Windows 10: Start Menu, Search Bar, Settings, Edge and Others Not Working After Reset

Discus and support Start Menu, Search Bar, Settings, Edge and Others Not Working After Reset in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello! After wiping my computer and reinstalling windows the start menu stopped working. every time I click on the start menu the cursor shows it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by jaylawrenceHW, Oct 29, 2019.

1. Start Menu, Search Bar, Settings, Edge and Others Not Working After Reset

Hello!

After wiping my computer and reinstalling windows the start menu stopped working.

every time I click on the start menu the cursor shows it loading for a second then nothing happens, same with the notification center. The search bar wont work either, but it shows no feedback.

Edge will start for a second and show its logo then close immediately. Ive tried launching the setting through windowsKey + x but that doesn't work either.

file explorer, task manager, mail, and the microsoft store all seem to be working fine.

Ive tried resetting again 3 times, booting in safe mode, and a few powershell commands but nothing I've seen suggested seems to work.

My system is a surfacebook 1 with an i5, 8gb memory and 128 storage.

:)

jaylawrenceHW, Oct 29, 2019

2. Turn On or Off Search Suggestions in Address Bar of Microsoft Edge for Current User in Microsoft Edge Settings

How to Enable or Disable Search Suggestions in Address Bar of Microsoft Edge in Windows 10

Microsoft Edge is a new web browser that is available across the Windows 10 device family. It is designed for Windows 10 to be faster, safer, and compatible with the modern Web.

As you type in the address bar of Microsoft Edge, search suggestions appear in the address bar drop-down list by default.

This tutorial will show you how to enable or disable search suggestions in the Address bar of Microsoft Edge for your account or all users in Windows 10.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Turn On or Off Search Suggestions in Address Bar of Microsoft Edge for Current User in Microsoft Edge Settings
    • Option Two: Turn On or Off Search Suggestions in Address Bar of Microsoft Edge for Current User using a REG file
    • Option Three: Enable or Disable Search Suggestions in Address Bar of Microsoft Edge for All Users in Local Group Policy Editor
    • Option Four: Enable or Disable Search Suggestions in Address Bar of Microsoft Edge for All Users using a REG file

EXAMPLE: Search Suggestions in Address Bar of Microsoft Edge enabled and disabled

Start Menu, Search Bar, Settings, Edge and Others Not Working After Reset [​IMG]

Start Menu, Search Bar, Settings, Edge and Others Not Working After Reset [​IMG]

OPTION ONE
    Turn On or Off Search Suggestions in Address Bar of Microsoft Edge for Current User in Microsoft Edge Settings
    1. Open Microsoft Edge.

2. Click/tap on the Settings and more (Alt+X) button (3 dots), and click/tap on Settings. (see screenshot below)

3. Click/tap on Privacy & security on the left side, and turn on or off (default) Show search and site suggestions as a I type for what you want under Privacy on the right side. (see screenshot below)

OPTION TWO
    Turn On or Off Search Suggestions in Address Bar of Microsoft Edge for Current User using a REG file

*note The downloadable .reg files below will modify the DWORD value in the registry key below.

Code:
    ShowSearchSuggestionsGlobal DWORD

0 = Off
    1 = On

1. Do step 2 (on) or step 3 (off) below for what you want.

2. To Turn On Search Suggestions in Address Bar of Microsoft Edge for Current User
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Turn_ON_Show_search_and_site_suggestions_as_I_type_in_Microsoft_Edge_address_bar.reg

3. To Turn Off Search Suggestions in Address Bar of Microsoft Edge for Current User
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Turn_OFF_Show_search_and_site_suggestions_as_I_type_in_Microsoft_Edge_address_bar.reg

4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. If Microsoft Edge is currently open, then close and reopen the browser to apply.

8. If you like, you can now delete the downloaded .reg file.

OPTION THREE
    Enable or Disable Search Suggestions in Address Bar of Microsoft Edge for All Users in Local Group Policy Editor

*note You must be signed in as an administrator to do this option.

*note If this policy is enabled or disabled, it will override Option One and Option Two for all users.

*note The Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions.

All editions can use Option FOUR below.

1. Open the Local Group Policy Editor.

2. In the left pane of Local Group Policy Editor, navigate to the location below. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Microsoft Edge

3. In the right pane of Microsoft Edge in Local Group Policy Editor, double click/tap on the Configure search suggestions in Address bar policy to edit it. (see screenshot above)

4. Do step 5 (not configured), step 6 (disable), step 7 (enable) below for what you want.

5. To Not Configure Search Suggestions in Address Bar of Microsoft Edge for All Users
    A) Select (dot) Not Configured, click/tap on OK, and go to step 8 below. (see screenshot below)

6. To Disable Search Suggestions in Address Bar of Microsoft Edge for All Users
    A) Select (dot) Disabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 8 below. (see screenshot below)

7. To Always Enable Search Suggestions in Address Bar of Microsoft Edge for All Users
    A) Select (dot) Enabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 8 below. (see screenshot below)

8. You can close the Local Group Policy Editor if you like.

9. If Microsoft Edge is currently open, then close and reopen the browser to apply.

OPTION FOUR
    Enable or Disable Search Suggestions in Address Bar of Microsoft Edge for All Users using a REG file

*note You must be signed in as an administrator to do this option.

*note If this policy is enabled or disabled, it will override Option One and Option Two for all users.

*note The downloadable .reg files below will add and modify the DWORD value in the registry key below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\MicrosoftEdge\SearchScopes

ShowSearchSuggestionsGlobal DWORD

delete = Not Configured (default)
    0 = Disable
    1 = Enable

1. Do step 2 (not configured), step 3 (disable), step 4 (enable) below for what you want.

2. To Not Configure Search Suggestions in Address Bar of Microsoft Edge for All Users
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 5 below.

Default_Not_configured_Microsoft_Edge_search_suggestions.reg

3. To Disable Search Suggestions in Address Bar of Microsoft Edge for All Users
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 5 below.

Disable_Microsoft_Edge_search_suggestions.reg

4. To Always Search Suggestions in Address Bar of Microsoft Edge for All Users

Always_enable_Microsoft_Edge_search_suggestions.reg

5. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

6. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

7. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

8. If Microsoft Edge is currently open, then close and reopen the browser to apply.

9. If you like, you can now delete the downloaded .reg file.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

Shawn Brink, Oct 29, 2019
  3. windows 10 start menu edge and search bar does not work

windows 10 start menu edge and search bar does not work

ShamoonRayes, Oct 29, 2019
  4. Jay Jap Win User

Start Menu, Search Bar, Settings, Edge and Others Not Working After Reset

Edge disappeared and start menu not working on Windows 10

Hello Richard,

We need to do further investigation on your concern so that we can isolate the issue regarding Microsoft Edge and Start menu:

• Have you tried to searching in Cortana search to check if Edge can be located?
    • Besides powershell, what other troubleshooting steps have you performed?

In the meantime, you can download and run the
    Windows apps troubleshooter to isolate the issue on Edge.

We also suggest that you download and run the
    Start Menu troubleshooter to fix common Start menu issues.

We will wait for your response.

Regards.

Jay Jap, Oct 29, 2019
Thema:

Start Menu, Search Bar, Settings, Edge and Others Not Working After Reset

1. Start Menu, Search Bar, Settings, Edge and Others Not Working After Reset - Similar Threads - Start Menu Search

2. Start menu, Search bar & Microsoft Edge all not working.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start menu, Search bar & Microsoft Edge all not working.: I've been working on a computer since yesterday and have had some huge issues trying to update it Windows 10 22H2. I ultimately decided it isn't worth the hassle for now and stopped the service wuauserv so it will stop trying to install anything.Now the problem is that the...
  3. Start menu, Search bar & Microsoft Edge all not working.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Start menu, Search bar & Microsoft Edge all not working.: I've been working on a computer since yesterday and have had some huge issues trying to update it Windows 10 22H2. I ultimately decided it isn't worth the hassle for now and stopped the service wuauserv so it will stop trying to install anything.Now the problem is that the...
  4. Start menu search bar and settings dont work.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Start menu search bar and settings dont work.: its been around a day since this problem started, the search bar on my task bar does not work doesn’t let me type and if i try to open the settings app it instantly closes after opening. not sure if this is a common problem or not but my searches for a solution online have...
  5. Start menu search bar and settings dont work.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start menu search bar and settings dont work.: its been around a day since this problem started, the search bar on my task bar does not work doesn’t let me type and if i try to open the settings app it instantly closes after opening. not sure if this is a common problem or not but my searches for a solution online have...
  6. Start menu search bar and settings dont work.

7. Settings and search bar of start menu not working.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Settings and search bar of start menu not working.: I was facing some issues with the latest Windows 10 KB5014699. So I uninstalled that version. Now, when I try to open settings it just briefly flashes and disappears. And my windows search bar also not working....
  8. Settings and search bar of start menu not working.

Settings and search bar of start menu not working.: I was facing some issues with the latest Windows 10 KB5014699. So I uninstalled that version. Now, when I try to open settings it just briefly flashes and disappears. And my windows search bar also not working....
  9. Settings and search bar of start menu not working.

in Windows 10 Customization
  10. Windows Reset - Start Menu, Search, Action Center not working, Settings, Edge and...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Reset - Start Menu, Search, Action Center not working, Settings, Edge and...: Hi I performed a windows reset on my Surface Pro (2018 edition) as I was having some DNS/VPN issues (I didn't have much installed on the PC, so figured a reset would be the most straight forward fix). Since I have performed the reset, my start menu, search bar and action...