Windows 10: Decrypt Files and Folders with EFS in Windows 10

Discus and support Decrypt Files and Folders with EFS in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Decrypt Files and Folders with EFS in Windows 10 How to Decrypt Files and Folders Encrypted with EFS in Windows 10 The Encrypting File... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Yasak Hayat, Jun 22, 2017.

1. Decrypt Files and Folders with EFS in Windows 10

How to: Decrypt Files and Folders with EFS in Windows 10

How to Decrypt Files and Folders Encrypted with EFS in Windows 10

The Encrypting File System (EFS) is the built-in encryption tool in Windows used to encrypt files and folders on NTFS drives to protect them from unwanted access. EFS enables transparent encryption and decryption of files for your user account by using advanced, standard cryptographic algorithms. Any individual or app that doesn't possess the appropriate file encryption key cannot open any encrypted files and folders. Encryption is the strongest protection that Windows provides to help you keep your individual files and folders secure.

This tutorial will show you how to decrypt your files and folders editions.

*note If you get an unexpected error message like below while trying to decrypt a file or folder, it means that you will need to backed up for the file or folder before you will be able to decrypt it.

Decrypt Files and Folders with EFS in Windows 10 [​IMG]

CONTENTS:

OPTION ONE [/i] To Decrypt File or Folder in Context Menu

*note If you decrypt a file using this option, only the file will be decrypted.

If you decrypt a folder using this option, the folder, subfolders and files will be decrypted.
    1. Right click or press and hold on a file or folder you want to decrypt, click/tap on File ownership, and click/tap on Personal. (see screenshot below)

OPTION TWO [/i] To Decrypt Folder in Advanced Attributes
    1. Right click or press and hold on a folder you want to decrypt, and click/tap on Properties.

2. In the General tab, click/tap on the Advanced button. (see screenshot below)

3. Uncheck the Encrypt contents to secure data box, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

4. Click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

5. Select (dot) to either Apply changes to this folder only or Apply changes to this folder, subfolders and files for what you want, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

OPTION THREE [/i] To Decrypt File in Advanced Attributes
    1. Right click or press and hold on a file you want to decrypt, and click/tap on Properties.

2. In the General tab, click/tap on the Advanced button. (see screenshot below)

3. Check the Encrypt contents to secure data box, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

4. Click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

OPTION FOUR [/i] To Decrypt Folder in Command Prompt

*note To see more usage options for the Cipher command, see: Cipher - Microsoft TechNet
    1. Open a command prompt.

2. Enter the command you want to use below into the command prompt, and press Enter. (see screenshots below)
    (Apply changes to this folder only)
    *Arrow cipher /d "full path of folder"

OR

(Apply changes to this folder, subfolders and files)
    *Arrow cipher /d /s:"full path of folder"

*note Substitute full path of folder in the commands above with the actual full path of the folder you want to decrypt.

3. When finished, you can close the command prompt if you like.

OPTION FIVE [/i] To Decrypt File in Command Prompt

*note To see more usage options for the Cipher command, see: Cipher - Microsoft TechNet
    1. Open a command prompt.

2. Enter the command below into the command prompt, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow cipher /d "full path of file with extension"

*note Substitute full path of file with extension in the command above with the actual full path of the file you want to decrypt.

3. When finished, you can close the command prompt if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Yasak Hayat, Jun 22, 2017
  2. 293a3c4d-30fd-4eea-9279-6d8867de5823, Jun 22, 2017
  3. Bzoow Win User
    Cannot decrypt folders

I have the same issue and there appears to be a number of other comments about this with no answer as far as i can see. I guess EFS is not widely used but it certainly seems to be a bug in Windows 10. I have used EFS for some time under Windows 7 without
    issue. for reference I am using a Dell XPS15, not sure if that's relevant.

I have found a way to decrypt the folder - if you right click the folder there is an item in the context menu "File ownership", this only appears on green encrypted folders. Clicking this and then the "personal" item that appears will decrypt the folder
    and all files within - you don't get an option to just decrypt the folder like using the regular method but this is a minor issue. Hope it helps someone!

Bzoow, Jun 22, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Decrypt Files and Folders with EFS in Windows 10

Hello Yasak, *Smile

The "File ownership" context menu would only be available if the file has already been encrypted with EFS.

Brink, Jun 22, 2017
  5. Yasak Hayat, Jun 22, 2017
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You may be able to use it in Windows 10 as well if you like, but I haven't tested it yet in W10.

Brink, Jun 22, 2017
  7. Sory but it's not working on Windows 10.
    When merge regedit file nothing happen. Doesn't appear Decrypt/Encrypt option?

Edit: Tried (W10)14393.1358 and 15063.413
    (Also tried W7 and W8.1 and it's working)

Yasak Hayat, Jun 23, 2017
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

I'll add to my list then to see what I can do for it. I'll post back when it's ready if able. *Smile

Brink, Jun 23, 2017
  9. TairikuOkami, Nov 30, 2017
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You could try one of those 3rd party EFS data recovery programs from a Google search, but you may not be able to recover the files without the key.

Brink, Apr 4, 2018
  11. I too face the same problem when I formated my c drive and installed new copy of window 10 ,it made me un assessable some of my files which I had encrypted earlier
    I tried all of these 4 option but none of them worked.

rajlaxmanphysio, Apr 10, 2018
  12. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Apr 10, 2018
  13. Decrypt Files and Folders with EFS in Windows 10

Unfortunately I did same mistake, forgot to save key.
    Is there any other way to recover my data ,as they are very important for me.
    Can I try Linux or dos boot to recover them

14. I recovered window backup of previous version using recuva software, although there I found those files in backup zip folder and able to recover them but when I tried to play them ,it shows error message 0xc00d36c4 ,

Thema:

1. Decrypt Files and Folders with EFS in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Decrypt Files Folders

2. Decrypting EFS encrypted USB Drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Decrypting EFS encrypted USB Drive: Dear All,Greetings of the day!I have encrypted a usb drive with EFS, then formatted the PC and reinstalled windows, now when I enter the USB I cannot decrypt its content because I did not backup the certificate, is it possible to recover the certificate using recovery...
  3. EFS decryption

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    EFS decryption: I have a Lenovo laptop that required a new motherboard. After Lenovo installed the replacement motherboard, they advised that the laptop needed to be re-imaged. in advance of the reimaging, I saved my important folders to an external ssd. However, when I copied them back to...
  4. EFS decryption

in Windows 10 Gaming
    EFS decryption: I have a Lenovo laptop that required a new motherboard. After Lenovo installed the replacement motherboard, they advised that the laptop needed to be re-imaged. in advance of the reimaging, I saved my important folders to an external ssd. However, when I copied them back to...
  5. EFS decryption

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Decrypt EFS Files in New Windows 10 System

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Decrypt EFS Files in New Windows 10 System: Hello Everybody, I know this is a long shot but it is my final attempt. I'll try to be brief: I previously ran my Windows 10 on a laptop with HDD. During that time, I encrypted some files using EFS. Then, I decided to switch over to a SSD. I backed up all my files, then took...
  7. Unable to decrypt files encrpted by EFS

Unable to decrypt files encrpted by EFS: hi am facing the problem unable to apply attributes/ unable to decrypt files error 0x80071771:specified file couldn't be decrypted please help in solving this issue....
  8. Encryption File System EFS decryption issue

Encryption File System EFS decryption issue: Hello everyone, I have a huge problem and i need help. Windows encrypted my files with EFS and bit locker for the hard drive. I had to restore my computer after i noticed malicious program was running and causing problems. I was unable to restore from a known good point so...
  9. How to decrypt EFS encrypted Files and Folders in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to decrypt EFS encrypted Files and Folders in Windows 10: [ATTACH] The EFS or Encrypting File System is a component of the legendary NTFS (New Technology File System). It is available on Windows 2000, Windows XP Professional (Not Home Basic), Windows Server 2003 and newer operating system iterations from Microsoft. It [...] This...
  10. Encrypt Files and Folders with EFS in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Encrypt Files and Folders with EFS in Windows 10: How to: Encrypt Files and Folders with EFS in Windows 10 How to Encrypt Files and Folders with Encrypting File System (EFS) in Windows 10 [img] Information The Encrypting File System (EFS) is the built-in encryption tool in Windows used to encrypt files and folders on...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Windows 10 EFS cannot decrypt top level folder

2. windows 10 cant decrypt xp efs