Windows 10: Rebuild Font Cache in Windows 10

Discus and support Rebuild Font Cache in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Rebuild Font Cache in Windows 10 How to Rebuild Font Cache in Windows 10 The font cache is a file or set of files used by Windows to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by ddelo, Mar 19, 2017.

1. ddelo Win User

Rebuild Font Cache in Windows 10

How to: Rebuild Font Cache in Windows 10

How to Rebuild Font Cache in Windows 10

The font cache is a file or set of files used by Windows to manage and display the fonts that are installed on your PC. Sometimes the font cache may become corrupted and cause fonts to be garbled or not appear properly. To fix the font cache corruption, you will need to delete the old font cache and restart the computer afterwards to rebuild a new font cache.

This tutorial will show you how to rebuild the font cache to repair it in Windows 10.

*Warning You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to rebuild the font cache.

Here's How:

1. Click/tap on the download button below to download the Rebuild_Font_Cache.bat file.
    Download

Rebuild Font Cache in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Note Here is the contents of the .bat file for reference:

Code:
    2. Save the .bat file to your desktop.

3. Unblock the .bat file.

4. Right click or press and hold on the .bat file, and click/tap on Run as administrator.

5. An elevated command prompt will now open, run the commands in the .bat file to delete the font cache, and close.

6. When finished, restart the computer to rebuild a new font cache.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

ddelo, Mar 19, 2017
  2. Sumit Dhiman2, Mar 19, 2017
  3. where can i download the standard microsoft font pack?

1. To restore your fonts in Windows 10

Type Fonts in Windows Start Search box > Click Fonts > Click Font Settings on left side > Click Restore default font settings > Restart your computer

2. If you don't get respite, you will need to build your font cache.

https://winaero.com/blog/rebuild-font-cache-win...

E for Excel, Mar 19, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello @Dimitri, *Smile

I like *FontCache* better than ~FontCache as well. I also added a check in the .bat to verify if the service has stopped before continuing.

Brink, Mar 19, 2017
  5. RedBoy Win User
    Hi Shawn,

I tried your script on our windows 10 machine... it deleted the FNTCACHE.DAT file in the windows32 folder but not the other ones in the other location. There was no complaint by the system that I could see.

Ideas?

Jeffrey

RedBoy, May 29, 2017
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Jeffrey, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

That's ok. It's normal for it to not be able to delete some of the font caches that are currently in use. Plus, some of them get recreated fresh almost immediately after being deleted.

Brink, May 29, 2017
  7. roger1313 Win User
    Hi Shawn,

My SSD crashed on me when I started for the first time after my holidays.
    Everything else was okay, but my fonts were not working properly. The Windows Fonts folder was showing only a handful on fonts even though many more were installed.
    When I used your *.bat (Thanks a lot for creating it, btw!!) & do the restart everything seems back to normal: all the fonts show up in the Fonts folder & are displayed correctly in Indesign/Word.
    But when I restart another time, it's back to the old problem: only a handful show up in the folder, and the others are not displyed correctly in Indesign.
    Any idea what I could do to stop this behaviour?

thanks a lot from Germany,
    Roger

roger1313, Jun 18, 2017
  8. JDodd Win User

Shawn,

Your .bat 'fix' worked wonderfully yesterday - made all my installed fonts accessible in the Word 2007 drop-down list. but this morning after booting up, everything is back to "There is insufficient memory or disk space.Word cannot display the requested font".

What is weird is that Excel 2007 (installed from the same Office 2007 diskette) can access all the fonts and has never given me this error message. I just added to an existing Excel workbook with no problem changing fonts or text size. WHY just Word? This situation started for me two days ago, and never occurred before then. I tried the 'rename the .dotm files to old* and my HP printer is using the same drivers it always has used.

Where do we go from here?

JDodd, Jul 18, 2017
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello J, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

Are you low on disk space?

Did you disable the page file, or set the page file too low by chance?

Brink, Jul 18, 2017
  10. JDodd Win User
    1TB hard drive only 1/4 full, and have not made any changes to page file setting. I did find out that Office 365 was installed 7/16/17, and I just removed that - it seems that my challenge started then!! That must have been Microsoft forcing it onto my PC, as I did nothing to install it!! Still working to get my Office 2007 set up again, as it seems to be needing something.......

JDodd, Jul 18, 2017
  11. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Jul 18, 2017
  12. JDodd Win User
    I have been successfully using Office 2007 on 5 Lenovo laptops running Windows 10, and this one is the only one experiencing this problem - which started 3 days ago.

JDodd, Jul 18, 2017
  13. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Jul 18, 2017
  14. JDodd Win User
    I uninstalled Office 365, rebooted, then went to Control Panel-->Programs and Features-->(right clicked on) Microsoft Office Standard 2007-->'Change'-->Repair, let the repair run, then rebooted, and the fonts are now there - again!! This really seems to have been caused by the forced installation of Office 365 on my laptop three days ago (thank you, Microsoft). If anyone else finds this situation to be cropping up, perhaps they will want to look for Office 365 to have been installed....
    Thank you for such quick replies and your help.

JDodd, Jul 18, 2017
  15. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Great news. Thank you for posting back with your findings. *Smile

Brink, Jul 18, 2017
Thema:

1. Rebuild Font Cache in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Rebuild Font Cache

2. Rebuild Icon Cache no longer effective

in Windows 10 Support
    Rebuild Icon Cache no longer effective: I recently upgraded to Windows 10 20H2 Build 19042.610. Shortly after that a number of icons on my desktop went blank. Properties displays still show correct icons. Tried running Rebuild_Icon_Cache batch file supplied in the tutorials but no success. Any ideas? 167685
  3. Icons invisible on PC icon cache will not rebuild

in Windows 10 Customization
    Icons invisible on PC icon cache will not rebuild: Hello, I have recently been experimenting with replacing the icons for the applications on my PC using a program called "Customizergod" and in this process seemed to have removed all the icons in my file explore, desktop, etc. I've tried many solutions such as rebuilding the...
  4. How to Rebuild Icon Cache, Clear Thumbnail cache in Windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How to Rebuild Icon Cache, Clear Thumbnail cache in Windows 10: Hi, I am facing problem as the Progress Bar keep running green after the optional windows update of KB455094 though I have deleted it but the problem remain same. Even Explorer can not be open unless I reboot computer whenever I have to access folders in Explorer....
  5. Thumbnail Cache Rebuilding Automatically?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Thumbnail Cache Rebuilding Automatically?: Hi. I have two SSDs in my laptop, one of which contains Windows and a few programs, and the other drive is Bitlocker encrypted and contains documents, pictures and games. I am noticing that just recently, my thumbnail cache has rebuilding itself quite frequently, often after...
  6. I tried to rebuild the icon cache

in Windows 10 Support
    I tried to rebuild the icon cache: I tried to rebuild the icon cache. I had no success whatsoever. Here are my screenshots if anyone has an idea: [img] [img] [img] [img] 136373
  7. How do I prevent the font cache from rebuilding at every reboot?

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I prevent the font cache from rebuilding at every reboot?: I've noticed that, since I have a lot of fonts, certain programs (such as iTunes, BabelPad, JDownloader 2, and wxMaxima) hang (or won't start) until the font cache is rebuilt, if they're started immediately after reboot/logon. How do I set it so the cache only rebuilds if the...
  8. To stop Font Cache rebuilding in VLC (subtitles)

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    To stop Font Cache rebuilding in VLC (subtitles): Hi there not particularly W10 specific but I know loads of people use VLC. If you are getting message please wait while font cache is re-built when you have / want subtitles then this method will disable this message and will speed up the process....
  9. Thumbnail cache and icon cache rebuilding after a feature update?

in Windows 10 Support
    Thumbnail cache and icon cache rebuilding after a feature update?: I was curious about the thumbnail cache and icon cache. Do these rebuild themselves after a feature update? I have a small issue with some icons. It so insignificant that I won’t bother manually rebuilding the icon cache but just wondered if a feature update forces something...
  10. Rebuild Icon Cache in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Rebuild Icon Cache in Windows 10: How to: Rebuild Icon Cache in Windows 10 How to Rebuild the Icon Cache in Windows 10 The icons that display for files in Windows are saved in an icon cache so they can be displayed quickly instead of having to manually scan and slowly load them each time. The icon...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. FontCache-S-1-5-21-*.dat