Windows 10: Use Large or Small Taskbar Buttons in Windows 10

Discus and support Use Large or Small Taskbar Buttons in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Use Large or Small Taskbar Buttons in Windows 10 How to Use Large or Small Taskbar Buttons in Windows 10 Windows includes a special... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Dec 7, 2016.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Use Large or Small Taskbar Buttons in Windows 10

How to: Use Large or Small Taskbar Buttons in Windows 10

How to Use Large or Small Taskbar Buttons in Windows 10

Windows includes a special application desktop toolbar called the taskbar that shows on the bottom of a display screen by default. The taskbar allows you to find, see, open, and switch between your apps. You can also see the specify how taskbar buttons group together when you have more than one window open.

The taskbar is the long horizontal bar at the bottom of your desktop. You can use large or small taskbar buttons.

This tutorial will show you how to use large or small taskbar buttons for your account in Windows 10.

*note If you turned on Use small taskbar buttons, then show badges on taskbar buttons will be disabled.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Set to Use Large or Small Taskbar Buttons in Settings
    • Option Two: Set to Use Large or Small Taskbar Buttons using a BAT file

EXAMPLE: Large or Small Taskbar Buttons

Use Large or Small Taskbar Buttons in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] Set to Use Large or Small Taskbar Buttons in Settings
    1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the Personalization icon.

2. Click/tap on Taskbar on the left side, and turn On or Off (default) Use small taskbar buttons on the right side. (see screenshot below)

3. You can now close Settings if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] Set to Use Large or Small Taskbar Buttons using a BAT file

*note The .bat files below will modify the DWORD value in the registry key below.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced

TaskbarSmallIcons DWORD

0 = Large taskbar buttons
    1 = Small taskbar buttons

1. Do step 2 (large) or step 3 (small) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Use Large Taskbar Buttons
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the BAT file below, and go to step 4 below.

Use_large_taskbar_buttons.bat

Download

3. To Use Small Taskbar Buttons
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the BAT file below, and go to step 4 below.

Use_small_taskbar_buttons.bat

Download
    4. Save the .bat file to your desktop.

5. Unblock the .bat file.

6. Run the .bat file.

7. You will now notice your screen flicker and a command prompt quickly opens and closes as explorer is restarted to apply the registry changes.

8. When finished, you can delete the downloaded .bat file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Dec 7, 2016
  2. Ma. Lau Win User

Small icons setting won't change

I suggest that you change or uncheck Use small taskbar buttons by following the steps below:

• Right-click the Taskbar.
    • Select Properties.
    • In the Taskbar tab make sure that Use small taskbar is
      uncheck

Use Large or Small Taskbar Buttons in Windows 10 e377d97f-489c-45cb-8856-ca9160202472.jpg
    • Click Apply and OK.
    If the issue still persists, you can change the size of desktop icons.

• Right-click an empty space on the desktop.
    • Select View and choose either Large, Medium or Small icons.
    • Check if you can change the size of the taskbar button.
    Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Ma. Lau, Oct 26, 2019
  3. srhaymes Win User
    Ubuntu Large Taskbar Button Icon Broken on Windows 10 update 1803

To All,

This morning, when I booted my PC, the Ubuntu large taskbar button icon became broken. I am running Windows 10 update 1803. Instead of showing the former nice orange and white icon, it shows an ugly looking, corrupted icon. When I turn on "Use small taskbar buttons" the icon looks nice again. I do not use the small taskbar buttons. Unpinning and then re-pinning Ubuntu does not work. I have tried this a few times. Rebooting does not work. I have tried this a few times too. Other large taskbar button icons look OK. When new start menu programs are pinned to the taskbar, their large button icons look OK. How to I fix this problem?

Thank you

srhaymes, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Use Large or Small Taskbar Buttons in Windows 10

Ubuntu Large Taskbar Button Icon Broken on Windows 10 update 1803

To All,

This morning, when I booted my PC, the Ubuntu large taskbar button icon became broken. I am running Windows 10 update 1803. Instead of showing the former nice orange and white icon, it shows an ugly looking, corrupted icon. When I turn on "Use small taskbar
    buttons" the icon looks nice again. I do
    not use the small taskbar buttons.
    Unpinning and then re-pinning Ubuntu does not work. I have tried this a few times. Rebooting does not work. I have tried this a few times too. Other large taskbar button icons look OK. When new start
    menu programs are pinned to the taskbar, their large button icons look OK. How to I fix this problem?

Thank you,

Steven Haymes, Oct 26, 2019
  5. W10 taskbar icons too small

I would agree that the Windows 10 taskbar buttons/icons are too small, much smaller than Win 7 or 8. The response below suggests going into the taskbar Properties and unchecking 'use small taskbar buttons', but I have had this unchecked the whole time,
    and the taskbar buttons are still too small, annoyingly so.

RobbiePeele, Oct 26, 2019
  6. Arul_D Win User
    Taskbar too large

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and thank you for posting your query.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused to you. Let me help you to fix the issue.

Let’s try simple troubleshooting steps and check if that helps. Follow the below method.

• Right click on the task bar and click on properties.

• On taskbar tab, uncheck the box Use small taskbar button
      and click on Apply.
    Hope this information helps. Please post us with the status we will be glad to assist you.

Arul_D, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

Use Large or Small Taskbar Buttons in Windows 10

1. Use Large or Small Taskbar Buttons in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Large Small Taskbar

2. Icons get weird when "use small taskbar buttons" is on

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Icons get weird when "use small taskbar buttons" is on: Whenever i activate the "use small taskbar buttons" option some of the icons get weird, any idea of why this happens?Already tried restarting the taskbar, don't know what else to do.with option off:with option on:...
  3. Icons get weird when "use small taskbar buttons" is on

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Icons get weird when "use small taskbar buttons" is on: Whenever i activate the "use small taskbar buttons" option some of the icons get weird, any idea of why this happens?Already tried restarting the taskbar, don't know what else to do.with option off:with option on:...
  4. Icons get weird when "use small taskbar buttons" is on

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. How to make the taskbar smaller? (Already using small taskbar buttons)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to make the taskbar smaller? (Already using small taskbar buttons): thanks! submitted by /u/Frankie4Fingarz [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/jhqdc8/how_to_make_the_taskbar_smaller_already_using/
  6. How to show date in the taskbar when using "taskbar small buttons"? (Without dragging the...

How to show date in the taskbar when using "taskbar small buttons"? (Without dragging the...: this is a really simple issue: When small taskbar button is activated the date disappears from the taskbar. When I google this problem, I only find a reference to an App called T-Clock which hasn't been updated in 3 years and also doesnt work. Another "solution" is to unlock...
  7. Small buttons in the taskbar and hour + date

Small buttons in the taskbar and hour + date: Is that possible? I would like to use the small buttons for my taskbar, for having a little more space in my 13' laptop and because I like that tiny buttons. But I like to have the date together with the time (I'm really bad at telling which day is...). I know, it isn't the...
  8. Secondary taskbar buttons are small

Secondary taskbar buttons are small: Hi everyone, I've recently tried with a secondary taskbar but on the secondary taskbar the buttons are small. I've looked a bit through settings but cannot find anything to change it. There is a setting to change between large and small buttons on primary taskbar ie the large...
  9. Quick Launch taskbar: small is too small, large is too large

Quick Launch taskbar: small is too small, large is too large: I am quite reluctantly forced to move down to the unfriendly UI of Windows 10 from Windows 7. I have enabled the Quick Launch toolbar, and have added the shortcuts I normally use there. The trouble is, the size of the icons is not consistent with the rest of the taskbar....
  10. Taskbar buttons using small and large size at same time.

in Windows 10 Support
    Taskbar buttons using small and large size at same time.: Welp, I can't seem to fix this one out of nowhere my taskbar icons are as show in the picture are using the small setting for most and the correct big setting for like two now. Swapping the setting does nothing besides making them all small as intended then going back it...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. large taskbar buttons windows 10 still too small