Windows 10: Strange issue with Search Bar, Edge, and all Windows dialog and windows.

Discus and support Strange issue with Search Bar, Edge, and all Windows dialog and windows. in Cortana to solve the problem; Hey all- So I have researched this issue, and I certainly do not have the issue that others have experienced that prevents typing within the Search Bar... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by JeremyCarlucci, Oct 26, 2019.

1. Strange issue with Search Bar, Edge, and all Windows dialog and windows.

Hey all- So I have researched this issue, and I certainly do not have the issue that others have experienced that prevents typing within the Search Bar and Edge. My issue is strange... I can type in the search bar, but the cursor seems to shift upward into the result. When I am working in Edge, its as if I the arrow key or the TAB key is moving and selecting different fields. When I am in OS Windows like settings, the cursor kind of jumps around....but if I am in any other app, including Explorer, Chrome, Office stuff...the mouse and keyboard work just fine. It is NOT a keyboard or Mouse issue, as I use a KVM and the Keyboard and mouse work just great on my secondary machine. There is something causing the cursor to move to other fields...preventing me frome using the search bar, and truly doign anything in settings. I was able to perform DISM, SFC, and a clean install...and the issue still persists. To make things even more strange...my gamepad (XBOX 360 Controller via USB) stopped working within all games and is NOT recognized...yet WIndows still sees it, and it works fin within the Game controll panel...I have removed USB and Game pad drivers and re-installed those as well...along with my logitec drivers... this is a real big pain the backside... any ideas would be helpful. This issue started, out of the blue a few weeks ago with just the search bar...and has gradually gotten worse.

:)

JeremyCarlucci, Oct 26, 2019

2. Turn On or Off Search Suggestions in Address Bar of Microsoft Edge for Current User in Microsoft Edge Settings

How to Enable or Disable Search Suggestions in Address Bar of Microsoft Edge in Windows 10

Microsoft Edge is a new web browser that is available across the Windows 10 device family. It is designed for Windows 10 to be faster, safer, and compatible with the modern Web.

As you type in the address bar of Microsoft Edge, search suggestions appear in the address bar drop-down list by default.

This tutorial will show you how to enable or disable search suggestions in the Address bar of Microsoft Edge for your account or all users in Windows 10.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Turn On or Off Search Suggestions in Address Bar of Microsoft Edge for Current User in Microsoft Edge Settings
    • Option Two: Turn On or Off Search Suggestions in Address Bar of Microsoft Edge for Current User using a REG file
    • Option Three: Enable or Disable Search Suggestions in Address Bar of Microsoft Edge for All Users in Local Group Policy Editor
    • Option Four: Enable or Disable Search Suggestions in Address Bar of Microsoft Edge for All Users using a REG file

EXAMPLE: Search Suggestions in Address Bar of Microsoft Edge enabled and disabled

Strange issue with Search Bar, Edge, and all Windows dialog and windows. [​IMG]

OPTION ONE
    Turn On or Off Search Suggestions in Address Bar of Microsoft Edge for Current User in Microsoft Edge Settings
    1. Open Microsoft Edge.

2. Click/tap on the Settings and more (Alt+X) button (3 dots), and click/tap on Settings. (see screenshot below)

3. Click/tap on Privacy & security on the left side, and turn on or off (default) Show search and site suggestions as a I type for what you want under Privacy on the right side. (see screenshot below)

OPTION TWO
    Turn On or Off Search Suggestions in Address Bar of Microsoft Edge for Current User using a REG file

*note The downloadable .reg files below will modify the DWORD value in the registry key below.

Code:
    ShowSearchSuggestionsGlobal DWORD

0 = Off
    1 = On

1. Do step 2 (on) or step 3 (off) below for what you want.

2. To Turn On Search Suggestions in Address Bar of Microsoft Edge for Current User
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Turn_ON_Show_search_and_site_suggestions_as_I_type_in_Microsoft_Edge_address_bar.reg

3. To Turn Off Search Suggestions in Address Bar of Microsoft Edge for Current User
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Turn_OFF_Show_search_and_site_suggestions_as_I_type_in_Microsoft_Edge_address_bar.reg

4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. If Microsoft Edge is currently open, then close and reopen the browser to apply.

8. If you like, you can now delete the downloaded .reg file.

OPTION THREE
    Enable or Disable Search Suggestions in Address Bar of Microsoft Edge for All Users in Local Group Policy Editor

*note You must be signed in as an administrator to do this option.

*note If this policy is enabled or disabled, it will override Option One and Option Two for all users.

*note The Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions.

All editions can use Option FOUR below.

1. Open the Local Group Policy Editor.

2. In the left pane of Local Group Policy Editor, navigate to the location below. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Microsoft Edge

3. In the right pane of Microsoft Edge in Local Group Policy Editor, double click/tap on the Configure search suggestions in Address bar policy to edit it. (see screenshot above)

4. Do step 5 (not configured), step 6 (disable), step 7 (enable) below for what you want.

5. To Not Configure Search Suggestions in Address Bar of Microsoft Edge for All Users
    A) Select (dot) Not Configured, click/tap on OK, and go to step 8 below. (see screenshot below)

6. To Disable Search Suggestions in Address Bar of Microsoft Edge for All Users
    A) Select (dot) Disabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 8 below. (see screenshot below)

7. To Always Enable Search Suggestions in Address Bar of Microsoft Edge for All Users
    A) Select (dot) Enabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 8 below. (see screenshot below)

8. You can close the Local Group Policy Editor if you like.

9. If Microsoft Edge is currently open, then close and reopen the browser to apply.

OPTION FOUR
    Enable or Disable Search Suggestions in Address Bar of Microsoft Edge for All Users using a REG file

*note You must be signed in as an administrator to do this option.

*note If this policy is enabled or disabled, it will override Option One and Option Two for all users.

*note The downloadable .reg files below will add and modify the DWORD value in the registry key below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\MicrosoftEdge\SearchScopes

ShowSearchSuggestionsGlobal DWORD

delete = Not Configured (default)
    0 = Disable
    1 = Enable

1. Do step 2 (not configured), step 3 (disable), step 4 (enable) below for what you want.

2. To Not Configure Search Suggestions in Address Bar of Microsoft Edge for All Users
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 5 below.

Default_Not_configured_Microsoft_Edge_search_suggestions.reg

3. To Disable Search Suggestions in Address Bar of Microsoft Edge for All Users
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 5 below.

Disable_Microsoft_Edge_search_suggestions.reg

4. To Always Search Suggestions in Address Bar of Microsoft Edge for All Users

Always_enable_Microsoft_Edge_search_suggestions.reg

5. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

6. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

7. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

8. If Microsoft Edge is currently open, then close and reopen the browser to apply.

9. If you like, you can now delete the downloaded .reg file.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

Shawn Brink, Oct 26, 2019
  3. How do I stop Windows 10/Edge saving all my typed search topics?

Hi,

Thank you for the response.

Here is how you can stop Microsoft Edge browser from showing you search suggestions in the address bar:

• Press the hotkey Win+R to open the Run dialog. Type
      gpedit.msc
      in the Run dialog and press Enter. This will open the Group Policy Editor.
    • In the Group Policy Editor, expand Computer Configuration → Administrative Templates → Windows Components → Microsoft Edge
    • Double-click on the Stop address bar from showing search suggestions setting in the right-side panel.
    • In the settings window, select Disabled and then click OK.
    That’s it. The settings apply as soon as you click on the OK button. Now if you open the Microsoft Edge web browser and try typing something in the address bar, then you won’t see any search suggestions. You can obviously revert the setting by following
    exactly the same steps and choosing Not Configured or Enabled in the last step and saving the settings.

Hope this information is helpful. Please post in case you have any further issues, I will be glad to help you further.

Thank you.

Ruth Buruga, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Strange issue with Search Bar, Edge, and all Windows dialog and windows.

Edge Search Does Not Permit Change of Region

I got these suggestions from the Microsoft Community forum.No. 1 worked for me:

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.
    We have reproduce the issue here and we are able to access non-regional search for google using Microsoft Edge.
    I would suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps.
    Step 1:
    Clear browsing data option of Microsoft Edge and check if you face the issue. To do so perform the steps below.

1. Click on the More actions icon next to the feedback icon present on top right corner of the Project Spartan homepage.
    2. Select Settings and click on Choose what to clear.
    3. Check the boxes Browsing history, Cookies and saved website data and Cached data and files and click on Clear.
    Step 2:
    I suggest you to create a new user account and check if the issue occurs.

1. Go to Settings.
    2. Choose Accounts and then select Family and other users.
    3. Select add someone else on this PC.
    4. Enter a user name and hit next.
    5. Click on Finish.
    6. Sign out from the current Account and Log into the new account.
    Step 3:
    It could also happen because of network issue. I suggest you to try with different network connection and check if it helps.

hurricane51, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

Strange issue with Search Bar, Edge, and all Windows dialog and windows.

1. Strange issue with Search Bar, Edge, and all Windows dialog and windows. - Similar Threads - Strange issue Search

2. Windows search bar has strange behavior

in Cortana
    Windows search bar has strange behavior: My windows search feature is not working, however it's not completely dysfunctional. All of the resources I've tried to find involve the search bar entirely unable to search, or launch programs, however mine behaves differently. I can launch apps for the most part but...
  3. Windows search bar has strange behavior

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows search bar has strange behavior: My windows search feature is not working, however it's not completely dysfunctional. All of the resources I've tried to find involve the search bar entirely unable to search, or launch programs, however mine behaves differently. I can launch apps for the most part but...
  4. Windows search bar has strange behavior

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows search bar issue

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows search bar issue: None of the search bars are working in the windows be it the taskbar or the windows settings or the explorer search area on the top right corner. The cursor blinks but when I try to type anything, it doesn't show the text....
  6. Windows searching bar issues

Windows searching bar issues: Ok so what happens if when I search for disk cleanup, deleting temporary files and a few other simple stuff in windows, they don't show up and instead they show search website. Please tell me how to fix this....
  7. Windows Search Bar Issue

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Search Bar Issue: [ATTACH]Searching in the Windows start menu shows nothing after restarting my laptop. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-search-bar-issue/5a11ae8f-8499-4c75-8e5d-57191afea796"
  8. All Windows Search Bars Crashing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    All Windows Search Bars Crashing: Whenever I type a few characters into the search bar next to the window icon, my screen freezes and crashes. The same thing happens even in settings; when I type a few characters, the settings app crashes. I've tried most of the fixes already online such as sfc /scannow and...
  9. Windows Search Bar issue

Windows Search Bar issue: Hello, so recently I've been having this issue of files or apps showing up in the search bar with a computer icon. Clicking on them redirects me back to the 'This PC' page that shows my folders and drives. Here's an example. [ATTACH] I have no problems opening up the...
  10. Search bars edge

in Browsers and Email
    Search bars edge: Is it norm after the latest update to have two search bar.*Confused When I open edge there is one search bar on the very top Then under that is another search bar. I'm using windows 10 home edge and bing as search engine. Any help here Please. Many Thanks.. PS Should...