Windows 10: Set, Change, or Clear Default Location for Windows 10 PC

Discus and support Set, Change, or Clear Default Location for Windows 10 PC in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Set, Change, or Clear Default Location for Windows 10 PC How to Set, Change, or Clear Default Location for Windows 10 PC Some apps need... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Brink Win User

Set, Change, or Clear Default Location for Windows 10 PC

How to: Set, Change, or Clear Default Location for Windows 10 PC

How to Set, Change, or Clear Default Location for Windows 10 PC

Some apps need to know when youre in a specific location to work correctly. For instance, if youve asked an app to remind you to buy bread when youre in the grocery store, the app will need to know when youre in the store. To give you maps to get you where youre going, or to show you lists of shops or restaurants near you, many apps and services request location information from your device. Thats what the Windows 10 location service does: tells your apps and services where you are or where youve been, so that you can get info more relevant to you.

You can set a default location for your device that Windows, apps, and services can then use when a more exact location cant be detected using GPS or other methods.

See also: Windows 10 location service and privacy | Microsoft Support

This tutorial will show you how set, change, or clear the default location of your Windows 10 device for your account that Windows, apps, and services can use when a more exact location cannot be detected.

CONTENTS:

OPTION ONE [/i] To Set Default Location for Windows 10 PC
    1. Do step 2 (Maps) or step 3 (Settings) below for how you want to set your default location.

2. To Set Default Location from Maps app
    A) Open the Maps app.

B) Click/tap on the See more (3 dots) button at the top right in Maps, and click/tap on Settings. (see screenshot below)

Set, Change, or Clear Default Location for Windows 10 PC [​IMG]

C) Click/tap on the Change default location button under Default location, and go to step 4. (see screenshot below)

3. To Set Default Location from Settings
    A) Open Settings, and click/tap on the Privacy icon.

B) Click/tap on Location on the left side in Settings, and click/tap on the Set default button under Default location on the right side, and go to step 4. (see screenshot below)

4. Click/tap on Set default location. (see screenshot below)

5. Do step 6 (enter) or step 3 (choose) below for how you want to set your default location.

6. To Enter Default Location
    A) Start typing your location (ex: address), select the location if/when available in the drop menu, and go to step 8. (see screenshot below)

7. To Choose Default Location on Map
    A) Click/tap on the Enter your location field, and click/tap on Choose location in the drop menu. (see screenshot below)

B) Drag the target over the location you want on the map until you see the correct location in the Choose location dialog box. (see screenshot below)

C) Click/tap on Set when you have the correct location selected, and go to step 8.

8. You can now close Settings and/or the Maps app if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Change Default Location for Windows 10 PC
    1. Do step 2 (Maps) or step 3 (Settings) below for how you want to change your default location.

2. To Change Default Location from Maps app
    A) Open the Maps app.

B) Click/tap on the See more (3 dots) button at the top right in Maps, and click/tap on Settings. (see screenshot below)

C) Click/tap on the Change default location button under Default location, and go to step 4. (see screenshot below)

3. To Change Default Location from Settings

B) Click/tap on Location on the left side in Settings, and click/tap on the Set default button under Default location on the right side, and go to step 4. (see screenshot below)

4. Click/tap on Change. (see screenshot below)

5. Do step 6 (enter) or step 3 (choose) below for how you want to change your default location.

6. To Enter Default Location
    A) Start typing your location (ex: address), select the location if/when available in the drop menu, and go to step 8. (see screenshot below)

7. To Choose Default Location on Map
    A) Click/tap on the Enter your location field, and click/tap on Choose location in the drop menu. (see screenshot below)

B) Drag the target over the location you want on the map until you see the correct location in the Choose location dialog box. (see screenshot below)

C) Click/tap on Set when you have the correct location selected, and go to step 8.

8. You can now close Settings and/or the Maps app if you like.

OPTION THREE [/i] To Clear Default Location for Windows 10 PC
    1. Do step 2 (Maps) or step 3 (Settings) below for how you want to clear (remove) your default location.

2. To Clear Default Location from Maps app
    A) Open the Maps app.

3. To Clear Default Location from Settings

4. Click/tap on Clear location. (see screenshot below)

5. You can now close Settings and/or the Maps app if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Jul 11, 2018

2. Can I Change My Default Desktop Location??

Hello Lucas,

You may change the default location for the desktop and library folders on Windows 10.

To change the default location of the folders, please follow these steps:

• Click Start, type This PC and press
      Enter
    • Right-click the Desktop folder and select Properties.
    • Go to Location tab and click Move.
    • Find the new location for the Desktop folder and click
      Select
      Folder.
    • Click OK to finish.

The steps must be done on each of the library folders.

Regards.

Devlin Sco, Oct 27, 2019
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Set, Change, or Clear Default Location for Windows 10 PC

Changing the default storage designation for the Microsoft Windows Store and various apps.

Hi Isaac,

The default storage location for the Windows store and apps is in system location where Windows is stored (This PC-> C drive), if you want to change the default location of the apps then I suggest you to follow the below steps to change the settings
    and check if it helps.

• Open Settings and click on the System icon.
    • Click on Storage on the left side, on the right side under
      Save locations, select the drive to where you want your
      documents
      , music, pictures, and/or
      videos
      to be saved to by default.
    • Click/tap on Apply.

The above settings option is available only from the Windows version (10586), I suggest you to check in which version of Windows build in installed on your computer.

Please get back to us with an update on this issue, we will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you

Karthicka_R, Oct 27, 2019
  5. How can I change a location in Maps on Windows 10?

Hello Peter,

I suggest you to follow the steps below to know how to remove the location that you already saved and verify the result.

• Go to Start Menu.

• Select Settings
      and click on Privacy.

• Select Location and clear the Location History.

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance with Windows, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Anju Thekkethil, Oct 27, 2019
  6. How can I set EDGE to by default download to D:\Downloads

Hi:

I do not use Edge, but here is one suggested method (it dates from Aug 2015, but I presume the steps are still valid):

How to change the default Microsoft Edge download location - gHacks Tech News

EDIT: And here is a tutorial right here in tenforums.com:
    Microsoft Edge Downloads Folder - Change in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

HTH,
    MM

MoxieMomma, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

Set, Change, or Clear Default Location for Windows 10 PC

1. Set, Change, or Clear Default Location for Windows 10 PC - Similar Threads - Set Change Clear

2. Cannot change default location in Window 11 Settings/Privacy & Security/Location

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot change default location in Window 11 Settings/Privacy & Security/Location: My computer suddenly says my "location has changed" and so my time zone has changed to Pacific even though I'm in Eastern time zone. I tried to change my "default location" in settings but that button is grayed out and I cannot click on it. Help!...
  3. Cannot change default location in Window 11 Settings/Privacy & Security/Location

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot change default location in Window 11 Settings/Privacy & Security/Location: My computer suddenly says my "location has changed" and so my time zone has changed to Pacific even though I'm in Eastern time zone. I tried to change my "default location" in settings but that button is grayed out and I cannot click on it. Help!...
  4. cannot change my default saving location to "this PC" under settings < storage < change...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    cannot change my default saving location to "this PC" under settings < storage < change...: hi Team , i have the following issue with windows 10 cannot change my default saving location to "this PC" under settings < storage < change where the new content is saved . it just lists "C drive" and not "this PC". everything i try to save , it saves under skydrive , i...
  5. Changing Default Save Location

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Changing Default Save Location: Just upgraded SSD and installed fresh version of Windows 10 version 1909. My SSD is the C: drive. Prior to the SSD upgrade, files such as Documents, Downloads, Music and Pictures were saved to my D: Hard Drive. Example: D: >Gagnon >Documents In other words my D:...
  6. Windows 10 1803 changes default settings on PC

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 1803 changes default settings on PC: Hi. I just discovered that my keyboard had switched to English (US) instead of English (UK)> I assume this happened after installing 1803 recently. Other settings appear to have been altered, also. After changing the settings, I kept getting messages that "Something has...
  7. Clear Location History on Windows 10 PC

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Clear Location History on Windows 10 PC: How to: Clear Location History on Windows 10 PC How to Clear Your Location History on Windows 10 PC Some apps need to know when youre in a specific location to work correctly. For instance, if youve asked an app to remind you to buy bread when youre in the grocery...
  8. Setting default save location?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Setting default save location?: I have a friend who is asking me for some help with her computer. It's a fairly basic issue but I'm afraid I don't know the answer so I thought I'd try here. Some of her programs are saving to OneDrive, otherwise known as The Cloud. She strongly prefers to save to her own...
  9. Setting default locations for libraries

in Windows 10 Support
    Setting default locations for libraries: Hi, I have 3 drives total, and have tried to set the default locations of all the libraries (documents, pictures etc) to a drive that is not the OS one. These are my drives: [img] I want the libraries on (G:) instead of (C:). [img] I went onto...
  10. Change PC Settings Based on Location

in Windows 10 Support
    Change PC Settings Based on Location: I'm curious if it is possible to change Windows settings based on my laptop's location. What I would like is a few settings (GPOs) to change based on whether I am at home vs anywhere else. I'm guessing that detecting the wireless/wired network I'm connected to, or looking...