Windows 10: Turn On or Off Download Maps over Metered Connections in Windows 10

Discus and support Turn On or Off Download Maps over Metered Connections in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Turn On or Off Download Maps over Metered Connections in Windows 10 Turn On or Off Download Offline Maps over Metered Connections in Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Aug 1, 2016.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Turn On or Off Download Maps over Metered Connections in Windows 10

How to: Turn On or Off Download Maps over Metered Connections in Windows 10

Turn On or Off Download Offline Maps over Metered Connections in Windows 10

Windows 10 comes with the Maps app preinstalled. Maps is your guide to everywhere. Find your way with voice navigation and turn-by-turn driving, transit, and walking directions. Search for places to get directions, business info, and reviews. Download maps to use when youre offline. Tour the world virtually with aerial imagery and 360 degree street-level views. Plus, you get the same experience across all your Windows 10 PCs and phones.

If you would like to search for places and get directions in the Maps app even when you are not connected to the Internet, you should download maps for offline use.

By default, maps will be automatically updated only when your device is plugged in (AC power) and you're not on a metered connection.

If you have a automatic updates.

This tutorial will show you how to turn on or off downloading offline maps over metered connections for all users in Windows 10.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Turn On or Off Download Offline Maps over Metered Connections in Settings
    • Option Two: To Turn On or Off Download Offline Maps over Metered Connections using a REG file

OPTION ONE [/i] To Turn On or Off Download Offline Maps over Metered Connections in Settings
    1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the Apps icon.

2. Click/tap on Offline maps on the left side, and turn on or off (default) Metered connections on the right side for what you want. (see screenshot below)

3. When finished, you can close Settings if you like.

Turn On or Off Download Maps over Metered Connections in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION TWO [/i] To Turn On or Off Download Offline Maps over Metered Connections using a REG file

*note You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to do this option.

The downloadable .reg files below will modify the DWORD value in the registry key below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Maps

UpdateOnlyOnWifi DWORD

0 = On
    1 = Off

1. Do step 2 (on) or step 3 (off) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Turn On Download Offline Maps over Metered Connections
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Turn_On_download_offline_maps_over_metered_connections.reg

Download

3. To Turn Off Download Offline Maps over Metered Connections
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Turn_Off_download_offline_maps_over_metered_connections.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. If you like, you can now delete the downloaded .reg file.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Aug 1, 2016

2. How do I download updates for Windows 10 through a metered connection?

Hi Gary,

Thanks for posting your query on Microsoft community.

As per your query, I like to inform you to that; you cannot download Windows updates on metered connection. To download the updates, you need to turn off the metered connection then check for the updates.

I suggest you turn off the metered connection then check for the updates.

To turn off the metered connection, follow the below path:

Open Settings > Network & Internet
    > Wi-Fi, connect to the metered connection, maybe a Wi-Fi hotspot you’re tethering from your mobile, then click Advanced options, and toggle Set as metered connection to Off.

For more information about metered connection, refer to the below link:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows-8/metered-internet-connections-frequently-asked-questions

Note: Applies to Windows 10 as well

To download the updates, follow the below steps:

• Type setting in the search area in the taskbar and select
      Settings.

• Click on Update and Security.

• Click on Check for Updates.

Hope it helps, reply to us with the status of your issue. We will be happy to assist you.

Santosh_Rai, Oct 26, 2019
  3. Metered connections in Windows 10

Hi Roger,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

Let me guide you how to turn on metered connection on Windows 10.

To turn on the metered connection follow the below steps:

• Connect to the network that you want to turn on the metered connection.

• Click on the network icon on the system tray and click on
      Network settings.

• Click on Wi-Fi on the left pane and click on
      Advanced option on the right side.
    • Now you can turn on the metered connection.
    Hope this helps. Post us in case if you have any further issues with Windows, we will be glad to help you further.

Billion Debbarma, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Turn On or Off Download Maps over Metered Connections in Windows 10

DOWNLOAD OVER METERED CONNECTIONS

Hi Regina,

The metered connection on your Windows 10 computer will limit the data usage to reduce its consumption. However, this option may affect some applications on your device and some updates won’t be installed automatically. To manage this option, we suggest
    that you follow the steps provided in this article regarding metered
    connections in Windows 10
    . Once you’re on the page, you may proceed with the steps, and then complete the process. After completing the steps, you may check if the issue persists.

Keep us updated about your concern for additional assistance.

Joseph Ban, Oct 26, 2019
  5. reginaYM Win User
    DOWNLOAD OVER METERED CONNECTIONS

Joseph please read my question more carefully.

My question was not about WiFi. I know how to do that. My question was about WIRED CONNECTIONS. I do not want to use the Registry changes which I am not confident doing. So I want to know that if I do this
    Settings/Devices/Check Download Over Metered Connections, will that affect the wired connection making it metered.

reginaYM, Oct 26, 2019
  6. OneDrive - Metered Connection

Hi Sayyid,

Since you're using a SIM to be able to use the internet, Windows 10 automatically set your connection as metered if your Internet service provider limits the data you can use.

You can turn the Set as metered connection option to OFF by following these steps:

• Click the Internet access icon from the Taskbar.
    • Click the network where you are connected, then click Properties.
    • Locate and toggle the Set as metered connection to OFF.

Let us know if the message still appears after following the above mentioned steps.

Regards.

Michelle Her, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

Turn On or Off Download Maps over Metered Connections in Windows 10

1. Turn On or Off Download Maps over Metered Connections in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Turn Off Download

2. download updates over metered connection

in Windows 10 Gaming
    download updates over metered connection: hi,Yesterday, I noticed that when checking for updates and when there are updates appearing, it states something like downloading updates over metered connection. Yet, when I checked under advance options, the option to turn on metered connection is not on. How to get the...
  3. download updates over metered connection

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    download updates over metered connection: hi,Yesterday, I noticed that when checking for updates and when there are updates appearing, it states something like downloading updates over metered connection. Yet, when I checked under advance options, the option to turn on metered connection is not on. How to get the...
  4. Metered connection option keeps turning off

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Metered connection option keeps turning off: Hi. I got this annoying problem, when i set a connection as metered windows turning it off! in other word the option does not save! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/metered-connection-option-keeps-turning-off/04fb5a9d-5b2b-4680-9b2a-6f465e465393
  5. metered connection off

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    metered connection off: hallo everyone may some one please help me with switching on the metered cellular data connection on, thank you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/metered-connection-off/d30889c7-e455-4ff8-8256-af9429436734
  6. Turn On or Off Download Updates over Metered Connections in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Download Updates over Metered Connections in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off Download Updates over Metered Connections in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Allow Automatically Download Updates over Metered Connections in Windows 10 By default, Windows Update in Windows 10 will automatically download and install updates,...
  7. Windows 10 1703 updating over Metered connection

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 1703 updating over Metered connection: I have 3 windows 10 1703 machines on a Metered connection, however windows update just installed KB4022725 (OS Build 15063.413) on each of them over the last 2 days why? Metered connection is set to "ON". Any advise would be appreciated. 86875
  8. How to update Windows 10 over metered connection?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How to update Windows 10 over metered connection?: I'm running Windows 10 Pro. I've had it a week and notice that no updates have yet been downloaded - all the available updates are marked 'Waiting for download'. I use a mobile broadband dongle and I am limited to 10 GB data a month. My understanding is that Windows...
  9. Turn On or Off Allow VPN over Metered Networks in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Allow VPN over Metered Networks in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off Allow VPN over Metered Networks in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Allow VPN over Metered Networks in Windows 10 [img] Information Whether it's for work or personal use, you can connect to a VPN (virtual private network) on your Windows 10 PC....
  10. Turn On or Off Device Software over Metered Connection in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Device Software over Metered Connection in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off Device Software over Metered Connection in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Download Device Software over Metered Connection in Windows 10 [img] Information Internet service providers can charge by the amount of data used (the amount of data...