Windows 10: View All Automatic Maintenance Tasks in Windows 10

Discus and support View All Automatic Maintenance Tasks in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: View All Automatic Maintenance Tasks in Windows 10 How to View All Automatic Maintenance Tasks in Windows 10 Maintenance activity refers... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Cluster Head, Nov 16, 2015.

1. View All Automatic Maintenance Tasks in Windows 10

How to: View All Automatic Maintenance Tasks in Windows 10

How to View All Automatic Maintenance Tasks in Windows 10

Maintenance activity refers to an application or process that helps maintain the health and performance of a Windows PC. Maintenance includes keeping Windows and applications up-to-date, checking security, and running scans for malware. Windows Automatic Management (WAM) is a set of enhancements to the Task Scheduler API you can use to link your applications into the Windows maintenance schedule. Specifically, WAM allows you to add activities that require regular scheduling, but do not have exact time requirements. Instead, WAM relies on the operating system to choose the appropriate time to activate the task throughout the day. The system chooses those times based on minimal impact to the user, PC performance, and energy efficiency.

How Scheduled Maintenance Works

Windows Automatic Maintenance minimizes impact to the PC by scheduling maintenance only when the PC is on and idle. By default, the system performs maintenance daily, starting at 3 AM. (Note that the user may re-schedule when the maintenance occurs.) This daily session is limited to a maximum duration of 1 hour per attempt. If the user is actively using the machine, the system defers maintenance until a later time. The system also suspends any executing maintenance task if the user returns to the PC.

The system restarts a suspended maintenance task during the next idle period; however, the system will not suspend any task marked as critical. Instead, the system allows a critical task to complete, regardless of user action.

Due to the nature of scheduling, some scheduled tasks may not finish: perhaps there are too many scheduled events to fit in the 1 hour maintenance window, or maybe the computer was simply not turned on. In such cases, you can define a task with a deadline. A deadline is defined as a recurring time frame in which the system must successfully perform the task at least once.

If a task misses a deadline, the maintenance scheduler will continue to attempt to execute the task during the maintenance window. Further, the scheduler will not limit itself to the regular 1 hour time limit. Instead, the scheduler extends the duration of the maintenance window in order to complete the delayed task. If the system still cannot complete the task, the Action Center displays a warning notification to the user. The user can then manually initiate the maintenance action from the Action center.

Once the system completes the task (even with a failure error code), the attempt is considered successful. After a successful attempt, the scheduler resets to the regular maintenance schedule, and will attempt the task during the next period.

For more information about "Automatic Maintenance", see: Automatic Maintenance (Windows Dev Center)

This tutorial will show you how to view a list of all automatic maintenance tasks in Windows 10.

Here's How:

1. Open PowerShell.

2. Copy and paste the command below into PowerShell, and press Enter.
    *Arrow Get-ScheduledTask | ? {$_.Settings.MaintenanceSettings} | Out-GridView

View All Automatic Maintenance Tasks in Windows 10 [​IMG]

3. You will now see a list of all automatic maintenance tasks including their TaskPath, TaskName, and current State in Task Scheduler (taskschd.msc). (see screenshots below)

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Cluster Head, Nov 16, 2015
  2. P4-630 Win User

Can I have a tray icon for automatic maintenance windows 10

On windows 8.1 it did always a windows defender scan with automatic maintenance, since I'm using defender on this 10 laptop, I think it will scan on this laptop as well when it does maintenance.

P4-630, Oct 26, 2019
  3. How to disable automatic maintenance permanently?

Hello,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10!

In Windows 8.1, you could open the task scheduler and browse to the location: Task Scheduler > Microsoft > Windows > Task Scheduler. You could then eventually, disable
    Idle Maintenance & Regular Maintenance. But in Windows 10, these entries are not listed.

In this case, I would suggest you to send your feedback using the Feedback App in Windows 10. To open the feedback app:

• Open Start menu.
    • Type Feedback and hit Enter
    • Follow the prompts
    Hope the information helps.

Harkanwar Singh, Oct 26, 2019
  4. gdallsk Win User

View All Automatic Maintenance Tasks in Windows 10

Can I have a tray icon for automatic maintenance windows 10

Ah yes, of course, almost forgot about that *Big Grin View All Automatic Maintenance Tasks in Windows 10 :D
    Yeah, the scan happens daily, defender will give you scan reports at the end of the week in your Notification Center.

gdallsk, Oct 26, 2019
  5. P4-630 Win User
    Windows Maintenance never stops

I have "Idle Maintenance" and "Regular Maintenance" disabled in the Task Scheduler.
    Now it does not run anymore when idle.

I will defrag my hdd and optimize my ssd manually.
    I have scheduled windows defender anti virus scanning automatically once a week.
    I do windows updates manually.

I don't think that windows automatic maintenance when idle important is, or is it?

P4-630, Oct 26, 2019
  6. tracit99 Win User
    Change Automatic Maintenance Settings in Windows 10

I realize that Automatic Maintenance is important and these settings allow one to generally change the time Automatic Maintenance is suppose to run. In my experience Automatic Maintenance rarely runs at the time set. It is randomized and many times runs when I am using my computer to do something else.

The four tasks found in Windows 8.1 TaskScheduler (Idle Maintenance, Maintenance Configurator, Manual Maintenance, and Regular Maintenance) are no longer present in Windows 10 Technical Preview. Using your tutorial from the Eight Forums I could better control when Automatic Maintenance would actually run. I suspect in Windows 10 that a new task named Maintenance Activator now controls Automatic Maintenance. I found this task by running the command powercfg /waketimers and the response was:
    Timer set by [SERVICE] \Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\svchost.exe (SystemEventsBroker) expires at 5:52:14 AM on 10/20/2014.
    Reason: Windows will execute 'Maintenance Activator' scheduled task that requested waking the computer.

I have looked for the Maintenance Activator task by running schtasks /query and by looking in the Task Scheduler under the Active Tasks list, and I cannot find it.

For some reason Microsoft has chosen to really hide this new task. Does anyone now how to unhide the Maintenance Activator task?

tracit99, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

View All Automatic Maintenance Tasks in Windows 10

1. View All Automatic Maintenance Tasks in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - View Automatic Maintenance

2. Automatic maintenance behavior

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Automatic maintenance behavior: I'm running Windows 10 Version 20H2 on an HP Laptop. I only use the laptop briefly every day and then shut it down. Since I shut down after use, I do not have automatic maintenance turned on as a task, rather I run it myself every day before shutting down. I've noticed when I...
  3. Automatic maintenance behavior

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Automatic maintenance behavior: I'm running Windows 10 Version 20H2 on an HP Laptop. I only use the laptop briefly every day and then shut it down. Since I shut down after use, I do not have automatic maintenance turned on as a task, rather I run it myself every day before shutting down. I've noticed when I...
  4. Automatic maintenance behavior

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Question about Windows 10 Automatic Maintenance

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Question about Windows 10 Automatic Maintenance: TL;DR Will automatic maintenance defrag my SSD? I'm running Windows 10 2004 19041.450. I'm thinking about running automatic maintenance at the end of each day to keep my system updated without having to go through the hassle of doing it myself. I'm concerned because I've...
  6. Automatic Maintenance

Automatic Maintenance: This feature was accessed about 45 minutes ago and is still running. How do I get it to complete the maintenance, please? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/automatic-maintenance/40119d17-0c2e-41b4-9982-19d4ec0cfe38
  7. automatic maintenance win 10

automatic maintenance win 10: i want to disable this feature how to do it? as i have new ssd if this defragments my ssd it may be bad for my ssd https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/automatic-maintenance-win-10/833e5b55-d483-407f-8341-4606edf1e27d
  8. Automatic Maintenance Bug?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Automatic Maintenance Bug?: I did am no Malware. Also it has not done it again since the reboot.
  9. Maintenance Activator Task

Maintenance Activator Task: I posted here about year ago concerning a scheduled task called Maintenance Activator. I still cannot find this task listed in the Task Scheduler or by using schtasks /query in command prompt. Does anyone know about or have any information concerning this task? [img] 41494
  10. Automatic maintenance and windows.old

Automatic maintenance and windows.old: I know windows.old can be purged by the user but I am curious about how often disk clean up runs as part of automatic maintenance. After the upgrade to fall creators both our machines were left with sizeable 20 odd gigs of windows.old i left it about ten days and then gave...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. view automatic maintenace

2. Windows Automatic Management (WAM)