Windows 10: transfer digital license to a new hard drive with - local users no MS account

Discus and support transfer digital license to a new hard drive with - local users no MS account in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi I have 3 computers that were recently upgraded to win 10 from win 7 & 8 via digital license. These pc's were infected with ransomware last week and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by PaulRocha, Feb 16, 2020.

1. PaulRocha Win User

transfer digital license to a new hard drive with - local users no MS account

Hi I have 3 computers that were recently upgraded to win 10 from win 7 & 8 via digital license. These pc's were infected with ransomware last week and we are changing hard drives. How does we transfer the license to the new windows install if the clients do not have a Microsoft account they log in locally

:)

PaulRocha, Feb 16, 2020

2. Local vs Network user accounts

The problem here is that people use the "Switch to MSA" method or login straight to the MSA during setup.

I do this differently as I don't want to use my MSA password nor username when logging in to my computer, but I still want all the features the MSA gives me.

So the answers to OPs question are:

1. You can create a local account to which you later add your MSA
    2. You can login straight to MSA during setup
    3. You can use the Switch to MSA method
    4. You can create one MSA only account and hide it after you have created a local only account. But to me this makes no sense, as it has the same effect as steps 1-3 but with the drawback of the user having to then login to MSA for each app separately if he wants to use any of the MS services.

ALL the above are different ways to make your account connected online and all of them transfers the digital licence you have to your MSA. BUT all makes your login method a bit different to your computer.

1. Adding MSA to your local account lets you login using your local account credentials
    2. Logging straight to MSA during setup requires you to always use your MSA login credentials
    3. Switching to MSA requires you to login using MSA credentials( I have to check if this only applies to the password or username too ) BUT your user folder will be whatever your original local account username was.

If you deactivate the MSA link after it had been established, your activation status will disappear, until you reconnect again No matter if your computer was activated or not before you added the MSA.

Either way how you decide to do it, YOU MUST make a connection on your computer to your MSA or your license will not be transferred to your MSA account and in case of hardware failure you may not be able to reactivate Windows again.

Your MSA is connected to the Windows Activation Servers, so when you do the "I have switched hardware" troubleshooting steps, the app communicate in tandem with both your MSA and the Activation Servers and cleans up all residues of your old hardware after your new hardware has a renewed digital licence locally and on your MSA.

slicendice, Feb 16, 2020
  3. Kari Win User
    Creating a MS account without losing Local account

Go to https://account.microsoft.com, click Create account and fill the form:

transfer digital license to a new hard drive with - local users no MS account [​IMG]

With a Microsoft account you can then use OneDrive and Office Online apps for free. You can also use built-in native Windows apps which require a Microsoft account like Mail, Skype Preview, People, Calendar and download apps from Windows Store.

See steps 3 to 5 in this tutorial to continue using local account as Windows sign-in account even when / if you download apps from store and / or use Windows apps requiring a Microsoft account, to avoid Windows user account converting to Microsoft account: Store - Use when Signing in to Windows 10 with Local Account - Windows 10 Forums

Other tutorials you might be interested in when you have created a Microsoft account:

4. Kari Win User

Multiple questions about installing - transfer accounts etc.

According to you, the accounts were Windows built-in admin, a local admin and standard user. None of them needs to be moved.

The built-in admin account, as the name says, will be there when you boot the laptop first time. It is disabled by default, you just need to enable it. For two other accounts, simply create same accounts on laptop.

Attach the HDD to laptop using an external USB enclosure, copy contents of data folders to respective folders on laptop.

You mentioned that the desktop accounts were / are local accounts, not Microsoft accounts. See the options to get Pro here:
    If you can still access Windows on desktop, boot it up, make it a Microsoft account and link license to that MS account. Tutorials:
    When done, see this tutorial. It will show step by step what do on the laptop to transfer desktop license to it: Use Activation Troubleshooter in Windows 10

This article is the best I have seen about when a license transfer is possible, and when not:

Thema:

1. transfer digital license to a new hard drive with - local users no MS account - Similar Threads - transfer digital license

2. Transfer digital license to new laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Transfer digital license to new laptop: Hi, I purchased a laptop with Windows 11 Home preinstalled. I have a digital license for Windows 10 pro on an old PC. I would like to transfer the Pro license to the new laptop - either Windows 10 pro or Windows 11 pro. How do I transfer the digital License?Thank you!!...
  3. Transfer digital license to new laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Transfer digital license to new laptop: Hi, I purchased a laptop with Windows 11 Home preinstalled. I have a digital license for Windows 10 pro on an old PC. I would like to transfer the Pro license to the new laptop - either Windows 10 pro or Windows 11 pro. How do I transfer the digital License?Thank you!!...
  4. Transfer digital license to another account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Transfer digital license to another account: Hey there!I thank you in advance for reading this.I've given my current laptop to another person, but I want it to preserve my digital license. I don't want my account linked to this laptop anymore, so I would like to transfer this license to the new holder account. Is it...
  5. Transferring Digital License to New PC

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Transferring Digital License to New PC: I want to transfer a retail digital license for Windows 10 Home Edition, purchased online, from my Lenovo desktop, which stopped working, to a new Dell desktop. I have tried all of the suggestions and MS Support, but I can't get through to talk to an actual person. I am...
  6. Transferring Digital License to a new PC

Transferring Digital License to a new PC: Hello, I am soon going to sell my PC and build a new one, but I'd like to transfer my digital license over to the new PC that I am going to build. I would also like to point out that my digital license is already linked to my Microsoft account. I need a explanation on how to...
  7. Digital license transfer to another account

Digital license transfer to another account: Hey, I want to change the Microsoft account linked with my PC. However, I am uncertain if by doing so my digital license will be transferred to the new account. I have ensured that the older account is signed out from my device. I was also observing the activation page which...
  8. Transfer Digital License To A New PC

Transfer Digital License To A New PC: So a few months ago I purchased Windows 10 Home from the Microsoft Store so I have a Digital License rather than a product key, my old PC unfortunately broke and I cannot log into it anymore so I bought a new one, after logging into my account it doesn't seem to want to...
  9. Transferring Digital License to new PC

Transferring Digital License to new PC: Hello, I have been trying to activate Windows 10 on my new computer using the digital license I have connected to my Microsoft account. I bought Windows 10 Pro digitally from Microsoft a few years ago and have been running it on my laptop since. My new desktop is meant to...
  10. Digital License transfer to a new pc

Digital License transfer to a new pc: Greetings, I want to transfer my Windows 10 digital license to a new laptop which has shipped with pre-installed MS DOS. My old laptop had shipped with pre-installed Windows 8.1 which I upgraded to Windows 10 Home (single language) using the free offer available during that...