Windows 10: Find and List Compressed Files and Folders in Windows 10

Discus and support Find and List Compressed Files and Folders in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Find and List Compressed Files and Folders in Windows 10 How to Find and List Compressed Files and Folders in Windows 10 Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Brink Win User

Find and List Compressed Files and Folders in Windows 10

How to: Find and List Compressed Files and Folders in Windows 10

How to Find and List Compressed Files and Folders in Windows 10

Windows 10 supports compression of individual files and folders on NTFS volumes using NTFS compression.

While NTFS file system compression can save disk space, compressing data can adversely affect performance. NTFS compression has the following performance characteristics. When you copy or move a compressed NTFS file to a different folder, NTFS decompresses the file, copies or moves the file to the new location, and then recompresses the file. This behavior occurs even when the file is copied or moved between folders on the same computer. Compressed files are also expanded before copying over the network, so NTFS compression does not save network bandwidth.

Files or folders saved into an existing compressed folder will automatically be compressed.

NTFS compressed files and folders will have double blue arrows overlay on their icon at the top right corner to indicate that they are compressed. However, you can also scan to find and list compressed files and folders.

This tutorial will show you how to find and list files and folders compressed with NTFS Compression in Windows 10.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Find and List Compressed Files and Folders and Output List in Command Prompt
    • Option Two: To Find and List Compressed Files and Folders and Output List to a Text File

EXAMPLE: Files and Folders compressed using NTFS Compression

Find and List Compressed Files and Folders in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] To Find and List Compressed Files and Folders and Output List in Command Prompt
    1. Open a command prompt.

2. Type the command below into the command prompt, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow compact /s:"Full path of directory"

*note Substitute Full path of directory in the command above with the full path of the folder and drive you want to scan for compressed files and folders in it and its subfolders.

For example: compact /s:"C:\Users\Brink\Pictures"

3. Windows will now search for all compressed files and folders in the specified directory and its subfolders, and will output a list in the command prompt.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Find and List Compressed Files and Folders and Output List to a Text File
    *note This option is useful when you have a long list of compressed files and folders to review in a text file.
    1. Open a command prompt.

2. Type the command below into the command prompt, and press Enter. (see screenshots below)
    *Arrow compact /s:"Full path of directory" > "%UserProfile%\Desktop\Compressed_Files_and_Folders.txt"

*note Substitute Full path of directory in the command above with the full path of the folder and drive you want to scan for compressed files and folders in it and its subfolders.

For example: compact /s:"C:\Users\Brink\Pictures > "%UserProfile%\Desktop\Compressed_Files_and_Folders.txt""

3. Windows will now search for all compressed files and folders in the specified directory and its subfolders, and will output a list to the Compressed_Files_and_Folders.txt file on your desktop. (see screenshot below)

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Jun 11, 2018
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Oct 27, 2019
  3. dark2099 Win User
    Generating a .txt based file list in Windows 7

I want to be able to generate a .txt file that lists all the files and folders in a specific folder on my PC, but don't know the name of any programs that do that. Searched on google a bit and came up with this guide, but it's for XP and I can't seem to find some of the folder options to modify the .bat file. Any suggestions? Thanks

http://www.theeldergeek.com/file_list_generator.htm

EDIT: The .bat file will do what I want if it is in the folder I want to do it in, but the option I want to add is having the right click option that it shows.

dark2099, Oct 27, 2019
  4. slozomby Win User

Recent File List

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file1

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file2
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file3
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file4
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file5
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file6
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file7
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file8
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file9

you get the idea. ( too lazy to put it in a for loop and test it.

or just open regedit and remove all the fileX from that key.

slozomby, Oct 27, 2019
  5. Ahhzz Win User
    So I used KGB Archiver to compress a 10gb file into a 40mb file...

Exactly. Most compression programs change a series of 1s and/or 0s to a couple of digits, and stores the total file in a table of contents/index. If you've got a file with TONS of repeating digits, sure, but pictures? No way to get that kind of compression in the real world.

from an article on "How To Geek"

First, we installed Bastion and compressed its folder — about 863 MB in size of music, graphics, executable files, and various different types of documents:

• Zip (Windows 8.1): 746 MB (86.4% of the original size)
    • Zip (WinZip): 745 MB (86.3% of the original size)
    • RAR (WinRAR): 746 MB (86.4% of the original size)
    • 7z (7-Zip): 734 MB (85% of the original size)
    Next, we compressed Hotline Miami, which is 654 MB of data:

• Zip (Windows 8.1): 316 MB (48.3% of the original size)
    • Zip (WinZip): 314 MB (48% of the original size)
    • RAR (WinRAR): 307 MB (46.9% of the original size)
    • 7z (7-Zip): 301 MB (46% of the original size)
    I would not expect a great deal of change from those numbers in November of 2014 to now, nor would I expect any real-world files to come any where NEAR the compression rate of .4%.

Ahhzz, Oct 27, 2019
  6. regan1985 Win User
    making file lists

ok i have tried it and i got it to work thanks

but my next problem is it only lists the folders not the files??

regan1985, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

1. Find and List Compressed Files and Folders in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Find List Compressed

2. Windows Explorer Finding Zip *folders* not the zip/compressed files within Zip folders

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Explorer Finding Zip *folders* not the zip/compressed files within Zip folders: How do I use Windows Explorer's search feature to find Zip folders not the zip/compressed files within Zip folders. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-explorer-finding-zip-folders-not-the/2e838c6d-648c-4b53-99f5-82ee2259eacd
  3. Windows Explorer Finding Zip *folders* not the zip/compressed files within Zip folders

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Explorer Finding Zip *folders* not the zip/compressed files within Zip folders: How do I use Windows Explorer's search feature to find Zip folders not the zip/compressed files within Zip folders. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-explorer-finding-zip-folders-not-the/2e838c6d-648c-4b53-99f5-82ee2259eacd
  4. windows 10 compress folders

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    windows 10 compress folders: How can I fix windows 10 won't compress files with English and Cyrillic characters? Why does it tell me to rename the files that have Cyrillic names? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-compress-folders/73647abd-921e-432f-8a48-aed295100884
  5. windows 10 compress folders

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows 10 compress folders: How can I fix windows 10 won't compress files with English and Cyrillic characters? Why does it tell me to rename the files that have Cyrillic names? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-compress-folders/73647abd-921e-432f-8a48-aed295100884
  6. windows 10 compress folders

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. A question on copying files from a compressed folder to another compressed folder ..... ?

A question on copying files from a compressed folder to another compressed folder ..... ?: Compressed folders are often shown in blue for user convenience. When Windows explorer copies files and also sub-folders from one compressed folder to another compressed folder, does it decompress the file data ON-THE-FLY, and then re-compress it again towards the...
  8. Find and list EFS Encrypted, Compressed files & folders on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Find and list EFS Encrypted, Compressed files & folders on Windows 10: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]In today’s post, we will explore a relatively simple way, to search, find and list all your EFS encrypted and as well as compressed files/folders on Windows 10. You will find this how-to guide essentially useful if you EFS encrypt [...] This post Find and...
  9. compressed folders

compressed folders: I keep getting a message that pops up that says:Compressed(zipped)Folders Please insert the last disk of the Multi-Volume set and click OK to continue. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/compressed-folders/f16c1d11-725e-4876-a8fc-1a6f2e9583c9"
  10. Compress or Uncompress Files and Folders in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Compress or Uncompress Files and Folders in Windows 10: How to: Compress or Uncompress Files and Folders in Windows 10 How to Compress or Uncompress Files and Folders in Windows 10 Windows 10 supports compression for individual files and folders on NTFS volumes using NTFS compression. While NTFS file system compression...