Windows 10: Restore Default Location of Game DVR Captures Folder in Windows 10

Discus and support Restore Default Location of Game DVR Captures Folder in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Restore Default Location of Game DVR Captures Folder in Windows 10 How to Restore Default Location of Game DVR Captures Folder in Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Leyn, Apr 22, 2018.

1. Leyn Win User

Restore Default Location of Game DVR Captures Folder in Windows 10

How to: Restore Default Location of Game DVR Captures Folder in Windows 10

How to Restore Default Location of Game DVR Captures Folder in Windows 10

The Game bar is a Xbox app Game DVR feature that lets you record and share game clips and screenshots in Windows 10. However, you can also use the Game bar to record, take screenshots, and broadcast any app and game in Windows 10.

Recorded videos are saved as a .mp4 file, and screenshots are saved as a .png file. Each video and screenshot is identified with the games title and metadata that shows when the image was captured.

By default, the captures are saved to your C:\Users\<username>\Videos folder, in a folder called Captures. If you like, you can move the Captures folder to another location if you don't want them saved to your C: drive.

This tutorial will show you how to restore the default location of the Xbox Game DVR Captures folder for your account in Windows 10.

Here's How:

1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the Gaming icon.

2. Click/tap on Game DVR on the left side, and click/tap on the Open folder button on the right side to open your Captures folder at its current location. (see screenshot below)

Restore Default Location of Game DVR Captures Folder in Windows 10 [​IMG]

*note If you like, you could also open the Xbox app, click/tap on the Settings (gear) button on the left menu, click/tap on the Game DVR tab, and click/tap on the Open folder link under Saving captures to open your Captures folder at its current location.

3. Right click or press and hold on an empty space in your Captures folder, and click/tap on Properties. (see screenshot below)

4. Click/tap on the Location tab, and click/tap on the Restore Default button. (see screenshot below)

5. Click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

6. If the "Captures" folder does not exist, then click/tap on Yes to create it. (see screenshot below)

7. Click/tap on Yes to move all files from the old location to the new location. (see screenshot below)

8. After a brief moment, your Captures folder will be restored to its default location (ex: "C:\Users\Brink\Videos\Captures").

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

2. Captures folder gone and I can't record games

Thanks for the response. Let's further isolate this concern, by trying to restore Game DVR Captures folder location settings.

How to Restore Default Location of Game DVR Captures Folder in Windows 10

• Open Settings, and click/tap on the Gaming icon.
    • Click on Game DVR on the left side, and click/tap on the Open folder button on the right side to open your Captures folder at its current location.

Note: If you want, you could also open the Xbox app, click/tap on the Settings (gear) button on the left menu, click/tap on the Game DVR tab, and click/tap on the Open folder link under Saving captures to open your Captures folder at its current location.
    • Right click or press and hold on an empty space in your Captures folder, and click/tap on Properties.
    • Click/tap on the Location tab, and click/tap on the Restore Default button.
    • Click/tap on OK.
    • If the "Captures" folder does not exist, then click/tap on Yes to create it.
    • Click/tap on Yes to move all files from the old location to the new location.
    • After a brief moment, your Captures folder will be restored to its default location.

Let us know how it goes.

Wilfred Mac, Apr 22, 2018
  3. Changed location of captured video

Hi,

If you can no longer see the location option on the capture folder, you may restore your Game DVR Captures folder location settings. After restoring the game DVR Captures folder location settings, then you can change your Game DVR Captures folder location
    again. To do this, you may follow the steps below:

How to restore Game DVR Captures folder location settings

• Open File Explorer.
    • Browse to the Captures folder location.
    • Right-click the Captures folder and select Properties.
    • Click the Location tab.
    • Click the Restore Defaults button.
    • Click Apply.
    • Click Yes to recreate the folder in the old location.
    • Click Yes to move the content of the Captures folder to the old location, and wait a few moments.
    • Click OK.

Note: After you've completed the steps, the Captures folder will return with all its content to its default location: C:\Users\%username%\Videos\Captures.

After performing the steps above, try to change the location of your captured video.

Kindly update us with the results.

If you think this was helpful, do not hesitate to "mark it as answer" to help those who are facing the same problem.

Wilfred Mac, Apr 22, 2018
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello Leyn, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

When you take a screenshot using the Game DVR (Win+G), where does it show it being saved at instead?

Brink, Apr 22, 2018
Thema:

1. Restore Default Location of Game DVR Captures Folder in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Restore Default Location

2. How do I restore Default Gamebar Capture location?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I restore Default Gamebar Capture location?: I deleted the captures file where my screen recordings used to be stored. Now the recordings are being saved in C:\Users\sara3\AppData\Local\Temp along with other folders and random DAT files and text documents. It's very inconvenient. I tried to follow this method:Press...
  3. Audio in Game DVR Captures

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Audio in Game DVR Captures: When I use the "Capture last 30 seconds" button in the game DVR. It doesn't capture my voice but it captures my friend's. Is there a way to capture with my voice and my friend's. If so, please reply. Thanks. submitted by /u/NebrasOnReddit [link] [comments]...
  4. Game DVR Capture folder moved to Temp folder

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Game DVR Capture folder moved to Temp folder: [ATTACH] My xbox game capture is in my temp folder and I want to move it, but cannot. Can anyone help me with this issue. https://preview.redd.it/lfhtowhptcn41.png?width=473&format=png&auto=webp&s=bb2269d1abc92733b73af6bde5e3f6a5ee319a1c submitted by /u/realjrjelly...
  5. Restore Default Gamebar Capture location

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Restore Default Gamebar Capture location: I accidentally deleted the captures folder, and it changed the save location to D:\Videos. This is very annoying as I take many screenshots and clips. Is there anyway to change the save location of captures back to the captures folder?[ATTACH]...
  6. Game dvr capture folder moved to appdata

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Game dvr capture folder moved to appdata: Hello i am having a very annoying issue where for some odd reason windows decided to end its relationship with the game dvr capture folder and is saving to this path "C:\Users\monst\AppData\Local\Temp" which renders the normal method of changing the folder unavailable. is...
  7. Restoring Default User Folder Locations

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Restoring Default User Folder Locations: Hello. A couple weeks ago I did a fresh install of Windows and all my folders are in particular locations across multiple drives. Now, while I was configuring the location of my Downloads folder while formatting my backup/downloads HDD (Seagate BarraCuda), I had temporarily...
  8. Windows Game DVR Location Change?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Game DVR Location Change?: Hello, I am currently using the built in Windows Game DVR, and I want to change the default save location. I have read other threads, but they don't help me at all. I do not have an account with Xbox and I don't plan on getting one. Is there anyway I can do this? I would...
  9. Move Location of Game DVR Captures Folder in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Move Location of Game DVR Captures Folder in Windows 10: How to: Move Location of Game DVR Captures Folder in Windows 10 How to Move Location of Game DVR Captures Folder in Windows 10 The Game bar is a Xbox app Game DVR feature that lets you record and share game clips and screenshots in Windows 10. However, you can also use...
  10. Restore Default Location of Personal Folders in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Restore Default Location of Personal Folders in Windows 10: How to: Restore Default Location of Personal Folders in Windows 10 How to Restore Default Location of Your Personal Folders in Windows 10 You can change the location of the folders in your personal folder (such as Documents and Pictures) by redirecting them. For example,...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Captures saving to Temp folder

2. reset windows captures folder

3. gamebar default location is appdata local

4. restore windows game bar captures folder,
  5. windows 10 restore captures folder,
  6. windows 10 game dvr changed to temp folder,
  7. restoring default captures folder location,
  8. game dvr windows 10 saving in temp folder,
  9. windows 10 game captures folder temp,
  10. game dvr saving captures to appdata\local\temp