Windows 10: My notepad text showing weird symbols and characters

Discus and support My notepad text showing weird symbols and characters in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi, Please can you help me, I suffered from a virus attack and my computer is no longer behaving properly! Microsoft Office won't open and I had some... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by gremar, Nov 7, 2019.

1. gremar Win User

My notepad text showing weird symbols and characters

Hi,
    Please can you help me, I suffered from a virus attack and my computer is no longer behaving properly! Microsoft Office won't open and I had some backups made by Macrium Reflect which look like they are corrupt and the icon of the backup has changed to notepad and when I want to restore, Macrium no longer recongnised them.The main thing is my important notepad text files, which were kept on a separate drive, have changed to some weird charaters as well! Is there anyway I can convert them back to my original text?

Thank you!

My notepad text showing weird symbols and characters [​IMG]

:)

gremar, Nov 7, 2019
  2. somnus21 Win User

Notepad showing symbols?

I tried to open a notepad with lyrics in a different language, and the English on the file is fine, but the text in the other language shows up as a bunch of symbols. How can I fix this?

somnus21, Nov 7, 2019
  3. To Find Text in Notepad

How to Find and Replace Text in Notepad in Windows 10

Notepad is a simple text editor included in Windows and a basic text-editing program which enables computer users to create documents.

You can search to find text in Notepad, and search to find and replace text in Notepad.

Starting with Windows 10 build 17713, Microsoft made significant improvements to the find/replace experience in Notepad. Microsoft added the option to do wrap-around find/replace to the find dialog and Notepad will now remember previously entered values and the state of checkboxes and automatically populate them the next time you open the find dialog. Additionally, when you have text selected and open the find dialog it will automatically populate the search field with the selected text.

This tutorial will show you how to find and replace text within a document in Notepad in Windows 10.

CONTENTS:

OPTION ONE
    To Find Text in Notepad
    1. While in Notepad, perform one of the following actions you want to search and find text: (see screenshots below)
    • Press the Ctrl+F keys.
    • Select (highlight) text you want to search and find, and press the Ctrl+F keys.
    • Click/tap on Edit on the menu bar, and click/tap on Find.
    2. Type what you want to find in the Find what field if it doesn't already have what you want.

3. Check or uncheck the Match case box for what you want.

4. Check or uncheck the Wrap around box for what you want.

*note Wrap around is only available starting with Windows 10 build 17713.

5. Select (dot) Up or Down for the Direction where the cursor is at within the text you want to find from.

6. When you are ready to starting finding the text entered in step 2, perform one of the following actions you want:
    • Click/tap on the Find Next button.
    • Press the F3 key. If the Find dialog is currently open, then you will need to click/tap on the Find Next button at least once first.
    • Click/tap on Edit on the menu bar, and click/tap on Find Next. This option will not work if the Find dialog is currently open.
    7. Repeat step 6 to find all instances of the text entered in step 2, and/or click/tap on OK when it cannot find any other instances.

OPTION TWO
    To Replace Text in Notepad
    1. While in Notepad, perform one of the following actions you want to search and find text to replace: (see screenshots below)
    • Press the Ctrl+H keys.
    • Select (highlight) text you want to search and find, and press the Ctrl+H keys.
    • Click/tap on Edit on the menu bar, and click/tap on Replace.
    2. Type what you want to find in the Find what field if it doesn't already have what you want.

3. Type what you want to replace text with from step 2 in the Replace with field.

4. Check or uncheck the Match case box for what you want.

5. Check or uncheck the Wrap around box for what you want.

*note Wrap around is only available starting with Windows 10 build 17713.

6. When you are ready to start to find text entered in step 2, perform one of the following actions you want:
    • Click/tap on the Find Next button.
    • Press the F3 key. If the Replace dialog is currently open, then you will need to click/tap on the Find Next button at least once first.
    7. If you want to replace this specific text found with text entered in step 3, click/tap on the Replace button.

*note You can click/tap on the Replace All button instead if you want to go ahead and automatically replace all found text from step 2 with text entered in step 3.

8. Repeat step 6 and step 7 to find and replace all instances of text you want, and/or click/tap on OK when it cannot find any other instances.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

Shawn Brink, Nov 7, 2019
  4. My notepad text showing weird symbols and characters

Windows 10 Character Map and Notepad

When making a list in Notepad I want to place a check mark beside some of the listed items.
    So tonight I googled a way to do that. I came across a webpage on control keys and symbols.
    The instructions stated that Open the Character Map and under the pull down menu item look for Windlings 2.
    I did that and found my check mark symbol. PTL. So I selected the check mark symbol and copied it.
    So I went to my opened notepad document and did the right click menu with the mouse and selected paste.
    Instead of the check mark symbol I got the Capital Letter P. I just tried to paste the check mark symbol here and I got (P) again.

So do I need to be in unicode mode to get the check mark to work? Hey I know it is less complicated if I use shift x butt I wanted to "spread my winglings"!

1ThursdayJC, Nov 7, 2019
Thema:

My notepad text showing weird symbols and characters

1. My notepad text showing weird symbols and characters - Similar Threads - notepad text showing

2. Notepad and Notepad++ shows weird symbols and numbers and others on an codec, like MP4, MP3...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Notepad and Notepad++ shows weird symbols and numbers and others on an codec, like MP4, MP3...: So I found an weird thing with the codecs I mentioned on the title. When I open an codec with Notepad or Notepad++, it shows weird symbols and numbers and others. What are these weird things doing for this codec? Thanks!...
  3. Notepad and Notepad++ shows weird symbols and numbers and others on an codec, like MP4, MP3...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Notepad and Notepad++ shows weird symbols and numbers and others on an codec, like MP4, MP3...: So I found an weird thing with the codecs I mentioned on the title. When I open an codec with Notepad or Notepad++, it shows weird symbols and numbers and others. What are these weird things doing for this codec? Thanks!...
  4. Notepad and Notepad++ shows weird symbols and numbers and others on an codec, like MP4, MP3...

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. How to insert text symbols and special characters in windows

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to insert text symbols and special characters in windows: I want to know is there any way to insert text symbols and special characters in windows 10? As we can type emoji with shortcut key of Windows+. Is there any similar shortcut key for symbols as well, where we can type symbols along with the text? Thank you....
  6. How to type text symbols and special characters in windows

How to type text symbols and special characters in windows: I want to know is there any way to type text symbols and special characters in windows 10? As we can type emoji with shortcut key of Windows+. Is there any similar shortcut key for symbols as well, where we can type symbols along with the text? Thank you....
  7. Missing Symbols showing as blocks in Character Map

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Missing Symbols showing as blocks in Character Map: There seems to be a number of characters missing in my character map and they are showing as blocks. I have noticed that affects a few of my frequently used programs and i cant seem to fix it. Please assist. [ATTACH]...
  8. Computers showing weird symbols.

Computers showing weird symbols.: Split from this thread. Not sure what uptdate happend, but my 2 computers start showing this weird symbols on the numbers and it does affect all the documents. As well my key "t, y and backspace" stop working dont sure if was as a part of the uptdate or just coincidental....
  9. My note pad text showing weird symbols and characters

in Windows 10 Support
    My note pad text showing weird symbols and characters: Hi, Please can you help me, I suffered from a virus attack and my computer is no longer behaving properly! Microsoft Office won't open and I had some backups made by Macrium Reflect which look like they are corrupt and the icon of the backup has changed to notepad and when I...
  10. WordPad not showing text or opens with weird symbols

in Windows 10 News
    WordPad not showing text or opens with weird symbols: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]When you open a document in WordPad in Windows 10 and see a set of weird symbols aka garbage text, then it’s probably because of the corrupted WordPad settings. In this post, we will show you can fix WordPad when [...] This post WordPad not showing text or...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. notepad showing strange characters

2. notepad shows only symbols

3. weird character in notepad that causes print to go to next page

4. windows weird text symbols,
  5. Wordpad replaced my text with symbols