Windows 10: Hide or Show Preview Handlers in Preview Pane in Windows 10

Discus and support Hide or Show Preview Handlers in Preview Pane in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Hide or Show Preview Handlers in Preview Pane in Windows 10 How to Hide or Show Preview Handlers in Preview Pane of File Explorer in Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Kbird, Jul 22, 2017.

1. Kbird Win User

Hide or Show Preview Handlers in Preview Pane in Windows 10

How to: Hide or Show Preview Handlers in Preview Pane in Windows 10

How to Hide or Show Preview Handlers in Preview Pane of File Explorer in Windows 10

Hide or Show Preview Handlers in Preview Pane in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information The preview pane in File Explorer shows you the contents of a file, such as image or text files, without having to open it with an app.

Preview handlers show the content of text type files (ex: .bat, .html, .txt, etc...) in the preview pane.

This tutorial will show you how to hide or show preview handlers in preview pane of File Explorer for your account in Windows 10.

Note Setting to hide or show preview handlers in the preview pane will not affect showing a preview of image files.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Hide or Show Preview Handlers in Preview Pane using Folder Options
    • Option Two: To Hide or Show Preview Handlers in Preview Pane using a REG file

EXAMPLE: Hide or Show preview handlers in preview pane of File Explorer

OPTION ONE [/i] To Hide or Show Preview Handlers in Preview Pane using Folder Options
    1. Open Folder Options.

2. Click/tap on the View tab, check (default) or uncheck Show preview handlers in preview pane in "Advanced settings" for what you want, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

OPTION TWO [/i] To Hide or Show Preview Handlers in Preview Pane using a REG file

Note The .reg files below will modify the DWORD value in the registry key below.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced

ShowPreviewHandlers DWORD

0 = Hide
    1 = Show

1. Do step 2 (hide) or step 3 (show) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Hide Preview Handlers in Preview Pane
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Hide_preview_handlers_in_preview_pane.reg

Download

3. To Show Preview Handlers in Preview Pane
    NOTE: This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Show_preview_handlers_in_preview_pane.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. If prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. If you currently have File Explorer open, then refresh (F5) the window to apply.

8. If you like, you can now delete the downloaded .reg file.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Kbird, Jul 22, 2017

2. windows 10 Preview Pane not working for media files

It's a bug in WMP's rich preview handler... and the only workaround is to disable the handler. Doing so would fix image previews, but the media can't be played from the Preview pane. (Preview
    Pane Not Refreshing Preview Image for Video Files in Windows 10
    )

But if the folder views is set to icons, there is no point in disabling this handler, as thumbnail images render correctly anyway.

Ramesh Srinivasan, Jul 22, 2017
  3. Windows 10 File Explorer video thumbnail display problem

The problem is with Windows Media Player's Rich Preview Handler. If this handler is disabled, the Preview pane refreshes the image correctly, but you lose the ability to "play" that video from the Preview pane. I mean, the control bar won't appear under
    the preview image.

On the other hand, if the WMP Preview Handler is enabled (default), the preview image fails to update, but you can still play the video from the preview pane. Hope this gets fixed in future updates.

Here are the REG files to enable and disable the handler.

;-------------------------------------

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

;Disable WMP Rich Preview Handler

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\PreviewHandlers]

"{031EE060-67BC-460d-8847-E4A7C5E45A27}"=-

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

;Enable WMP Rich Preview Handler

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\PreviewHandlers]

"{031EE060-67BC-460d-8847-E4A7C5E45A27}"="Windows Media Player Rich Preview Handler"

Preview Pane Not Refreshing Preview Image for Video Files in Windows 10

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/preview-pane-video-image-not-updated-windows-10/

Ramesh Srinivasan, Jul 22, 2017
  4. Edwin New Member

@Kbird
    You have this unchecked?

Edwin, Jul 22, 2017
  5. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Jul 22, 2017
  6. Kbird Win User
    Thanks Guys , at least on this Computer ALL previews , not just Images , are now back . I would not of thought of the Preview as a Thumbnail , so would not of tried that.....not sure if that UNChecked , was the default in 1504? I had no issues till I got CE/1703 this week....

I'll boot the other computer and try it there too...

Thx , love 10Forums and the quick responses , this was driving me crazy(ier) *Smile

*** yep unchecking that and making sure the Preview Handlers box was Checked fixed it on the other computer too.

Kbird, Jul 22, 2017
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Glad we could help mate. *Smile

Brink, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Hide or Show Preview Handlers in Preview Pane in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Hide Show Preview

2. Restoring broken file previews preview handlers in Explorer Preview pane on Windows 10 x64

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Restoring broken file previews preview handlers in Explorer Preview pane on Windows 10 x64: Recently I've found a solution to a long-running problem, as a result of which no previews were generated in Explorer Preview pane for every file, except images and videos. It turned out that I had 64-bit Preview Handler Surrogate Host prevhost.exe registry key missing in...
  3. Restoring broken file previews preview handlers in Explorer Preview pane on Windows 10 x64

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Restoring broken file previews preview handlers in Explorer Preview pane on Windows 10 x64: Recently I've found a solution to a long-running problem, as a result of which no previews were generated in Explorer Preview pane for every file, except images and videos. It turned out that I had 64-bit Preview Handler Surrogate Host prevhost.exe registry key missing in...
  4. Restoring broken file previews preview handlers in Explorer Preview pane on Windows 10 x64

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Show Preview Handlers In Preview Pane will not stay checked

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Show Preview Handlers In Preview Pane will not stay checked: In Windows 10, the checkbox for "Show Preview Handlers In Preview Pane" will not stay checked. Sometimes it stays for up to 30 minutes, sometimes only a minute or two....
  6. Show Preview Handlers In Preview Pane will not stay checked

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Show Preview Handlers In Preview Pane will not stay checked: In Windows 10, the checkbox for "Show Preview Handlers In Preview Pane" will not stay checked. Sometimes it stays for up to 30 minutes, sometimes only a minute or two....
  7. Show Preview Handlers In Preview Pane will not stay checked

in Windows 10 Customization
  8. Win10 Explorer Preview Pane not working, preview handler Windows TXT Previewer might be broken

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Win10 Explorer Preview Pane not working, preview handler Windows TXT Previewer might be broken: Hey guys, My File Explorer will not the preview any .txt files in the preview pane. I also set up to open .md, .reg and .js files with notepad - they do open, but the preview is also broken, which leads me to believe the Windows TXT Previewer...
  9. Preview Pane Size Not Optimal, preview handlers

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Preview Pane Size Not Optimal, preview handlers: Hi, I am working on three monitors of different sizes. Multiple displays mode is set to: "Extend desktop to this display". In other words I can e.g. work with multiple apps or File Explorers opened and arranged for convenience. All three monitors are set to recommended...
  10. Show or Hide Preview Pane in File Explorer in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Show or Hide Preview Pane in File Explorer in Windows 10: How to: Show or Hide Preview Pane in File Explorer in Windows 10 How to Show or Hide Preview Pane in File Explorer in Windows 10 [img] Information The preview pane in File Explorer shows you the contents of a file, such as image or text files, without having to open...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. show preview handlers in preview pane

2. show preview handlers