Windows 10: Reset Details and Preview Pane Width Size in Windows 8 and 10

Discus and support Reset Details and Preview Pane Width Size in Windows 8 and 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Reset Details and Preview Pane Width Size in Windows 8 and 10 How to Reset Details and Preview Pane Width Size to Default in Windows 8 and 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Aug 10, 2017.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Reset Details and Preview Pane Width Size in Windows 8 and 10

How to: Reset Details and Preview Pane Width Size in Windows 8 and 10

How to Reset Details and Preview Pane Width Size to Default in Windows 8 and 10

Reset Details and Preview Pane Width Size in Windows 8 and 10 [​IMG]
    Information The details pane shows you see the most common properties associated with the selected file. File properties provide more detailed info about a file, such as the author, the date you last changed the file, and any descriptive tags you might have added to the file.

The preview pane shows you see the contents of a file, such as image or text files, without having to open it with an app.

You can adjust the width of the details pane or preview pane in File Explorer by dragging its left border to the left or right for the width you want. The details pane and preview pane share the same width setting. This is also a global setting that gets applied to all explorer windows in only your user account.

This tutorial will show you how to reset the width of the details pane and preview pane in explorer back to default for your account in Windows 8 and Windows 10.

Note The downloadable .reg file below in this tutorial deletes the DetailsContainerSizer binary value in the registry key below to reset the navigation pane width.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Modules\GlobalSettings\Sizer

EXAMPLE: Details Pane and Preview Pane default width in File Explorer

Here's How:

1. Click/tap on the Download button below to download the .reg file below.
    *Arrow Reset_Details_and_Preview_Pane_width_in_explorer.reg

Download
    2. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

3. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

4. If prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

5. If you currently have File Explorer open, then close and reopen or navigate to another folder to apply.

6. If you like, you can delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Aug 10, 2017
  2. AndreTen Win User
    AndreTen, Oct 26, 2019
  3. preview/details pane in explorer

Hi,

Setting the Preview pane to show or hide in File Explorer will apply to all folders. If you wish to hide the Preview pane in File Explorer, we suggest that you follow the steps below:

• Open File Explorer.
    • Tap on View tab.
    • Click Preview Pane to view/hide it.

We would appreciate it if you could get back to us and provide us your feedback.

Michael Gall, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Eclassbud Win User

Video in the preview pane

Aileen,

Thank you so much for your reply.

What I really need to know is how get the video to play in the preview pane. Prior to Windows 10, this worked wonderfully and was an asset. Now, it requires making changes to the Windows registry - not recommended due to the enormous amount of issues with
    Windows 10.

Any other suggestions?

Eclassbud, Oct 26, 2019
  5. Pavan_N Win User
    Windows 10 Explorer File Details Pane

Hi,

If you are referring for preview pane in File explorer then follow the steps below.

• Open File explorer; open any document or file or folder.
    • Click on View on the Quick access toolbar ribbon.
    • Click on Preview pane or Details pane.
    You may please provide your suggestions in the feedback app. It will be directly referred by our
    developer’s team for further improvement.

Follow the steps:

• Go to Start, enter the phrase Windows Feedback and then select Windows Feedback.
    • See if someone else has given similar feedback by entering the topic, such as Microsoft Music.
    • If you find similar feedback, select it, add any details and then select
      Me too.
    • To narrow your search to a specific category, pick the category that most closely matches your feedback (so it gets to the right people quickly). For example, for feedback about the Music app, select Apps > Music.
    • If you don’t find any similar feedback, select New Feedback, choose a topic from
      Select a category and then select a subcategory.
    • Enter your feedback (the more details the better!), add a screenshot if you can, and you're done.
    Hope it helps. Thank you.

Pavan_N, Oct 26, 2019
  6. windows explorer preview pane auto resize doesn't work like win7

Hi zakmyo

My name is Andre Da Costa; an Independent Consultant, Windows Insider MVP and Windows & Devices for IT MVP. I'm here to help you with your problem.

See if the recommendations in the following article resolves this issue:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/41687-reset...

Information in the above link is sourced from a trusted Microsoft MVP blog.

Andre for Directly, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

1. Reset Details and Preview Pane Width Size in Windows 8 and 10 - Similar Threads - Reset Details Preview

2. Windows Explorer - Preview and Details panes are missing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Explorer - Preview and Details panes are missing: I don't have option to show Details and Preview Panes in Windows Explorer - View - Show menu. How can I fix that?Edition: Windows 11 ProVersion: 23H2I've already tried:Options - Folder Options - Restore DefaultsAlt + PShow preview handlers in preview pane is checkedSFC...
  3. Windows Explorer - Preview and Details panes are missing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Explorer - Preview and Details panes are missing: I don't have option to show Details and Preview Panes in Windows Explorer - View - Show menu. How can I fix that?Edition: Windows 11 ProVersion: 23H2I've already tried:Options - Folder Options - Restore DefaultsAlt + PShow preview handlers in preview pane is checkedSFC...
  4. Font size in preview pane

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Font size in preview pane: How do I set default preview size in Windows explorer preview pane? To clarify - size of text / file contents being previewed, not size of window or preview pane itself. I am able to do it for each file by Ctrl+scrolling mouse in and out, but it doesn't stay that way....
  5. Font size in preview pane

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Font size in preview pane: How do I set default preview size in Windows explorer preview pane? To clarify - size of text / file contents being previewed, not size of window or preview pane itself. I am able to do it for each file by Ctrl+scrolling mouse in and out, but it doesn't stay that way....
  6. OneDrive and Explorer's Preview/Details pane

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    OneDrive and Explorer's Preview/Details pane: Dear Microsoft and users, I noticed that, when you enable the Preview or Details pane while using OneDrive, Windows Explorer will "stop responding". There's probably a problem with fetching certain information form OneDrive files even when they are set to "always available...
  7. How to change size of Details Pane image preview

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to change size of Details Pane image preview: Good day, I would like to know how to change the size of my Details pane imagine preview which will make viewing previews of visual files far easier than actually opening the file. I would like to implement this throughout our office so that everyone can browse our library...
  8. adjust file preview size on file explorer details pane

in Windows 10 Support
    adjust file preview size on file explorer details pane: Hello, I was wondering about the possibility to increase the images thumbnail size on the details pane in file explorer, and to make the panel maller than allowed by default. Is it possible? Thank you for your help [img] 56199
  9. Customize Preview Details in Details Pane of File Explorer in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Customize Preview Details in Details Pane of File Explorer in Windows: How to: Customize Preview Details in Details Pane of File Explorer in Windows How to Customize Preview Details in Details Pane of File Explorer in Windows The details pane shows you see the most common properties associated with the selected file. File properties...
  10. Reset Navigation Pane Width Size to Default in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Reset Navigation Pane Width Size to Default in Windows: How to: Reset Navigation Pane Width Size to Default in Windows How to Reset Navigation Pane Width Size to Default in Windows [img] Information You can use the navigation pane to browse locations such as Quick access, OneDrive, Libraries, This PC, Network, and...