Windows 10: Add or Remove Frequent folders from Quick access in Windows 10

Discus and support Add or Remove Frequent folders from Quick access in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Add or Remove Frequent folders from Quick access in Windows 10 How to Add or Remove Frequent folders from Quick access in Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Edwin, Nov 18, 2014.

1. Edwin New Member

Add or Remove Frequent folders from Quick access in Windows 10

How to: Add or Remove Frequent folders from Quick access in Windows 10

How to Add or Remove Frequent folders from Quick access in Windows 10

Windows 10 replaced Favorites from previous Windows with Quick access. The Quick access page is the shortest route to files you've been working on and folders you often use. These are your frequent folders and recent files.

In Windows 10, File Explorer opens to Quick access by default which shows your Frequent folders and Recent files.
    • Frequent folders = Displays up to ten folders that you frequently opened on the system.
    • Recent files = Displays up to twenty files that you most recently opened.
    This tutorial will show you how to add or remove Frequent folders in Quick access in File Explorer for all users or only your account in Windows 10.

When you hide or remove Frequent folders in Quick access, it will also clear it's history except for the locations you pinned to Quick access.

If you set to hide Frequent folders and have folders pinned to Quick access, then Frequent folders will still show in Quick access until you unpin the folders.

Contents
    • Option One: Hide or Show "Frequent folders" in Quick Access for Your Account using File Explorer Options
    • Option Two: Hide or Show "Frequent folders" in Quick Access for Your Account using a REG file
    • Option Three: Add or Remove "Frequent folders" in Quick Access for All Users using a REG file

EXAMPLE: Quick access in Windows 10

Add or Remove Frequent folders from Quick access in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] Hide or Show "Frequent folders" in Quick Access for Your Account using File Explorer Options
    1 Open File Explorer Options.

2 Do step 3 or step 4 below for what you would like to do.

3. To Show "Frequent folders" in Quick access
    This is the default setting.

A) In the General tab under Privacy, check the Show frequently used folders in Quick access box, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)
    4. To Hide "Frequent folders" in Quick access
    A) In the General tab under Privacy, uncheck the Show frequently used folders in Quick access box, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

Add or Remove Frequent folders from Quick access in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION TWO [/i] Hide or Show "Frequent folders" in Quick Access for Your Account using a REG file
    1 Do step 2 or step 3 below for what you would like to do.

2. To Show "Frequent folders" in Quick access

A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Show_Frequent_folders_in_Quick_access.reg

Download
    3. To Hide "Frequent folders" in Quick access
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Hide_Frequent_folders_in_Quick_access.reg

Download
    4 Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5 Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6 When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7 If the Quick access is currently open, then refresh (F5) it or close and open it to apply.

8 You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

OPTION THREE [/i] Add or Remove "Frequent folders" in Quick Access for All Users using a REG file
    You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to do this option.

Removing frequent folders using this option will override what users have set in Option One and Option One above.

1 Do step 2, step 3, or step 4 below for what you would like to do.

2. To Add "Frequent folders" to Quick access in 32-bit Windows 10

A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 5 below.

32-bit_Add_Frequent_Folders_to_Quick_access.reg

Download
    3. To Add "Frequent folders" to Quick access in 64-bit Windows 10

A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 5 below.

64-bit_Add_Frequent_Folders_to_Quick_access.reg

Download
    4. To Remove "Frequent folders" from Quick access

Remove_Frequent_Folders_from_Quick_access.reg

Download
    5 Save the .reg file to your desktop.

6 Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

7 When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

8 If the Quick access is currently open, then refresh (F5) it or close and open it to apply.

9 You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Edwin, Nov 18, 2014

2. "you need permission to preform this action"

We are volunteers willing to help you try to resolve this issue.

You don't delete it there as that is only a virtual representation of the folder.

These should help :

How to Add or Remove Frequent folders from Quick access in Windows 10

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2712-add-re...

How to Pin or Unpin Locations from Quick access in Windows 10

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2893-pin-un...

Also, check the "Related Tutorials" at the end of those for more.

Please let us know the results and if you need further assistance.

SpiritX MS MVP, Nov 18, 2014
  3. Increase number of recent folders in quick access

Hi,

If you want a folder to show up in Quick access, right-click it and select
    Pin to Quick access
    as a workaround.

1. Open an Explorer window.

2. Click File in the top left corner.

3. Uncheck ‘Show frequently used folders in Quick access’.

4. Drag and drop the file or folder you want to add into the Quick Access window.

Remove recent files from Quick Access in Windows 10

Removing recent files from Quick Access is a little simpler. To remove resources, you do not have to turn it off.

1. Open an Explorer window if you closed it.

2. Right click on a file or folder and select ‘Remove from Quick Access’.

3. The resource should now disappear from the window.

If you need further insights into this issue, you might as well post this in the Feedback page via the inbuilt Feedback App in Windows 10.

Let us know if you have any questions. We are happy to help!

Joy Kemprai, Nov 18, 2014
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Nov 18, 2014
  5. Greetings from Holly Jerusalem
    Very nice
    But how to open to specific folder

aksalaymeh, Dec 6, 2014
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Aksalaymeh, *Smile

I'm not sure what you mean. What do you want to open to a specific folder?

Brink, Dec 6, 2014
  7. Greetings from Holly Jerusalem
    windows explorer to open to a specific folder

aksalaymeh, Dec 12, 2014
  8. Edwin New Member

Depends on the folder, which folder do you want to 'pin to the taskbar', I take it?

Edwin, Dec 12, 2014
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Aksalaymeh,

In addition, if you like, you could use OPTION ONE in the tutorial below to pin any folder to your taskbar that will always open to that folder in File Explorer. *Smile

Taskbar - Pin or Unpin a Folder - Windows 7 Help Forums

Brink, Dec 12, 2014
  10. gzt7d8 Win User
    Shawn,
    Option 1 doesn't appear to be working for me in Build 10041, have you been successful in turning off Quick Access in the File Explorer?

gzt7d8, Mar 18, 2015
  11. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hey mate,

Yep, it still works in build 10041.

Double check to see if you still see "Frequent folders" due to having folders pinned to Quick Access. *Smile

Quick access - Pin or Unpin Locations in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Brink, Mar 18, 2015
  12. rseiler Win User
    Having individual recent folders show up in quick access is a nice option to have, but I prefer the "recent places" approach of Win81, which was a single folder in favorites that you clicked that opened up to recent folders.

Do you know how to add that? It's easy to add "Recent items," as that's just a shortcut to:
    %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent Items

But Recent Places is apparently a filtered view of "Recent items" showing just folders.

rseiler, Mar 20, 2015
  13. Add or Remove Frequent folders from Quick access in Windows 10

Isn't there a directory where the links are stored similar to Taskbar and Start Menu?

Casey Stellar, Oct 19, 2015
  14. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Casey,

Here's the locations for them. *Smile

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3...set-clear.html

%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent Items

%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\AutomaticDestinations

%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\CustomDestinations

Brink, Oct 19, 2015
  15. Brink
    Brink New Member
    In addition. *Smile

How to Create a Recent Folders Shortcut in Windows 10

How to Create a Recent Items Shortcut in Windows 10

Brink, Oct 19, 2015
Thema:

1. Add or Remove Frequent folders from Quick access in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Add Remove Frequent

2. Can no longer reorder folders in "Frequent Folders" quick access

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can no longer reorder folders in "Frequent Folders" quick access: Until recently, I could just drag folders up and down to reorder them - now when I try to do so I only get the option to copy them to other folders and it's impossible to move them around on the Quick Access screen. To the best of my knowledge, I didn't change any settings or...
  3. Can no longer reorder folders in "Frequent Folders" quick access

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can no longer reorder folders in "Frequent Folders" quick access: Until recently, I could just drag folders up and down to reorder them - now when I try to do so I only get the option to copy them to other folders and it's impossible to move them around on the Quick Access screen. To the best of my knowledge, I didn't change any settings or...
  4. Can no longer reorder folders in "Frequent Folders" quick access

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Quick Access folder removed

Quick Access folder removed: I didn't know how to work with Quick Access and when I saw my file there - I requested file to be removed. Now I can not locate my file anywhere. Where do files go when removed from Quick Access....
  6. Recent folders / frequent folders / recent files / quick access

Recent folders / frequent folders / recent files / quick access: Ok, this is driving me mad. Until recently there was a fantastic feature in Windows called Recent Places (or something like that). It's no longer available and this must cost me 5 minutes per hour (for which I will invoice Microsoft.) Now there is the Quick Access menu,...
  7. Remove from Quick access

in Windows 10 Support
    Remove from Quick access: You guys have helped me with other technical problems so lets see if anyone can help with this one ! Cannot delete or remove from Quick access the 3 files that say recent files, i have tried uninstalling OneDrive & reinstalling which didn't work ! Any ideas on how to either...
  8. Add or Remove Pin to Quick access Context Menu in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove Pin to Quick access Context Menu in Windows 10: How to: Add or Remove Pin to Quick access Context Menu in Windows 10 How to Add or Remove 'Pin to Quick access' on Context Menu in Windows 10 [img] Information Windows 10 replaced Favorites from previous Windows with Quick access. The Quick access page is the...
  9. Add or Remove Favorites from Quick Access in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove Favorites from Quick Access in Windows 10: How to: Add or Remove Favorites from Quick Access in Windows 10 How to Add or Remove Favorites from Quick Access in Windows 10 [img] Information Windows 10 replaced Favorites from previous Windows with Quick access. The Quick access page is the shortest route to...
  10. Add or Remove Recent Files from Quick Access in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove Recent Files from Quick Access in Windows 10: How to: Add or Remove Recent Files from Quick Access in Windows 10 [img] Information Windows 10 replaced Favorites from previous Windows with Quick access. The Quick access page is the shortest route to files you've been working on and folders you often use. These are...