Windows 10: Disable Web Content on New Tab Page in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10

Discus and support Disable Web Content on New Tab Page in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Disable Web Content on New Tab Page in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Web Content on New Tab Page in Microsoft Edge in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Sandi1987, Feb 4, 2017.

1. Sandi1987 Win User

Disable Web Content on New Tab Page in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10

How to: Disable Web Content on New Tab Page in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10

How to Enable or Disable Web Content on New Tab Page in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10

Microsoft Edge is a new web browser that is available across the Windows 10 device family. It is designed for Windows 10 to be faster, safer, and compatible with the modern Web.

By default, users can select to have the New Tab page open with top sites, top sites and suggested content, or a blank page in Microsoft Edge.

You can use the Allow web content on New Tab page group policy to enable or disable web content on the New Tab page in Microsoft Edge.

Disabling this policy loads a blank page instead of the New tab page and prevents users from changing it.

This tutorial will show you how to enable or disable web content on the New Tab page in Microsoft Edge for all users in Windows 10.

*Warning You must be signed in as an administrator to enable or disable web content on the New Tab page in Microsoft Edge.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Enable or Disable Web Content on New Tab Page in Microsoft Edge in Local Group Policy Editor
    • Option Two: Enable or Disable Web Content on New Tab Page in Microsoft Edge using a REG file

EXAMPLE: Web content disabled on New Tab page in Microsoft Edge

Disable Web Content on New Tab Page in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] Enable or Disable Web Content on New Tab Page in Microsoft Edge in Local Group Policy Editor

*note The Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions.

All editions can use Option TWO below.

1. Open the Local Group Policy Editor.

2. In the left pane of Local Group Policy Editor, navigate to the location below. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Microsoft Edge

3. In the right pane of Microsoft Edge in Local Group Policy Editor, double click/tap on the Allow web content on New Tab page policy to edit it. (see screenshot above)

4. Do step 5 (enable) or step 6 (disable) below for what you want.

5. To Enable Web Content on New Tab Page in Microsoft Edge
    A) Select (dot) Not Configured or Enabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

*note Not Configured is the default setting.

6. To Disable Web Content on New Tab Page in Microsoft Edge
    A) Select (dot) Disabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

7. You can close the Local Group Policy Editor if you like.

8. If Microsoft Edge is currently open, then close and reopen the browser to apply.

OPTION TWO [/i] Enable or Disable Web Content on New Tab Page in Microsoft Edge using a REG file

*note The downloadable .reg files below will add and modify the DWORD value in the registry key below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\MicrosoftEdge\ServiceUI

AllowWebContentOnNewTabPage DWORD

delete = Enable
    0 = Disable

1. Do step 2 (enable) or step 3 (disable) below for what you want.

2. To Enable Web Content on New Tab Page in Microsoft Edge
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Enable_web_content_on_New_Tab_page_in_Microsoft_Edge.reg

Download

3. To Disable Web Content on New Tab Page in Microsoft Edge
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Disable_web_content_on_New_Tab_page_in_Microsoft_Edge.reg

Download

4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. If Microsoft Edge is currently open, then close and reopen the browser to apply.

8. If you like, you can now delete the downloaded .reg file.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Sandi1987, Feb 4, 2017

2. Edge new tab

Hi Niranjan,

Sorry if this is a dumb question but I did not see a direct answer in your response to Pat's question:

"How can I set new tab in Edge to google.co.uk".

Please rephrase your answer so an old computer dinosaur could understand it.

I believe Pat was asking how to have each “new tab” open to a specific web page; in his case to google.co.uk.

When I open a new tab:

• I DON'T want ‘"suggested content” which is like a MSN page with weather, news, and featured apps from Windows Store.’
    • I DON'T want a “Blank page”
    • I Do want the Google search page: google.com
    Admittedly, I’m new to Windows 10 and Windows Edge but it appears to me that Microsoft is making it very difficult (or impossible) to use non-Microsoft search engines
    or default to non-Microsoft web pages.

Hope you can dispel my concerns.

Thanks, Jack

JackThorworth, Oct 27, 2019
  3. Edge new tab

Hi Pat,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

Especially for Edge, its New tab page also shows “suggested content” which is like a MSN page with weather, news, and featured apps from Windows Store.

Disable Web Content on New Tab Page in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 edge_newtab_10122_1.png

In Microsoft Edge, you have an option not to show the New tab page when you open a new tab. Just head to the ellipsis icon at the top right then select Settings. In Settings panel, you’ll see the option “Open new tab with.” In the drop-down menu, select
    “Blank page” to disable New tab page.

Disable Web Content on New Tab Page in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 edge_newtab_10122_2.png

Disable Web Content on New Tab Page in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 edge_newtab_10122_3.png

How to disable suggested content in New tab page

Suggested content has your information at a glance: weather, national news, local news, and even featured apps from the Store. Sometimes you don’t want to see this cluster and wish to hide it. To do that, you need to open Settings via the ellipsis icon.
    Then select “Top sites” in the drop-down menu of “Open new tab with.”

Hope this information is helpful. Please feel free to reply in case you face any other issues with Windows in future.

Niranjan Manjhi, Oct 27, 2019
  4. LEOPEVA64 Win User

Change what New Tabs in Microsoft Edge Open with  

By the way, some of those group policies that appear there are not new, in the policies that are new says this:

This, for example, is not new:

LEOPEVA64, Oct 27, 2019
  5. Brink Win User
    Windows 10 build 10120: Microsoft introduces a 'new tab' page for Edge

Read more: http://www.neowin.net/news/windows-1...-page-for-edge

Brink, Oct 27, 2019
  6. 01KM Win User
    Edge new tab

Hello,

I've recently spent a couple of hours trying to set the New Tab to show content I want, not whatever mserfdom.com has chosen in their wisdom. Like Jack Thompson wrote way back in August 2015 -

"When I open a new tab:

• I DON'T want ‘"suggested content” which is like a MSN page with weather, news, and featured apps from Windows Store.’
    • I DON'T want a “Blank page”
    • I Do want the Google search page: google.com
    Admittedly, I’m new to Windows 10 and Windows Edge but it appears to me that Microsoft is making it very difficult (or impossible) to use non-Microsoft search
    engines or default to non-Microsoft web pages."

I have the exact same concerns and question. However, I'm not new to anything, unless perhaps it's the realisation you need your attitude button adjusted. Not replying for 10 months, you think that shows how much power you have and how professional you are? You're
    right. And you should be ashamed.

If what we are asking can't be done, fine, say that. But showing lack of respect by not replying is unacceptable, wherever you are from.

Thema:

1. Disable Web Content on New Tab Page in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Disable Web Content

2. Disable or Enable Video background on Edge new Tab page

in Windows 10 News
    Disable or Enable Video background on Edge new Tab page: [IMG]Microsoft has been focusing on its Edge browser heavily. As a result, the Edge browser is getting newer features from time to time, such as Bing AI, Video background, etc. In this post, we will show you how to Disable or Enable Video background on Edge’s new Tab page on...
  3. Edge Chromium New tab page

in Browsers and Email
    Edge Chromium New tab page: Just wanted to see some responses that do you think MS Edge will have an option to use a Blank page instead of that annoying MS search bar? Thats one of the reasons I switched to using Firefox. 181404
  4. MS Edge NEW TAB Content

in Windows 10 Customization
    MS Edge NEW TAB Content: I keep "Hiding" news feeds that I consider left wing propaganda, but they keep coming back, sites like CNN and its ilk. How can I make this "hide" option permanent? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ms-edge-new-tab-content/f1e20e7f-1b44-45c2-8bd7-7bcfdc0eeec2
  5. Will the new Microsoft Edge support the "http://" web pages?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Will the new Microsoft Edge support the "http://" web pages?: And will the new Microsoft Edge display ANSI .txt files in my mother tongue Czech? Thanks in advance! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/will-the-new-microsoft-edge-support-the-http-web/2fd93ef2-153f-4136-b3ba-f4b434b806d8
  6. Change New Tab Page Layout in the new Microsoft Edge

in Windows 10 News
    Change New Tab Page Layout in the new Microsoft Edge: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Microsoft has reengineered its Microsoft Edge browser and has moved it from EdgeHTML to the Chromium engine. This means that Google Chrome and the new Microsoft Edge will be powered by the same web engine. However, Microsoft has added some [...] This post...
  7. Opening a specific web page while I open a new tab In Microsoft Edge

in Browsers and Email
    Opening a specific web page while I open a new tab In Microsoft Edge: Hi In Microsoft Edge, how do I open a specific web page while I open a new tab? Thanks Bye 22716
  8. Ms edge new tab page.

in Browsers and Email
    Ms edge new tab page.: In windows 1607 ms edge does not have an option to make google.com the new tab page. Does anyone know how to do this. Henry Attachment 95508 59826
  9. Can I Disable video content on web pages?

in Browsers and Email
    Can I Disable video content on web pages?: I am on a metered internet connection with a limited amount of monthly data, so I get disgusted every time I want to read an article on a web page and a video starts downloading automatically. I want to read the article and not watch some stupid video, so I was wondering if...
  10. Share Web Pages in Microsoft Edge

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Share Web Pages in Microsoft Edge: How to: Share Web Pages in Microsoft Edge How to Share Web Pages in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 [img] Information Microsoft Edge is a new web browser that is available across the Windows 10 device family. It is designed for Windows 10 to be faster, safer, and...