Windows 10: Move Location of Videos Folder in Windows 10

Discus and support Move Location of Videos Folder in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Move Location of Videos Folder in Windows 10 How to Move Your Videos Folder Location in Windows 10 By default, Windows stores your... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by swarfega, Jan 14, 2017.

1. swarfega Win User

Move Location of Videos Folder in Windows 10

How to: Move Location of Videos Folder in Windows 10

How to Move Your Videos Folder Location in Windows 10

By default, Windows stores your personal Videos folder in your account's %UserProfile% folder (ex: "C:\Users\Brink").

You can change where files in this Videos folder are stored to another place on the hard drive, another drive, or another computer on the network.

This tutorial will show you how to move the default location of your Videos folder to where you want in Windows 10.

It is highly recommended to create a system image backup first to make it easy to undo if you were to make a mistake in the steps below.

Here's How:

1 If you haven't already, you will need to create a new folder named Videos at the location (ex: "E:" ) you want to move your personal Videos folder to. (see screenshot below)

Move Location of Videos Folder in Windows 10 [​IMG]

2 Open This PC in File Explorer (Win+E), right click on your Videos folder, and click/tap on Properties. (see screenshot below)

If you don't see the Videos folder in This PC, then you can also click/tap on the icon in the address bar of File Explorer, type shell:My Video into the address bar, and press Enter to open your Videos folder no matter where it may be located.

You can then right click or press and hold on an empty area in your Videos folder, and click/tap on Properties.

3 Click/tap on the Location tab, and click/tap on the Move button. (see screenshot below)

4 Browse to and select the Videos folder at the location (ex: "E:\Videos" ) from step 1, and click/tap on Select Folder. (see screenshot below)

5 Click/tap on OK to apply. (see screenshot below)

6 Click/tap on Yes to move all the files from the old location to the new location. (see screenshot below)

7 Your personal Videos folder and all of its contents will now be moved to the new location (ex: "E:\Videos" ). (see screenshot below)

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

swarfega, Jan 14, 2017
  2. Shawn Brink, Jan 14, 2017
  3. Unable to restore defaults of My Videos folder in Windows 10

Try both solutions given
    here
    to restore Videos to its default location. Reboot. Create a folder called Videos in D: and then right-click the original Videos > Properties > Location tab > Move button to select D:\Videos as the new location.

RobertJWin, Jan 14, 2017
  4. D4ni3l Win User

hi,

maybe, these other possibilities should be mentioned

D4ni3l, Jan 15, 2017
  5. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Thank you Daniel. *Smile

I would have, but the method used below doesn't actually move the folder's location like it does in the tutorial in the first post above. After changing the storage save location, the folder in This PC and %UserProfile% still shows it located in the default location.

Storage Save Locations - Change in Windows 10

Brink, Jan 15, 2017
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hey mate, *Smile

Yeah, I decided to do a separate tutorial for each folder instead of lumping them together. This way they can each have very specific steps for that folder to avoid any possible confusion considering that it wouldn't be good to mess up the folder.

Brink, Jan 15, 2017
  7. D4ni3l Win User
    Hi Brink, I was expecting I was missing something useful on "Storage Save Locations" features
    It looks not finished. Wait next Microsoft release... *Cool

D4ni3l, Jan 15, 2017
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

It effectively does the same thing, but just using another method. *Smile

Brink, Jan 15, 2017
  9. dasquared Win User
    Shawn (or others) -
    Will a "Smart" device then look for videos (or music, etc) automatically in this new folder? I am playing with ripping my music, dvds, etc to my PC, but only have room on an added drive, and would want to have my Xbox One, 2 Smart Blu Ray players, and so on be able to stream from the new folder (the default is on a smaller SSD that would not have room for all the media)...I am afraid to try the above for I may not be able to reset it if it does not work...

dasquared, Mar 27, 2018
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello dasquared, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

No worries, you will always be able to move the folder back if it doesn't work the way you wanted.

Brink, Mar 27, 2018
  11. Another great tutorial! I have been doing this since Windows 7. My "data" drive has been home to my docs, pics, etc since then. I think I got the trick from the Windows 7 forums here if that was you guys *Biggrin

Access Denied, Mar 27, 2018
  12. lx07 Win User
    Alternatively you can go to C:\Users\<your name> and select some or all of the folders (Video, Documents, Music etc). Cut and paste them onto another drive and it automatically updates the contents of the location box as shown in the tutorial above.

Don't try to move hidden folders (AppData for example) like this though.

13. dasquared Win User

Pertaining to my earlier post, moving and/or reassigning my folder to my data drive did not work for my "smart" device. I was able to move it back with no issues. I have a bunch more questions on this - namely, aside from why it does not work, is when my smart device currently finds the default folder, it also "finds" or lists a lot of other folders I do not have there, or anywhere else for that matter - folders named "songs" and such, about 5 extra folders...thoughts?

Access Denied, please see my above and let me know if you have streamed or used smart devices to access media files as you describe, or just for other devices to access docs, etc (which I have done already)...it seems the "smart" devices may still be too dumb *Wink

dasquared, Apr 1, 2018
  14. Brink
    Brink New Member
    dasquared,

If you like, a NAS drive something like below would be a great option to use to store your files on to be able to access from any device on your network. You can select a size that best meets your needs.

*Arrow https://www.amazon.com/Cloud-Home-Pe...dp/B076D1QDP2/

Brink, Apr 1, 2018
  15. dasquared Win User
    I'm actually using a Seagate drive now that can be NAS or act as an extra drive. I have it set up on my computer right now as it's easier to backup my movies and music with it as is - but may have to use it as an NAS instead if i can't get this to work the way I would prefer...I just have a feeling I'm missing something right now...

dasquared, Apr 1, 2018
Thema:

1. Move Location of Videos Folder in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Move Location Videos

2. Can't move folder location

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't move folder location: Hi, I recently sync with Onedrive. When I noticed that all my onedrive folders mixed with my local documents on my PC, I unlinked it and uninstalled it. >However, my documents folder is now C:\Users\User\OneDrive\Documents. >I clicked on restore default button which is the...
  3. Move Location of Music Folder in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Move Location of Music Folder in Windows 10: How to: Move Location of Music Folder in Windows 10 How to Move Your Music Folder Location in Windows 10 By default, Windows stores your personal Music folder in your account's %UserProfile% folder (ex: "C:\Users\Brink"). You can change where files in this Music...
  4. Move Location of Pictures Folder in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Move Location of Pictures Folder in Windows 10: How to: Move Location of Pictures Folder in Windows 10 How to Move Your Pictures Folder Location in Windows 10 By default, Windows stores your personal Pictures folder in your account's %UserProfile% folder (ex: "C:\Users\Brink"). You can change where files in this...
  5. Documents Folder - Move Location in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Documents Folder - Move Location in Windows 10: How to: Move Location of Documents Folder in Windows 10 How to Move Your Documents Folder Location in Windows 10 By default, Windows stores your personal Documents folder in your account's %UserProfile% folder (ex: "C:\Users\Brink"). You can change where files in...
  6. Move Location of Desktop Folder in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Move Location of Desktop Folder in Windows 10: How to: Move Location of Desktop Folder in Windows 10 How to Move Your Desktop Folder Location in Windows 10 The desktop is the main screen area that you see after you turn on your PC and sign in to Windows. Like the top of an actual desk, it serves as a surface for...
  7. Move Location of Downloads Folder in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Move Location of Downloads Folder in Windows 10: How to: Move Location of Downloads Folder in Windows 10 How to Move Your Downloads Folder Location in Windows 10 By default, Windows stores your personal Downloads folder in your account's %UserProfile% folder (ex: "C:\Users\Brink"). In addition, most web browsers...
  8. Move Location of Favorites Folder in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Move Location of Favorites Folder in Windows 10: How to: Move Location of Favorites Folder in Windows 10 How to Move Your Favorites Folder Location in Windows 10 Your favorites from Internet Explorer are saved into your Favorites folder. By default, Windows stores your personal Favorites folder in your account's...
  9. Move Location of Searches Folder in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Move Location of Searches Folder in Windows 10: How to: Move Location of Searches Folder in Windows 10 How to Move Your Searches Folder Location in Windows 10 If you regularly search for certain files in Windows, then you could save the search criteria as a Saved Search to be able to quickly access and perform your...
  10. Move Users Folder Location in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Move Users Folder Location in Windows 10: How to: Move Users Folder Location in Windows 10 How to Move Users Folder to another Location in Windows 10 [img] Information The method described in this tutorial allows relocating Windows 10 main profile folder Users including all present and future user profiles...