Windows 10: Open Task Manager in Windows 10

Discus and support Open Task Manager in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Open Task Manager in Windows 10 How to Open Task Manager in Windows 10 Task Manager can be used to view and manage your processes,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by OppfinnarJocke, Jul 26, 2016.

1. Open Task Manager in Windows 10

How to: Open Task Manager in Windows 10

How to Open Task Manager in Windows 10

Task Manager can be used to view and manage your processes, performance statistics, app history, users, processes details, and services in Windows 10.

Starting with Windows 10 build 16215, you will notice UWPs now use per-application instanced Runtime Broker processes, rather than all sharing a single session-wide Runtime Broker. This will help improve resource attribution, resource management, and fault tolerance.

Starting with send Microsoft feedback in Feedback Hub under Desktop Environment > Task manager.

Starting with Windows 10 build 16232, Microsoft made a few small changes to the GPU performance tracker in Task Manager. Theyve updated the UI layout, and added more details like DirectX version and the physical location of your GPU. Only hardware GPUs show up in the list, and the software-only basic display adapter is hidden. More improvements coming soon!

Starting with Windows 10 build 16241, Microsoft made some design changes to the GPU section of Performance tab:
    • GPUs in the task manager DirectX Developer Blog
    • The GPU name is now shown on the left-hand side of the Performance tab for each GPU.
    • We now default to the multi-engine view, which shows performance monitors for the four most active GPU engines. Typically you’ll see charts for the 3D, Copy, Video Encode and Video Decode engines. Right-click on the chart to switch back to the single-engine view.
    • There is now a total GPU memory text counter next to the dedicated and shared text counters at the bottom of the Performance tab.
    • The Direct X version now also contains the highest supported DX feature level.
    Starting with Windows 10 build 17704, Task Manager now includes 2 new columns in the Processes tab to show energy impact of the running process on their system. This should help our customers to understand which apps/services are using the maximum power vs. the least power-hungry apps. The metric takes CPU, GPU & Disk into evaluation when calculating power usage.
    • Power usage: This column will provide an instantaneous view of apps/services using power.
    • Power usage trend: This column provides a power usage trend over 2 mins for each running apps/services. This column will be blank when you start an app but will populate based on the power usage every 2 mins.
    For more information and details about Task Manager, also see:
    This tutorial will show you how to open Task Manager in Windows 10.

CONTENTS:

EXAMPLE: Task Manager in More Details view

Open Task Manager in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Note Processes Tab

The Processes tab is shown by default when the Task Manager is launched. It’s the place where you can manage running apps and services, and also monitor high-level performance stats.

On the Processes tab, there are two primary components of the UI: Running processes (left side) and the heat map (right side). In the Task Manager, running processes are sorted by apps, non-Windows background processes, and Windows processes. Apps are sorted out at the top, making it easy to find, monitor, and manage apps without having to scan all processes and scroll through many items as you had to in prior versions of Task Manager.

The heat map (shown in varying shades of yellow and orange above) is a visualization of the resource utilization for processes which makes it easy to pinpoint where high resource utilization is taking place.

The heat map is color-coded with low resource utilization shown in pale yellow, with darker shades of yellow and orange representing progressively greater resource utilization. If resource utilization has reached a critical level, the value will be shown with a red background.

Note Performance Tab

In the Performance tab, you can also double click/tap on the left or right side to switch to summary view. To return to normal view, just double click/tap anywhere in the small footprint mode window.

On the left-hand side of the performance view live mini-graph views are shown for each performance metric, and on the right-hand side you see a detail graph for the selected metric. Each performance category has a unique information view at the bottom that shows relevant statistics for the performance category currently selected. One of the great enhancements in these graph views is how the bounds of the graphs are dynamically scaled to current utilization.

Note App history Tab

The App History tab shows historical resource utilization metrics for apps. By default, the view shows only Windows Store App resource utilization.

While on the app history tab, you can go to Options (menu bar) and click/tap on Show history for all processes to see historical resource utilization for all apps.

Note Startup Tab

In the startup tab, you can see a summary of startup performance, and tune startup behavior all in one place.

You can activate more columns by right clicking the column header that are not shown by default including startup type, disk I/O at startup, CPU at startup, running now, disabled time, and command line.

Note Users Tab

In the users tab, you can manage user accounts that are currently signed in, see what processes users are running, and what percentage of system resources they are using.

Note Details Tab

The Details tab displays information about the processes that are running on the PC. A process can be an application that you start or subsystems and services that are managed by Windows.

Note Services Tab

The services tab allows you to view and manager services that are running on your PC.

OPTION ONE [/i] Open Task Manager using Keyboard Shortcut
    1. Press the Ctrl+Shift+Escape keys.

2. Press the Alt+D keys to toggle Fewer details or More details view for Task Manager. By default, Task Manager will open to the same Fewer details or More details view as it was last closed.

OPTION TWO [/i] Open Task Manager from Taskbar
    1. Right click or press and hold on the taskbar, and click/tap on Task Manager. (see screenshot below)

*note This option will not be available if you have tablet mode turned on.

2. Select to have Task Manager display with Fewer details or More details. By default, Task Manager will open to the same Fewer details or More details view as it was last closed. (see screenshot below)

OPTION THREE [/i] Open Task Manager from Win+X Quick Link Menu
    1. Open the Win+X Quick Link menu, and click/tap on Task Manager. (see screenshot below)

2. Select to have Task Manager display with Fewer details or More details. By default, Task Manager will open to the same Fewer details or More details view as it was last closed. (see screenshot below)

OPTION FOUR [/i] Open Task Manager from Ctrl+Alt+Delete Screen
    1. Press the CTRL+ALT+DELETE keys, and click/tap on Task Manager. (see screenshot below)

OPTION FIVE [/i] Open Task Manager from Search
    1. Type taskmgr into the Search box (Win+S), and press Enter. (see screenshot below)

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

OppfinnarJocke, Jul 26, 2016
  2. E for Excel, Jul 26, 2016
  3. Tryx3 Win User
    Task Manager can't open in Windows 10

Joshua,

You can also start it by right-clicking on the Taskbar & selecting Task manager.

As for the error message you have been getting when trying to start it from the Start menu's right-click menu ["context menu"],

1 Do you have any problems opening shortcuts to other programs?

2 Have you been trying to customise your Start menu's right-click menu ["context menu"]? If so, whose instructions were you following?

Denis

Tryx3, Jul 26, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Open Task Manager in Windows 10

Hello Jocke, *Smile

All options except step 3 in step 1 should be available to you in tablet mode.

Brink, Jul 26, 2016
  5. Cliff S New Member
    Hey Shawn,
    Here is a little something I just made(while joking around with Fafhrd on another thread), I though would fit here too, and should be hung up over every PC:

Cliff S, Sep 16, 2016
  6. Try3 Win User
    [Edited for clarity 21:09 GMT]

Has anybody found out how to open Task manager when Windows starts with it already minimised to the System tray?

Opening it automatically is always a two-step process: opening it with an Admin-level TS task and then minimising it by manually clicking on its minimise button.

It does not obey any common methods when started automatically [such as adding /min -Hide or similar to the command itself] and I have not found any solution online.

It fails to respond when Windows starts to a shortcut in either Startup folder so the job has to be done with a TS task [and that task must be an Admin one].

The best I have been able to do is make it open minimised to the TaskBar so it then takes two clicks to get it minimised to the System tray [but it feels slightly more convenient than the alternatives as it leaves the desktop clear].

Any ideas?

Denis

7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Denis, *Smile

Usually clicking on its icon on the taskbar will restore the Task Manager window.

Brink, Sep 16, 2016
  8. Cliff S New Member

Use the Hide when Minimized option and then right-click restore.
    Which also hides the taskbar icon.

Cliff S, Sep 16, 2016
  9. Try3 Win User
    Brink - Thanks for replying but I am not trying to restore it. I am trying to do the opposite.

I start Task mgr with Windows [using an Admin-level logon task in TS] but it opens with a normal-sized window. I then have to minimise it manually to get it out of my way.

Cliff S - I want to find a way of having it open already minimised to the System tray without any intervention. I know how to minimise it manually as I said in my previous post.

Denis

10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Denis,

You could create a Task Manager shortcut, then set the shortcut to "Run" "Minimized" like below. When you open the shortcut, it'll open Task Manager minimized by default.

Brink, Sep 16, 2016
  11. Cliff S New Member
    So you need a task in Task Scheduler that starts it minimized at boot like IRST, OneDrive, Defender and co.
    Shawn can you write a script that starts Taskmgr(in system32) minimized?
    Just clicking the windows icon and typing taskmgr will open Task Manager, he just needs a script(Or the complete task) to start it at boot minimized.

Cliff S, Sep 16, 2016
  12. Try3 Win User
    Brink - That does not work automatically.

I am trying to get it to open with Windows minimised to the System tray.

Task manager does not obey that minimised property of the shortcut unless it is launched manually.

Denis

13. Try3 Win User

Cliff S - I have a script to run it from TS [I have already said so twice]. The best that can be done this way is to get it to open miminised to the TaskBar.

14. Cliff S New Member
    Even when the option to hide is selected?

Cliff S, Sep 16, 2016
  15. Try3 Win User
    Yes

I have obviously not been clear so I re-written my question:-

Has anybody found out how to open Task manager when Windows starts with it already minimised to the System tray?

Opening it automatically is always a two-step process: opening it with an Admin-level TS task and then minimising it by manually clicking on its minimise button.

It does not obey any common methods when started automatically [such as adding /min -Hide or similar to the command itself] and I have not found any solution online.

It fails to respond when Windows starts to a shortcut in either Startup folder so the job has to be done with a TS task [and that task must be an Admin one].

The best I have been able to do is make it open minimised to the TaskBar so it then takes two clicks to get it minimised to the System tray [but it feels slightly more convenient than the alternatives as it leaves the desktop clear].

Thema:

1. Open Task Manager in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Open Task Manager

2. Task manager not opening

in Windows 10 Customization
    Task manager not opening: The task manager of my Dell desktop does not open. It is a Windows 10This is the I get this error that appears in the screen with a sound: C:Windows\system32\taskmgr.exe Please, note that there is a second big problem, I cannot type in the SEARCH at all.So all the...
  3. Task manager not opening

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Task manager not opening: The task manager of my Dell desktop does not open. It is a Windows 10This is the I get this error that appears in the screen with a sound: C:Windows\system32\taskmgr.exe Please, note that there is a second big problem, I cannot type in the SEARCH at all.So all the...
  4. Task manager not opening

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. I can't open task manager in windows 10.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't open task manager in windows 10.: When opening task manager error occurs c:\\windows\system32\taskmgr.exe.Please help. Please solve https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-open-task-manager-in-windows-10/5965e7ba-7d43-40f0-b710-af25d8487673
  6. I can't open task manager in windows 10.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I can't open task manager in windows 10.: When opening task manager error occurs c:\\windows\system32\taskmgr.exe.Please help. Please solve https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-open-task-manager-in-windows-10/5965e7ba-7d43-40f0-b710-af25d8487673
  7. I can't open task manager in windows 10.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. Task Manager taskeng.exe opens randomly on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Task Manager taskeng.exe opens randomly on Windows 10: What should a user do, if the Task Manager itself is causing problems on the computer by opening up randomly? Imagine, the Task Manager popping up randomly while you are busy with some work. Now, imagine this happening frequently. It will be a frustrating time. Many users are...
  9. Task Manager will not open.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Task Manager will not open.: Hi everyone. I am running into an issue with Task Manager. When I try to open it (via ALL ways), I get the admin prompt that asks me permission to open it. After saying yes, the program never ends up opening. The thing is that the task manager prompt says that it is from an...
  10. Windows Task Manager can't be opened.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows Task Manager can't be opened.: When I use ProcessExplorer and click "Replace Task Manager", Windows Task Manager can't be opened. Though "Taskmgr.exe" isn't have any problems. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-task-manager-cant-be-opened/bac59266-0d8d-4341-87c0-ebbc39e5b223

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 can not open miminised window