Windows 10: Windows 10 Search Bar Question

Discus and support Windows 10 Search Bar Question in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hello! I really enjoy the little search bar in the taskbar, however it’s really annoying when I’m searching something & nothing in my PC comes up so... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/OmegaRejectz, Nov 14, 2019.

1. Windows 10 Search Bar Question

Hello! I really enjoy the little search bar in the taskbar, however it’s really annoying when I’m searching something & nothing in my PC comes up so it’ll search the web. Which is great... although using Edge isn’t. Am I able to change the search engine & browser those links open up in?

submitted by /u/OmegaRejectz
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/OmegaRejectz, Nov 14, 2019
  2. John Vil Win User

Windows 10 Search bar

Hello Tucker,

For us to provide you with the appropriate troubleshooting steps and assist you better, we would like to ask a few more information regarding your concern. Kindly answer the questions below:

• Were there any significant hardware/software changes done on your computer prior to this happening?
    • To clarify, when you say Windows 10 search bar, are you referring to Cortana's search field?
    • Are you encountering any error messages?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you tried?

We're looking forward for your response.

John Vil, Nov 14, 2019
  3. Windows 10 search question

Hi Steve,

Typing in the search box will provide suggestions and answers to your questions, and search results from your PC and the web. We would like to ask some questions for clarification:

• Did you make any changes on your PC before the issue started?
    • Have you tried searching different files and check if the issue persists?
    • Did you try to check if there available updates for your Windows 10?
    We also recommend that you follow these steps to run the
    Search and Indexing Troubleshooter to resolve issues with searching files in Windows 10:

• Go to Control Panel.
    • In the search box, type troubleshooter.
    • Click on Troubleshooting.
    • Click on View all.
    • Click Search and Indexing.
    Regards.

Nathaniel Mon, Nov 14, 2019
  4. Windows 10 Search Bar Question

Turn On or Off Search Suggestions in Address Bar of Microsoft Edge for Current User in Microsoft Edge Settings

How to Enable or Disable Search Suggestions in Address Bar of Microsoft Edge in Windows 10

Microsoft Edge is a new web browser that is available across the Windows 10 device family. It is designed for Windows 10 to be faster, safer, and compatible with the modern Web.

As you type in the address bar of Microsoft Edge, search suggestions appear in the address bar drop-down list by default.

This tutorial will show you how to enable or disable search suggestions in the Address bar of Microsoft Edge for your account or all users in Windows 10.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Turn On or Off Search Suggestions in Address Bar of Microsoft Edge for Current User in Microsoft Edge Settings
    • Option Two: Turn On or Off Search Suggestions in Address Bar of Microsoft Edge for Current User using a REG file
    • Option Three: Enable or Disable Search Suggestions in Address Bar of Microsoft Edge for All Users in Local Group Policy Editor
    • Option Four: Enable or Disable Search Suggestions in Address Bar of Microsoft Edge for All Users using a REG file

EXAMPLE: Search Suggestions in Address Bar of Microsoft Edge enabled and disabled

Windows 10 Search Bar Question [​IMG]

OPTION ONE
    Turn On or Off Search Suggestions in Address Bar of Microsoft Edge for Current User in Microsoft Edge Settings
    1. Open Microsoft Edge.

2. Click/tap on the Settings and more (Alt+X) button (3 dots), and click/tap on Settings. (see screenshot below)

3. Click/tap on Privacy & security on the left side, and turn on or off (default) Show search and site suggestions as a I type for what you want under Privacy on the right side. (see screenshot below)

OPTION TWO
    Turn On or Off Search Suggestions in Address Bar of Microsoft Edge for Current User using a REG file

*note The downloadable .reg files below will modify the DWORD value in the registry key below.

Code:
    ShowSearchSuggestionsGlobal DWORD

0 = Off
    1 = On

1. Do step 2 (on) or step 3 (off) below for what you want.

2. To Turn On Search Suggestions in Address Bar of Microsoft Edge for Current User
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Turn_ON_Show_search_and_site_suggestions_as_I_type_in_Microsoft_Edge_address_bar.reg

3. To Turn Off Search Suggestions in Address Bar of Microsoft Edge for Current User
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Turn_OFF_Show_search_and_site_suggestions_as_I_type_in_Microsoft_Edge_address_bar.reg

4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. If Microsoft Edge is currently open, then close and reopen the browser to apply.

8. If you like, you can now delete the downloaded .reg file.

OPTION THREE
    Enable or Disable Search Suggestions in Address Bar of Microsoft Edge for All Users in Local Group Policy Editor

*note You must be signed in as an administrator to do this option.

*note If this policy is enabled or disabled, it will override Option One and Option Two for all users.

*note The Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions.

All editions can use Option FOUR below.

1. Open the Local Group Policy Editor.

2. In the left pane of Local Group Policy Editor, navigate to the location below. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Microsoft Edge

3. In the right pane of Microsoft Edge in Local Group Policy Editor, double click/tap on the Configure search suggestions in Address bar policy to edit it. (see screenshot above)

4. Do step 5 (not configured), step 6 (disable), step 7 (enable) below for what you want.

5. To Not Configure Search Suggestions in Address Bar of Microsoft Edge for All Users
    A) Select (dot) Not Configured, click/tap on OK, and go to step 8 below. (see screenshot below)

6. To Disable Search Suggestions in Address Bar of Microsoft Edge for All Users
    A) Select (dot) Disabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 8 below. (see screenshot below)

7. To Always Enable Search Suggestions in Address Bar of Microsoft Edge for All Users
    A) Select (dot) Enabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 8 below. (see screenshot below)

8. You can close the Local Group Policy Editor if you like.

9. If Microsoft Edge is currently open, then close and reopen the browser to apply.

OPTION FOUR
    Enable or Disable Search Suggestions in Address Bar of Microsoft Edge for All Users using a REG file

*note You must be signed in as an administrator to do this option.

*note If this policy is enabled or disabled, it will override Option One and Option Two for all users.

*note The downloadable .reg files below will add and modify the DWORD value in the registry key below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\MicrosoftEdge\SearchScopes

ShowSearchSuggestionsGlobal DWORD

delete = Not Configured (default)
    0 = Disable
    1 = Enable

1. Do step 2 (not configured), step 3 (disable), step 4 (enable) below for what you want.

2. To Not Configure Search Suggestions in Address Bar of Microsoft Edge for All Users
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 5 below.

Default_Not_configured_Microsoft_Edge_search_suggestions.reg

3. To Disable Search Suggestions in Address Bar of Microsoft Edge for All Users
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 5 below.

Disable_Microsoft_Edge_search_suggestions.reg

4. To Always Search Suggestions in Address Bar of Microsoft Edge for All Users

Always_enable_Microsoft_Edge_search_suggestions.reg

5. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

6. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

7. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

8. If Microsoft Edge is currently open, then close and reopen the browser to apply.

9. If you like, you can now delete the downloaded .reg file.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

Shawn Brink, Nov 14, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 Search Bar Question

1. Windows 10 Search Bar Question - Similar Threads - Search Bar Question

2. Windows 10 search bar

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 search bar: Hi my name is Hasan Ahmed and I have been using Windows 10 PRO for 3-4 years and have a lot of experience. For some reason today I woke up and turned on my computer Lenovo Ideapad and opened my browser using the desktop shortcuts and then I tried to open Minecraft for Windows...
  3. Windows 10 Search Bar

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Search Bar: My search bar isn't working. So basically, every time i press on the search bar or click the windows icon the search bar doesn't work. Neither file explorer search bar, etc. Anyone know a fix? Tried restarting my computer several times. Even tried to factory reset my...
  4. Windows 10 search bar

in Cortana
    Windows 10 search bar: I used to be able to search the web with the search bar in the taskbar, but now it won't let me. If I try to, it will say no results. How do I fix this?[ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-search-bar/e5306fd1-7e97-47bb-b043-f31ffa973f92
  5. questions in search bar

in Cortana
    questions in search bar: most questions entered in search bar are replied to by various, unknown websites...not by Microsoft/Windows. How to discern which are safe to open? The questions all pertain to Microsoft/Windows system....
  6. Windows 10 Search Bar

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 Search Bar: Is there a way to switch from this normal search bar: [ATTACH] to this Cortana search bar?? [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-search-bar/92165eec-9a26-4659-a5b4-8c34f0540c57
  7. Search bar for Windows 10

in Cortana
    Search bar for Windows 10: Hello, my search bar for W10 doesn't work, i can't type anything. I've already tried the Microsoft support chat, the tachnician reinstalled my OS, but i didn't do anything. I ran Windows Defender, complete and offline, but it didn't acused anything. I don't know what to do...
  8. search bar windows 10 not searching

in Cortana
    search bar windows 10 not searching: Windows 10 did an update and now the the search bar at the bottom of the screen does this: a if I try to type in it, the window closes b the search box opens and is just black box with no information and the closes before I can type any information...
  9. Windows 10 Search Bar

in Cortana
    Windows 10 Search Bar: Hello, I can't type anything in my windows 10 search bar. Nothing happens! Does anyone know what I can do to fix this issue? Thanks to all for your assistance in this matter. Christine...
  10. Windows 10 Search Question

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Search Question: Sorry for asking about search here but I tried to find something on this but couldn't. When I do a Search Windows, I get limited results a few Best Match results, one folder and one or two documents. So where are the rest of the search results? Clicking on Search My Stuff...