Windows 10: Add or Remove Favorites from Quick Access in Windows 10

Discus and support Add or Remove Favorites from Quick Access in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Add or Remove Favorites from Quick Access in Windows 10 How to Add or Remove Favorites from Quick Access in Windows 10 [img]... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by aksalaymeh, Dec 6, 2014.

1. Add or Remove Favorites from Quick Access in Windows 10

How to: Add or Remove Favorites from Quick Access in Windows 10

How to Add or Remove Favorites from Quick Access in Windows 10

Add or Remove Favorites from Quick Access in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information Windows 10 replaced Favorites from previous Windows with Quick access. The Quick access page is the shortest route to files you've been working on and folders you often use. These are your frequent folders and recent files.

In Windows 10, File Explorer opens to Quick access by default which shows your Frequent folders and Recent files.
    • Frequent folders = Displays up to ten folders that you frequently opened on the system.
    • Recent files = Displays up to twenty files that you most recently opened.
    This tutorial will show you how to add or remove Favorites under Frequent folders in Quick access in File Explorer for all users in Windows 10.

Note When you add Favorites to Quick access, each user will have the contents of their "C:\Users\(user-name)\Links" folder included under Frequent folders in Quick access for only their account.

Deleting and item from the "C:\Users\(user-name)\Links" folder at either location will delete it from both.

EXAMPLE: Favorites added to Quick access

Here's How:

1. Do step 2, 3, or 4 below for what you would like to do.

2. To Add "Favorites" to Quick access in 32-bit Windows 10
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 5 below.

32-bit_Add_Favorites_to_Quick_access.reg

Download

3. To Add "Favorites" to Quick access in 64-bit Windows 10
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 5 below.

64-bit_Add_Favorites_to_Quick_access.reg

Download

4. To Remove "Favorites" from Quick access
    NOTE: This is the default setting.

Remove_Favorites_from_Quick_access.reg

Download
    5. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

6. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

7. If prompted, click on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

8. If the Quick access is currently open, then refresh (F5) it or close and open it to apply.

9. You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

aksalaymeh, Dec 6, 2014
  2. Shawn Brink, Dec 6, 2014
  3. Moving Files in Favorites using Windows 10

Hello,

Please be informed that when you open Explorer in Windows 7 you’ll see a list of Favorites in the Navigation Pane. In Windows 10 it is called Quick Access instead of Favorites.

Adding you favorite locations that you visit often is easy. While you’re in the folder you want to add, right-click on Favorites and select
    Add current location to Favorites.

If you’re in Windows 10 it’ll be called Quick Access instead of Favorites but it works the same way.

Hope the above information was helpful. If you need further information, feel free to write to us and we would be happy to help you further.

Thank you.

Sayan_Ghosh, Dec 6, 2014
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Add or Remove Favorites from Quick Access in Windows 10

Brink, Mar 24, 2015
  5. kevdawg Win User
    Shawn, Thanks for writing this. I see that this change will force my "Links/Favorites" to show again when I click "Quick Access" but is there no way to have them show in the pane on the left under Quick Access?

kevdawg, Aug 20, 2015
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Aug 20, 2015
  7. The problem I have with QuickAccess is that it mirrors the links from jumplists on explorer. I want my jump list folders and my navigation pane folders to be different, like they were in Windows 7.

Is there a way to just add the Favorites / Links folder back to the side of the navigation pane? And I don't mean just listed under quick access, but rather a separate button above it. I feel like it should be possible since OneDrive and Dropbox shove their stupid buttons on the side.

Delfofthebla, Sep 17, 2015
  8. Orerockon Win User

Lots of threads on this subject so I'm not sure where to post. The fix to add favorites to quick access does something useful, but not what I thought it would. I had nothing under Quick Access, it has always said if you open files we'll put them here or some such nonsense, I don't like it, I don't want to see it, I can't add anything to it, etc. Ditto with Recent Items, it shows so much junk that it's easier to just go to the folder rather than wade through an irrelevant list. The reg fix added "Recent Folders" to the very bottom of the explorer left bar, which is kinda like what was in the Win 7 explorer, so that is very useful indeed. BUT, I used my Favorites in Win 7 to keep a static list of all my frequently used folders, that only changed when I added a folder to it (navigate to folder, right click on Favorites, select Add to Favorites). Somehow Win 10 picked up the Favorites from Win 7, so it's still there, with my old folders linked. That doesn't work now, it wants to copy the entire folder and its contents to the Start Menu instead. Why this would be I don't know, I don't know why anyone would want to have a duplicate of a folder under the Start Menu. So, here's the solution that I stumbled on trying to get it to work the way it did in Win 7. There is probably an easier way to do it too.

In Explorer, right click on Favorites, open in a new window. This window will have "Library Tools on the menu. It opens up to Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Libraries\FAVORITES. Under Manage, click on Manage Library. Click on Add... in the box. Navigate to the folder you want to add, include folder, done. You're welcome *Smile

Orerockon, Sep 22, 2015
  9. unko Win User
    Thanks for this but why does it says "quick access" since it's actually "usual folders" (sorry for translation..)? I actually want my "links" shortcuts to show in the quick access pane just like Windows 7 did.. How do i do that?

unko, Dec 5, 2015
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello unko, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

It was name that since it's for having "quick access" to all of your pinned, frequent folders, and recent files at that location.

In previous Windows, it was named "Favorites" instead. I guess that getting confused with favorites for Internet Explorer, and why it was renamed and changed up a bit in Windows 10.

Brink, Dec 5, 2015
  11. unko Win User
    Thanks for the quick reply but you forgot the most important : How do i make these appear on the left pane like in W7? I have about 15 and i need them all here, some are folders shortcut, some are script of specific apps.. I use that daily. If it can't be done on 10, please tell me if 8.1 will. Thanks again!

12. unko Win User
    Didn't receive any replies since back then.. I'm back on 10, anniversary update/install, and now not only i still have this but favorites doesn't show up after applying the reg?!

13. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello unko, *Smile

The added Favorites will not show in the navigation pane under Quick Access, but only in the Quick Access window.

Brink, Aug 12, 2016
  14. unko Win User
    Thanks Brink. This is then useless to me. I want the folders AND shortcuts of my choice to show up in explorer left pane, so i can either access these or drop files/folder on them. How can i do that?

15. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Aug 13, 2016
Thema:

1. Add or Remove Favorites from Quick Access in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Add Remove Favorites

2. How to show or remove Quick access and Favorites from Navigation Pane of Explorer

in Windows 10 News
    How to show or remove Quick access and Favorites from Navigation Pane of Explorer: [ATTACH]If your Windows 10 File Explorer does not display Quick access or Favorites in the navigation pane, or you want to remove or hide them, […] This article How to show or remove Quick access and Favorites from Navigation Pane of Explorer first appeared on...
  3. Remove from Quick access

in Windows 10 Support
    Remove from Quick access: You guys have helped me with other technical problems so lets see if anyone can help with this one ! Cannot delete or remove from Quick access the 3 files that say recent files, i have tried uninstalling OneDrive & reinstalling which didn't work ! Any ideas on how to either...
  4. Add or Remove Favorites in Photos app in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove Favorites in Photos app in Windows 10: How to: Add or Remove Favorites in Photos app in Windows 10 How to Add or Remove Favorites in Photos app in Windows 10 The Photos app is included in Windows 10 by default. You can use the Photos app to view and edit your photos and videos, make movies, and create albums....
  5. Add or Remove Pin to Quick access Context Menu in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove Pin to Quick access Context Menu in Windows 10: How to: Add or Remove Pin to Quick access Context Menu in Windows 10 How to Add or Remove 'Pin to Quick access' on Context Menu in Windows 10 [img] Information Windows 10 replaced Favorites from previous Windows with Quick access. The Quick access page is the...
  6. Add or Remove Favorites from Navigation Pane in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove Favorites from Navigation Pane in Windows 10: How to: Add or Remove Favorites from Navigation Pane in Windows 10 How to Add or Remove Favorites in Navigation Pane of File Explorer in Windows 10 [img] Information Favorites in the navigation pane is a way to easily access items in your %UserProfile%/Links folder....
  7. Add or Remove Frequent folders from Quick access in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove Frequent folders from Quick access in Windows 10: How to: Add or Remove Frequent folders from Quick access in Windows 10 How to Add or Remove Frequent folders from Quick access in Windows 10 Windows 10 replaced Favorites from previous Windows with Quick access. The Quick access page is the shortest route to files...
  8. Add or Remove Recent Files from Quick Access in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove Recent Files from Quick Access in Windows 10: How to: Add or Remove Recent Files from Quick Access in Windows 10 [img] Information Windows 10 replaced Favorites from previous Windows with Quick access. The Quick access page is the shortest route to files you've been working on and folders you often use. These are...
  9. Add or Remove Registry Favorites in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove Registry Favorites in Windows: How to: Add or Remove Registry Favorites in Windows How to Add, Remove, Export, and Merge Registry Favorites in Windows [img] Information If you use the Registry Editor to make customizations, check the contents of a particular key, or make fixes, you can save the key...
  10. Add or Remove Folders from Favorites in Windows 10 Mail app

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove Folders from Favorites in Windows 10 Mail app: How to: Add or Remove Folders from Favorites in Windows 10 Mail app How to Add or Remove Folders from Favorites in Windows 10 Mail app The Mail and Calendar apps included with Windows 10 help you stay up to date on your email, manage your schedule and stay in touch with...