Windows 10: Show Encrypted or Compressed NTFS files in Color in Windows 10

Discus and support Show Encrypted or Compressed NTFS files in Color in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Show Encrypted or Compressed NTFS files in Color in Windows 10 Turn On or Off Show Encrypted or Compressed NTFS files in Color in Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Aug 4, 2017.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Show Encrypted or Compressed NTFS files in Color in Windows 10

How to: Show Encrypted or Compressed NTFS files in Color in Windows 10

Turn On or Off Show Encrypted or Compressed NTFS files in Color in Windows 10

Show Encrypted or Compressed NTFS files in Color in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information The Encrypting File System (EFS) is the built-in encryption tool in Windows used to encrypt files and folders on NTFS drives to protect them from unwanted access. EFS enables transparent encryption and decryption of files for your user account by using advanced, standard cryptographic algorithms. Any individual or program that doesn't possess the appropriate cryptographic key cannot read the encrypted data. Encryption is the strongest protection that Windows provides to help you keep your information secure.

When you encrypt a file or folder with EFS in Windows 10, its icon will have a lock overlay at the top right corner to indicate that it's an EFS encrypted file or folder.

Windows 10 supports compression for individual files and folders on NTFS volumes using NTFS compression. When you compress a file or folder in Windows 10, its icon will have a double blue arrows overlay at the top right corner to indicate that it's a compressed file or folder.

If you like, you can show file name text of encrypted files in green color and compressed NTFS files in blue color.

This tutorial will show you how to turn on or off showing encrypted or compressed NTFS files in color for your account in Windows 10.

Note If you compressed file or folder, the file or folder will no longer be compressed afterwards.

If you EFS encrypted file or folder, the file or folder will no longer be encrypted afterwards.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Turn On or Off Show Encrypted or Compressed NTFS files in Color using Folder Options
    • Option Two: To Turn On or Off Show Encrypted or Compressed NTFS files in Color using a REG file

EXAMPLE: Show encrypted or compressed NTFS files in color

OPTION ONE [/i] To Turn On or Off Show Encrypted or Compressed NTFS files in Color using Folder Options
    1. Open Folder Options.

2. Click/tap on the View tab, check or uncheck (default) Show encrypted or compressed NTFS files in color in "Advanced settings" for what you want, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

OPTION TWO [/i] To Turn On or Off Show Encrypted or Compressed NTFS files in Color using a REG file

Note The .reg files below will modify the DWORD value in the registry key below.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced

ShowEncryptCompressedColor DWORD

0 = Off
    1 = On

1. Do step 2 (on) or step 3 (off) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Turn On Show Encrypted or Compressed NTFS files in Color
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Turn_ON_ShowEncryptCompressedColor.reg

Download

3. To Turn Off Show Encrypted or Compressed NTFS files in Color
    NOTE: This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Turn_OFF_ShowEncryptCompressedColor.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. If prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. If you like, you can now delete the downloaded .reg file.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Aug 4, 2017
  2. dalchina Win User

Ntfs file compression - how to remove from folders

To answer part of your question- compressed folders (via Properties) should be shown in a different colour:

(See Help Downloaded - selected in the background)

The tutorial you cite simply removes the ability to compress files and folders by NTFS compression, as it says.

These may be of interest:
    Show Encrypted or Compressed NTFS files in Color in Windows 10 | Tutorials

while this is historical about blue arrows:

===================

This probably applies in your case:
    Compress or Uncompress Windows 10 with Compact OS | Tutorials

dalchina, Oct 26, 2019
  3. Windows XP file encryption

LOL thanks, I think its standard windows XP file encryption

troyrae360, Oct 26, 2019
  4. mamyot0 Win User

NTFS Compression of copied files

I'm experiencing an odd issue in Windows 10 that involves copying files that are compressed using the NTFS filesystem to another folder that has the compression flag set (so that when the file is
    copied, not moved, it is compressed in the destination folder).

The issue is that when the file is copied to the folder, the filesystem is not releasing the uncompressed copy of the file (as it should) after compressing. Thus, the disk is recognizing that
    double the space is needed to store the file (e.g. if the file was 500MB, the remaining capacity for the disk will be 1000MB less). In Windows 7, this behavior is not being seen (i.e. after the file is compressed, the uncompressed file is released,
    showing the correct amount of space used.)

I've experienced this on several (actually all) Windows 10 installs, so I'm wondering if anybody else has seen this.

Of course, restarting the computer seems to correct the reported free disk space remaining, but while in a session, I've had to decompress a file manually, then recompress it to have the filesystem report the correct size. The system believes that much more
    disk space is being consumed that what is really there, and it is leading to insufficient disk space errors (in testing out the problem, I made a dummy partition and copied the compressed file to it).

I would write this off as a corrupted installation, but I've seen it on good installs also. I've also reported the problem in the Windows feedback community, in case it is an actual bug.

Thanks for any help.

mamyot0, Oct 26, 2019
  5. modder Win User
    Software encryption

read this:
    The Encrypting File System (EFS) is a file system driver with filesystem-level encryption available in Microsoft Windows (2000 and later) operating systems, except Windows XP Home Edition, Windows Vista Basic, and Windows Vista Home Premium. The technology transparently allows files to be encrypted on NTFS file systems to protect confidential data from attackers with physical access to the computer.

User authentication and access control lists can protect files from unauthorized access while the operating system is running, but are easily circumvented if an attacker gains physical access to the computer. One solution is to store the files encrypted on the disks of the computer. EFS does this using public key cryptography, and aims to ensure that decrypting the files is in theory impossible without the correct key. However, EFS is in practice susceptible to brute-force attacks against the user account passwords. In other words, encryption of files is only as strong as the password to unlock the decryption key.

read more ...wikipedia Encrypting File System - Wikipedia

modder, Oct 26, 2019
  6. NTFS & File Encryption Feature

I was recently trying to password encrypt an image file. When accessing the Advanced Attributes window, the feature used to encrypt contents to secure data selection is disabled. The ability to select a box to place a fill is unavailable.

I was searching for information on File Encryption for Windows 10, because I would like to further secure the file.

Important Considerations:

The NTFS partition is in default volume, without any modification of partition size.

The NTFS device type is SATA.

The Registry Key for NSF is enabled.

The Local System keys for availability of this feature are enabled.

I have reopened the Advanced Attributes window after each change without successfully enabling the feature.

Note: The registry key change to the Local System for NSF configuration directly affects the User NSF configuration. The two keys are identical.

I considered MMS for Local Group Policy Editing in an attempt to enable the encryption feature, but realized the MMC does not contain the Local Group Policy Editor as a snap-in, making the possibility of troubleshooting the Enable NTSF pagefile encryption
    configuration for a test of it's validity. (Test: Reopening the Advanced Attributes window for a visual of the change's effect.)

I will continue searching information that may lead to a positive resolve. I would appreciate any information you may lend.

Microsoft's community has yet to create discussion on this issue. Not much information is available. Please feel free to post your responses and experiences with NTSF file encryption issues with Windows 10, and resolves.

Resolve: Ignore the unavailable legacy operating systems visual in the Advanced Attribute window to encrypt content. (That visual is useless in Windows 10.) BitLocker is the new encryption related feature. Key Term: BitLocker

Chris Kyler Derma, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

1. Show Encrypted or Compressed NTFS files in Color in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Show Encrypted Compressed

2. Excel file on compacted/compressed NTFS drive not opening

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Excel file on compacted/compressed NTFS drive not opening: I very recently compressed my drives recently to save space, but the first time I tried to open an Excel file, in one of my drives, instead of opening normally it just gave me a save option!!! and it could only save the file as *.xlsm, which I could not open either.I tried...
  3. Excel file on compacted/compressed NTFS drive not opening

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Excel file on compacted/compressed NTFS drive not opening: I very recently compressed my drives recently to save space, but the first time I tried to open an Excel file, in one of my drives, instead of opening normally it just gave me a save option!!! and it could only save the file as *.xlsm, which I could not open either.I tried...
  4. Excel file on compacted/compressed NTFS drive not opening

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows 10 NTFS Compression

Windows 10 NTFS Compression: Hi, I have a single file which is 1.6Tb terabites in size. I've click the properties and in advanced attributes I ticked "compress contents to save disk space" then suddenly hang/freeze. I decided to cancel and restart my pc. After rebooting I noticed that the file has now a...
  6. Disable NTFS Compression, but only for new files

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Disable NTFS Compression, but only for new files: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/GDP10 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/i2mpfp/disable_ntfs_compression_but_only_for_new_files/
  7. Compress and encrypt

Compress and encrypt: Hi, all of a sudden yesterday some files and images had "two blue arrows" these can easily be removed, however when I download anything to C drive they appear again, After two and a half hours on the phone last night they could not give me a answer/solution how to...
  8. Ntfs file compression - how to remove from folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Ntfs file compression - how to remove from folders: Hi. I just noticed on my small 32GB netbook that a folder on the desktop has the blue arrows on it signifying that Windows 10 has compressed the folder and its contents on its own I guess because I don't have a lot of space left on the netbook. I found this tutorial and...
  9. Enable or Disable NTFS File Encryption in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable NTFS File Encryption in Windows: How to: Enable or Disable NTFS File Encryption in Windows How to Enable or Disable NTFS File Encryption in Windows The Encrypting File System (EFS) is the built-in encryption tool in Windows used to encrypt files and folders on NTFS drives to protect them from unwanted...
  10. Enable or Disable NTFS File Compression in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable NTFS File Compression in Windows: How to: Enable or Disable NTFS File Compression in Windows How to Enable or Disable NTFS File Compression in Windows Windows supports compression for individual files and folders on NTFS volumes using NTFS compression. While NTFS file system compression can save disk...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. policy show encrypted ntfs in colour