Windows 10: Reset PIN for your Account in Windows 10

Discus and support Reset PIN for your Account in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Reset PIN for your Account in Windows 10 How to Reset the PIN for your Account in Windows 10 Windows Hello in Windows 10 enables users to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Cincinnatux, Jun 22, 2015.

1. Reset PIN for your Account in Windows 10

How to: Reset PIN for your Account in Windows 10

How to Reset the PIN for your Account in Windows 10

Windows Hello in Windows 10 enables users to sign in to their device using a PIN (Personal Identification Number). You can use this PIN to sign in to Windows, apps, and services.

One important difference between a password and a Hello PIN is that the PIN is tied to the specific device on which it was set up. That PIN is useless to anyone without that specific hardware. Someone who steals your password can sign in to your account from anywhere, but if they steal your PIN, they'd have to steal your physical device too!

Even you can't use that PIN anywhere except on that specific device. If you want to sign in on multiple devices, you have to set up Hello on each device.

For more information about PIN, see:
    When you sign in to Windows 10 with PIN, you only need to type your PIN number without pressing Enter.

If you forgot your PIN, you can reset it.

This tutorial will show you how to reset the PIN for your account in Windows 10.

*note If you use your Microsoft account PIN to access games, social networking, or financial institutions, you'll need to log in from scratch in each of those places after your reset your PIN.

*tip If you are unable to sign in to Windows 10 with your PIN, you can click/tap on the Sign-in options link, and select to sign in with your password instead.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Reset PIN of your Local Account or Microsoft Account in Settings
    • Option Two: To Reset PIN of your Microsoft Account at Sign-in

EXAMPLE: Sign-in to Windows 10 with PIN

Reset PIN for your Account in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] To Reset PIN of your Local Account or Microsoft Account in Settings
    1. Open the Settings app, and click/tap on the Accounts icon.

2. Click/tap on Sign-in options on the left side, and click/tap on the I forgot my PIN link under PIN on the right side. (see screenshot below)

3. If your PIN is for a Microsoft account, then click/tap on Continue to confirm. (see screenshot below)

4. If prompted to verify your account password, enter your password or required information, and click/tap on OK or Sign in, Next, and Next. (see screenshot below)
    (Verify local account)

(Verify Microsoft account)

5. Enter at least a minimum 4 digit new PIN number you want for your account, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

6. When finished, you can close Settings if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Reset PIN of your Microsoft Account at Sign-in
    *Warning You must be connected to the Internet to be able to do this option.

*note Starting with Windows 10 build 18309, the streamlined Windows Hello PIN reset experience is now available on all Windows 10 editions.

1. Click/tap on the I forgot my PIN link for your Microsoft account while on the sign-in screen. (see screenshot below)

2. You will now see the screen below for Just a moment.

3. Enter the password for your Microsoft account, and click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)

4. If you have two-step verification turned on for your Microsoft account, you will need to select how you would like to get a security code. Enter the required information, and click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)

A) Enter the code you received from Microsoft, and click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)

5. You will now see the screen below for Just a moment.

6. Click/tap on Continue to confirm. (see screenshot below)

7. Enter at least a minimum 4 digit new PIN number you want for your Microsoft account, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

8. You can now sign in to Windows 10 with your Microsoft account using the new PIN. (see screenshot below)

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Cincinnatux, Jun 22, 2015

2. UNLOCK WINDOWS 0 PC WITH PIN

Hi,

Microsoft account or Windows login PIN?

Microsoft account does not have a PIN.

For you Windows login PIN, try some of these options:

1. Reset the PIN for your Windows 10 account

2. Remove PIN from your Windows 10 account

3. Add a PIN to your Windows 10 account

4. Change the PIN for your Windows 10 account

keep us updated with the outcome.

Joanna 777, Jun 22, 2015
  3. No place to sign into Windows 10: No log-in lock screen PIN input field showing; locked out

Hi David,

To resolve the issue regarding locked out in Windows 10, we suggest you follow the steps below:

• Open the “Settings” in Win menu and click on the “Account” icon to enter account settings.

• Choose “Sign-in option” and click “I forgot my PIN”, you can reset your PIN there. If it is a local account, please input the local account login password and then you can reset your PIN.

Let us know how it goes.

Jenicel Dri, Jun 22, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Reset PIN for your Account in Windows 10

Yeah, hopefully Microsoft will add a separate "Reset" button instead to help make it clearer. *Smile

Brink, Jun 22, 2015
  5. There is no need to go through the reset procedure to change your pin. Simply go to settings> accounts > sign in options, and click on the change button, seen in the tutorial just to the left of the "I forgot my pin" link. You will be prompted to enter your current pin, the new pin, and confirm the new pin. This will change the pin for any devices that use the account to log on in Win10, or Win 8.1. It will not change the 4 digit numeric password us on the Win 8.1 phone lock screen, as this is not an actual log in. You have to change it manually in the phone's settings under change password.

johnsonwilliam, Oct 28, 2015
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Johnson, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

The tutorial here is for if you forgot your PIN, and wanted to reset to change it instead.

What you posted would be fine if you remembered your PIN and just wanted to change it like in the tutorial below.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/7...dows-10-a.html

Brink, Oct 28, 2015
  7. Actually, the thread plainly discusses pretending to forget your pin in order to change it. The tutorial seems to imply that this is necessary. My post is directed at the individual who specifically mentioned pretending to forget. If the tutorial is meant to teach how to reset a forgetten pin, it needs to be rewritten to make that clear.

johnsonwilliam, Oct 28, 2015
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Sorry, I thought that I forgot my PIN would have been clear enough.

Brink, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Reset PIN for your Account in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Reset PIN Account

2. How to reset your windows PIN on windows 10?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to reset your windows PIN on windows 10?: Hello,I have a pc that runs windows 10. I need to log in using my microsoft PIN, but I have forgotten it. Every tutorial I try to follow tells me to go to go to "start>settings>account>sign-in options>select PIN Windows Hello > I forgot my PIN and follow the instructions."The...
  3. How to reset your windows PIN on windows 10?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to reset your windows PIN on windows 10?: Hello,I have a pc that runs windows 10. I need to log in using my microsoft PIN, but I have forgotten it. Every tutorial I try to follow tells me to go to go to "start>settings>account>sign-in options>select PIN Windows Hello > I forgot my PIN and follow the instructions."The...
  4. How to reset your windows PIN on windows 10?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Click to reset your PIN

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Click to reset your PIN: What is this situation? All my files were lost. All my settings were lost I had to reinstall because of a problem your Windows caused me I turned on my computer and I seen this login error : Something happened and your PIN is not available. Click to reset your PIN. I'm trying...
  6. "Your organisation requires you to reset your pin" Pin automatically resetted and I can't...

"Your organisation requires you to reset your pin" Pin automatically resetted and I can't...: So I logged into my PC this morning and everything was working fine. I logged back in later in the afternoon to check up my emails and when I was going to log in, it said "Your organisation requires you to reset your pin" so I thought no problem but when trying to type in the...
  7. Resetting the PIN on Windows 10

Resetting the PIN on Windows 10: So I signed into the Microsoft Store with my school account, and then when I restarted my computer, it made me reset my PIN to 6 digits. Now it won't let me change it back and I am VERY lost. Please help...
  8. Add PIN to your Account in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add PIN to your Account in Windows 10: How to: Add PIN to your Account in Windows 10 How to Add a PIN to your Account in Windows 10 Windows Hello in Windows 10 enables users to sign in to their device using a PIN (Personal Identification Number). You can use this PIN to sign in to Windows, apps, and...
  9. Change PIN for your Account in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change PIN for your Account in Windows 10: How to: Change PIN for your Account in Windows 10 How to Change the PIN for your Account in Windows 10 Windows Hello in Windows 10 enables users to sign in to their device using a PIN (Personal Identification Number). You can use this PIN to sign in to Windows, apps,...
  10. Remove PIN from your Account in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Remove PIN from your Account in Windows 10: How to: Remove PIN from your Account in Windows 10 How to Remove PIN from your Account in Windows 10 Windows Hello in Windows 10 enables users to sign in to their device using a PIN (Personal Identification Number). You can use this PIN to sign in to Windows, apps, and...