Windows 10: Change Size of Desktop Icons in Windows 10

Discus and support Change Size of Desktop Icons in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Change Size of Desktop Icons in Windows 10 How to Change the Size of Desktop Icons in Windows 10 The desktop is the main screen area that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Cliff S, Sep 2, 2016.

1. Cliff S New Member

Change Size of Desktop Icons in Windows 10

How to: Change Size of Desktop Icons in Windows 10

How to Change the Size of Desktop Icons in Windows 10

The desktop is the main screen area that you see after you turn on your PC and sign in to Windows. Like the top of an actual desk, it serves as a surface for your work. When you open programs or folders, they appear on the desktop. You can also put items on the desktop, such as files, folders, and shortcuts, and arrange them however you want.

Starting with the Windows 10 Creators Update version 1703, you will no longer be able to change the size of desktops icons to a list, details, tiles, or content view.

This tutorial will show you how to change the size and view layout of your desktop icons in Windows 10.

Contents

EXAMPLE: Desktop view with small, medium, and large icons

Change Size of Desktop Icons in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] To Resize Desktop Icons using Scroll Wheel
    You can quickly undo this to restore your previous desktop icons size and layout by restarting explorer during the current session.

Desktop icons size and layout only remains in memory until you sign out. Afterwards, the current size and layout is saved to the registry, and you will no longer be able to restore your previous desktop icons size and layout.

1 Click/tap on your desktop, press and hold the Ctrl key and roll the scroll wheel forward and backward until you have the size you want for your desktop icons, then release the Ctrl key.

There are 28 sizes available to scroll ranging from extra small to extra large.

2 You may need to toggle Auto align icons on and off to realign the icons on your desktop.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Resize Desktop Icons using Context Menu
    You can quickly undo this to restore your previous desktop icons size and layout by restarting explorer during the current session.

Desktop icons size and layout only remains in memory until you sign out. Afterwards, the current size and layout is saved to the registry, and you will no longer be able to restore your previous desktop icons size and layout.

1 Right click or press and hold on your desktop (Shift+F10), click/tap on View, and click/tap on Large icons, Medium icons, or Small icons for the size you want. (see screenshot below)

OPTION THREE [/i] To Change Desktop View Layout using Keyboard

1 Click/tap on your desktop, press and hold the Shift + Ctrl keys and press a number key 1 to 4 until you have the view layout you want for your desktop, then release the Shift and Ctrl keys.

This will not work using the number pad. You will need to use the numbers at the top of the keyboard.

[table][tr][td]Number[/td] [td]View Layout[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]1[/td] [td]Extra large icons[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]2[/td] [td]Large icons[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]3[/td] [td]Medium icons[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]4[/td] [td]Small icons[/td] [/tr] [/table]

OPTION FOUR [/i] To Resize Desktop Icons using a BAT file
    The downloadable .bat files below will modify the DWORD values in the registry key below.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags\1\Desktop

IconSize DWORD

LogicalViewMode DWORD

Mode DWORD

1 Do step 2 (extra large), step 3 (large), step 4 (medium), step 5 (small), below for what view layout you would like use on your desktop.

2. To Use Extra Large Icons on Your Desktop
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the BAT file below, and go to step 6 below.

Extra_large_desktop_icons.bat

Download

3. To Use Large Icons on Your Desktop
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the BAT file below, and go to step 6 below.

Large_desktop_icons.bat

Download

4. To Use Medium Icons on Your Desktop

Medium_desktop_icons.bat

Download

5. To Use Small Icons on Your Desktop

Small_desktop_icons.bat

Download
    6 Save the .bat file to your desktop.

7 Unblock the .bat file.

8 Run the .bat file.

9 You will now notice your screen flicker and a command prompt quickly open and close as explorer is restarted to apply the registry changes.

10 You may need to toggle Auto align icons on and off to realign the icons on your desktop.

11 When finished, you can delete the downloaded .bat file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Cliff S, Sep 2, 2016

2. how can you change icon script size in windows 10 creator

Just updated to windows 10 creator

Now I find I can't change desktop icon script size

I don't mean change the size of everything from100% size to 125% or 150% etc, just the labels on my desktop shortcut icons

TonyBristow, Sep 2, 2016
  3. how do I change windows 10 icon size and spacing on the desktop

how do I change windows 10 icon size and spacing on the desktop

SyFischthal, Sep 2, 2016
  4. Edwin New Member

Absolutely @Cliff S! *Thumbs

Also remember:
    You can adjust the size of icons in column view with Ctrl+Mouse Wheel:

Edwin, Sep 2, 2016
  5. Edwin New Member
    And......

As the desktop is a virtual folder, the columns become scrollable, with enough icons added, and a scroll bar on the right as well!

Edwin, Sep 2, 2016
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Thank you Cliff. I added OPTION THREE to the tutorial for this. *Smile

Brink, Sep 2, 2016
  7. Cliff S New Member
    *ThumbsIt's really only useful if you use your desktop as a work area, with a lot of files and folder and it helps organize a little better.(my first screenshot)

Cliff S, Sep 2, 2016
  8. Cliff S New Member

For #6 Details view, right clicking the header gives a drop down menu.

selecting more, let's you add more information.

Cliff S, Sep 2, 2016
  9. I have just registered to seek help from you awesome people. After the latest update, Ctrl + Shift + 5 through 8 (as well as the .bat files uploaded here) are not working. Please let us know the fix or at least any workarounds. Thanks a million!

mahmudhussain, Jun 16, 2017
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello @mahmudhussain, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

Unfortunately, those views are no longer available starting with the Windows 10 Creators Update.

Brink, Jun 16, 2017
  11. Is there any workarounds available, good sir?

mahmudhussain, Jun 16, 2017
  12. Brink
    Brink New Member
    None that I know of so far. *Sad

Brink, Jun 16, 2017
  13. Change Size of Desktop Icons in Windows 10

Can I weigh you with a workaround I've been working on — not on my own but depending on helps and tweaks of other wonderful users — but couldn't get it fully to work?

I can install DesktopListView or DesktopFolderSwitcher, and both of them are able to provide with a list view of the Desktop icons. However, with my dual monitor setup the texts of the icons remain okay, but the icons themselves disappear…

mahmudhussain, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Change Size of Desktop Icons in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Change Size Desktop

2. Desktop Icon changes size

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop Icon changes size: Windows 11 22H2 22621.2134 Public Release versionDoes anyone else have problems with Desktop Icons changing size?I have one icon on my desktop, that when I start my computer displays it's large size. During the course of the day while using my computer, without even touching...
  3. Desktop Icon changes size

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop Icon changes size: Windows 11 22H2 22621.2134 Public Release versionDoes anyone else have problems with Desktop Icons changing size?I have one icon on my desktop, that when I start my computer displays it's large size. During the course of the day while using my computer, without even touching...
  4. Desktop icons changed size?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop icons changed size?: I had my desktop really nice and organised, all the icons were the default size and such. however i took my pc with me on holiday and plugged it into an external TV which in turn changed all my icons around and it changed their size . i thought it would be fine as when i...
  5. how to change icon size on desktop

how to change icon size on desktop: how do I change icon size on desk top https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-change-icon-size-on-desktop/b7843bff-0843-401b-a295-3b71ce3068a0
  6. change icon size and fonts on desktop

change icon size and fonts on desktop: change icon size and fonts on desktop https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-icon-size-and-fonts-on-desktop/b284d108-f2ea-4846-ae65-18ea60ea1143
  7. Changing size of icon font on desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    Changing size of icon font on desktop: Hope y'all can help me out. There's a free win.10 utility that you use to change things on win.10. Among the things you can change is icon font size, spacing, etc. You can change all kind of things. Thing is, I once had it and reformatted and lost it. Does anyone know the...
  8. Changing the size of desktop icons

Changing the size of desktop icons: Hello, When I place a shortcut to a file on the desktop it assigns the default icon (e.g. Word or Excel icon) and this is approx 80 x 80 pixels. If I then change that icon to one that I've created it displays at approx 40 x 40 pixels (choosing an icon from the icons folder...
  9. Changing icon size on desktop

Changing icon size on desktop: Somehow one of my children changed the icon size of the recycle bin on my desktop screen so it is really large. How do I get it back to the regular size? Thank you....
  10. Permanently change desktop icon size

in Windows 10 Support
    Permanently change desktop icon size: Does anybody know how to change the desktop icon size permanently? I know you can change the size with Alt+ScrollWheel or through the View context menu on the Desktop. But those changes revert whenever Explorer is restarted (including when it decides to restart itself for...