Windows 10: Change or Remove Compression Blue Arrows on Icons in Windows 10

Discus and support Change or Remove Compression Blue Arrows on Icons in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Change or Remove Compression Blue Arrows on Icons in Windows 10 Change or Remove Double Blue Arrows Icon on Compressed Files and Folders in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Axims, Dec 30, 2015.

1. Axims Win User

Change or Remove Compression Blue Arrows on Icons in Windows 10

How to: Change or Remove Compression Blue Arrows on Icons in Windows 10

Change or Remove Double Blue Arrows Icon on Compressed Files and Folders in Windows 10

Windows 10 supports compression for individual files and folders on NTFS volumes using NTFS compression.

When you compress a file or folder in Windows 10, its icon will have a double blue arrows overlay at the top right corner to indicate that it's a compressed file or folder.

If you encrypt a compressed file or folder, the file or folder will no longer be compressed afterwards.

If you compress an EFS encrypted file or folder, the file or folder will no longer be encrypted afterwards.

This tutorial will show you how to customize or remove the double blue arrows icon overlay on compressed files and folders for all users in Windows 10.

*Warning You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to change or remove the double blue arrows icon overlay.

*note If you have a custom 24x24 pixel .ico file you would like to share, then please feel free to upload and post it here.

EXAMPLE: Double Blue Arrows on Icon of Compressed File or Folder

Change or Remove Compression Blue Arrows on Icons in Windows 10 [​IMG]

Here's How:

1. Press the Win+R keys to open Run, type regedit, and press Enter.

2. If prompted by UAC, click/tap on Yes.

3. In Registry Editor, browse to the key at the location below. (see screenshot below)

*note If you do not have the Shell Icons key, then right click or press and hold on the Explorer key, click/tap on New, click/tap on Key, type Shell Icons for the name, and press Enter.
    *Arrow HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Icons

4. Do step 5 (change/remove) or step 6 (default) below for what you would like to do.

5. To Change or Remove Double Blue Arrows Icon
    *note Other than uncompressing the file or folder to remove the double blue arrow icon, you can customize the icon to what you like below.
    A) In the right pane of the Shell Icons key, double click/tap on the 179 string value to modify it. (see screenshot below step 3)

*note If you do not have the 179 string value, then right click or press and hold on an empty area in the right pane of the Shell Icons key, click/tap on New, click/tap on String Value, type 179 for the name, and press Enter.

B) Type in the full path of the custom .ico file you want to use, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

Tip If you like, you can download and use a 24x24 pixel transparent.ico file here that will remove the double blue arrows icon.

Be sure to unblock this transparent.ico file before moving it into your C:\Windows\System32 folder.

6. To Restore Default Double Blue Arrows Icon
    A) In the right pane of the Shell Icons key, delete the 179 string value. (see screenshot below step 3)

B) Click/tap Yes to confirm, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

7. Restart explorer to apply.

8. When finished, you can close Registry Editor if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Axims, Dec 30, 2015
  2. Ramesh Srinivasan, Dec 30, 2015
  3. fastpuppy Win User
    Mysterious Blue Double-Arrows Added to Windows Desktop File & Folder Icons

The fact that Microsoft released something like this with no documentation, no notice, no off-switch, etc... shows that the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.

The fact that the solutions for this involve either registry hacks or widespread decompression of files is idiocy.

The fact that people putting themselves forward as "experts" without doing even a cursory google search is asinine.

DO YOUR RESEARCH BEFORE YOU PROVIDE AN ANSWER!

• norton has nothing to do with this
    • it involves compressed files
    • it is part of windows
    Yes Norton is one of the worst pieces of software on the market but this situation cropped up after an update so the solution
    obviously would not have been in lanedog33's 2010
    post.

Anyone with an IQ over room temperature should be able to deduce this quickly enough.

2 example posts of what is out there:

Windows 10 and the Double Arrow icon of death

Windows 10 and the Double Arrow icon of death - Nerdshack

November 29th, 2015

"Somewhere in the recent TH2 builds a new overlay was introduced to indicate compressed files/folders."

“TH2” or “the real Windows 10”

Change or Remove Double Blue Arrows Icon on Compressed Files and Folders in Windows 10

03/01/2016

the compressed folders will display blue arrows at the top right corner of the folders

fastpuppy, Dec 30, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello Axims, and welcome to Ten Forums.

I'll certainly see if I can. *Smile

Brink, Dec 30, 2015
  5. Axims Win User
    thanks, my money's on you!

oh and by the way, I've been with you guys since seven forums , you've been helping way more people than you'd think *Biggrin

Axims, Dec 30, 2015
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    I'll try not to let you down. *Smile

Brink, Dec 30, 2015
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Dec 31, 2015
  8. Axims Win User

You're the Man, Shawn!
    many thanks, and happy new year to you too! *Party *Party

Axims, Dec 31, 2015
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You're most welcome. *Smile

Brink, Dec 31, 2015
  10. Drak Win User
    Brink, I followed the instructions of your guide to a t and now instead of blue compression arrows I have blank white pages. Did I do something wrong?

11. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Drak, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

Did you use the transparent.ico in the tutorial, or a custom .ico of your own?

Did you unblock and save either one in the C:\Windows\System32 folder?

Brink, Jan 11, 2016
  12. Drak Win User
    I did use the transparent.ico from the tutorial but I did not unblock or save it into the System32 folder. I kept the downloaded transparent.ico in my downloads folder on my C:/ drive. (I'm running 64-bit, if that matters.)

13. Brink
    Brink New Member

As test, unblock it, copy it to the System32 folder, and change the path in the registry to see if that may help.

I find that if the .ico file is not saved in a location that all users can access, it could sometimes cause issues displaying properly.

Brink, Jan 11, 2016
  14. Drak Win User
    Okay, I unblocked the file in my download folder, copied it into my System32 folder, went back to the registry and put in the new path and still no dice after restarting windows explorer. *Sad

15. I need help i can't find the shell icons folder in regedit ? Screenshot

Snipe Expert, Jan 12, 2016
Thema:

1. Change or Remove Compression Blue Arrows on Icons in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Change Remove Compression

2. Icon arrows keep changing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Icon arrows keep changing: Windows 10 keep changing my desktop icons, it is placing various symbols in the icon short cut arrow area. I've seen a dot, arrow, what looks like a file box with a brown square and other symbols. If I refresh the desktop the icons go back to my default of no arrow. I'm...
  3. Blue arrow compression icon - how to remove

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Blue arrow compression icon - how to remove: Any way to get rid of this annoying blue arrows?I want to keep compression if it makes my PC more efficient, but not have these show up all the time.Is this possible?Should I keep compression?My SSD HD is 70% fullShould I remove files to gain more speed?Thanks...
  4. Blue arrow on icons

in Windows 10 Customization
    Blue arrow on icons: Blue arrow on icons https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/blue-arrow-on-icons/2daa638c-979f-4cd8-92bd-3b7f886028f5
  5. Compressed folder (two blue arrows)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Compressed folder (two blue arrows): Every time I create a new folder, it shows the two blue arrows. I know how to get rid of it after creating a new folder, but it never did this before. Is there a way to change the settings so that when I create the new folder, it doesn't have those two blue arrows? Thank...
  6. blue arrows on icons

in Windows 10 Customization
    blue arrows on icons: [ATTACH] how to remove his blue arrows https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/blue-arrows-on-icons/5b5fc570-dff5-4041-80c0-080ad5c65c4a
  7. Double Arrows on icons and folders (compress files option)

Double Arrows on icons and folders (compress files option): Hello Guys, I recently noticed that all my folders have a double blue arrow on top, after some research I notice is a window option to compress files to save space, never saw this before ever, I want to get rid of this or turn this option off, after reading some info, I...
  8. How to Remove Blue Double Arrows and Stop Automatic Compression of Files and Folders.

How to Remove Blue Double Arrows and Stop Automatic Compression of Files and Folders.: I'm posting this as an answer in the questions section because I believe that more people will see it there than in the discussions section. Recently I noticed that my icons on my desktop had a pair of blue arrows in the top right corner. This was also true for my documents...
  9. Desktop icon shortcut arrow changes out of the blue

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop icon shortcut arrow changes out of the blue: I'm running Win 10 Pro 64bit AE and was playing Solitare for a little while tonight when the background desktop flashed and all my program icon shortcut arrows changed from a white square with blue arrow to a green circle with a yellow arrow. I did a refresh and they all...
  10. Shortcut Arrow Icon - Change, Remove, or Restore in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Shortcut Arrow Icon - Change, Remove, or Restore in Windows 10: How to: Shortcut Arrow Icon - Change, Remove, or Restore in Windows 10 How to Change, Remove, or Restore Shortcut Arrow Overlay Icon in Windows 10 A shortcut is a link to an item (such as a file, folder, or app) on your PC. You can create shortcuts and then place them in...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. nu vot