Windows 10: Turn On or Off Fix Scaling for Apps that are Blurry in Windows 10

Discus and support Turn On or Off Fix Scaling for Apps that are Blurry in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Turn On or Off Fix Scaling for Apps that are Blurry in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Fix Scaling for Apps that are Blurry in Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by farag, Feb 4, 2018.

1. farag Win User

Turn On or Off Fix Scaling for Apps that are Blurry in Windows 10

How to: Turn On or Off Fix Scaling for Apps that are Blurry in Windows 10

How to Turn On or Off Fix Scaling for Apps that are Blurry in Windows 10

Starting with sign in to Windows to have these apps render properly. You can now instead turn on the Fix scaling for apps feature that will enable these apps to be fixed simply by re-launching them.

Starting with Windows 10 build 18277 (19H1), Microsoft is enabling this setting by default, to help automatically address some of your scaling feedback, and reduce the number of times you see that Fix blurry apps notification.

This tutorial will show you how to turn on or off to let Windows try and fix DPI scaling for apps so they are not blurry for your account in Windows 10.

*note This wont work for all desktop apps and it only improves blurry desktop apps while theyre on the Extend display mode, these apps might still be blurry on secondary displays.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Turn On Fix Scaling for Apps using Notification
    • Option Two: Turn On or Off Fix Scaling for Apps in Settings
    • Option Three: Turn On or Off Fix Scaling for Apps using a REG file
    • Option Four: "Override system DPI" Per-app in Compatibility Mode Settings
    • Option Five: Enable or Disable Fix Scaling for Apps for All Users in Local Group Policy Editor
    • Option Six: Enable or Disable Fix Scaling for Apps for Specific Users in Local Group Policy Editor
    • Option Seven: Enable or Disable Fix Scaling for Apps for All Users using a REG file

OPTION ONE [/i] Turn On Fix Scaling for Apps using Notification
    1. If Windows detects that you might have blurry apps on your main display, click/tap on Yes, fix apps in the notification. (see screenshot below)

Turn On or Off Fix Scaling for Apps that are Blurry in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION TWO [/i] Turn On or Off Fix Scaling for Apps in Settings
    1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the System icon.

2. Click/tap on Display on the left side, and click/tap on the Advanced scaling settings link on the right side under "Scale and layout". (see screenshot below)

3. Turn on or off (default) Let Windows try to fix apps so they're not blurry for what you want. (see screenshot below)

4. You can now close Settings if you like.

OPTION THREE [/i] Turn On or Off Show OneDrive Cloud States in Navigation Pane using a REG file

*note The downloadable .reg files below will modify the DWORD value in the registry key below.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop

EnablePerProcessSystemDPI DWORD

(delete) = Off
    1 = On

1. Do step 2 (on) or step 3 (off) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Turn On Fix Scaling for Apps
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Turn_ON_fix_scaling_for_apps.reg

Download

3. To Turn Off Fix Scaling for Apps
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Turn_OFF_fix_scaling_for_apps.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. If you like, you can delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

OPTION FOUR [/i] "Override system DPI" Per-app in Compatibility Mode Settings

*note Windows reports an unchanging DPI to legacy applications, which is set when the user first signs in to Windows. This can result in blurry applications if the main monitor changes while the user is signed in.

This override setting will allow Windows to instead report the current DPI of the main monitor when the application starts.
    1. Open the compatibility settings for the .exe file of the app you want to change the override system DPI settings for.

2. Click/tap on the Change high DPI settings button. (see screenshot below)

3. Do step 4 (on) or step 5 (off) below for what you want.

4. To Turn On "Override system DPI" for this App
    A) Check the Override system DPI box. (see screenshot below)

B) Select Windows logon or Application start in the drop menu for what you want.

C) Click/tap on OK, and go to step 6 below.

5. To Turn Off "Override system DPI" for this App
    A) Uncheck the Override system DPI box. (see screenshot below)

B) Click/tap on OK, and go to step 6 below.

6. Click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below step 2)

OPTION FIVE [/i] Enable or Disable Fix Scaling for Apps for All Users in Local Group Policy Editor

*note This option will override Option One, Option Two, Option Three, and Option Six.

The Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions.

All editions can use Option Seven below.
    1. Open the Local Group Policy Editor.

2. In the left pane of the Local Group Policy Editor, click/tap on to expand Computer Configuration, Administrative Templates, and Start Menu and Taskbar. (see screenshot below)

3. In the right pane of Start Menu and Taskbar, double click/tap on the Configure Per-Process System DPI settings policy to edit it. (see screenshot above)

4. Do step 5 (enable) , step 6 (disable), or step 7 (default) below for what you would like to do.

5. To Enable Fix Scaling for Apps for All Users
    A) Select (dot) Enabled, select Enable in the "Enable or disable Per-Process System DPI for all applications" drop menu under "Options", click/tap on OK, and go to step 8 below. (see screenshot below)

6. To Disable Fix Scaling for Apps for All Users
    A) Select (dot) Enabled, select Disable in the "Enable or disable Per-Process System DPI for all applications" drop menu under "Options", click/tap on OK, and go to step 8 below. (see screenshot below)

7. To Restore Default Fix Scaling for Apps for All Users
    *note This will allow users to use Option One, Option Two, and Option Three.
    A) Select (dot) Not Configured or Disabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 8 below. (see screenshot below)

*note Not Configured is the default setting.

8. When finished, you can close the Local Group Policy Editor if you like.

OPTION SIX [/i] Enable or Disable Fix Scaling for Apps for Specific Users in Local Group Policy Editor

*note This option will override Option One, Option Two, and Option Three.

The Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions.

All editions can use Option Seven below.
    1. Open the all users except administrators Local Group Policy Editor for how you want this policy applied.

2. In the left pane of the Local Group Policy Editor, click/tap on to expand User Configuration, Administrative Templates, and Start Menu and Taskbar. (see screenshot below)

3. In the right pane of Start Menu and Taskbar, double click/tap on the Configure Per-Process System DPI settings policy to edit it. (see screenshot above)

4. Do step 5 (enable) , step 6 (disable), or step 7 (default) below for what you would like to do.

5. To Enable Fix Scaling for Apps
    A) Select (dot) Enabled, select Enable in the "Enable or disable Per-Process System DPI for all applications" drop menu under "Options", click/tap on OK, and go to step 8 below. (see screenshot below)

6. To Disable Fix Scaling for Apps
    A) Select (dot) Enabled, select Disable in the "Enable or disable Per-Process System DPI for all applications" drop menu under "Options", click/tap on OK, and go to step 8 below. (see screenshot below)

7. To Restore Default Fix Scaling for Apps
    A) Select (dot) Not Configured or Disabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 8 below. (see screenshot below)

*note Not Configured is the default setting.

8. When finished, you can close the Local Group Policy Editor if you like.

OPTION SEVEN [/i] Enable or Disable Fix Scaling for Apps for All Users using a REG file

*note This option will override Option One, Option Two, Option Three, and Option Six.

The downloadable .reg files below will add and modify the DWORD and string values in the registry keys below.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Control Panel\Desktopr

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Control Panel\Desktop

EnablePerProcessSystemDPI DWORD

(delete) = Default
    0 = Disable
    1 = Enable

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Display

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Display

EnablePerProcessSystemDPIForProcesses String value
    DisablePerProcessSystemDPIForProcesses String value

(delete) = Default

1. Do step 2 (default) or step 3 (enable), or step 4 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Restore Default Fix Scaling for Apps for All Users
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 5 below.

Default_user_choice_Per-Process_System_DPI_for_apps.reg

Download

2. To Enable Fix Scaling for Apps for All Users
    *note This is the default setting.

Enable_Per-Process_System_DPI_for_apps.reg

Download

3. To Disable Fix Scaling for Apps for All Users

Disable_Per-Process_System_DPI_for_apps.reg

Download
    5. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

6. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

7. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

8. You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

farag, Feb 4, 2018

2. Mixed resolution scaling results in blurry applications?

The problem isn't with the monitor that's scaled, but rather with the ones that "aren't". The 150% scaling actually looks pretty good - I don't have any complaints. Legacy apps are a bit blurry, but I was expecting that. What I wasn't expecting was
    the severe blurriness of all "scaling-aware" apps on monitors that, by all rights, shouldn't be doing any scaling.

So:

UHD Monitor - 150% Scaling - Everything good.

HD Monitor - 100% Scaling - Everything blurry.

I don't understand why that is. Again, I would expect *no* scaling artifacts on a monitor that effectively has scaling turned off.

Belisarius2501, Feb 4, 2018
  3. TomHood2 Win User
    Blurry text in windows 10 in some programs

Heren is how to fix Blurry Font Problem In Windows 10

1 – Right-click on the shortcut of the app you’re having an issue with.

2 – Select Properties.

3 – Select the Compatibility tab.

4 – Enable Disable display scaling on high DPI settings.

:– Launch the XPExplorer – Windows 10 DPI Fix.

:– checks for Use Windows 8.1 Scaling .

:– choose your scaling level .

Source:-
    https://merabheja.com/fix-blurry-font-problem-in-windows-10/

TomHood2, Feb 4, 2018
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Thank you farag. Corrected. *Smile

Brink, Feb 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Turn On or Off Fix Scaling for Apps that are Blurry in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Turn Off Fix

2. blurry on 125% scaling

in Windows 10 Gaming
    blurry on 125% scaling: HeyWhen im on my native resolution the apps and texts are too small. When i change to 125% scaling the text and apps are perfect size but it's blurry, any help please?I have tried a resolution lower but its blurry aswell...
  3. blurry on 125% scaling

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    blurry on 125% scaling: HeyWhen im on my native resolution the apps and texts are too small. When i change to 125% scaling the text and apps are perfect size but it's blurry, any help please?I have tried a resolution lower but its blurry aswell...
  4. Blurry app fix for Windows 10 v1709

in Windows 10 Customization
    Blurry app fix for Windows 10 v1709: Hello, I have an older version 1709 of Windows 10, which I cannot find a fix for the blurry apps on my high resolution display - Microsoft's listed solutions to this only pertain only to later versions of Windows 10. Of course, these can be fixed in the Microsoft apps by...
  5. Is there anyway of fixing blurry apps without changing the DPI scaling?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there anyway of fixing blurry apps without changing the DPI scaling?: So my issue is that some of my apps (e.g. Audacity) looks blurry on my 14-inch laptop. I tried a few tutorials of changing the DPI but that just makes everything look smaller. Does anyone have the solution to fix this blurry issue without making everything look small?...
  6. Turning "Fix scaling for apps" Off breaks our app's behavior (breaks .NET Framework Image...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Turning "Fix scaling for apps" Off breaks our app's behavior (breaks .NET Framework Image...: Am I correct that when a user sets "Fix scaling for apps" to Off that Windows essentially treats all apps as DPI Unaware? If so, is there a way for our app to say "treat us as DPI Aware anyway"? (That would be the easiest work-around.) Background: our WinForms app...
  7. Fix apps that are blurry?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Fix apps that are blurry?: How do I fix the constant interruptions made by the notice "fix apps that are blurry"? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/fix-apps-that-are-blurry/9dfcde48-e11c-47dd-8951-32eded2aae0a
  8. Fix apps that appear blurry in Windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Fix apps that appear blurry in Windows 10: How do I get rid of the "Fix apps that appear blurry" VIRUS in Windows 10? It appears every time I start Windows or login and dismissing it or sending it to Notifications just causes it to appear again next time....
  9. Scaling set to 125 % but most of the apps are blurry - How to fix it ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Scaling set to 125 % but most of the apps are blurry - How to fix it ?: Scaling set to 125 % but most of the apps are blurry as well as the control panel - How to fix it ? I have tried also the new option from advance scaling settings, the "Let Windows try to fix apps so they are not blurry" but i get the same thing. I have looked all over the...
  10. Windows 10 Enterprise blurry text in some apps - 150% scaling

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Enterprise blurry text in some apps - 150% scaling: Hi, I am aware of scaling problem on high DPI monitors/screens Windows 10 has. Therefore I has been using XPEWindows10_DPI_FIX with custom scaling of 124% without any display problems (even .mmc consoles are displayed fine such as device manager, event viewer and so on). This...