Windows 10: Change Desktop Icon Spacing in Windows 10

Discus and support Change Desktop Icon Spacing in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Change Desktop Icon Spacing in Windows 10 How to Change Desktop Icon Horizontal and Vertical Spacing in Windows 10 [img] Information... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by f14tomcat, Dec 6, 2015.

1. f14tomcat Win User

Change Desktop Icon Spacing in Windows 10

How to: Change Desktop Icon Spacing in Windows 10

How to Change Desktop Icon Horizontal and Vertical Spacing in Windows 10

Change Desktop Icon Spacing in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information Icon horizontal spacing is for how wide (left/right) the desktop icon will be. The wider it is, the more text that will display for the icon's name without it having to be highlighted.

Icon vertical spacing is for how much vertical (up/down) empty space there is inbetween the icons on your desktop to separate them with.

This tutorial will show you how to change the horizontal and vertical spacing of the icons on your desktop to what you want in Windows 10.

EXAMPLE: Desktop Icon Horizontal and Vertical Spacing

Note This is just an example to help show what your desktop icons can look like with different horizontal and vertical spacing settings when highlighted and not highlighted. The settings you use below will determine how much more or less space your icons will have.

Here's How:

1. Press the Win+R keys to open the Run dialog, type regedit, and click/tap on OK to open Registry Editor.

2. If prompted by UAC, then click/tap on Yes.

3. In Registry Editor, navigate to the location below. (see screenshots below steps 4A and 5A)
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics

4. To Change the Desktop Icon "Horizontal" Spacing
    A) In the right pane of WindowMetrics, double click/tap on IconSpacing to modify it. (see screenshot below)

B) Type in a value between -480 to -2730, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

Note The default value is -1128. The minimum amount of space is -480, and the maximum is -2730.

5. To Change the Desktop Icon "Vertical" Spacing
    A) In the right pane of WindowMetrics, double click/tap on IconVerticalSpacing to modify it. (see screenshot below)

B) Type in a value between -480 to -2730, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

Note The default value is -1128. The minimum amount of space is -480, and the maximum is -2730.

6. When finished, close Registry Editor.

7. sign in to apply.

8. You may need to repeat the tutorial a few times until you have each of the desktop icon horizontal and vertical spacing values set just how you like it.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

f14tomcat, Dec 6, 2015

2. Desktop icon spacing in Windows 10

Can the horizontal and vertical spacing for desktop icons be changed in windows 10?

BobbyMcDonell, Dec 6, 2015
  3. Sumit Dhiman2, Dec 6, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Yep, that's a good one for the icon size. *Smile

Brink, Dec 6, 2015
  5. Ztruker Win User
    Just found this which uses DesktopOK to change the spacing graphically. I use DesktopOK to remember Desktop icon positions anyway so being able to adjust spacing using the same program is great,

Customize icon spacing on the windows 10 desktop

Ztruker, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Change Desktop Icon Spacing in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Change Desktop Icon

2. Desktop icon grid spacing suddenly changed size Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop icon grid spacing suddenly changed size Windows 10: I was working with my folders, right-clicked on one of the files and chose "Properties" to look at the date of the file.Windows gave the spinning circle, hesitated, and bam, my folders were all closed.I went back to the desktop to reopen the folders I'd been using and...
  3. Desktop icon grid spacing suddenly changed size Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop icon grid spacing suddenly changed size Windows 10: I was working with my folders, right-clicked on one of the files and chose "Properties" to look at the date of the file.Windows gave the spinning circle, hesitated, and bam, my folders were all closed.I went back to the desktop to reopen the folders I'd been using and...
  4. Desktop icon grid spacing suddenly changed size Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Desktop Icon Spacing . . .

Desktop Icon Spacing . . .: My computer, is a Dell laptop. Running Windows 10 Pro My desktop icons, are very far apart. I want to get them, closer. Here,'is the way to do it, by editing the registry. =============================== regedit Hkey_current_user control_panel Desktop WindowsMetric...
  6. Windows 10 Desktop Icons Awkwardly Spaced

Windows 10 Desktop Icons Awkwardly Spaced: Recently, my computer got stuck in an automatic repair loop and had to be fixed. After receiving my computer back, I had to reinstall everything and re-install all my data. In this process, I noticed that my desktop icons are rather... awkwardly spaced apart and I cannot seem...
  7. desktop icon spacing

desktop icon spacing: I keep having desktop spacing problems. I have down regedit in registry fix many times, but it keeps coming back I am using win 10 with edge. Is there anupdate I need to load that fixes this problem?...
  8. Desktop icon spacing

Desktop icon spacing: Is there a way to change desktop icon spacing with windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-icon-spacing/a5f2b68d-e5a4-4303-b6ce-d8fdf91e8708
  9. Cannot change Windows 10 desktop icon spacing.

Cannot change Windows 10 desktop icon spacing.: The tried and true method that worked for Vista and 7 does not seem to work with my Windows 10…using regedit then changing HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics values for IconSpacing and IconVerticalSpacing which must be between -480 and -2750. I have...
  10. Desktop icon spacing

Desktop icon spacing: I'm used to tweaking the values in HKCU\ControlPanel\Desktop\WindowsMetrics\Icon Spacing in previous version of Windows, but it appears to work a bit differently in Win10. Changing the Icon Spacing from the default of -1560 to, say -2000, gives more room for the icon title...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 change icon spacing

2. icon spacing windows 10

3. windows icon spacing windows 10

4. Change Desktop Icon Spacing in Windows 10,
  5. desktop icon spacing,
  6. Adjust Vertical Icon Spacing Windows 10