Windows 10: Change Shortcut Name Extension Template in Windows

Discus and support Change Shortcut Name Extension Template in Windows in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Change Shortcut Name Extension Template in Windows How to Change Default Shortcut Name Extension Template in Windows 7, 8, and 10 [img]... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by tomdickharri, Jan 2, 2016.

1. Change Shortcut Name Extension Template in Windows

How to: Change Shortcut Name Extension Template in Windows

How to Change Default Shortcut Name Extension Template in Windows 7, 8, and 10

Change Shortcut Name Extension Template in Windows [​IMG]
    Information A shortcut is a link to an item (such as a file, folder, or app) on your PC.

When you right click or press and hold on a file, folder, or drive and click tap on either Create shortcut or Send to -> Desktop (create shortcut), a shortcut to that file, folder or drive will be created with the - Shortcut extension at the end of the filename by default.

This tutorial will show you how to change the shortcut name extension template to what you want for your account in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10.

Note This will only affect shortcuts that you create afterwards, and will not affect shortcuts that already have the - Shortcut file name extension.

EXAMPLE: Shortcut name extension template

Here's How:

1. Press the Win+R keys to open Run, type regedit, and press Enter.

2. If prompted by UAC, click/tap on Yes.

3. In Registry Editor, browse to the key at the location below. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\NamingTemplates

Note If you do not have a NamingTemplates key (not there by default), then right click on the Explorer key, click/tap on New, click/tap on Key, type NamingTemplates, and press Enter.

4. In the right pane of the NamingTemplates key, double click/tap on the ShortcutNameTemplate string value to modify it. (see screenshot above)

Note If you do not have a ShortcutNameTemplate value (not there by default), then right click or press and hold on an empty area in the right pane of the NamingTemplates key, click/tap on New, click/tap on String Value, type ShortcutNameTemplate, and press Enter.

To undo this custom shortcut name extension template, you would just need to delete the ShortcutNameTemplate string value.

5. Type the value data below you want to use as the default shortcut extension name template, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

(To remove "- Shortcut" extension)
    *Arrow "%s.lnk"

(For custom extension name)
    *Arrow "%s - Extension Name.lnk"

Note Substitute Extension Name in the value data above with the actual extension name you want instead.

For example: "%s - Link.lnk"

6. When finished, you can close Registry Editor if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

tomdickharri, Jan 2, 2016
  2. KR1968 Win User

How to stop Windows 10 from optimizing directory displays

If there is a certain threshold of pictures or audio files or videos exist in any directory, Windows changes how my files are sorted. I can appreciate this as useful for some people, but in my case I never-ever-ever-ever want my files to be displayed as
    anything but files. It gets difficult managing media when I can't even see the file size, sort by extension, etc. So how can I deactivate this feature in Windows 10?

Note: changing the columns to what I want and applying this template to all subfolders doesn't work. Neither does changing all optimization style templates to name/date/type/size. After a few happy days, Windows will decide that I really didn't want that
    and change it all back. Grr.

Thanks!

KR1968, Jan 2, 2016
  3. Help for a rookie 3120 Classic user please

You can't do that but you can compromise by creating and saving message template with your name at the end and creating all your messages from that template but I don't think you can set a shortcut to the template itself for your standby screen so getting
    to the the point where you actually start typing in your messages will now be a few extra clicks

no1_slumko, Jan 2, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Change Shortcut Name Extension Template in Windows

Hello tomdickharri, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

Shortcuts do not have the ".lnk" file extension showing by default.

This tutorial will let you remove the "- Shortcut" name extension to only have the file name showing.

Brink, Jan 2, 2016
  5. I'll try to explain with an example...
    I create a shortcut to 'runthisprogram.exe' and get 'runthisprogram.exe.lnk' (I've already suppressed the 'shortcut' bit). I don't want the file extension in the name!!!!! i.e. runthisprogram.lnk (by the way, the lnk bit can be seen in programs like 'BulkRename'). It's so easy in XP (as are so many other things).

tomdickharri, Jan 2, 2016
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    They don't show in File Explorer if you wanted to use it instead. Otherwise, you'll have to look to see if that program has a setting to not show them.

Brink, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Change Shortcut Name Extension Template in Windows

1. Change Shortcut Name Extension Template in Windows - Similar Threads - Change Shortcut Name

2. Automatically Change Parent Folder Name in Shortcut Path

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Automatically Change Parent Folder Name in Shortcut Path: Is there a way in the shortcut path to automatically default to the current or new parent folder? I didn't have much luck when googling a solution, unfortunately.For example, I have a folder with multiple subfolders that are needed for each new request, and I copy those to a...
  3. Changing a file's extension: disabling the "If you change a file name extension, the file...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Changing a file's extension: disabling the "If you change a file name extension, the file...: Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.19042.867] is there a registry key to get rid of it now ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/changing-a-files-extension-disabling-the-if-you/dc219745-91fb-4c6b-9821-76fa22cf20c9
  4. Shortcut for changing multiple file names

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Shortcut for changing multiple file names: Is there anyway to highlight multiple files and edit their names without having to individually right click and rename each file? Edit: or even just a quicker way to rename a single file like a key combination submitted by /u/DankDoobies420 [link] [comments]...
  5. How can i change folders name to extension names?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How can i change folders name to extension names?: So i have a folder with over 300 files which have the wrong names but in each folder there are .mod files which are the correct names, changing them 1 by 1 takes way too long, so is there a way to rename them to the correct name in a bulk? submitted by /u/MK_Madness...
  6. Cannot open pictures; names & extensions have changed

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot open pictures; names & extensions have changed: These used to be pictures. I can't open them. I don't know how this happened. HELP! [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-open-pictures-names-extensions-have-changed/221d31a7-bd2f-4d4c-9aba-17864761ba62"
  7. Change Copy Name Extension Template in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Copy Name Extension Template in Windows: How to: Change Copy Name Extension Template in Windows [img] Information When you copy a file or folder to the same location, a copy of that file or folder will be created with the - Copy extension at the end of the filename by default. This tutorial will show you how...
  8. Change New Folder Name Template in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change New Folder Name Template in Windows: How to: Change New Folder Name Template in Windows How to Change Default New Folder Name Template in Windows A folder is a location where you can store your files. You can create any number of folders and even store folders inside other folders (subfolders). When you...
  9. Change Folder Template in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Folder Template in Windows 10: How to: Change Folder Template in Windows 10 How to Change the Template of a Drive, Folder, or Library in Windows 10 Windows 10 includes five built-in templates that you can select to optimize the view of your drives, folders, and libraries for General Items, Documents,...
  10. Turn On or Off Shortcut Name Extension in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Shortcut Name Extension in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off Shortcut Name Extension in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off 'Shortcut' Name Extension for New Shortcuts in Windows 10 [img] Information When you right click or press and hold on a file, folder, or drive and click tap on either Create shortcut or...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 shortcutnametemplate