Windows 10: Turn On or Off Always On Top for Task Manager in Windows 10

Discus and support Turn On or Off Always On Top for Task Manager in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Turn On or Off Always On Top for Task Manager in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Always On Top for Task Manager in Windows 10 Task... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Mar 28, 2017.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Turn On or Off Always On Top for Task Manager in Windows 10

How to: Turn On or Off Always On Top for Task Manager in Windows 10

How to Turn On or Off Always On Top for Task Manager in Windows 10

Task Manager can be used to view and manage your processes, performance statistics, app history, users, processes details, and services in Windows 10.

This tutorial will show you how to turn on or off to have the Task Manager always on top while open for your user account in Windows 10.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Turn On or Off Always On Top for Task Manager using Keyboard Shortcut
    • Option Two: Turn On or Off Always On Top for Task Manager in Task Manager
    • Option Three: Turn On or Off Always On Top for Task Manager from Task Manager Notification Icon
    • Option Four: Turn On or Off Always On Top for Task Manager in Registry Editor

OPTION ONE [/i] Turn On or Off Always On Top for Task Manager using Keyboard Shortcut
    1. Open Task Manager in more details view.

2. Press the Alt+O keys to open the "Options" menu and then press the A key to toggle Always on top checked (on) or unchecked (off-default) for what you want.

OPTION TWO [/i] Turn On or Off Always On Top for Task Manager in Task Manager
    1. Open Task Manager in more details view.

2. Click/tap on Options in the menu bar, and click/tap on Always on top to check (on) or uncheck (off-default) it for what you want. (see screenshot below)

Turn On or Off Always On Top for Task Manager in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION THREE [/i] Turn On or Off Always On Top for Task Manager from Task Manager Notification Icon
    1. Open Task Manager.

2. Right click or press and hold on the Task Manager icon on the taskbar notification area, and click/tap on Always on top to toggle it on (checked) or off (default) for what you want. (see screenshot below)

OPTION FOUR [/i] Turn On or Off Always On Top for Task Manager in Registry Editor
    1. Press the Win+R keys to open Run, type regedit, and click/tap on OK to open Registry Editor.

2. Navigate to the key below in the left pane of Registry Editor. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\TaskManager

3. In the right pane of the TaskManager key, double click/tap on the Preferences binary value to modify it. (see screenshot above)

4. Change the value data in the 6th row of line 0018 to 01 (on) or 00 (off-default) for what you want, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

5. When finished, you can close Registry Editor if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Mar 28, 2017

2. icons are missing when the task manager is turned off

Hi,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am sorry to know that you are facing issues with Windows 10.

I do appreciate your efforts and time, and will assist you with the issue.

• How are you trying to turn off Task Manger?

Your reply is very important for us to ensure a proper resolution.

Meanwhile, I suggest you to reset Windows explorer and check if it helps.

Please follow the steps:

• Right click on the task Bar and select Task Manager.

• Select Processes tab.

• Choose windows explorer and right click on it.

• Select end task

• Click on file menu and select run new task.

• Type explorer.exe

• Click on ok.

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Syed Abdul Jabbar, Oct 26, 2019
  3. dotmarty Win User
    Windows 10 - cannot add exec to Startup in Task Manager

I purchased a new computer with Windows 10 already installed. I am trying to add an exec to the startup list but Win10 will not accept it. The exec runs successfully on my Windows 10 machine if I start it manually.

Steps I've taken: Task Manager, Startup Tab, File>Run New Task. (browse to location, select.) It will start immediately, but does not show up on the list to autostart, nor does it start on reboot.

Any suggestions?

dotmarty, Oct 26, 2019
  4. btarunr Win User

Windows 10 Task Manager to Get GPU Utilization Tab

Microsoft is working on an update to Windows 10, which among several other things, adds a GPU utilization tab to Task Manager. You will be able to monitor each individual GPU in your machine, and Task Manager will give you live utilization stats for the GPU's 3D load, Video hardware-acceleration (encode/decode) load, dedicated memory usage, shared memory usage, and basic driver information such as driver version and date. For now the update is part of Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 16226; and will make it to the main-release in the coming months.

Turn On or Off Always On Top for Task Manager in Windows 10 72c4e559f706_thm.jpg

Source: Windows Blog

btarunr, Oct 26, 2019
  5. Every task I end remains in the task manager for over 10 minutes?

Well lads.

The last couple of days I am having a strange issue with closing programs down,
    I only notice it with games.
    When ever I exit a game, it remains in the task manager for over 10 minutes and it cannot be ended in anyway. The only way to sort it out is to just wait around or restart the computer.

I believe this has only just started to happen 2 days ago when I got my new GPU " ASUS Geforce GTX 560 Ti Direct CUII 900Mhz TOP "

The software that was installed could have caused it??

ASUS Splendid
    ASUS SmartDoctor
    ASUS GamerOSD

Any suggestions?

Irish_PXzyan, Oct 26, 2019
  6. I cannot access Windows Update or Backup or Task Manager in my Windows 10 computer.

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows Insider Builds.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing in accessing the operating system, we will help you with this issue.

Do let us know the following to assist you better with this issue:

• Have you made any changes to the operating system prior to this issue?
    • What is the error message/ error code that you receive with respect to Task Manager?
    • Does this issue persists in Safe mode as well?

Try few of the below troubleshooting steps and check if it helps.

Step 1: I suggest you to boot the computer in Safe mode and check if the issue persists.

Refer: Start your PC in safe mode in Windows 10

Follow the steps to place the computer in normal mode.

• Press Windows + R keys to open
      Run command.
    • Type msconfig and press
      Enter.
    • In the System Configuration window, click on
      General tab.
    • Select Start-up selection as
      Normal startup, click on Apply
      and Ok.
    • Follow onscreen instructions.

Step 2: I suggest you to end the Windows Explorer process and create the new one.

• As Task Manager is not working press Ctrl+Shift+Esc
      and check if Task Manager pops-up or press Ctrl+ Alt+ Delete and check if it helps.
    • Under Process tab, search for Windows Explorer.
    • Right click on it and click on End task.
    • Click on File in the Task Manager
      at top left corner of the window and select Run new task.
    • Type explorer.exe and click on Ok.

Step 3: I suggest you to Run SFC scan.

System File Checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files.

Follow the below steps:

• Right click on the Start button, click on
      Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Type “sfc /scannow” without the quotes and hit
      Enter.
    • After the scan, restart the computer and check for the issue.

Hope it helps. Try the above and update us the status of this issue for further assistance.

Deepika Gowda, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

1. Turn On or Off Always On Top for Task Manager in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Turn Off Always

2. Task Manager Should Default to -Always on Top-

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Task Manager Should Default to -Always on Top-: So my thread from 2 years ago is locked. I have to create a new thread. Wouldn't want everyone to see the continued stupidity.Once again an update has reset Task Manager to NOT 'Always on Top'. Of course the way you find out is when a full screen program bugs and you can't...
  3. Task Manager Should Default to -Always on Top-

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Task Manager Should Default to -Always on Top-: So my thread from 2 years ago is locked. I have to create a new thread. Wouldn't want everyone to see the continued stupidity.Once again an update has reset Task Manager to NOT 'Always on Top'. Of course the way you find out is when a full screen program bugs and you can't...
  4. task bar stay always on top

in Windows 10 Gaming
    task bar stay always on top: I Need the taskbar to always show even after F11full screen, tried many online suggestions nothing worksmany thanks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/task-bar-stay-always-on-top/009ee721-f9f5-428e-8428-76af09d74af4
  5. task bar stay always on top

task bar stay always on top: I Need the taskbar to always show even after F11full screen, tried many online suggestions nothing worksmany thanks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/task-bar-stay-always-on-top/009ee721-f9f5-428e-8428-76af09d74af4
  6. Task Manager Should Default to -Always on Top-

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Task Manager Should Default to -Always on Top-: Updated to Windows 11 and the task manager is set back to -Always on Top- off. Why in all that is holy is -Always on Top- not the installation default?Of course I didn't realize this until I actually needed it and couldn't access it because a full screen program was in the...
  7. Task Manager Should Default to -Always on Top-

Task Manager Should Default to -Always on Top-: Updated to Windows 11 and the task manager is set back to -Always on Top- off. Why in all that is holy is -Always on Top- not the installation default?Of course I didn't realize this until I actually needed it and couldn't access it because a full screen program was in the...
  8. How to keep Task Manager always on top in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to keep Task Manager always on top in Windows 10: [ATTACH]In this post, we will show you how to keep Task Manager always on […] This article How to keep Task Manager always on top in Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  9. Turn On or Off Always on Top mode for Calculator app in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Always on Top mode for Calculator app in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off Always on Top mode for Calculator app in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Always on Top mode for Calculator app in Windows 10 The Windows Calculator app included in Windows 10 is a simple yet powerful calculator that includes standard, scientific,...
  10. Turn On or Off Minimize on use for Task Manager in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Minimize on use for Task Manager in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off Minimize on use for Task Manager in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Minimize on use for Task Manager in Windows 10 Task Manager can be used to view and manage your processes, performance statistics, app history, users, processes details, and...