Windows 10: Turn On or Off Automatic Updates for Offline Maps in Windows 10

Discus and support Turn On or Off Automatic Updates for Offline Maps in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Turn On or Off Automatic Updates for Offline Maps in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Automatic Updates for Offline Maps in Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Mar 29, 2018.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Turn On or Off Automatic Updates for Offline Maps in Windows 10

How to: Turn On or Off Automatic Updates for Offline Maps in Windows 10

How to Turn On or Off Automatic Updates for Offline Maps in Windows 10

Windows 10 comes with the Maps app preinstalled. Maps is your guide to everywhere. Find your way with voice navigation and turn-by-turn driving, transit, and walking directions. Search for places to get directions, business info, and reviews. Download maps to use when youre offline. Tour the world virtually with aerial imagery and 360 degree street-level views. Plus, you get the same experience across all your Windows 10 PCs and phones.

If you would like to search for places and get directions in the Maps app even when you are not connected to the Internet, you should download maps for offline use.

If you like, you can turn on automatic updates for maps. Maps will only be automatically updated when your device is plugged in (AC power) and you're not on a metered connection.

This tutorial will show you how to turn on or off to automatically update offline maps for all users in Windows 10.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Turn On or Off Automatic Map Updates in Settings
    • Option Two: To Turn On or Off Automatic Map Updates using a REG file

OPTION ONE [/i] To Turn On or Off Automatic Map Updates in Settings
    1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the Apps icon.

2. Click/tap on Offline maps on the left side, and turn On (default) or Off Automatically update maps under Map updates on the right side for what you want. (see screenshot below)

3. When finished, you can close Settings if you like.

Turn On or Off Automatic Updates for Offline Maps in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION TWO [/i] To Turn On or Off Automatic Map Updates using a REG file

*note You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to do this option.

The downloadable .reg files below will modify the DWORD value in the registry key below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Maps

AutoUpdateEnabled DWORD

0 = Off
    1 = On

[/note]
    1. Do step 2 (on) or step 3 (off) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Turn On Automatic Map Updates
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Turn_On_Automatically_Update_Maps.reg

Download

3. To Turn Off Automatic Map Updates
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Turn_Off_Automatically_Update_Maps.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. If you like, you can now delete the downloaded .reg file.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Mar 29, 2018
  2. Brink Win User
    Brink, Oct 26, 2019
  3. Ian Sal Win User
    NO Maps Offline

Hi FrancoTerracciano,

Follow these steps on how to use Offline Maps:

• Download maps before you go offline. Then later, search for places and get directions in the Maps app, even without Internet access.
    • On your Windows 10 PC or phone, select Settings
      > Apps, and then choose
      Offline maps.
    • Select Download maps and follow the instructions.
    • On Start
      , select Maps to search for places and get directions on the downloaded maps.
    Let us know how it works.

Regards.

Ian Sal, Oct 26, 2019
  4. jsfitz54 Win User

Windows 10 Anniversary Update Issues

Problems with W10 Anniv auto update:

Mom's: (x58 Xeon 5677) Windows Defender was not turned back on automatically (it was "on" in the 1511 edition) and she had a Trojan. Full system scan to eradicate.
    Her Epson printer was knocked off, had to uninstall by Device Manager pull USB cable and reconnect cable. W10 did the rest.

Step-mom's: (HP pre built) Windows Defender not turned back on by default. Her USB Seagate Expansion Drive 2Tb was offline so all backup routines were halted. Had to rerun backup plan. Had her do a full virus scan.

Step-dad's: (Dell Optiplex tweaked upgrades) Windows Defender not turned back on by default. Full Scan.

jsfitz54, Oct 26, 2019
  5. CPinnegar Win User
    Disable Offline Map downloads and updates

Yeah, that disables the auto download and update....which is good. I'm trying to take it a step further by greying out the options for offline maps altogether.

With that GPO set users can still manually download...

CPinnegar, Oct 26, 2019
  6. Brink Win User
    Disable Offline Maps in Windows 10

I've only found a GPO to disable automatic map updates.

Turn On or Off Automatic Updates for Offline Maps in Windows 10 [​IMG]

Brink, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

1. Turn On or Off Automatic Updates for Offline Maps in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Turn Off Automatic

2. Turn off automatic updates

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Turn off automatic updates: I have followed the directions for stopping the automatic updates, but when I try to execute them, it tells me I can't access that feature. How do I turn this feature off?...
  3. offline maps in windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    offline maps in windows 10: what is the reason that Pakistan map isn't listed in the offline maps of windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/offline-maps-in-windows-10/98c2fac6-99c8-4693-aeb1-d49aa460ce6d
  4. turn off automatic updates

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    turn off automatic updates: automatic updates in my laptop makes my browsing speed very low. how can I turn off automatic windows update https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/turn-off-automatic-updates/74d6a85a-409f-4eee-b806-5abd72a9471a
  5. Turn automatic updates off?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Turn automatic updates off?: Hello, i just installed windows 10 pro 64bit on my computer and would like to turn automatic updates off but cannot find the option on control panel. Can anyone help me out? 110716
  6. Offline Maps

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Offline Maps: Where can I find downloaded offline maps, so that I can copy them over to my new laptop for traveling instead of having to download all over again ? Would simple copying works? Thanks for any advice. 49342
  7. Is it possible to turn off automatic updates for windows 10?

Is it possible to turn off automatic updates for windows 10?: Hello, Is it possible to turn off automatic updates for windows 10? I check for updates often and would rather manually install them instead of finding out after the fact that updates we made. Thanks in advance. Stu 68977
  8. Turn off automatic Windows 10 Updates

Turn off automatic Windows 10 Updates: Hello. To turn off automatic updates in Windows 10, we basically need to prevent the Windows Update service from running on startup. This can be done by going to Start Menu>type 'Services'>look for a service called 'Windows Update' and double click on it>if it's already...
  9. Enable or Disable Automatic Updates for Offline Maps in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Automatic Updates for Offline Maps in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Automatic Updates for Offline Maps in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Automatic Updates for Offline Maps in Windows 10 Windows 10 comes with the Maps app preinstalled. Maps is your guide to everywhere. Find your way with voice navigation...
  10. Check for Updates of Offline Maps in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Check for Updates of Offline Maps in Windows 10: How to: Check for Updates of Offline Maps in Windows 10 How to Check for Map Updates of Offline Maps in Windows 10 Windows 10 comes with the Maps app preinstalled. Maps is your guide to everywhere. Find your way with voice navigation and turn-by-turn driving, transit,...