Windows 10: Change Video Playback Settings in Windows 10

Discus and support Change Video Playback Settings in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Change Video Playback Settings in Windows 10 How to Change Video Playback Settings in Windows 10 Starting with Windows 10 build 16215,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Apr 27, 2018.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Change Video Playback Settings in Windows 10

How to: Change Video Playback Settings in Windows 10

How to Change Video Playback Settings in Windows 10

Starting with Windows 10 build 16215, new video playback settings have been added. Microsoft also added some battery settings for you to decide whether you would prefer to optimize video streaming for battery usage or video quality.

Some apps use the video platform that's built into Windows 10. These include Universal Windows Platform (UWP) apps that come with Windows 10, such as Microsoft Edge, Photos, and Movies & TV, as well as many third-party video apps you get from Windows Store (for example, Hulu, Netflix, and Vudu). For these apps, you can control video playback using the video playback settings in Windows 10.

This tutorial will show you how to change the video settings for apps that use the video playback platform that is built into Windows 10.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Change All Video Playback Settings in Settings
    • Option Two: To Change Video Playback Settings using a REG file
    • Option Three: To Change Video Playback Battery Options using a BAT file
    • Option Four: To Change Video Playback Battery Options in Power Options

OPTION ONE [/i] To Change All Video Playback Settings in Settings
    1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the Apps icon.

2. Click/tap on Video playback on the left side, and change the settings below to what you want. (see screenshots below)
    A) Turn on or off Adjust video based on lighting.

*note Turning on Adjust video based on lighting will add the Don't adjust video based on lighting when on battery option if you have Optimize for battery life selected under Battery options.

B) Turn on or off Automatically process video to enhance it.

*note Turning on Automatically process video to enhance it will add the Don't automatically process video when on battery option if you have Optimize for battery life selected under Battery options.

C) Check (on) or uncheck (off) I prefer video to play at a lower resolution.

*note Checking I prefer video to play at a lower resolution can help save network bandwidth.

Unchecking I prefer video to play at a lower resolution will add the I prefer video to play at a lower resolution when on battery option if you have Optimize for battery life selected under Battery options.

D) Select Optimize for battery life or Optimize for video quality in the Battery options drop down for what you want when watching movies and videos on battery power.

*note If you select Optimize for battery life you can also check or uncheck Don't adjust video based on lighting when on battery, Don't automatically process video when on battery and/or I prefer video to play at a lower resolution when on battery depending on what you set above.

Change Video Playback Settings in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION TWO [/i] To Change Video Playback Settings using a REG file
    1. Do the steps below for what video playback settings you want to change.
    • step 2 Adjust video based on lighting
    • step 3 Automatically process video to enhance it
    • step 4 I prefer video to play at a lower resolution
    2. To Turn On or Off "Adjust video based on lighting"
    *note Turning on Adjust video based on lighting will add the Don't adjust video based on lighting when on battery option if you have Optimize for battery life selected under Battery options.

The downloadable .reg files below will modify the DWORD value below in the registry key below.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\VideoSettings

EnableOutsideModeFeature DWORD

0 = Off
    1 = On

A) Click/tap on the Download button of the file you want below, and go to step 5 below.

Turn_ON_Adjust_video_based_on_lighting.reg

Download

OR

Turn_OFF_Adjust_video_based_on_lighting.reg

Download

3. To Turn On or Off "Automatically process video to enhance it"
    *note Turning on Automatically process video to enhance it will add the Don't automatically process video when on battery option if you have Optimize for battery life selected under Battery options.

The downloadable .reg files below will modify the DWORD value below in the registry key below.

EnableAutoEnhanceDuringPlayback DWORD

0 = Off
    1 = On

A) Click/tap on the Download button of the file you want below, and go to step 5 below.

Turn_ON-Automatically_process_video_to_enhance_it.reg

Download

OR

Turn_OFF-Automatically_process_video_to_enhance_it.reg

Download

4. To Turn On or Off "I prefer video to play at a lower resolution"
    *note Turning on (check) I prefer video to play at a lower resolution can help save network bandwidth.

Turning off (uncheck) I prefer video to play at a lower resolution will add the I prefer video to play at a lower resolution when on battery option if you have Optimize for battery life selected under Battery options.

AllowLowResolution DWORD

0 = Off
    1 = On

Turn_ON_I_prefer_video_to_play_at_a_lower_resolution.reg

Download

OR

Turn_OFF_I_prefer_video_to_play_at_a_lower_resolution.reg

Download
    5. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

6. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

7. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

8. You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

OPTION THREE [/i] To Change Video Playback Battery Options using a BAT file
    1. Do step 2 (Optimize for battery life) or step 3 (Optimize for video quality) below for what you want when watching movies and videos on battery power.

2. To Optimize for battery life
    A) Click/tap on the Download button of the file you want below, and go to step 4 below.

Optimize_for_battery_life.bat

Download

OR

Optimize_for_battery_life_Turn-ON_Allow_video_to_play_at_lower_resolution_when_on_battery.bat

Download

OR

Optimize_for_battery_life_Turn-OFF_Allow_video_to_play_at_lower_resolution_when_on_battery.bat

Download

AND/OR

Optimize_for_battery_life_Turn_ON_Dont_automatically_process_video_when_on_battery.bat

Download

OR

Optimize_for_battery_life_Turn_OFF_Dont_automatically_process_video_when_on_battery.bat

Download

3. To Optimize for video quality
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the BAT file below, and go to step 4 below.

Optimize_for_video_quality.bat

Download
    4. Save the .bat file to your desktop.

5. Unblock the .bat file.

6. Run the .bat file.

7. When finished, you can delete the downloaded .bat file if you like.

OPTION FOUR [/i] To Change Video Playback Battery Options in Power Options

*note This option is the same as selecting either Optimize for battery life or Optimize for video quality in the Battery options drop down in Settings for what you want when watching movies and videos on battery power.
    1. Open your advanced power plan settings.

2. In Power Options, expand open Multimedia settings and Video playback quality bias. (see screenshot below)

3. Select Video playback power-savings bias (Optimize for battery life) or Video playback performance bias (Optimize for video quality) in the On battery drop down for what you want when watching movies and videos on battery power, and click/tap on OK.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Apr 27, 2018

2. window 10 video playback trouble

Hi David,

We appreciate you for being part of Windows 10.

Before proceeding, we need whether you play the video from the website/Movies and TV app?

I suggest you to run the video playback troubleshooter and check if it resolves the issue. Follow the below steps.

• Press Windows + X keys on the keyboard and select
      Control Panel

• Type Troubleshooting in the search bar on the
      Control Panel.

• Click on Hardware and devices under
      Troubleshoot computer problems.

• Click on Video playback under Windows.

• Click on Advanced on the Video playback dialog box and click on
      Run as administrator (Enter the credentials if required).

• Click on Next and follow onscreen instruction complete the Video playback troubleshooter.

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Kiran Kishore, Oct 26, 2019
  3. Playback video problems

Hi Rod,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community and being a part of Windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing in accessing the videos on Windows Media Player. We will help you with this issue.

Do let us know the following to assist you better with this issue:

• What is the make and model of your device?
    • What exactly happens when you try to access the playback videos?

Try the below troubleshooting steps and check if it helps.

Step 1: I suggest you to run the below troubleshooters and check if it helps.

Steps:

• Press Windows key, type troubleshooting
      and select it.
    • Click on View all in the left pane.
    • Click onWindows Media Player DVD and follow the onscreen instructions.
    • Follow the same to Windows Media Player Settings as well.

Also, refer to the Microsoft article to know more about:
    Windows Media Player

Step 2: I suggest you to install the pending updates on your device and check if it helps.

Steps:

• Connect to the internet.
    • Press Windows key and type
      updates.
    • Click on Check for updates.
    • Under Windows Updates, click on
      Check for updates.
    • Try to install the updates being shown.

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of this issue for further assistance.

Deepika Gowda, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Change Video Playback Settings in Windows 10

color fails on video playback

Hi,

Thank you for posting your question in the Microsoft Community.

I appreciate your efforts to work on this issue.

Please help me answer these questions to get more clarity on this issue:

1. Are you aware of any changes made to the PC prior to this issue?
    2. Are you accessing Facebook on a browser or using an app?
    3. Is the color fade issue specific to playing video on Facebook?

This issue can occur if some of the system files and drivers are not working as expected.

A: Suggest you to
    update the display driver
    from Device Manager and restart the computer to check if that helps.

B: If you accessing Facebook using a browser, then suggest you to use a different browser to check if that makes any difference.

You may also want to make changes to the ‘Advanced power settings’ under Control Panel – Power Options-‘Multimedia Settings’.

• Expand Multimedia Settings’.
    • Expand ‘When playing video’.
    • Click on ‘Optimize power savings’ for both ‘On Battery and ‘Plugged in’ drop down.
    • Click ‘Apply’ and ‘Ok’. If need be then restart the computer to check if that helps with the video quality.

C: Further, you may also want to refer to the
    video playback settings in Windows 10
    and check if that makes any difference.

Hope this helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed.

Regards,

Srimadhwa B

Microsoft Community-Moderator

Srimadhwa_B, Oct 26, 2019
  5. Windows 10 video playback problems

Hi Joseph,

Thank you for being a part of Windows 10 Insider Preview.

I appreciate you for providing details about the issue and we are glad to assist.

Try the following methods and check if it helps:

Method 1: Run the Video Playback troubleshooter and check if it helps.

Follow the below steps:

• Type troubleshooting in the search bar.
    • Select Troubleshooting.
    • Select View all on the top left corner.
    • Click on Video Playback.
    • Follow the on-screen instructions to run the troubleshooter.

If the issue persists then follow the below method.

Method 2:

I suggest you to update the Display adapters driver from the Device Manager and check if it works.

Follow the below steps:

• Right click on Start button and click on Device Manager.
    • Select the Graphic driver from the list by extending Display adapters.
    • Right click on the Graphic driver and click on Update driver Software.

If the issue persists then install the latest graphic driver from the manufacturer and check if it helps.

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Harshavardhan Rathod, Oct 26, 2019
  6. Mrs. Ipps Win User
    Windows 10 video playback problems

This helped my issue, for now, i'll keep monitoring. Thank you!

Mrs. Ipps, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

Change Video Playback Settings in Windows 10

1. Change Video Playback Settings in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Change Video Playback

2. Windows 10 video playback

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 video playback: All videos I play stutter. Meaning they rapidly play/pause. This happens in youtube, rumble, windows media, and all other players. Same issue in all browsers I've tried.My display settings seem on point. Refresh rate is correct.I've fully updated windows 10.I've re-installed...
  3. Windows 10 video playback

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 video playback: All videos I play stutter. Meaning they rapidly play/pause. This happens in youtube, rumble, windows media, and all other players. Same issue in all browsers I've tried.My display settings seem on point. Refresh rate is correct.I've fully updated windows 10.I've re-installed...
  4. Windows 10 video playback

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. No video playback with Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    No video playback with Windows 10?: Hello, I can't play back videos after today. Be it the ZDF/ARD Mediathek, Facebook or my video in the files, nowhere to play it. With Firefox nothing works with Chrome already. Thanks for your answer in advance!...
  6. video playback on windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    video playback on windows 10: I just updated my windows 10 to try and fix my video playback but it did not help what can be done to fix this problem? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/video-playback-on-windows-10/bb917597-7f82-4762-b027-f930f5e006c3
  7. Video Playback

in Windows 10 Customization
    Video Playback: When I go to Netflix, amazon video, u-tube etc. and play a video it goes to max size and I can see only about an eighth of it. Until I hit play, all is normal. I have looked at all settings and can find nothing. HELP!...
  8. Video Playback Settings in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Video Playback Settings in Windows 10: [ATTACH] Windows 10 offers native support for UWP and third-party apps, for example, Hulu, Netflix, and Vudu, to utilize the video platform that’s built into Windows. With the available Video Playback Settings, Windows 10 users can configure how streaming content will be...
  9. Video playback

in Windows 10 Customization
    Video playback: Hi, my laptop recently crashed whilst playing video and now most of the time when playing video, be it using Google Chrome, Windows media player or even the video in the video playback settings, the red and green will be desaturated leaving mostly just the blue, dose not...
  10. Videos playback

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Videos playback: Since a couple of days ago I cannot play videos properly (on line, or from my own files on the computer). I posted this in a Chrome Forum, it explains my problem: For me, this just started recently (a few days ago) and it does not affect all videos, just some seemingly at...