Windows 10: Resetting Win10 Pro Without Pain (much)?

Discus and support Resetting Win10 Pro Without Pain (much)? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My pc has finally gotten to the point where I need to reset it. Unfortunately, that’s complicated by a couple things: 1. I can’t locate my thumb... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by cubdukat, Oct 25, 2017.

1. cubdukat Win User

Resetting Win10 Pro Without Pain (much)?

My pc has finally gotten to the point where I need to reset it. Unfortunately, that’s complicated by a couple things:

1. I can’t locate my thumb drive with Win10 Pro on it. I was one of the early adopters that upgraded from Win8.

2. When I upgraded my regular hard drive to an SSD, I made hard links to the major folders (Docs, Pics, Program Files, etc.) to a 4TB hard drive. For re reset, should I either disconnect this or shut it off in BIOS so that it won’t mess with things like my pics, videos and music?

Normally this wouldn’t be an issue, but I am unable to get another 4TB to back up the current one, and the pc is rapidly approaching the point of unusability. I just want to get this done in the most painless way as possible short of a clean install.

:)

cubdukat, Oct 25, 2017

2. Win 10 Update, keyboard not working

Can I unistall the Win10 update, it's simply causing me too much pain?

Nick Roger, Oct 25, 2017
  3. fedup2016 Win User
    how to get back to the WIN 10 desktop?

I have just ugraded to Win10 from Win7 Pro and cannot figure out how to return to the desktop when 2 or more windows (apps?) are open and running. Win 7 had a small rectangle to the right of the clock in the lower right hand corner that when clicked on
    took you straight to the desktop without closing the active windows. That rectangle is missing from Win10.

Is there a way to return directly to the Win10 desktop without individually closing each open window? Maybe a keyboard shortcut? Or how about a way to set this up manually if a method doesn't already exist?

As of now it's a BIG PAIN to minimize/close multiple windows (apps?) just to get to the desktop, and then I have to re-open them again.

fedup2016, Oct 25, 2017
  4. Resetting Win10 Pro Without Pain (much)?

Hi cubdukat.

No issue on not finding USB key. Make another. If you want to do a clean install just skip the step where you enter license. MS fingerprinted machine and 10 will activate on its own. If you use media creation tool today you will get V1709 Fall Creators Update.

Clean Install Windows 10

Not exactly sure what you mean hard link. If your data is safely on HDD, which it sounds like it is as you created link in first place, and you know it could be read by another machine you should be able to disconnect.

Before proceeding with the clean install maybe explain what you mean by a hard link and let members comment.

There is the ability to reset Windows from within advance Statup options. There is option to keep files but not sure about hard links.

Reset Windows 10

Ken

Caledon Ken, Oct 25, 2017
  5. cubdukat Win User
    What I did to create the hard links was I would right-click on the icon in Windows Explorer for, say, Documents, and change the drive letter to the one for the 4TB data drive. I tried doing using a soft link from the command window, but that didn't work. I did the same with Pictures, Video, Music, Downloads, Program Files (both) and Program Data folders.

I'm thinking that to be completely safe I should physically disconnect the 4TB drive before doing the reset. But the problem is that I don't know how many programs the system needs to boot properly were installed on that drive.

Either that or wait until I have an empty 4TB drive to clone it to to make sure I have a replacement in case something goes wrong...

cubdukat, Oct 25, 2017
  6. Well you installed all your programs on your SSD and that is what you are going to have to do again. Your program files are on C:, correct, and I would imagine your apps data is there to. These will be lost. Things like your browser favorites or profiles can be saved before doing. I would be doing what you said, disconnect data drive.

Do you have an extensive program list?

The clean install tutorial will be just like install SSD in terms of work. Did you steer programs to alternate drive or just their data?

Here are the forums tutorials on moving Data Libraries to alternate drive.

How to Move Your Documents Folder Location in Windows 10
    How to Move Your Downloads Folder Location in Windows 10
    How to Move Your Music Folder Location in Windows 10
    How to Move Your Pictures Folder Location in Windows 10
    How to Move Your Videos Folder Location in Windows 10

Ken

Caledon Ken, Oct 25, 2017
  7. cubdukat Win User
    I actually did both. The SSD’s only 250GB. I can’t even update to a new Win10 Insider Build because the system’s so borked. I have quite a few programs installed. I think what I’m gonna do is around tax time, I’ll get a larger SSD and another 4TB to clone the current data. I’ll just try to tough it out with the current situation until then. I’m in the process of aggregating all the programs I would need to reinstall so I would have them handy. The big problem is backing up all those folders since they’re that large.

cubdukat, Jan 2, 2018
  8. Resetting Win10 Pro Without Pain (much)?

I think I would audit what is on your SSD and determine if you still need.

One person's opinion, 250GB is a lot of space for programs.

Maybe run the windows disk cleanup tools.

If you go Start > Settings > System > Storage and then click on your drive it should give you a breakdown

Caledon Ken, Jan 2, 2018
  9. cubdukat Win User
    Thanks for all the really good suggestions. Unfortunately, the system has devolved to the point where I have to act immediately. Because all of the programs that will be reinstalled are on the data drive hard-linked to the SSD, I'm going to disconnect the data drive and do a clean install, then re-link the data drive and reinstall everything. I would have liked to have waited until I had the new SSD and hard drive to do this, but that's a non-starter since Win10 is on the borderline of unusability.

cubdukat, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Resetting Win10 Pro Without Pain (much)?

1. Resetting Win10 Pro Without Pain (much)? - Similar Threads - Resetting Win10 Pro

2. Reset Surface Pro without Password or Recovery Key

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Reset Surface Pro without Password or Recovery Key: I have tried several times to reset my surface through troubleshooting and downloading through the cloud and local but neither option works. I receive an error stating unable to download. I am trying to sign in with no domain....
  3. Reset Surface Pro without Password or Recovery Key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reset Surface Pro without Password or Recovery Key: I have tried several times to reset my surface through troubleshooting and downloading through the cloud and local but neither option works. I receive an error stating unable to download. I am trying to sign in with no domain....
  4. Reset Surface Pro without Password or Recovery Key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. reset win10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    reset win10: Tôi đã có vấn đề cài đặt lại Windows 10, tôi đã cố gắng tải về các cửa sổ cập nhật trợ lý https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/reset-win10/c646ec0a-2be0-4bf1-8bb4-25fad7349134
  6. win10 pro

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    win10 pro: I have purchased a copy of win10 pro not used it as yet how can i tell if its genuine, I wanted to upgrade from home to get bitlocker as i use the machine for work. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win10-pro/c6dc4d99-3bfb-4081-9ae9-db6dfffa75bf
  7. Win10 Pro

Win10 Pro: Is Win10 Pro a one time fee ? Also is multilanguage included https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win10-pro/0a679549-b3e7-48ec-bddb-4617945f00fe
  8. I hate Win10 too much.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    I hate Win10 too much.: Whenever i try to close my pc it shows this notification ''if you shut down now and any other people using this PC could lose unsaved work''. I HATE THIS THING, COZ I JUST UPDATED MY PC FROM WIN 7 PRO TO WIN 10 PRO... I tried to search on yt and in this community also...
  9. Win10 Pro

Win10 Pro: Hi, I bought a Win10 upgrade license on my old laptop. At the time I had a lot of issues upgrading the OEM Win10 Home as the upgrade purchase didn;t come with a product key. After lots of phone calls with MS they eventually provided me with a product key and the laptop was...
  10. Download Win10 Pro now, install (much) later?

Download Win10 Pro now, install (much) later?: Hello All I'm currently running Win7 Pro 64-Bit and was wondering if it's possible to download Win10 Pro to install on a Bootable Stick Drive, and then do a clean install on my current system later? I'm currently very happy with Win7 and have no intention of...