Windows 10: Decrypt Files and Folders with EFS in Windows 10

Discus and support Decrypt Files and Folders with EFS in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; For option one no download link? "File ownership/Personal" not a built in context menu element isn't it? 77174 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Yasak Hayat, Jun 22, 2017.

1. Decrypt Files and Folders with EFS in Windows 10

For option one no download link?
    "File ownership/Personal" not a built in context menu element isn't it?

:)

Yasak Hayat, Jun 22, 2017
  2. 293a3c4d-30fd-4eea-9279-6d8867de5823, Jun 22, 2017
  3. Bzoow Win User
    Cannot decrypt folders

I have the same issue and there appears to be a number of other comments about this with no answer as far as i can see. I guess EFS is not widely used but it certainly seems to be a bug in Windows 10. I have used EFS for some time under Windows 7 without
    issue. for reference I am using a Dell XPS15, not sure if that's relevant.

I have found a way to decrypt the folder - if you right click the folder there is an item in the context menu "File ownership", this only appears on green encrypted folders. Clicking this and then the "personal" item that appears will decrypt the folder
    and all files within - you don't get an option to just decrypt the folder like using the regular method but this is a minor issue. Hope it helps someone!

Bzoow, Jun 22, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Decrypt Files and Folders with EFS in Windows 10

Hello Yasak, *Smile

The "File ownership" context menu would only be available if the file has already been encrypted with EFS.

Brink, Jun 22, 2017
  5. Yasak Hayat, Jun 22, 2017
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You may be able to use it in Windows 10 as well if you like, but I haven't tested it yet in W10.

Brink, Jun 22, 2017
  7. Sory but it's not working on Windows 10.
    When merge regedit file nothing happen. Doesn't appear Decrypt/Encrypt option?

Edit: Tried (W10)14393.1358 and 15063.413
    (Also tried W7 and W8.1 and it's working)

Yasak Hayat, Jun 23, 2017
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

I'll add to my list then to see what I can do for it. I'll post back when it's ready if able. *Smile

Brink, Jun 23, 2017
  9. TairikuOkami, Nov 30, 2017
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You could try one of those 3rd party EFS data recovery programs from a Google search, but you may not be able to recover the files without the key.

Brink, Apr 4, 2018
  11. I too face the same problem when I formated my c drive and installed new copy of window 10 ,it made me un assessable some of my files which I had encrypted earlier
    I tried all of these 4 option but none of them worked.

rajlaxmanphysio, Apr 10, 2018
  12. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Apr 10, 2018
  13. Decrypt Files and Folders with EFS in Windows 10

Unfortunately I did same mistake, forgot to save key.
    Is there any other way to recover my data ,as they are very important for me.
    Can I try Linux or dos boot to recover them

14. I recovered window backup of previous version using recuva software, although there I found those files in backup zip folder and able to recover them but when I tried to play them ,it shows error message 0xc00d36c4 ,

Thema:

1. Decrypt Files and Folders with EFS in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Decrypt Files Folders

2. Decrypting files after reinstalling windows 10.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Decrypting files after reinstalling windows 10.: I encrypted a lot of files some time ago. It became necessary for me to reinstall Windows 10. The "user" that encrypted the files disappeared after the reinstall and, after creating another login, I can't decrypt my files. I go to the Properties of any of these files &...
  3. How to decrypt EFS encrypted Files and Folders in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to decrypt EFS encrypted Files and Folders in Windows 10: [ATTACH] The EFS or Encrypting File System is a component of the legendary NTFS (New Technology File System). It is available on Windows 2000, Windows XP Professional (Not Home Basic), Windows Server 2003 and newer operating system iterations from Microsoft. It [...] This...
  4. How to encrypt files with EFS Encryption on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to encrypt files with EFS Encryption on Windows 10: [ATTACH] EFS Encryption is present in Windows OS out of the box. It is shipped together with BitLocker encryption that is also shipped out of the box. Though they work in the same manner, the main difference between the two is [...] This post How to encrypt files with EFS...
  5. Windows Effing 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Effing 10: Ok, so I initially installed Windows 7 x64 a couple of years ago in my then new comp and had been perfectly happy with it; but I got the bright idea of dual booting Windows 10 to try it out. So I downloaded Win 10 media creation files onto my flash drive, only when I went to...
  6. Problem while decryption of Files

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Problem while decryption of Files: Hi there, I decrypted a few of the folders and files while in my last windows. But a few weeks earlier I reinstalled my Windows and now when I tried to decrypt my files I was unable to access them. Some error 80070771 keeps on prompting. Can anyone help me out so I may able...
  7. DECRYPT

DECRYPT: HOW TO REPAIR " ACCESS DENIED" TO DECRYPT FILE? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-security/decrypt/4cfd3028-8489-4270-a23b-56f777c36aed"
  8. how to turn OFF EFS - Encrypting File System for files e folder

how to turn OFF EFS - Encrypting File System for files e folder: hello guys, i need some help here i tryed these steps 1- with a new text file->proprieties->advanced->turn on crittography 2- now the file icon have a lock icon. 3- if a make a new text file or folder, are always locked(lock icon) Is releated with EFS? i can i...
  9. Backup the EFS encryption key file

Backup the EFS encryption key file: Yesterday I installed OneDrive app and linked it to my office 365 enterprise University account. Since then, every time I turn on my pc, I receive a warning about backup of the encryption key from EFS application. But I have never used bitlocker. I did some search online and...
  10. Command to decrypt an esd file

in Windows 10 Support
    Command to decrypt an esd file: Hi When Windows 10 downloads an esd file with Windows Update, before installing it, Windows must decrypt it. What command used to do this? Thanks Bye 20084