mouse is connected

How to disable laptop touchpad when mouse is connected: Where is the setting to disable the laptop touchpad while a wireless mouse in connected? I'm using a logitec wireless mouse. Windows 10. This has worked for years but somehow touchpad is now active while mouse is plugged in....
  9. Touchpad not disabled when mouse is connected

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Touchpad not disabled when mouse is connected: All the sudden, the touchpad of my HP Spectre laptop is not being disabled when I connect a mouse to it. And I can't find the disabling button in Setting anymore. How can I fix it?...
  10. Touchpad disabled when mouse is removed

Touchpad disabled when mouse is removed: If I remove my mouse for my laptop the touch pad is disabled. I have it enabled in device manager, but I have the option for it to be turned off when a mouse is connected. If I turn off the feature of having the touch pad disabled when a mouse is connected, disconnecting the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. I used to be able to disable my touchpad when a bluetooth mouse was connected but the option seems to have evaporated.... can you help to bring that option back?

2. disable internal pointing device windows 10

3. internal pointing