Windows 10: Show or Hide Preview Pane in File Explorer in Windows 10

Discus and support Show or Hide Preview Pane in File Explorer in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Show or Hide Preview Pane in File Explorer in Windows 10 How to Show or Hide Preview Pane in File Explorer in Windows 10 [img]... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by rboppy, Jun 27, 2017.

1. rboppy Win User

Show or Hide Preview Pane in File Explorer in Windows 10

How to: Show or Hide Preview Pane in File Explorer in Windows 10

How to Show or Hide Preview Pane in File Explorer in Windows 10

Show or Hide Preview Pane in File Explorer in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information The preview pane in File Explorer shows you the contents of a file, such as image or text files, without having to open it with an app.

This tutorial will show you how to show or hide the preview pane in File Explorer for your user account in Windows 10.

Note Setting the preview pane to show or hide in File Explorer is a global setting that is applied to all folders, and not just in the current folder.

You can drag the left border of the preview pane left and right to increase or decrease its width in File Explorer.

If you set the preview pane to show, then it will replace the details pane if it is currently showing.

If you turn off thumbnail previews in File Explorer, image files will also not show a preview in the preview pane.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Show or Hide Preview Pane using Keyboard Shortcut
    • Option Two: To Show or Hide Preview Pane from File Explorer Ribbon
    • Option Three: To Show or Hide Preview Pane using a REG file

EXAMPLE: Preview pane in File Explorer

OPTION ONE [/i] To Show or Hide Preview Pane using Keyboard Shortcut
    1. While in File Explorer, press the Alt+P keys to toggle to show and hide the preview pane.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Show or Hide Preview Pane from File Explorer Ribbon
    1. While in File Explorer, click/tap on the View (Alt+V) tab, and click/tap on Preview pane in the ribbon to toggle to show and hide the preview pane. (see screenshot below)

OPTION THREE [/i] To Show or Hide Preview Pane using a REG file
    1. Do step 2 (show) or step 3 (hide) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Show Preview Pane in File Explorer
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Show_Preview_pane_in_File_Explorer.reg

Download
    3. To Hide Preview Pane in File Explorer
    NOTE: This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Hide_Preview_pane_in_File_Explorer.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. If prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. If you currently have File Explorer open, then close and reopen or navigate to another folder to apply.

8. If you like, you can delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

rboppy, Jun 27, 2017

2. preview/details pane in explorer

Hi,

Setting the Preview pane to show or hide in File Explorer will apply to all folders. If you wish to hide the Preview pane in File Explorer, we suggest that you follow the steps below:

• Open File Explorer.
    • Tap on View tab.
    • Click Preview Pane to view/hide it.

We would appreciate it if you could get back to us and provide us your feedback.

Michael Gall, Jun 27, 2017
  3. Gil deG Win User
    How to get file to show up in all of preview pane

Hi Bill,

Setting the preview pane to show or hide in File Explorer is a global setting that is applied to all folders, and not just in the current folder.

Base on the information that you provided, it's possible that some of your files is small that's why it's only showing small preview in the preview pane. For us to have a better understanding of your concern, may we ask for a screenshot of the files that
    are showing in a small box in the preview pane.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Gil deG, Jun 27, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hey rboppy, *Smile

I've always found it to be a bit flaky for what it shows a preview of in the preview pane for .txt files. Even with Notepad set as the default app for .txt files.

Brink, Jun 27, 2017
  5. rboppy Win User
    Thanks, too bad though, I thought I found a jewel.

Regards,

Jim

rboppy, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Show or Hide Preview Pane in File Explorer in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Show Hide Preview

2. Preview Pane in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Preview Pane in File Explorer: Does anyone know why my Previrew Pane is showing an Index?***Moved from Microsoft 365 and Office / Other / For business / Other*** https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/preview-pane-in-file-explorer/bd53d4ec-158c-43c0-a519-6a5840634053
  3. Preview Pane in File Explorer not showing jpg files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Preview Pane in File Explorer not showing jpg files: Win 10 version 20H2 build 19042.804 In File explorer, when selecting a jpg file it is not previewed in the Preview Pane. I have the app 'Photos' selected as the default app, as recommended for Win10. How do I fix this? Thanks O...
  4. How to show the Preview Pane for File Explorer in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to show the Preview Pane for File Explorer in Windows 10: [ATTACH]File Explorer in Windows 10 displays several layouts of files e.g. descriptions, tiles, text, and different sizes of icons. The snapshot of the file gives […] This article How to show the Preview Pane for File Explorer in Windows 10 first appeared on...
  5. Windows 10 File Explorer Preview Pane

Windows 10 File Explorer Preview Pane: How do I get Windows 10 File Explorer to show the preview pane? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-file-explorer-preview-pane/913fba07-2922-4fc8-81fe-7753b0648dcd"
  6. Windows 10 Explorer preview pane will not show jpg files

Windows 10 Explorer preview pane will not show jpg files: My Windows 10 Explorer preview pane will show other formats such as PDF and XLSX, but not JPG. In File Explorer Options: Display file icon on thumbnails Show preview handlers in preview pane, are both checked. Further, Always show icons, never thumbnails...
  7. file explorer preview pane

file explorer preview pane: Problem I`m having is the preview pane will show pdf`s fine, but will not preview jpegs https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-preview-pane/3166cd80-4954-4b11-8def-bf594a2d9831"
  8. Hide or Show Preview Handlers in Preview Pane in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Hide or Show Preview Handlers in Preview Pane in Windows 10: How to: Hide or Show Preview Handlers in Preview Pane in Windows 10 How to Hide or Show Preview Handlers in Preview Pane of File Explorer in Windows 10 [img] Information The preview pane in File Explorer shows you the contents of a file, such as image or text files,...
  9. Show or Hide Navigation Pane in File Explorer in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Show or Hide Navigation Pane in File Explorer in Windows 10: How to: Show or Hide Navigation Pane in File Explorer in Windows 10 [img] Information You can use the navigation pane in File Explorer to browse locations such as Quick access, OneDrive, Libraries, This PC, Network, and Homegroup. You can also move or copy items directly...
  10. Show or Hide Details Pane in File Explorer in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Show or Hide Details Pane in File Explorer in Windows 10: How to: Show or Hide Details Pane in File Explorer in Windows 10 How to Show or Hide Details Pane in File Explorer in Windows 10 [img] Information The details pane in File Explorer shows you see the most common properties associated with the selected file. File...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. hide preview pane windows 10

2. hide preview pane explorer

3. windows 10 show preview pane status bar

4. hide preview pane file explorer win 10,
  5. how to hide preview in file explorer,
  6. how hide file preview in windows 10