Windows 10: Turn On or Off Developer Mode in Windows 10

Discus and support Turn On or Off Developer Mode in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Turn On or Off Developer Mode in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Developer Mode in Windows 10 There is a different approach for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Mar 8, 2017.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Turn On or Off Developer Mode in Windows 10

How to: Turn On or Off Developer Mode in Windows 10

How to Turn On or Off Developer Mode in Windows 10

There is a different approach for development for Windows 10 devices. A developer license is no longer required for each device that you want to use to develop, install or test your app. You just enable a device once for these tasks from the settings for the device. That's it. No more renewing your developer licenses every 30 or 90 days!

For Windows 10, you choose what tasks you want to enable on the device. This includes any devices: Windows 10 desktops, tablets and phones. You can enable a device for development, or just sideloading.

All Universal Windows Apps are signed to help keep your device secure. To install an app package on a device to test it, you need to trust the package. For that trust to exist, the certificate that is used to sign the app must be installed on the device. (If the certificate has already been installed, then only the package needs to be added to the device.) The settings that you choose will change the level of security of your device.

[table][tr][td]Setting[/td] [td]Description[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Windows Store apps[/td] [td]Only install apps from the Windows Store.[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Sideload apps[/td] [td]Sideloading is installing and then running or testing an app that has not been certified by the Windows store. For example, an app that is internal to your company only. You can install an .appx and any certificate that is needed to run the app with the PowerShell script that is created with the package. Or you can use manual steps to install the certificate and package separately. If you sideload apps, you should still only install apps from trusted sources. When you install a sideloaded app that has not been certified by the Windows store, you are agreeing that you have obtained all rights necessary to sideload these apps and that you are solely responsible for any harm that results from installing and running these apps.[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Developer mode[/td] [td]You can debug your apps on this PC if you choose developer mode. It replaces the Windows 8.1 requirement for a developer license. You can also sideload any apps if you choose developer mode, even ones that you have not developed on the device. You just have to install the .appx with its certificate for sideloading.[/td] [/tr] [/table]

For more details, see:
    This tutorial will show you how to select which developer features to use on your Windows 10 PC.

*Warning You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to change developer features.

*tip Enable your device for development - UWP app developer | Microsoft Docs

*note In Windows 10 build 17672, the Developer mode feature is broken along with Features on Demand. If you try to add any optional feature or activate Developer mode in Settings, the process takes forever. The functionality is broken and will be fixed with the next Insider Preview release.

To fix Developer Mode in Windows 10 Build 17672, do the following:
    1. Open an elevated command prompt.
    2. Copy and paste the dism /online /Add-Capability /CapabilityName:Tools.DeveloperMode.Core~~~~0.0.1.0 command into the elevated command prompt, and press Enter.
    3. The developer mode feature is now enabled. You may need to restart the computer to apply.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Change Developer Features for Apps in Settings
    • Option Two: To Change Developer Features for Apps using a REG file

OPTION ONE [/i] To Change Developer Features for Apps in Settings
    1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the Update & security icon.

2. Click/tap on For developers on the left side, and select (dot) the Windows Store apps, Sideload apps, or Developer mode feature you want to use. (see screenshot below)

Turn On or Off Developer Mode in Windows 10 [​IMG]

3. If you selected Sideload apps or Developer mode, then click/tap on Yes to confirm. (see screenshots below)

4. When finished, you can close Settings if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Change Developer Features for Apps using a REG file

*note The downloadable .reg files below will add and change the DWORDs in the registry key below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppModelUnlock

AllowDevelopmentWithoutDevLicense DWORD

AllowAllTrustedApps DWORD

0 for both DWORDs = Windows Store apps
    0 for "AllowDevelopmentWithoutDevLicense" and 1 for "AllowAllTrustedApps" = Sideload apps
    1 for both DWORDs = Developer mode

1. Do step 2 (Windows Store apps), step 3 (Sideload apps), or step 4 (Developer mode) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Use Windows Store apps
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 5 below.

Use_Windows_Store_app_developer_feature.reg

Download

3. To Use Sideload apps
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 5 below.

Use_Sideload_apps_developer_feature.reg

Download

4. To Use Developer Mode

Use_Developer_Mode_developer_feature.reg

Download
    5. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

6. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

7. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

8. If you like, you can delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Mar 8, 2017

2. How to enable developer mode in Windows 10

Hi Roshan,

Thank you for posting in Community.

We are glad to provide the assistance required to help resolve the issue.

For now, I suggest that you perform the steps below to enable Developer Mode via Group Policy and check.

1. Open Group Policy Editor and navigate to the following setting:

Local Computer Policy > Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > App Package Deployment

2. You will need to edit and Enable the following two policies

• Allow all trusted apps to install
    • Allows development of Windows Store apps and installing them from an integrated development environment (IDE

Hope this helps

Vanessa Sohtun, Oct 26, 2019
  3. AlexBestM Win User
    Cannot Disable / Turn Off "Developer mode" in settings->Update&Security->For developers->Developer Mode on laptop with Windows 10

I have Widows 10 Professional installed on my laptop. Cannot Disable / Turn Off "Developer mode" in settings->Update & Security->For developers->Developer Mode . Clicking on checked radio button "Developer mode" does not change its status.

There is no any other option to Disable/Turnoff "Developer mode" either.

What needs to be done to Disable / Turn Off "Developer mode" in settings->Update & Security->For developers->Developer Mode on laptop with windows 10.

System info:

Version: 10.0.15063 Build 15063

Thanks in advance

**Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.**

AlexBestM, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Turn On or Off Developer Mode in Windows 10

What is developer mode

Hi,

I suggest you to start the computer in Safe mode from the Windows Recovery Environment.

Please refer the below link to start the computer in Safe mode and check if it fixes the issue:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-8/windows-startup-settings-safe-mode

Note: The steps for Windows 8.1 applies to Windows 10 Insider Preview.

Once you have entered into the Safe mode then, open Command Prompt and enable Built in Administrator.

Follow the below steps to enable Built in Administrator:

• Open Command Prompt from Windows Recovery Environment.
    • Copy and paste the below command and press Enter.
    net user administrator /active:yes

3. Close the Command Prompt.

4. Try to login though Built in Administrator and change the earlier password or you can create new user account.

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Harkanwar Singh, Oct 26, 2019
  5. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Oct 26, 2019
  6. How to turn on off Airplane mode in windows 10?

Two methods as given in the article as well.

• Open Action Center by clicking the rightmost icon. In the bottom side, a tile of airplane mode would be given. Clicking that would turn it ON and turn it into bright tile.
    • Navigate to Settings>Network and Internet and turn Airplane mode ON or OFF.
    All clear steps are here as well:

Ten Forums - Windows 10 Help and Support Forum

Sumit Dhiman2, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

Turn On or Off Developer Mode in Windows 10

1. Turn On or Off Developer Mode in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Turn Off Developer

2. Unable to turn on developer mode on Hololens 2

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to turn on developer mode on Hololens 2: I'm trying to turn on Developer Mode so that I can run my Unity project on my Hololens. The toggle for Developer Mode isn't grayed out, but when I press it, it does nothing. My Hololens is from an organization, but I confirmed with them that they haven't locked down Developer...
  3. Unable to turn on developer mode on Hololens 2

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to turn on developer mode on Hololens 2: I'm trying to turn on Developer Mode so that I can run my Unity project on my Hololens. The toggle for Developer Mode isn't grayed out, but when I press it, it does nothing. My Hololens is from an organization, but I confirmed with them that they haven't locked down Developer...
  4. Unable to turn on developer mode on Hololens 2

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Turning off Airplane Mode in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Turning off Airplane Mode in Windows 10: I installed an update from Microsoft for Windows 10, once it installed it for whatever reason turned on airplane mode! Now that in & of it's self may not be a bad thing, but it is when it's on a DESKTOP COMPUTER!! I've googled, Binged, MSN, you name it, trying to get help on...
  6. Developer mode windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Developer mode windows 10: I can't change windows developer mode. its always like this whenever I click on other options it doesn't work [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/developer-mode-windows-10/5152830b-424a-458b-b1c5-5c32e94e51a0
  7. Cannot turn off Developer mode - "managed by your organization"

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot turn off Developer mode - "managed by your organization": Hello everyone, I need assistance from someone who is knowledgeable. I'm setting up a brand new home laptop for my senior parents who only use it for browsing internet. Windows 10 HOME edition - Build 1803 The setting "For Developers" is turned on and has the "Some...
  8. Turn On or Off Tablet Mode in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Tablet Mode in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off Tablet Mode in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Tablet Mode in Windows 10 Continuum is Microsoft's new way of switching between tablet and desktop mode on a Windows 10 tablet or convertible PC as needed. Tablet mode makes Windows easier and...
  9. Turn On or Off Airplane Mode in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Airplane Mode in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off Airplane Mode in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Airplane Mode in Windows 10 Airplane mode is a feature that gives you a quick way to turn off all wireless communication on your PC. As the name implies, it's especially useful when you're on an...
  10. Turn On or Off Game Mode in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Game Mode in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off Game Mode in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Game Mode in Windows 10 Starting with Windows 10 build 15019, a new Game Mode feature has been added that can optimize your Windows 10 PC for an improvement in game performance and best possible...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. turn off developer mode windows 10