Windows 10: Clear Virtual Memory Pagefile at Shutdown in Windows 10

Discus and support Clear Virtual Memory Pagefile at Shutdown in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Clear Virtual Memory Pagefile at Shutdown in Windows 10 How to Clear Virtual Memory Pagefile at Shutdown in Windows 10 Virtual memory... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by axe0, Nov 24, 2017.

1. axe0 New Member

Clear Virtual Memory Pagefile at Shutdown in Windows 10

How to: Clear Virtual Memory Pagefile at Shutdown in Windows 10

How to Clear Virtual Memory Pagefile at Shutdown in Windows 10

Virtual memory support uses a system pagefile to swap pages of memory to disk when they are not used. On a running system, this pagefile is opened exclusively by the operating system, and it is well protected. However, systems that are configured to allow booting to other operating systems might have to make sure that the system pagefile is wiped clean when this system shuts down. This ensures that sensitive information from process memory that might go into the pagefile is not available to an unauthorized user who manages to directly access the pagefile.

Some third-party programs can temporarily store unencrypted (plain-text) passwords or other sensitive information in memory. Because of the Windows virtual memory architecture, this information can be present in the paging file.

Although clearing the paging file is not a suitable substitute for physical security of a computer, you might want to do this to increase the security of data on a computer while Windows is not running.

The Shutdown: Clear virtual memory pagefile security policy setting determines whether the virtual memory paging file is cleared when the device is shut down.

If you turn on clear virtual memory pagefile upon clean shutdown, the hibernation file (hiberfil.sys) is also zeroed out if hibernation is disabled.

If you turn on clear virtual memory pagefile upon clean shutdown, shutdown and restart will take a bit longer to finish.

This tutorial will show you how to turn on or off to clear the virtual memory pagefile when you restart Windows 10.

*Warning You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to turn on or off to clear the virtual memory pagefile at shutdown.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Turn On or Off Clear Virtual Memory Pagefile at Shutdown in Local Security Policy
    • Option Two: To Turn On or Off Clear Virtual Memory Pagefile at Shutdown using a REG file

OPTION ONE [/i] To Turn On or Off Clear Virtual Memory Pagefile at Shutdown in Local Security Policy

*note The Local Security Policy will only be available in the Windows 10 Pro and Windows 10 Enterprise editions.

All editions can use Option Two below.

1. Open Local Security Policy (secpol.msc).

2. Click/tap to open Local Policies and Security Options in the left pane of Local Security Policy. (see screenshot below)

Clear Virtual Memory Pagefile at Shutdown in Windows 10 [​IMG]

3. In the right pane of Security Options, double click/tap on the Shutdown: Clear virtual memory pagefile policy to open its properties. (see screenshot above)

4. Select (dot) Enabled or Disabled (default) for what you want, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

5. When finished, you can close Local Security Policy if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Turn On or Off Clear Virtual Memory Pagefile at Shutdown using a REG file

*note The downloadable .reg files below will modify the DWORD value in the registry key below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management

ClearPageFileAtShutdown DWORD

0= Off
    1 = On

1. Do step 2 (on) or step 3 (off) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Turn On Clear Virtual Memory Pagefile at Shutdown
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Turn_On_Clear_Pagefile_at_Shutdown.reg

Download

3. To Turn Off Clear Virtual Memory Pagefile at Shutdown
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Turn_Off_Clear_Pagefile_at_Shutdown.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. When prompted, click on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

2. Windows 10 takes too long to shutdown/restart/hibernate

check this first

goto

• Click Start, type secpol.msc, and then press ENTER.
    • Expand Local Policies.
    • Click Security Options.
    • Look in the 'Security Setting column to the right side of the Shutdown: Clear virtual memory pagefile entry.

Shutdown: Clear virtual memory pagefile

Disable it.

JamieHarding, Nov 24, 2017
  3. How does page file work (in laymen's terms please) and is my RAM having problems?

Hi,

To know more about how pagefile works, we suggest that you visit this
    link
    (refer to Pagefile) and check if it helps. The article also includes
    information about RAM, virtual memory, pagefile, and memory management in Windows.

Let us know if you have any other queries.

Lizette Ags, Nov 24, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello Martijn, *Smile

I wouldn't think so with a system crash.

Brink, Nov 24, 2017
  5. Tonyb Win User
    how do you tell if this stuff is even on, on your system ? and is it good to clear it from time to time if it is on. ? or is it better to just encrypt the stuff as i seen you had a encrypting thread as well?

Tonyb, Mar 20, 2018
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Tony, *Smile

You would need to look at the setting to tell if it's turned on or off. However, you will notice a longer shutdown while it's clearing the page file (if turned on).

It really depends on your needs and wants. This is more for a stronger security measure to clear or encrypt the page file.

The average home user PC wouldn't need to turn this on unless concerned about someone accessing the page file to see its content.

Brink, Mar 20, 2018
  7. Hi,
    Nice one Shawn
    What's the listing above about is that to help with the new fake shut down features ?

ThrashZone, Mar 20, 2018
  8. Tonyb Win User

would it be better to encrypt it versus clearing it , or is it better to do both whats your opinion on this, as i'm a cautions person and the more security the better.

Tonyb, Mar 20, 2018
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Since you want the strongest security for this, doing both would be better.

Brink, Mar 20, 2018
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Mar 20, 2018
  11. Tonyb Win User
    cool will give it a try if i see to much of a system hit i can always turn off *Smile

Tonyb, Mar 20, 2018
  12. Hi,
    Interesting by the text on it I would of though it did something totally different *Confused

ThrashZone, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Clear Virtual Memory Pagefile at Shutdown in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Clear Virtual Memory

2. Is it safe to clear Virtual memory on shutdown?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Is it safe to clear Virtual memory on shutdown?: My virtual memory is a bit high, I do have it set to let windows automatically handle it. people have been telling me enabling clearing Virtual memory on shut down is safe and in some cases recommended for security reasons. And many others told me it wasn't safe but that was...
  3. Is it safe to clear Virtual memory on shutdown?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it safe to clear Virtual memory on shutdown?: My virtual memory is a bit high, I do have it set to let windows automatically handle it. people have been telling me enabling clearing Virtual memory on shut down is safe and in some cases recommended for security reasons. And many others told me it wasn't safe but that was...
  4. Is it safe to clear Virtual memory on shutdown?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Clear Pagefile At Shutdown

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Clear Pagefile At Shutdown: If I completely preinstalled and updated my genshin impact game. Then next day, is clear pagefile at shutdown delete my genshin update files? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/clear-pagefile-at-shutdown/c3bb4890-1b05-4ff9-a9ff-44c31961b1a7
  6. Clear Pagefile At Shutdown

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Clear Pagefile At Shutdown: If I completely preinstalled and updated my genshin impact game. Then next day, is clear pagefile at shutdown delete my genshin update files? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/clear-pagefile-at-shutdown/c3bb4890-1b05-4ff9-a9ff-44c31961b1a7
  7. Set pagefile auto-clear on shutdown ?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Set pagefile auto-clear on shutdown ?: Hello, so i'm currently using Windows 10 Home edition, and i have been trying to set pagefile to automatically clear on shut down. Most online tutorial suggest to do this via Advanced system settings -> Performance -> Setting -> Advanced -> Virtual Memory, uncheck...
  8. Pagefile/RAM won't clear on shutdown/restart

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Pagefile/RAM won't clear on shutdown/restart: I've edited the registry key value to 1 instead of 0 I'm running Win10 Home so Group Policy won't launch Manually set pagefile to 0 in System Performance through 'This PC' BIOS doesn't have an option for clearing RAM or pagefile upon shutdown Is there another way to...
  9. Clear Pagefile on Shutdown

in Windows 10 Support
    Clear Pagefile on Shutdown: I've been looking into clearing the pagefile, and I found the following steps at a somewhat dated webpage: In the registry editor, navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management Set ClearPageFileAtShutdown to the REG_DWORD...
  10. Manage Virtual Memory Pagefile in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Manage Virtual Memory Pagefile in Windows 10: How to: Manage Virtual Memory Pagefile in Windows 10 How to Manage Virtual Memory Pagefile in Windows 10 Paging is a memory management scheme by which a PC stores and retrieves data from secondary storage for use in main memory. In this scheme, the operating system...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. shutdown: clear virtual memory pagefile windows 10 recommendation

2. clear virtual memory win 10

3. clear virtual memory pagefile windows 10

4. clear the virtual memory windos 10,
  5. windows 10 shutdown and clear memory,
  6. windows 10 shutdown clear all memory,
  7. clear pagefile on shutdown windows 10,
  8. Clear Virtual Memory windows 10,
  9. clearpagefile windows 10,
  10. clear virtual memory at shutdown windows 10