Windows 10: Change Internet Time Server in Windows

Discus and support Change Internet Time Server in Windows in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Change Internet Time Server in Windows How to Change Internet Time Server in Windows Your PC's clock is used to record the time whenever... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Arnab_824, Jul 4, 2018.

1. Arnab_824 Win User

Change Internet Time Server in Windows

How to: Change Internet Time Server in Windows

How to Change Internet Time Server in Windows

Your PC's clock is used to record the time whenever you create or modify files on your PC. You can change the clock's time zone[/b].

You can synchronize your PC's clock with an Internet time server. This means that the clock on your PC is updated to match the clock on the time server, which can help ensure that the clock's time on your PC is accurate. Your clock is typically automatically updated once a week and needs to be connected to the Internet for the synchronization to occur.

This tutorial will show you how to change the Internet time server (NTP server) used to synchronize your clock in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10.

*Warning You must be signed in as an administrator to change the Internet time server.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Change Internet Time Server in Control Panel
    • Option Two: Change Internet Time Server in Registry Editor

OPTION ONE [/i] Change Internet Time Server in Control Panel
    1. Open the Control Panel (icons view), and click/tap on the Date and Time icon.

2. Click/tap on the Internet Time tab, and click/tap on the Change settings button. (see screenshot below)

*note If your PC is on a domain, then you will not have an Internet Time tab. Your clock will automatically synchronize with the domain controller instead.

Change Internet Time Server in Windows [​IMG]

3. Check the Synchronize with an Internet time server box. (see screenshot below)

4. Select an available Internet time server you want in the drop menu, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

*note If you like, you can type a name of an Internet time server from the list at the Microsoft link below to add and use instead.

A list of the Simple Network Time Protocol (SNTP) time servers that are available on the Internet

5. Click/tap on OK, and close the Control Panel if you like. (see screenshot below)

OPTION TWO [/i] Change Internet Time Server in Registry Editor
    1. Press the Win+R keys to open Run, type regedit into Run, and click/tap on OK to open Registry Editor.

2. Navigate to the key below in the left pane of Registry Editor. In the right pane, make note of the string value number (ex: "1") for the time server (ex: "time.windows.com") you want to use. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\DateTime\Servers

3. In the right pane of the Servers key, double click/tap on the (Default) string value to modify it. (see screenshot below)

4. Type the string value number (ex: "1") for the time server (ex: "time.windows.com") you want to use from step 2, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

5. Navigate to the key below in the left pane of Registry Editor. Make note of the string value number (ex: "1") for the time server (ex: "time.windows.com") you want to use. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\w32time\Parameters

6. In the right pane of the Parameters key, double click/tap on the NtpServer string value to modify it. (see screenshot above)

7. Change the time server (ex: "time.windows.com,0x9") value with the time server (ex: "time.windows.com") you want to use from step 2 without changing the end of the value (ex: "time.windows.com,0x9"), and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

8. You can now close Registry Editor.

9. Either restart the computer to apply.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Arnab_824, Jul 4, 2018
  2. John Sarc Win User

Windows fails to synchronize with internet time - it times out

Hi,

You might have a different Date and Time configuration that's why your Windows fails to synchronize with
    Internet Time. To have this checked, try to change the server in your Internet Time Settings by following the steps below:

• Go to Control Panel > Date and Time.
    • Click on the Internet Time tab: then, click on Change settings.
    • Try to change or choose the Server, tick on the Update now, and click on
      OK.

Let us know the results after following the resolution provided.

John Sarc, Oct 27, 2019
  3. tfwul Win User
    Synchronize Clock with an Internet Time Server in Windows 10  

With me the Windows time is about 2-3 minutes off.

I did try to resync
    Control Panel\Clock, Language and Region->Tab Internet Time change settings
    using both time.windows.com and time.nist.gov
    no change

then w32tm /resync
    then set services.msc windows time->automatic

still no change.

didn't go thru the steps of Joanne: would not know where to find this 'SpecialPollInterval'-thing.

discovered this 'wrong windows time' as I normally set all clocks and my wristwatch to Windows.
    Updated all times when changing from Feb. 29 to march 01 and started missing the news on the radio and tv.

Will not be using Windows time anymore.

=

tfwul, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Rhen Pal Win User

Windows time is wrong

Hi,

We suggest that you follow these steps:

• Press Windows+X and click on
      Control Panel.
    • On the left hand side click on Clock, Language and Region.
    • Click on Change time zone.
    • And then click on the tab Internet Time and click on
      Change settings.
    • Check the box Synchronize with an internet time server
      and also select the option time.windows.com
      from the drop down and click on OK and check if the issue persists.

Regards.

Rhen Pal, Oct 27, 2019
  5. firewine Win User
    Windows Internet time server is wrong

I think the cause of the issue is the faulty Windows Internet time server. Please make Microsoft aware of the issue.

FYI,

• It's the first time I encountered the issue.
    • I didn't make any changes to my PC. There was a cumulative update on March 31, but my PC clock was fine afterwards (Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB4015438))
    • I'm not getting an error message. The time is wrong.

firewine, Oct 27, 2019
  6. Consistent change of clock time

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand that the time keeps on changing. We will assist you to resolve the issue.

To assist you better, I would like to know the troubleshooting steps that you have performed.

I also suggest you to sync the time zone with internet time zone and check if it helps.

• Click on date and Time from the action bar.
    • Click on Add clocks for different time zone.
    • Click on Internet Time Tab.
    • Change according to your preference.
    Hope the information helps. Let us know if you need further assistance. We will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Krishna Prasobh V, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

1. Change Internet Time Server in Windows - Similar Threads - Change Internet Server

2. can i change time in windows server 2012?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    can i change time in windows server 2012?: dear,My question is, in our company, in client system time showing 2:56, and actual time is 3:10. If i change time so our company data will lost or not?...
  3. how to change DNS server time

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to change DNS server time: how to change DNS server time https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-change-dns-server-time/0d028788-7e51-44c1-8ce4-22379b2e2035
  4. how to change DNS server time

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to change DNS server time: how to change DNS server time https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-change-dns-server-time/0d028788-7e51-44c1-8ce4-22379b2e2035
  5. Synchronizing internet time servers

in Windows 10 Customization
    Synchronizing internet time servers: Hello, I am trying to sync computers to the internet time server time.nist.gov. I have created a script where a registry key has been updated to point to the proper server and it works but the time does not automatically synchronize to it. Is there a way to automate this...
  6. Can not change the internet time server

Can not change the internet time server: Dear all, I have checked many sources including MS official pages. They claim that the list of time servers can be modified by entering a new time server e.g. ntp11.admin.ch in the field of the dialogueDate and Time > Internet Time > Change settings… When entering any...
  7. internet keeps on changing servers

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    internet keeps on changing servers: yesterday my power went out for a second, and it messed up the modem I had to reset it, but then that seemed to mess up the router, I tried setting the modem again but that didn't work, so I just used ethernet directly from the modem for the day, the internet did seem a...
  8. Cannot change settings for Internet Time server on Win10 PC

Cannot change settings for Internet Time server on Win10 PC: Windows 10 Home version 1803 OS Build 17134.590 I do have admin rights on my Win 10 PC but get "Unable to continue - You do not have permission to perform this task" when I click on Change settings in Date and Time --> Internet Time I have tried using Administrator...
  9. Add and Remove Internet Time Servers in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add and Remove Internet Time Servers in Windows: How to: Add and Remove Internet Time Servers in Windows How to Add and Remove Internet Time Servers in Windows Your PC's clock is used to record the time whenever you create or modify files on your PC. You can change the clock's time zone[/b]. You can synchronize...
  10. Synchronize Clock with an Internet Time Server in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Synchronize Clock with an Internet Time Server in Windows 10: How to: Synchronize Clock with an Internet Time Server in Windows 10 How to Synchronize Clock with an Internet Time Server in Windows 10 Your PC's clock is used to record the time whenever you create or modify files on your PC. You can change the clock's time zone[/b]....