Windows 10: Backup and Restore Sticky Notes in Windows 10

Discus and support Backup and Restore Sticky Notes in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Backup and Restore Sticky Notes in Windows 10 How to Backup and Restore Sticky Notes in Windows 10 The Sticky Notes app is a preinstalled... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by SmileyPK, Dec 25, 2016.

1. SmileyPK Win User

Backup and Restore Sticky Notes in Windows 10

How to: Backup and Restore Sticky Notes in Windows 10

How to Backup and Restore Sticky Notes in Windows 10

The Sticky Notes app is a preinstalled UWP (Universal Windows Platform) app in Windows 10. This apps allows you to create and save notes to the desktop of your Windows 10 PC. Thanks to a new and improved design, added intelligence and Pen support, it is now easier than ever to quickly capture and add context to all your notes.

In Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10 version 1511 and earlier, your Sticky Notes are stored in the StickyNotes.snt database file located in the %AppData%\Microsoft\Sticky Notes folder.

Starting in Windows 10 Anniversary Update version 1607 and later, your Sticky Notes are now stored in the plum.sqlite database file located in the %LocalAppData%\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftStickyNotes_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalState folder.

If you like, you can backup your Sticky Notes, and be able to restore them to any account or Windows 10 PC.

This tutorial will show you how to backup and restore your Sticky Notes to any account on any Windows 10 PC.

CONTENTS:

EXAMPLE: Sticky Notes

Backup and Restore Sticky Notes in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] To Backup and Restore Sticky Notes Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10 version 1511 and earlier
    1. For how, see: How to Backup and Restore Sticky Notes in Windows 7 and Windows 8

OPTION TWO [/i] To Backup Sticky Notes in Windows 10 Anniversary Update version 1607 and later
    1. Sign in to the user account you want to backup Sticky Notes for.

2. Open File Explorer (Win+E).

3. Copy and paste the folder location below into the address bar of File Explorer, and press Enter.
    *Arrow %LocalAppData%\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftStickyNotes_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalState
    4. Copy the plum.sqlite file to where you like as a backup of your Sticky Notes. (see screenshot below)

5. You can now close File Explorer if you like.

OPTION THREE [/i] To Restore Sticky Notes in Windows 10 Anniversary Update version 1607 and later

*Warning Restoring a backup of Sticky Notes will replace any current Sticky Notes.
    1. Sign in to the user account you want to restore Sticky Notes for.

2. Close (end task) all instances of Sticky Notes (Microsoft.Notes.exe) in Task Manager. (see screenshots below)

3. Reset the Sticky Notes app.

4. Open File Explorer (Win+E).

5. Copy and paste the folder location below into the address bar of File Explorer, and press Enter.
    *Arrow %LocalAppData%\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftStickyNotes_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalState
    6. Copy and paste the backed up plum.sqlite file from Option Two above into the LocalState folder. (see screenshot below)

7. Click/tap on Replace the file in the destination. (see screenshot below)

8. You can now close File Explorer if you like.

9. Open the Sticky Notes app and sign in again to have your restored Sticky Notes appear.

OPTION FOUR [/i] To Restore Sticky Notes from Old "StickyNotes.snt" Format to Windows 10 Anniversary Update version 1607 and later

*note This option will show you how to convert your Sticky Notes from Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10 version 1511 and earlier using the old StickyNotes.snt database format to the new plum.sqlite database format and restore them in Windows 10 Anniversary Update version 1607 and later.

*Warning Restoring a backup of Sticky Notes will replace any current Sticky Notes.
    1. In Windows 10 Anniversary Update version 1607 and later, sign in to the user account you want to restore Sticky Notes for.

2. Close (end task) all instances of Sticky Notes (Microsoft.Notes.exe) in Task Manager. (see screenshots below)

3. Reset the Sticky Notes app.

4. Open File Explorer (Win+E).

5. Copy and paste the folder location below into the address bar of File Explorer, and press Enter.

6. Create a new folder named Legacy in the LocalState folder, and open the new Legacy folder. (see screenshot below)

7. Copy and paste the backed up StickyNotes.snt file from Option One above into the Legacy folder. (see screenshot below)

8. Rename the StickyNotes.snt file to ThresholdNotes.snt. (see screenshot below)

9. You can now close File Explorer if you like.

10. Open the Sticky Notes app and sign in again to have your Sticky Notes converted to the new plum.sqlite format and appear.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

SmileyPK, Dec 25, 2016
  2. Uday Krk Win User

Windows 10 Anniversary Update Sticky Notes recovery -- help

Hi,

When Compared with Sticky notes in older versions of windows operating system, the one that is used in windows 10 is different. The save location for Stickynotes and the format of the file is also different.

I wrote an article for this "
    Backup and Restore sticky Notes on Windows 7/8/8.1/10
    " (referring from some other articles on internet, after windows 10 anniversary update has been released). From this you can know procedure to backup and restore stickynotes in windows 10.

You can also restore older backups of sticky notes (which are from Windows 7,8, and 8.1) in the new windows 10 sticky notes app. Since that is out of the context here, refer to the article if you want.

Article for reference :

Step 1: Close the sticky notes app in your windows 10 PC / laptop if it is running.

Step 2: Go to this folder in your windows explorer.

%LocalAppData%\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftStickyNotes_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalState

Step 3: Chances are there , you might be seeing something like this. If not Please create a new folder and name it “Legacy”.

Step 4: Now copy and paste the StickyNotes.snt backup file you already have inside the “Legacy” folder. and rename it to “ThresholdNotes.snt”. This is how the legacy sticky notes .snt files from older generations of windows are converted
    / supported in windows 10.

Step 5: Now Just open your Sticky Notes app in windows 10 and you’ll see all your Notes from your backup are restored.

I tried it and it worked for me to restore all my sticky notes from windows 8 and also in windows 10 ( which i backedup, before i clean formatted my PC). I hope it helps everyone.

Uday Krk, Dec 25, 2016
  3. Uday Krk Win User
    how can i restore data in stickynotes on windows 10 latest?

Hi Merlin,

Hoping that you have taken backup of your sticky notes before reinstalling your windows, I'm giving you the link for an article here through which you can backup and restore stickynotes in windows 10.

And also, You can restore stickynote backups from older versions of windows (say stickynotes backup from windows 7 can be restored towindows 10 stickynotes App).

I Tried, it worked for me easily. Hope this helps you and others too.

Article for reference :

Have a great day !.. Backup and Restore Sticky Notes in Windows 10 :)

Uday Krk, Dec 25, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello Smiley, *Smile

It should, but I would recommend to backup your Sticky Notes using OPTION ONE first to be safe. This way you could use OPTION FOUR to restore them if needed.

Brink, Dec 25, 2016
  5. SmileyPK Win User
    Well, I manage about 4000 computers, so that's unrealistic. That's why I was asking whether it happens automatically during the upgrade...

SmileyPK, Dec 27, 2016
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    It should, but I would recommend to only do one computer to test and verify before doing the others.

Brink, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Backup and Restore Sticky Notes in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Backup Restore Sticky

2. Restore Sticky Notes from Backup on Windows 10 - 21H2 19044.1645

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Restore Sticky Notes from Backup on Windows 10 - 21H2 19044.1645: Hi,Trying to recover from inability to type in Sticky Notes, I tried resetting it viaSettings>Apps and Features>Sticky Notes>Resetand it deleted my Sticky notes. The typing problem was resolved with system image repair utilities and I'm now trying to recover my sticky notes...
  3. Restore Sticky Note

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Restore Sticky Note: I just updated the Sticky Note. Upon completion, I delete the shortcut on the bottom bar and the Sticky Note also disappears under Windows Start menu. Is there any way to restore it or reset it to previous version or original version? Thanks!...
  4. Restore Sticky Note

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Restore Sticky Note: I just updated the Sticky Note. Upon completion, I delete the shortcut on the bottom bar and the Sticky Note also disappears under Windows Start menu. Is there any way to restore it or reset it to previous version or original version? Thanks!...
  5. Restore Sticky Note

6. Sticky Notes Restore

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Sticky Notes Restore: Can someone help me find my Sticky Notes folder?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sticky-notes-restore/5cf1dc71-379f-403e-bdaf-7f7a0d115221
  7. Sticky notes restored

Sticky notes restored: If you have an account on sticky notes and reset the app ,the data will be saved or not? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sticky-notes-restored/e7a0898d-8298-4bd2-9f17-fbd7149fac2f
  8. Sticky Notes backup/restore

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Sticky Notes backup/restore: Hi. Has anyone been backing up and restoring Sticky Notes moder app from Windows 10 1709 to Windows 10 1809? Sticky Notes from version 2.1.18.0 to Sticky Notes version 3.1.46.0. I am unable to restore data. Copy whole Microsoft.MicrosoftStickyNotes_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalState...
  9. Sticky Notes Backup?

Sticky Notes Backup?: I tend to have a lot of Sticky Notes. Is there a way to back them up? Maybe to a Document file? Or, anywhere else? Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-winapps-appscat_tools/sticky-notes-backup/7cf04c4d-1fd6-4caf-8042-124e0ca81490
  10. Backup and Restore Sticky Notes app Settings in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Backup and Restore Sticky Notes app Settings in Windows 10: How to: Backup and Restore Sticky Notes app Settings in Windows 10 How to Backup and Restore Sticky Notes app Settings in Windows 10 The Sticky Notes app is a preinstalled UWP (Universal Windows Platform) app in Windows 10. This apps allows you to create and save notes...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. backup windows 10 sticky notes

2. phone app for windows phone sticky notes backup

3. trying to restore sticky notes to Windows 10 v.1809

4. backup windows 10 stickey notes,
  5. restore sticky note version 2.1.18.0 backup to 3.1.46.0-issues