Windows 10: Can not make any change to Start menu!

Discus and support Can not make any change to Start menu! in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I've just reinstalled windows today, and after all updates finished, I can not make any change to the Start menu except moving tiles that already be... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by nheolinkin, Jun 7, 2017.

1. Can not make any change to Start menu!

I've just reinstalled windows today, and after all updates finished, I can not make any change to the Start menu except moving tiles that already be there. When I add new app to start menu and move its tile... the start menu crashes and any change is reverted.

This is what I get in Event Log:
    And these are commands I tried:
    So is there any solution for me to fix this without reset windows?

:)

nheolinkin, Jun 7, 2017

2. Can not make any changes.

After downloading windows 10 I some how lost my administrative rights and now can not make any changes to my PC. When I follow instructions on how to change my account setting back it asks if I want to make changes and have to type in an administrative
    password word but does not give me a box to type. Please Help...!!!!

Adam_Butler1980, Jun 7, 2017
  3. Can not make any changes.

Yes have a MS account. Trying to make it so I don't have to have a password starting up computer or waking it up. And any other settings I try to change, brings me to a window asking me enter admin. password but nowhere to type password.

Adam_Butler1980, Jun 7, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member
  5. nheolinkin, Jun 7, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    I would imagine you may be struggling with the need to swap users in the first one, but that's only a guess.

Remember to click on the links for further guidance.

Have you installed any programs or made any configuration changes?

I wouldn't expect you to have such problems having just installed Windows, nor should there be a need to run the series of commands that you did.

If you create a new user for test purposes, how does the start menu behave?

dalchina, Jun 7, 2017
  7. It really works *chuckle. Thanks for your kindly help.

But I was wondering... is this error my fault or just windows update messing it up.
    Only thing I do after windows update is installing Chrome and change only one setting in Group policy called "Turn off consumer experiences" (to stop windows from installing some weird apps)

So what's up with this error? Does the EventLog I mentioned in the first post tell anything? If not, then where should I get the log file? I really would like to know that.

Thanks!

nheolinkin, Jun 7, 2017
  8. dalchina New Member

Can not make any change to Start menu!

Hi, that's good- you're fortunate indeed. (Do you mean using the tutorial worked, or creating a new user- two different things?)

You'd only possibly learn more about the log by researching elements of it. Beyond the obvious- that sthg related to tiles is failing, no.

"Turn off consumer experiences" - may be linked, as the log refers to ShellExperienceHost.exe

I suppose a rather obvious observation is if a clean install is failing and the hardware is ok, to think what you have changed.

dalchina, Jun 7, 2017
  9. I mean the first tutorial you gave me is worked. My start menu is working normal now.

This is the only reason I can think about cause' I changed not thing to the fresh-new system except this.

nheolinkin, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Can not make any change to Start menu!

1. Can not make any change to Start menu! - Similar Threads - change Start menu

2. Any way to change tile colors in the start menu?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Any way to change tile colors in the start menu?: I just installed the 20H2 version and I'm using the fullscreen start menu (like 8.1) and now the tiles are grey instead of my theme color in dark mode... any way to change it? maybe through regedit or a mod? submitted by /u/Jaylay99 [link] [comments]...
  3. Start Menu Changed

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start Menu Changed: How do I get out of this windows 10 start menu? It's on the left of the screen and the desktop image is muted. I have the windows 7 classic shell but it doesn't work like before I updated windows. [ATTACH]...
  4. can you change the slideshow on start menu?

can you change the slideshow on start menu?: is it possible to change the folder/album that the photos app on the start menu uses for it's live tile slide show? submitted by /u/venzo2704 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/jeh8cj/can_you_change_the_slideshow_on_start_menu/
  5. how can i make translucent start menu?

how can i make translucent start menu?: I want to have the windows 10 start menu translucent, but all the guides and videos that I see are outdated, do not work or is to make the taskbar transparent (which does not interest me). If you know what can be done to achieve that effect or you cannot directly, it would be...
  6. Are there any alternatives to the Start Menu?

Are there any alternatives to the Start Menu?: I love having my icons available but recently I've clicked on Auto-Hide taskbar and positioned it on the left side of the screen. it's great having that extra clean space but it has it's issues like not always auto-hiding and staying open and when I've moved the mouse away...
  7. Can changing the MAC-address make any problems?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can changing the MAC-address make any problems?: Can changing the MAC-address make any problems? And how could I do it best? Is there any (portable) program doing such? I want to register with Google for an account, gmail, without giving Google my telephone number it asks for. 125950
  8. Can changing the MAC-address make any problems?

in Windows 10 Support
    Can changing the MAC-address make any problems?: Can changing the MAC-address make any problems? And how could I do it best? Is there any (portable) program doing such? I want to register with Google for an account, gmail, without giving Google my telephone number it asks for. 125950
  9. How To Change Any Folder to Any Color in Start Menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    How To Change Any Folder to Any Color in Start Menu: Hello. Is there a way to customize folder color in full screen start menu? I don't wanna change all of them. I wanna color any folder too any color. Thanks. 11863
  10. You can make the type on the start menu larger.

in Windows 10 Support
    You can make the type on the start menu larger.: Hi This doesn't actually give you a lot of choices buy it will make the type bigger. Go to PC Settings, select the Display tab, at the bottom there is the More Options, option. Set it to Larger and the type on the Start Menu will get a lot bigger. I'd rather have...