Windows 10: Change Width of Taskbar Buttons in Windows

Discus and support Change Width of Taskbar Buttons in Windows in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Change Width of Taskbar Buttons in Windows How to Change Width of Taskbar Buttons in Windows Windows includes a special application desktop... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Mar 16, 2018.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Change Width of Taskbar Buttons in Windows

How to: Change Width of Taskbar Buttons in Windows

How to Change Width of Taskbar Buttons in Windows

Windows includes a special application desktop toolbar called the taskbar that shows on the bottom of a display screen by default. The taskbar allows you to find, see, open, and switch between your apps. You can also see the specify how taskbar buttons group together when you have more than one window open.

If you like, you can change the width of your taskbar buttons to allow more or less label text to show.

This tutorial will show you how to change the width of taskbar buttons for your account in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10.

*Warning This will not work if you have the taskbar set to Always combine, hide labels to show icons instead of buttons.

EXAMPLE: Taskbar buttons width

Change Width of Taskbar Buttons in Windows [​IMG]

Here's How:

1. Press the Win+R keys to open Run, type regedit into Run, and click/tap on OK to open Registry Editor.

2. Navigate to the key below in the left pane of Registry Editor. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics

3. In the right pane of the WindowMetrics key, double click/tap on the MinWidth string value (REG_SZ) to modify it. (see screenshot above)

*note If you do not have a MinWidth string value, then right click on an empty space in the right pane of the WindowMetrics key, click/tap on New, click/tap on String Value, type MinWidth for the name, and press Enter.

4. Type a number between 38 (default - narrower) to 500 (wider) for the taskbar buttons width size you want, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

5. Close Registry Editor.

6. restart the computer to apply.

7. You may need to repeat these steps a few times until you find a width you like for your taskbar buttons.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Mar 16, 2018

2. How to reduce width of the taskbar buttons?

Hello,

This is in reference to this tutorial.

What I want to do is to reduce the width of the taskbar buttons even further...that is, even shorter width than what's shown as size 38 in that tutorial. I want the buttons in my taskbar to show their respective icons along with only 3-4 characters of text.

I remember that I accomplished this in my previous Windows installation (Windows 7 (64-bit)), using the same method as discussed in that tutorial with some value (which I can't recall). But somehow, I can't seem to make it happen in Windows 10.

Some of the values I've tried are: 10, 52,54, 55, 58 and a few more.

Please suggest a suitable value/method to make it happen in my Windows 10.

Ten64BitUser, Oct 27, 2019
  3. f14tomcat Win User

@Brink

Morning, Shawn. Are these backward? Or do I need more coffee? *Smile

f14tomcat, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Change Width of Taskbar Buttons in Windows

taskbar button icon width

I found in seven forum a solution from Brink about this
    Code:
    Code:
    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/21233-taskbar-change-icon-button-width-size.html
    Is it working that?

How can I reduce the taskbar button icon width?

OliverPedro, Oct 27, 2019
  5. SUP
    sup Win User
  6. Change the width of the "Language Indicator" in the taskbar

I came to conclusion that changing font of the taskbar requires editing of the msstyles file – it's too complicated for my purpose. So, I managed to decrease font only in the Language Indicator. I did the following steps:
    Control Panel → Language → Advanced settings → check box "use the desktop language bar when it's available" → Options.
    In the Language Bar tab select "Floating on Desktop".
    After that I moved the Language Bar to the bottom of the screen in right corner and slided it to the left – it has docked itself in the taskbar:

Finally, I clicked Options (downhead arrow or right click) and unchecked "Help Button" and "Additional icons in taskbar". This is what I've got:

WerewolfGirl, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

1. Change Width of Taskbar Buttons in Windows - Similar Threads - Change Width Taskbar

2. Registry for Taskbar width

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Registry for Taskbar width: Is there a way to change the taskbar (vertical) width with a registry key edit? I know 7+ taskbar tweaker can do it, so I was thinking if I can do that manually with a registry edit. I wanna make the taskbar width smaller than u can by dragging on default windows settings....
  3. Change the width of the cursor

in Windows 10 Support
    Change the width of the cursor: How to change the width of the cursor ascii 124 (vertical line). 134665
  4. Taskbar width

in Windows 10 Customization
    Taskbar width: I have accidentally clicked on something and now my task bar is too wide. I have tried everything but can't get it back to normal. Help please https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/taskbar-width/254bb810-3a97-4975-966b-b9a6b5ff436e
  5. Resize the width of the taskbar in Windows10

Resize the width of the taskbar in Windows10: How do I resize the width of the taskbar? It takes up 1/3 of the screen. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/resize-the-width-of-the-taskbar-in-windows10/c5a5c7e9-4831-40eb-8ee3-341e7847af11
  6. taskbar button icon width

taskbar button icon width: I found in seven forum a solution from Brink about this HTML Code: "]Windows 7 Help Forums Is it working that? How can I reduce the taskbar button icon width? 18442
  7. Change the width of the "Language Indicator" in the taskbar

Change the width of the "Language Indicator" in the taskbar: After applying new theme on Windows 10, the font of the taskbar became bigger, so the word ENG was cropped on both sides how shown in image: [img] How can I increase the width of the Input Indicator? Or, as alternative, reduce font size in the taskbar. 51442
  8. Vertical taskbar width

Vertical taskbar width: There's a really nice tutorial on the old forums -> Taskbar - Change Icon Button Width Size - Windows 7 Help Forums Unfortunately it doesn't seem to work for Windows 10. Is there a way to make the vertical taskbar as thin as the horizontal one? 95810
  9. How to reduce width of the taskbar buttons?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to reduce width of the taskbar buttons?: Hello, This is in reference to this tutorial. What I want to do is to reduce the width of the taskbar buttons even further...that is, even shorter width than what's shown as size 38 in that tutorial. I want the buttons in my taskbar to show their respective icons along...
  10. Change Height or Width Size of Taskbar in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Height or Width Size of Taskbar in Windows 10: How to: Change Height or Width Size of Taskbar in Windows 10 How to Change Height or Width Size of Taskbar in Windows 10 Windows includes a special application desktop toolbar called the taskbar that shows on the bottom of a display screen by default. The taskbar allows...