Windows 10: Turn On or Off Align Desktop Icons to Grid in Windows 10

Discus and support Turn On or Off Align Desktop Icons to Grid in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Turn On or Off Align Desktop Icons to Grid in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Align Desktop Icons to Grid in Windows 10 [img]... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Aug 19, 2015.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Turn On or Off Align Desktop Icons to Grid in Windows 10

How to: Turn On or Off Align Desktop Icons to Grid in Windows 10

How to Turn On or Off Align Desktop Icons to Grid in Windows 10

Turn On or Off Align Desktop Icons to Grid in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information The desktop is the main screen area that you see after you turn on your PC and sign in to Windows. Like the top of an actual desk, it serves as a surface for your work. When you open programs or folders, they appear on the desktop. You can also put items on the desktop, such as files, folders, and shortcuts, and arrange them however you want.

If you turn on Align icons to grid, your desktop icons will automatically be snapped into place as designated by an invisible grid on your screen. The grid keeps the icons aligned with each other to prevent them from overlapping.

If you turn off Align icons to grid, your desktop icons will no longer be snapped into place by grid.

This tutorial will show you how to turn on or off align desktop icons to grid for your account in Windows 10.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Turn On or Off Align Desktop Icons to Grid using Context Menu
    • Option Two: To Turn On or Off "Auto arrange icons" and "Align icons to grid" using a BAT file

EXAMPLE: turned on and off

OPTION ONE [/i] To Turn On or Off Align Desktop Icons to Grid using Context Menu

Tip If you accidently align to grid your desktop icons, then you can quickly undo this to restore your previous desktop icons layout by restarting explorer during the current session.

Desktop icons layout only remains in memory until you sign out. Afterwards, the current layout is saved to the registry, and you will no longer be able to restore your previous desktop icons layout.

1. Right click or press and hold on your desktop (Shift+F10), click/tap on View, and click/tap on Align icons to grid to check (on - default) or uncheck (off) it. (see screenshot below)

OPTION TWO [/i] To Turn On or Off "Auto arrange icons" and "Align icons to grid" using a BAT file

Note The .bat files below will modify the DWORD value in the registry key below.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags\1\Desktop

FFLAGS DWORD

1075839520 = Auto arrange icons = OFF and Align icons to grid = OFF
    1075839521 = Auto arrange icons = ON and Align icons to grid = OFF
    1075839524 = Auto arrange icons = OFF and Align icons to grid = ON
    1075839525 = Auto arrange icons = ON and Align icons to grid = ON

1. Do step 2, step 3, step 4, or step 5 below for what you would like to do.

2. To Turn OFF "Auto arrange icons" and Turn OFF "Align icons to grid"
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the BAT file below, and go to step 6 below.

Auto_arrange_icons-OFF_and_Align_icons_to_grid-OFF.bat

Download

3. To Turn ON "Auto arrange icons" and Turn OFF "Align icons to grid"
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the BAT file below, and go to step 6 below.

Auto_arrange_icons-ON_and_Align_icons_to_grid-OFF.bat

Download

4. To Turn OFF "Auto arrange icons" and Turn ON "Align icons to grid"

Auto_arrange_icons-OFF_and_Align_icons_to_grid-ON.bat

Download

5. To Turn ON "Auto arrange icons" and Turn ON "Align icons to grid"

Auto_arrange_icons-ON_and_Align_icons_to_grid-ON.bat

Download
    6. Save the .bat file to your desktop.

7. Unblock the .bat file.

8. Run the .bat file.

9. You will now notice your screen flicker and a command prompt quickly open and close as explorer is restarted to apply the registry changes.

10. When finished, you can delete the downloaded .bat file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Aug 19, 2015
  2. Paolo Mag Win User

My desktop icons move to a grid on the left for no reason

Hello,

If your icons are aligned to a grid, this means that the settings of your desktop are currently auto arranged and automatically aligned. Since you want to rearrange your desktop icons on however you like them, we suggest that you follow these steps:

• Right-click at a blank area on your desktop.
    • Hover on View.
    • In the right pane, look for Auto arrange icons. If it's checked, make sure to uncheck it.
    • Hover again on View.
    • This time, look for Align icons to grid. If it's checked, make sure to uncheck it.

After doing these steps, you'll be able to rearrange all your desktop icons again on how you want it.

Let us know how it goes and if you need further assistance, feel free to post back.

Paolo Mag, Oct 26, 2019
  3. Alignment grid

Minimize all open windows and apps. You can use Win + D or Win + M shortcut keys. ...

Right click the empty space on your Desktop and select View - Align icons to grid. This command will toggle the Align icons to grid feature.

Andre for Directly, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Turn On or Off Align Desktop Icons to Grid in Windows 10

cannot turn off desktop auto grid

Hello clueless-on-10,

If you are referring to "Align icons to grid" for your desktop icons, then you could see of using Option 2 in the tutorial below to turn it off using a .bat file may work for you.

Shawn Brink, Oct 26, 2019
  5. Steve C Win User
    Resolution for "Align Icons to Grid"

I use "Align Icons to Grid" to line up icons on my Desktop. However, I find the resolution of the grid is too coarse. How can I reduce the icon spacing between icons for the "Align Icons to Grid" option?

Steve C, Oct 26, 2019
  6. LeoSeabra Win User
    desktop icons snap to grid

Hi!

Welcome to our community.

This is Leocadia, independent community expert, and I am glad to assist you today.

Please, follow the instructions below:

1.Right-click an empty part of the desktop.

2.Select the "View" option.

3.Select "Align Icons to Grid." Your desktop folders and other shortcuts snap to the grid automatically.

Alternatively, you can unable/disable Align Desktop Icons to Grid with a Registry tweak

Open the Registry Editor app.

Go to the following Registry key.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags\1\Desktop

On the right, modify or create a new 32-Bit DWORD value "FFlags". Set it to one of the following values in decimal.

1075839520 - disable Auto Arrange Icons and Align Icons to Grid

1075839525 - enable Auto Arrange Icons and Align Icons to Grid

1075839521 - enable Auto Arrange Icons and disable Align Icons to Grid

1075839524 - disable Auto Arrange Icons but enable Align Icons to Grid

Note: Even if you are running 64-bit Windows you must still create a 32-bit DWORD value.Auto Arrange Edit In Registry

To make the changes done by the Registry tweak take effect, you need to restart the Explorer shell.

That's it.

I hope it helps.

LeoSeabra, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

1. Turn On or Off Align Desktop Icons to Grid in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Turn Off Align

2. Windows 10 desktop is misaligned because icons not aligning to grid.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 desktop is misaligned because icons not aligning to grid.: All the icons on my Windows 10 desktop are spaced too far apart. As a result some icons are not even visible. When I right click on the desktop>view>align icons to grid. Nothing happens. It's the same with 'auto arrange icons'. Neither command seems to work. If I select small...
  3. Windows 10 desktop is misaligned because icons not aligning to grid.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 desktop is misaligned because icons not aligning to grid.: All the icons on my Windows 10 desktop are spaced too far apart. As a result some icons are not even visible. When I right click on the desktop>view>align icons to grid. Nothing happens. It's the same with 'auto arrange icons'. Neither command seems to work. If I select small...
  4. Windows 10 desktop is misaligned because icons not aligning to grid.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How do I turn off the alignment grid?

How do I turn off the alignment grid?: Last week the alignment grid popped up on my desktop. How so I turn it off? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-turn-off-the-alignment-grid/10633c51-e38e-41a2-9844-5d1ff114ef7f
  6. Align to Grid Disabled, but desktop icons STILL snapping to a grid after Windows 10 update

Align to Grid Disabled, but desktop icons STILL snapping to a grid after Windows 10 update: Hi! I have Windows 10 and it just did an update againt my wishes, if I can permanetly disable that I would!. The update was about 20 minutes and when it was finished, all appeared normal until I saved a file to my desktop and realized that all my icons were repositioned....
  7. how do I turn off the alignment grid

how do I turn off the alignment grid: How do I turn off the alignment grid? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-turn-off-the-alignment-grid/d147601d-f990-4178-8a82-aee6ef5a1cd3
  8. Alignment grid

Alignment grid: I really need to get rid of the alignment grid. It is driving me crazy, and I don't know how it turned on! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/alignment-grid/bd77425b-f130-4288-9e60-6c91462890ae
  9. Desktop Icons - Can't align to grid/Auto-arrange

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop Icons - Can't align to grid/Auto-arrange: My desktop icons are aligning on the left of my desktop. When I try to move them, they snap back to where they were. So, I tried right-clicking the desktop thinking I would uncheck "Align icons to grid". That option was not checked, and neither was "Auto arrange icons". I...
  10. Resolution for "Align Icons to Grid"

in Windows 10 Support
    Resolution for "Align Icons to Grid": I use "Align Icons to Grid" to line up icons on my Desktop. However, I find the resolution of the grid is too coarse. How can I reduce the icon spacing between icons for the "Align Icons to Grid" option? 34955

Users found this page by searching for:

1. alignment grid windows 10

2. align to grid desktop

3. desktop grid align

4. align icons grid,
  5. turn off alignment grid windows 10,
  6. windows 10 align icons grid,
  7. windows 10 desktop turn off grid